Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City named most diverse city in America: report
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City regains title as most diverse city in U.S.: study

By Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal
February 22, 2017 at 3:16 PM

Jersey City is No. 1 again.

The city has been named the most diverse in the nation in a WalletHub.com study released this morning. Jersey City was No. 1 in 2015 and slipped to No. 2 in 2016, although it was still considered the most diverse mid-size city last year.

"Our diversity is one of our greatest strengths as a city and something for which we are exceptionally proud," Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop said. "Jersey City has always been a welcoming home for new groups seeking a better life, bringing a diversity of cultures, religions, and languages here, which is truly the embodiment of the promise of America."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... most_diverse_city_in.html

Posted on: 2017/2/22 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

margel wrote:
No, these surveys are actually intended to drive web traffic, and hence generate $$$. The survey was conducted by "Wallet Hub" for chrissakes, and yet we're debating it like it came from a serious journalist. New rankings like these come out almost every day, because no matter what criteria is being used, someone comes out on top, and someone else comes out on the bottom, and people in those cities/states/etc. will share the links incessantly. It's very smart business. Just a shame that NJ.com buys into it.

I found this post insightful and hope you contribute more frequently to this forum. It gets kind of old always reading some rehash of the opinions from the same users (usually those with >1k posts).

Posted on: 2015/2/18 20:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
No, these surveys are actually intended to drive web traffic, and hence generate $$$. The survey was conducted by "Wallet Hub" for chrissakes, and yet we're debating it like it came from a serious journalist. New rankings like these come out almost every day, because no matter what criteria is being used, someone comes out on top, and someone else comes out on the bottom, and people in those cities/states/etc. will share the links incessantly. It's very smart business. Just a shame that NJ.com buys into it.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
More than anything, these surveys are usually intended to spark debate. As a result, the "findings" often are provocatively skewed. For instance, I have a hard time (having been to both places quite a few times) believing that Amarillo, Texas is more "diverse" than Seattle.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I take the position that New York City is the most diverse in the U.S. so how we got to be numero uno needs some explanation. People from all nations arrive in Jersey City, not as a result of the "Make it Yours" campaign but rather to be close to New York where they are being priced out and soon will be here. They are most welcome and hope they take an active interest in Jersey City and work to let it prosper as it says on our citys' motto.

I join you in welcoming the diverse newcomers to JC, and - as a relative newcomer myself, 7 years this fall - look forward to seeing how things evolve.

I agree that while outside of Manhattan NYC is very diverse, all the statistics, perceptions, etc. take a back seat to what is happening in Manhattan. I lived in Manhattan 1986 until 2008, and when I moved there felt the communities were quite diverse, age-wise, ethnically, economically - even Greenwich Village! Now most of Manhattan is like a casting call for Sex-in-the-City/Girls/etc. Who knew there were so many rich fathers sending their 20-something daughters to Manhattan... And I personally don't feel Russian/Chinese klepto- and plutocrats add to diversity.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 16:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Mayor Fulop in todays Jersey Journal: "As Manhattan becomes more expensive, Jersey City continues to be a city that allows people to capture the American dream."

True, had he said this 5+ years ago.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Mayor Fulop in todays Jersey Journal: "As Manhattan becomes more expensive, Jersey City continues to be a city that allows people to capture the American dream." The new wave of financial refugees seeking more affordable living conditions will soon realize that Jersey City is becoming a more and more expensive place to live.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I take the position that New York City is the most diverse in the U.S. so how we got to be numero uno needs some explanation. People from all nations arrive in Jersey City, not as a result of the "Make it Yours" campaign but rather to be close to New York where they are being priced out and soon will be here. They are most welcome and hope they take an active interest in Jersey City and work to let it prosper as it says on our citys' motto.

"You take the position", as if this is subjective.

You're the best. Never change, k?

Never forget: Yvonne has no need for facts. She makes them up to suit her needs.

How are they being priced out ?? It's the market or the rate of inflation not price gouging.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 0:12
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Never forget: Yvonne has no need for facts. She makes them up to suit her needs.

Posted on: 2015/2/18 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/17 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
And as our latest attraction: A mardi gras parade is heading down Erie, probably to Newark Ave. Even got me some beads.

Looks like we have a JC krewe!

Posted on: 2015/2/17 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
I grew up in a fairly homogeneous place (white straight Republicans with 2-4 kids) and always said I would live in a diverse city (racial, economic, sexual orientation) when I grew up as I prefer to live in a place that reflects the broader world. It's more interesting that way, meet all types of people and yes better food options.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2001/0205.florida.html

Food options and their high standards!!!

http://www.eater.com/2014/12/30/74678 ... -chinese-food-distributor

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2010/01/post_59.html

Posted on: 2015/2/17 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Binky: "but rather be close to New York"...read it and absorb it completely.

Posted on: 2015/2/17 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
And the women from everywhere around the world are beautiful!

This is a serious topic, please keep the conversation up to the same standard. Thank you.

Posted on: 2015/2/17 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

While I generally grab the popcorn for your latest rantings here, two quick notes/questions:

1. The methodology is clearly contained within the article, so saying ?how we got to be numero uno needs some explanation? is either poor reading comprehension or laziness.

2. Perhaps my reading comprehension is also subpar, but where does anyone attribute this statistic to the ?Make It Yours? campaign? For reference, you stated, ?People from all nations arrive in Jersey City, not as a result of the "Make it Yours" campaign??

Posted on: 2015/2/17 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
And the women from everywhere around the world are beautiful!

Posted on: 2015/2/17 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/17 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up in a fairly homogeneous place (white straight Republicans with 2-4 kids) and always said I would live in a diverse city (racial, economic, sexual orientation) when I grew up as I prefer to live in a place that reflects the broader world. It's more interesting that way, meet all types of people and yes better food options.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2001/0205.florida.html

Posted on: 2015/2/17 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to see a serious paper on what the implications of this information are. For example - does high diversity increase racial and ethnic tolerance? What are the rewards and costs of high diversity in terms of running the city? How does high diversity affect perceived quality of life - more diverse food options, cooler festivals, etc. Are JCites more outraged by the actions of ISIS because our neighbor is a Copt or a local merchant is. Citing stats isn't enough, they are just a goldmine waiting to be explored.

Posted on: 2015/2/17 16:19

Jersey City named most diverse city in America: report
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Summer Dawn Hortillosa | The Jersey Journal

From the gateway days of nearby Ellis Island to today, Jersey City has long been a true American melting pot. It's no surprise, then, that Jersey City is the most diverse city in the country, according to a new survey.

After looking at 350 of the most populated cities in the United States, finance website WalletHub found that Jersey City came in No. 1 in ethno-racial and linguistic diversity.

The study analyzed information from the U.S. Census Bureau in three categories: racial and ethnic diversity, which weighed the most, as well as language diversity and region of birth diversity.

I happen to live in the Dominican, Brazilian and Haitian section of the city.

More

Posted on: 2015/2/17 15:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017