Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 13 »

Re: Downtown Jersey City businesses take on local farmers market

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/27 18:34
From Historic Downtown, JC
Group:
Registered Users
As a newer resident and a big advocate of the food truck movement across the US, follow the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=889789817739558

There could just be a silver lining if this goes anything like the direction of Portland, OR

Posted on: 2015/2/19 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
I agree that we should compile a list of known businesses who pushed this agenda which harms the people of Jersey City and limits choice. I for one will not give any of these businesses a penny going forward.

If you know more reply and copy/paste the list below with any new additions. So far:

Two Boots
Bistro/Coffeeshop
Ibby's

Two Boots
Bistro/Coffeeshop
Ibby's
Park and Sixth
Orale
La Conguita
Barcade
Beachwood Caf?
Little Sandwich Shop

The last six were mentioned by Two Boots on a previous thread as being part of the group. Barcade totally shocks me and makes no sense. Seems to me that after eating something off the food trucks or booths, washing it down with a microbrew at Barcade would be great. They don't even have much of a food menu. Ah well, I mostly just play video games there anyway, after I've had a stressful day.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

And the Bistro/Coffee Shop megaplex is ridiculous. It has 2 stars on Yelp, but yet the place is always packed - what's up with that?

Because it's convenient, sterile yet "nice" enough looking and they have a couple cheap ($2/$3?) drafts. And more to the point Tommy, I'd bet that 75% of the patrons have moved to JC within the past 12-24 months and that's what they're looking for. But hey, there's always money to be made catering to the lowest common denominator.

Man, and that space deserves so much better. Maybe someday. I actually think that the newer residents have more discerning tastes, generally. But then again, I guess I'm generalizing.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that we should compile a list of known businesses who pushed this agenda which harms the people of Jersey City and limits choice. I for one will not give any of these businesses a penny going forward.

If you know more reply and copy/paste the list below with any new additions. So far:

Two Boots
Bistro/Coffeeshop
Ibby's

Posted on: 2015/2/19 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

And the Bistro/Coffee Shop megaplex is ridiculous. It has 2 stars on Yelp, but yet the place is always packed - what's up with that?

Because it's convenient, sterile yet "nice" enough looking and they have a couple cheap ($2/$3?) drafts. And more to the point Tommy, I'd bet that 75% of the patrons have moved to JC within the past 12-24 months and that's what they're looking for. But hey, there's always money to be made catering to the lowest common denominator.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Regarding the food truck thing - yes, super lame, and just a sign as to how stupid Jersey City can be, in all honesty. Just petty, stupid stuff, in line with all the weirdos who don't want the one block stretch of Newark Ave to be a pedestrian plaza.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's the members of the Jersey City Downtown Special Improvement District, but don't quote me on that because I see a lot more than 17 different restaurants listed as members on the website. Plus, some of the restaurants on the list couldn't have possibly cared about or pushed for this, because they are mainly dependent on alcohol sales and the farmers market wouldn't be an issue with that. I don't know what other organization would have pushed this though.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Two Boots is benefiting from Porta being next door. Especially on the weekends. Porta's kitchen closes at 10 and the place becomes a bar/dance club. That's the perfect recipe for a lot of hungry people going directly next door for a couple of slices.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PremiumContent wrote:
I was in Two Boots last week and there weren't any seats available so they must not be doing that bad. I don't think Two Boots and Porta are comparable in any way.

Agreed. Just like Two boots and food trucks arent comparable.

But really, fu?k that bistro place and their boring ass white bread bullshit.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Another vote for releasing that list. I don't care if my favorite places are on it, I will not give any of them a red cent if I find out they had a hand in this. 2B and bistro have both been axed for a long while. Who's got the balls to stand up for what they believe in? C'mon donkey restaurant owners, don't hide now.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I was in Two Boots last week and there weren't any seats available so they must not be doing that bad. I don't think Two Boots and Porta are comparable in any way.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
Two of the people heading this up are the Grove St. Bistro maniac, and Two-Boots.

I wonder how long Two Boots will be able to hang in there now that Porta seems to have siphoned away much of his business. Since Porta has opened, I've noticed that Two Boots is either empty or has two customers at most in there whenever I walk by. Talk about going after the wrong target.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Two of the people heading this up are the Grove St. Bistro maniac, and Two-Boots.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
WTF? Did the City Council have a vote on this and nuke food trucks? Really poor decision for JC residents.

Going to a food truck is a totally different outing than going to a restaurant. Any restaurant with a solid offering has nothing to fear.

Once again JC can be relied on for one step forward two steps back decisions...

Posted on: 2015/2/19 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Unfortunately, it looks like the greedy business owners won this one.

I spoke to a food truck operator today who told me that food trucks have been completely banned from the Grove St Plaza. This includes the farmers market but also includes every night. Makes sense because I haven't seen them there for a while.

I believe this is a victory for crony capitalism and a step backwards for modernization and the people of Jersey City.

What a surprise. There's a list of businesses out there that are all part of some association that pushed for this, but I'm too lazy to look for it now. When I do find it, I'll make a point not to patronize any of them.

Oh well, at least we still have Uber and Lyft and the taxicab/car service lobby isn't nearly as strong.

Yes, someone please list these restaurants so I can never visit them again.

It is not just trucks, it is booths as well, or so I was told.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i think should have imposed a durable compromise. maybe they can put the food trucks on columbus. i think the restaurants did themselves a dis service

Posted on: 2015/2/19 11:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I spoke to a food truck operator today who told me that food trucks have been completely banned from the Grove St Plaza. This includes the farmers market but also includes every night. Makes sense because I haven't seen them there for a while.

I believe this is a victory for crony capitalism and a step backwards for modernization and the people of Jersey City.

What a surprise. There's a list of businesses out there that are all part of some association that pushed for this, but I'm too lazy to look for it now. When I do find it, I'll make a point not to patronize any of them.

Oh well, at least we still have Uber and Lyft and the taxicab/car service lobby isn't nearly as strong.

Yes, someone please list these restaurants so I can never visit them again.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/19 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/19 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
RIP Cinnamon Snail

http://gothamist.com/2015/02/14/rip_cinnamon_snail_truck.php

"At the end of this month, on February 28th, our permit expires, and there is not a new one available to us. I have thoroughly explored every possible way to continue having our truck(s) on the streets, but it's time for a change for us.

Running food trucks is a very problem ridden business model. Much as I have absolutely loved being able to do it, running the Cinnamon Snail been emotionally and physically exhausting for me and my family.

As many of you know, over the years we have had every type of emergency, from generators catching fire, engines needing to be replaced, to police harassment, parking problems, and being chased off by other food trucks and restaurants. That says nothing of the endless logistical complications of running a food truck year round, things you wouldn't think of, like preventing our plumbing from freezing at night, which prevents us from having working hand sinks and forcing us to take the day to have all our pipes replaced. We have dealt with all the obstacles that have been thrown our way, but there is no light at the end of the tunnel, where running a food truck will be without these types of issues that make the business very difficult to be profitable in.

There is a misconception about food trucks, that we have very low overhead. Like any restaurant, we do in fact pay very high rent on our kitchen, where we prepare everything that we use on the truck from our donuts, to sauces and condiments. But in addition to a restaurant, any little mechanical problem on our truck, can cost us days on the street, and sometimes result in us having to throw out or give away thousands of dollars of food. We face every problem a regular brick and mortar restaurant deals with, plus many more problems that are unique to food truck life."

Posted on: 2015/2/14 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
farm fresh at Grove St farmers market - jersey city - make it yours

Resized Image

Sounds fine to me. Who is this taking business away from, the concession stand at the movie theater in the Newport Mall?

Tender Shoots farms has mentioned that they have been hurt on the days the market is open.

Posted on: 2014/11/4 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

Resized Image

Sounds fine to me. Who is this taking business away from, the concession stand at the movie theater in the Newport Mall?

Posted on: 2014/11/4 4:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/11/4 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
I tried calling Two Boots of Jersey City for more insight on Aaron Morrill's logic about the outdoor market, food trucks and the supposed unfair competition they create and he's never been in the store when I call (I try to call at non-mealtimes). The employees say he's rarely in the store at all, just once a week usually.

Also, he claims Two Boots is a "local" business employing only local residents and using local contractors (which I have a hard time believing, but okay), yet when I look on the Two Boots website, I see locations all over New York City, and also in Nashville, Baltimore and Los Angeles. Seems like a pizza chain that has the whole country pretty well covered. Certainly not limited to just Jersey City. By his logic, the McDonald's across the street from the Grove Street PATH should be considered a "local" business too. Ibby's has a better case in that department - they only have one other store and it's elsewhere in New Jersey.

"Local business" my ass.

You sound....kind of nuts. He's not obligated to take some random person from an online forum's phone calls to hear everything you've already stated on this board. He's also already addressed the other locations with you and decided to remove himself from the thread. Let it go dude! People like you are the reason I would never engage in a forum like this if I were a business owner. Save your angst for community meetings or in a public forum where it's appropriate.

Personally I enjoy all the food trucks and vendors. I also see the point being made by local business's. I'd be disappointed if the trucks and food vendors were forced out on a permanent basis so I hope some kind of resolution can be reached- possibly just a matter of regulating how long/how many vendors can be there?

Posted on: 2014/10/27 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I tried calling Two Boots of Jersey City for more insight on Aaron Morrill's logic about the outdoor market, food trucks and the supposed unfair competition they create and he's never been in the store when I call (I try to call at non-mealtimes). The employees say he's rarely in the store at all, just once a week usually.

Also, he claims Two Boots is a "local" business employing only local residents and using local contractors (which I have a hard time believing, but okay), yet when I look on the Two Boots website, I see locations all over New York City, and also in Nashville, Baltimore and Los Angeles. Seems like a pizza chain that has the whole country pretty well covered. Certainly not limited to just Jersey City. By his logic, the McDonald's across the street from the Grove Street PATH should be considered a "local" business too. Ibby's has a better case in that department - they only have one other store and it's elsewhere in New Jersey.

"Local business" my ass.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting stuff. To me, there is no controversy: Farmers Market and Grove events are what Downtown is about. The two most vocal opponents here are new to the area (as business entities, anyways), and seem to not understand what the community wants and needs. I will not bother being critical of these two, noting the last time I did the Two Boots crew resorted to name calling and blasting me for made up nonsense. As far as slices at GB goes, the option becomes less appealing with each price increase.

With the rush of people coming to the area, there is such a huge opportunity to build up your customer base with the right business, service level and product. This tact seems counterproductive, generating only ill-will toward the business' and their owners. And it all seems a bit desperate: farmers market isn't the problem with your business, if you ask most people. that much is clear.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chainsawhand wrote:
Quote:

TwoBootsJC wrote:
Unfairness is unfairness and I'm sorry that some folks can't see that.

I'm going to sign off now because being a human pinata is starting to wear me down. I've got pizza to deliver.

Best to all.
Aaron

But is the ability to sell a mobile meal an unfair advantage, or just a competitive advantage? Is your ability to deliver pizza an unfair advantage over another pizzeria that can't afford a delivery vehicle? Or should all brick and mortar establishments be forced to only operate from within the boundaries of their brick and mortar? Is it an unfair advantage to the food trucks that you can deliver a pizza to an apartment that is right next where they are parked?

And how does Torico's manage to stay in business while ice cream trucks roam the streets without complaining to the local government?

Because Torico's actually has good ice cream that you can get whenever they're open! The trucks sell mostly packaged crap that is only available when the truck drives through your neighborhood. Never bought anything from them, but it's nice for other people to have the choice. Imagine that. Torico's doesn't have a problem with the trucks because they focus on making their ice cream good. Perhaps other storefront establishments could take a hint from them.

While all these storefront merchants are complaining about the farmers market, I called council member Candace Osborne's office to register a NON-COMPLAINT about the farmer's market. I called to NOT complain, and say that I, as a consumer, had no problem with the tables selling food out on the plaza and it is just too bad if the storefront places don't like it.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 14:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jako wrote:
This whole thing reminds me of this old Tom Green sketch.

Undercutters Pizza

I'm glad I read through the whole thread before posting that myself.

bop bop bop-bop-bop... Undercutters!

Posted on: 2014/10/12 11:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TwoBootsJC wrote:
Unfairness is unfairness and I'm sorry that some folks can't see that.

I'm going to sign off now because being a human pinata is starting to wear me down. I've got pizza to deliver.

Best to all.
Aaron

But is the ability to sell a mobile meal an unfair advantage, or just a competitive advantage? Is your ability to deliver pizza an unfair advantage over another pizzeria that can't afford a delivery vehicle? Or should all brick and mortar establishments be forced to only operate from within the boundaries of their brick and mortar? Is it an unfair advantage to the food trucks that you can deliver a pizza to an apartment that is right next where they are parked?

And how does Torico's manage to stay in business while ice cream trucks roam the streets without complaining to the local government?

Posted on: 2014/10/12 11:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This reminds me of how Shakespeare in the Park and other similar mobile "prepared-theatre" companies have completely destroyed any chance for Broadway and off-Broadway production to make a profit. And don't get me started on the "movies-projected-onto-a-sheet-once-a-week" juggernaut that has taken down the brick-and-mortar movie theater industry.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 10:58

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017