Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Adopt Love!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
If you meet a pair of cats at LHS that are already bonded (like siblings), then you may want to consider 2. But I agree that you may not want to get 2 at once who haven't bonded/been in the same cage or household as fosters pre-adoption as your first time with cats. LHS is pretty good at advising on this with the cats they have.

But 2 cats that get along well really do great usually, aren't hard to care for and really boost each other up. IMHO, bonded pairs should not be seperated.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kimmygo wrote:
If you can swing it, get two. Cat's like each other's company and the cost of having 2 versus 1 isn't that much different.

I am not sure this is good advice for a first time owner. I have had two cats, then one, and now two. The first time I had a couple, they were OK with each other, but kept their distance. My third cat, she was by herself always, then a new cat came into the picture. They do not interact AT ALL and, in fact, would rather the owner was not around, at all. The truth is that, with cats, you just never know. My cat, on her own, is SUPER sweet. But, with other cats, she gets a bit territorial, and (often) the same goes for other cats.

I may get flamed for saying this, but I think people often project their own desires or feelings onto situations, and I just don't think that there is a steadfast rule as to whether an animal would prefer the company of another. If you are thinking about getting a cat, do your homework, but keep your mind open. From what you have shared here on JCLIST, you have kids, so this is also a GREAT way to teach your kid(s) about responsibilities and such. They could be in charge of cleaning the litter box, or feeding them. They could also take turns brushing the cat (some cats LOVE being brushed) or bathing him (some cats are more averse to this than others.)

If you have any additional questions, PM me (don't want to take over the thread!) or look online. I grew up with dogs and never thought of having cats but, once I got my first one, I discovered what all cat owners come to learn over time: they are incredible pets. Now, I can't imagine not having a cat at home but, then again, I can't imagine not having my dog.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 21:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/25 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Do we have to go through an approval process to adopt a dog? How long does it take?

Posted on: 2015/2/13 19:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
We have 3 and they get along fine. If you choose to adopt 2 together, LHS will help you find a pair that compliment each other. One cat for each of your boys :)

Posted on: 2015/2/13 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks @bodhipooh for the detailed writeup. Very helpful, thanks!

@kimmygo - sadly, I already have two high energy boys at home, not sure if I swing 2 cats also. Interesting thought, though! My concern is wouldn't they fight all the time (like my boys!!!), as cats are territorial?

Posted on: 2015/2/13 18:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/29 15:26
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
This weekend sure would be a great chance to get a cat or two! Such a bargain!!

Posted on: 2015/2/13 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/13 14:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
If you can swing it, get two. Cat's like each other's company and the cost of having 2 versus 1 isn't that much different.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
We're seriously considering adopting a cat (perhaps not this weekend, but in the next 6 month). What would we need, besides the cat itself?

We're new at this, so want to make sure we get everything that's needed. I'm thinking:

- a cat bed
- cat litter, litter box
- cat food
- a scratch post???
- some cat toys???
- a collar? Do cats need collars?
- any other essentials?

TIA.

Quote:

mle267 wrote:
Shameless bump here-

Please consider adopting locally this weekend at Liberty Humane Society! All dog and cat adoptions are only $14!!!

I would say that the cat bed is completely useless, but that has been MY experience. Cats are interesting in that each one has its own personality, so it is hard to generalize. I have had two females cats and one male. None ever liked their intended beds. All three preferred lounging on sofas. One of the three LOVED boxes (this is quite common among cats, btw) but the others were indifferent to them. My current cat is downright boring, choosing to spend her days sleeping. My second cat was a wild one that never got tired of playing (he probably thought he was a bad ass hunter). My first one was an abused, neglected cat that I adopted from an animal hospital. She was sweet, but very scared of humans in general. My current cat (the lazy, sleepy one) is actually super cool about humans AND dogs. In fact, it is not at all uncommon to find her sleeping curled up against my gigantic dog (a Weimaraner) surely enjoying the warmth of his body during the cold Winter months.

My suggestion would be to get the basics (food and water bowls, kitty litter, litter box, high quality food, some basic toys, a blanket) and see how it all shakes out. You don't even need to buy a blanket, opting instead for an old towel, or blanket, already on hand. You may discover the cat enjoys boxes, or dripping water (also quite common with some cats) and so you can skip out on a bed, but may choose to buy a water fountain. It really is a see and do situation most of the time. Most cats enjoy laser pointers, so definitely get one of those, which will only set you back a few dollars.

My one big suggestions would be to get a GOOD QUALITY food. I use Orijen, which is rather pricey, but it is tops in the market. Overall, think of it this way: what you spend on food, you save on medical conditions and vet care. Skip Deli Cat, Purina Cat Chow, or any of those cheap brands. That's like feeding your kids McDonalds on a regular basis.

If you do end up adopting a cat, congratulations! You will likely come to love the critter, and it will soon be a part of your family in ways you never envisioned.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
We're seriously considering adopting a cat (perhaps not this weekend, but in the next 6 month). What would we need, besides the cat itself?

We're new at this, so want to make sure we get everything that's needed. I'm thinking:

- a cat bed
- cat litter, litter box
- cat food
- a scratch post???
- some cat toys???
- a collar? Do cats need collars?
- any other essentials?

TIA.

Quote:

mle267 wrote:
Shameless bump here-

Please consider adopting locally this weekend at Liberty Humane Society! All dog and cat adoptions are only $14!!!

Posted on: 2015/2/13 1:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
Shameless bump here-

Posted on: 2015/2/12 20:13

Adopt Love!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
This weekend at Liberty Humane Society...

ADOPT LOVE! Come adopt a dog or cat for only $14 to qualified adopters! The animals are spayed/neutered, micro-chipped and up to date on their shots. Sick of these snowy days? How about a new 4-legged friend to cuddle with on the couch?

Liberty Humane Society will be open on Friday from 2-7 and the Saturday and Sunday from 11-4. Please consider adopting a local pet who needs a home.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 14:37

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017