Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Science fun? Book at Liberty Science Center teaches kids how to make fake guns
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
getz011 wrote:
Quote:
borisp wrote:
So, are you telling me that the suspicious part is not an interest in the Constitution per se, but the fact that it is a [gasp!] recent interest? Does it mean getz011 and you feel safer when people who are ignorant about the Constitution stay ignorant?

I can only speak for myself, but actually Boris, yes: what you've just described is the Tea Party, and that's exactly who I'm referring to.

Ok, then. You'd rather people stay ignorant of the Constitution, and if they don't you fear and loath them. That's some powerful feeling for a document the only goal of which is to limit and restrict the government. I'm not sure what to make of your mention of Tea Party. Was it an attempt of name calling? That early in the dialogue and you are out of the arguments already?

Quote:
getz011 wrote:
Quote:
borisp wrote:
Again, how can you (and getz011) possibly prefer kids who live in a house with guns to stay ignorant about those guns is beyond me.

Daj bre nemoj da si dosadan.

Sorry, but what can I do? That's common sense for you. Boring as hell.

Quote:
getz011 wrote:
Quote:
borisp wrote:
My question would be, have you actually read one of them books that you fear so much? Or did you learn about them from a New York Times article....

I think you'd be surprised how much I read, across the ideological spectrum.

That means no?

Posted on: 2015/2/14 3:21

Re: Science fun? Book at Liberty Science Center teaches kids how to make fake guns
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:

So, are you telling me that the suspicious part is not an interest in the Constitution per se, but the fact that it is a [gasp!] recent interest? Does it mean getz011 and you feel safer when people who are ignorant about the Constitution stay ignorant?

I can only speak for myself, but actually Boris, yes: what you've just described is the Tea Party, and that's exactly who I'm referring to.

Quote:

Again, how can you (and getz011) possibly prefer kids who live in a house with guns to stay ignorant about those guns is beyond me.

Daj bre nemoj da si dosadan.

Quote:

My question would be, have you actually read one of them books that you fear so much? Or did you learn about them from a New York Times article....

I think you'd be surprised how much I read, across the ideological spectrum.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:

Or did you learn about them from a New York Times article written by someone who was told about those books in a college class "Verbotten Books 101"? I suspect those books are like a dog whistle for some people.

That was the only reason I read anything by her in grade school. The teachers would rip into her constantly (I think it was triggered because she was on some daytime talk shows at the time). Out of curiosity, I asked my mom to buy a copy of some of her works (Fountainhead and short stories) so I could figure what the fuss was all about.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Quote:
borisp wrote:
Quote:
getz011 wrote:
I'm much more worried about parents who take their kids to firing ranges, have taken a recent interest in the Constitution, and home school with Ayn Rand books. Let's maybe focus on that.

Oh, yeah, those dangerous people who take interest in the Constitution. I can only imagine what horrible thoughts you may be thinking about the ones who wrote it!

The quoted sentence contains qualifying conjunctions. They are important to the overall meaning of the statement. Ignoring them you remove the author's intent. Ultimately you are distorting their words for an absurdly stupid political argument.

As for the conjunctions, they are even worse. I believe that any responsible person who has a gun at home should teach their kids basic safety rules and operating procedures. Again, how can you (and getz011) possibly prefer kids who live in a house with guns to stay ignorant about those guns is beyond me.

Finally, I presume the phrase "homeschool with Ayn Rand books" means "people who give their kids Ayn Rand books", correct? My question would be, have you actually read one of them books that you fear so much? Or did you learn about them from a New York Times article written by someone who was told about those books in a college class "Verbotten Books 101"? I suspect those books are like a dog whistle for some people. You are not supposed to read them, they are only needed for when someone is out of demagogical ammo. This is where phrases like "you must like Ayn Rand, do you, you horrible person?" or "is this argument straight out of Ayn Rand?" may be handy.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Any chapters in that book cover spud guns?

http://youtu.be/PvqMWqxYuL8

Thank you for the laughs. I didn't realize that spud guns were such a thing...! Makes me feel like maybe I wasted a few years of my childhood!!

But, yeah, the idiot whining about the book on "guns" at the LSC gift shop is an idiot. Yet another soldier in the Pussification Army overtaking America.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Any chapters in that book cover spud guns?

http://youtu.be/PvqMWqxYuL8

Posted on: 2015/2/12 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:
getz011 wrote:

I'm much more worried about parents who take their kids to firing ranges, have taken a recent interest in the Constitution, and home school with Ayn Rand books. Let's maybe focus on that.

Oh, yeah, those dangerous people who take interest in the Constitution. I can only imagine what horrible thoughts you may be thinking about the ones who wrote it!

The quoted sentence contains qualifying conjunctions. They are important to the overall meaning of the statement. Ignoring them you remove the author's intent. Ultimately you are distorting their words for an absurdly stupid political argument.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 13:41
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I checked my give-a-shit-ometer and it registered only enough that I should look up the book. Once I saw the book itself, the reading went back down. Some kid should probably kick him in the shins for being a dick.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 13:37
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
This is seriously one of the biggest non-stories I've ever seen. Talk about a slow news day.

Look at who is complaining. A "Manhattan man." In other words, a nobody. There is nothing in the article to suggest this man is distinguished or has any special qualifications that would make his opinion newsworthy. He doesn't even live in Jersey City.

What if I know a Queens man who visited the museum and liked the book? Is that worthy of a story in the Jersey Journal?

Posted on: 2015/2/12 4:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
getz011 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/12 4:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

Yes, that's true, but I think there's a time and a place for certain things and the Liberty Science Center is not the place for a book like this.

In that case, the time to buy the book is "never," and the place is "not there."

Huck Finn had a slingshot and Cold War kids had cap guns and I played Asteroids. I've even read about kids destroying pinatas at birthday parties. Hardly the stuff of nightmares.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 3:38

Edited by getz011 on 2015/2/12 3:54:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
anti-gun idiots are out of fucking control with this nonsense.

"We shouldn't be teaching children that it's easy to make a realistic-looking Beretta out of things you can find around the house,"

did you look at the picture? maybe this guy is on LSD and should be on lock down for his own good

Posted on: 2015/2/12 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I took many education courses that stated children were a product of their environment. Using that theory, I gave my 3 year old son a soft boy doll, he ignored the doll and made a gun out of sticks in the backyard. Yes, young boys do have a fascination with guns. He probably shot the doll.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 21:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/5 12:37
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
ok for instance. when i was younger i went to the hall of science in queens ny and they taught us about cannons and rockets. then showed us how to build replicas or even buy replicas and working toys. so how is this any different? now if they were selling a book like the anarchist handbook or the internet guide to making explosives then i would worry.

part of me as a adult wish i had the resources kids have nowadays especially with internet, and modern technology then maybe i wouldn't have hurt myself and others as much from my experiments, all in the name of science of course.

now want to know what i would keep away from kids? those toy water rockets we used to play with as kids (plastic toy fill half way with water then use a pump to fill with air pop tab and pressure made it fly to some good heights. that was till we got bored and started aiming them at each other. those things were hard old school plastic, hurt so much getting hit with it. so between those and the toy gun that used to shoot those little discs where we swapped or lost the discs and would use dimes and pennies as ammunition.

then at 9 i figured out you can take a toy model rocket add fire works to the inside and using the same ignition system to light the fireworks. you would get pretty good at figuring distance out to the length of wick to use. all downhill from there.

Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Consumed wrote:

you can not prevent anything but learning by hiding things from children.

Yes, that's true, but I think there's a time and a place for certain things and the Liberty Science Center is not the place for a book like this. It's similar to how I believe in freedom of expression and everything, but there needs to be some restrictions on time and place, i.e. adult entertainment is fine, but clubs that feature nude dancing shouldn't be across the street from an elementary school.

Ah well, it's not like I have any intention of going there and spending money in their gift shop anyway.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Resized Image

HA! cute

Posted on: 2015/2/11 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/2/11 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Consumed wrote:

Yes, that's true, but I think there's a time and a place for certain things and the Liberty Science Center is not the place for a book like this. It's similar to how I believe in freedom of expression and everything, but there needs to be some restrictions on time and place, i.e. adult entertainment is fine, but clubs that feature nude dancing shouldn't be across the street from an elementary school.

Ah well, it's not like I have any intention of going there and spending money in their gift shop anyway.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 20:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
"said tragedy can ensue from teaching kids how to make toy guns"

Is this guy this dense? A paper toy gun can cause TRAGEDY?

Posted on: 2015/2/11 19:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/5 12:37
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
cmon. i had similar books when i was young. and if anything the guns looked drastically more real when i was growing up vs the orange and green toy guns they have out now. (not talking about airsoft which i believe to be too realistic and should be looked at)

we can not hide everything from our children. we need to educate them and teach them the difference between right and wrong.

this is similar to people who jumped down the throats of companies that made war based toys. you dont have to buy them if you dont want your children playing with toy guns etc etc. but to restrict the making of toys is ridiculous.

did anyone look at the guns? its cardboard and pens, they dont do anything other than look like some sort of bad replica of a toy gun.

now if you really want to talk about something that will eventually become an issue i think are 3D printers. these can really make a realistic looking replica and that is going to be a problem once the prices on the printers go down in the next year and they will be more widely purchased.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
LSC can sell whatever it wants in the gift shop, and no one is forced to buy this book, but I find it reprehensible that a book like this would be sold in a place oriented toward children and families.

LSC received zero-interest loans from Jersey City and the state, they're going to receive $12.5 million in free land from Jersey City, and now this (albeit a totally different issue). That place never stops disgusting me, it's like a thorn in my side every time I see it from the highway. Good job LSC, come up with new ways to piss people off.

I realize this is only my opinion, others may see it differently.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 17:32

Science fun? Book at Liberty Science Center teaches kids how to make fake guns
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- A Manhattan man is urging Liberty Science Center to remove from its gift shop a book that gives step-by-step instructions on how kids can build weapons modeled after real guns.

Michael C. Alcamo, who saw the book during a recent visit to the Jersey City science museum, said tragedy can ensue from teaching kids how to make toy guns, but the museum is refusing to take the book off its shelves, with officials there calling it a "quirky, hands-on" way for kids to learn more about science.

The 256-page book, Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction

More

Posted on: 2015/2/11 16:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017