Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Rethink the grand plan of Jersey City !
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The idea people should get rid of parking is discrimination against the handicapped, elderly, and young families with children.

Your argument always boils down to the absurd suburban notion that the limiting factor to a city's density should be its parking! Tell that to any of the great cities of the world, NY, Tokyo, Paris, London.

You just don't like cities. That's your right, but stop trying to make JC fit your ideas of low density. Your "golden years" in the past decades have probably been JC's lowest density in over century, and it's rising again. It's Jersey C-I-T-Y!

Posted on: 2015/2/12 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Not every handicapped or elderly person qualify for those medical devices because they do not have the coordination to operate them. People with Parkinson, MS and other disorders should not operate these vehicles. Neither does it address the families with children or the blind. Their families members drive them to doctors and other appointments. Also these vehicles should not be operated in poor weather. Access should be open to the public including parking in a free society. During this cold weather, there are people who cannot walk on the ice/snow and shop. Their lifeline is their car.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Great discussion so far - As for parking, cityhall planners should mandate before any permit approvals for new developments the condition for off-street parking that caters to all residents plus a % for visitors and a loading area bay (off street) for deliveries; (pizzaman or mail parcels or service contractors).

As for someone not seeing a doctor because of parking is ludacris - Alternatives can be public transport or better still a little sidewalk electric commuter vehicle!

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/2/12 1:39
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The idea people should get rid of parking is discrimination against the handicapped, elderly, and young families with children. For the same reason there are curbed sidewalks (something I supported as president of Van Vorst Park Association.) Not everyone has great health all the time. I remember when I was 19 and waiting in a doctor's office, reading an article on accidents, the article stated 80% of population will be handicapped sometime in their life. The article made me laugh because I was there due to a sprained after a fall on ice. I also have a friend who stopped visiting her doctor in JC due to the lack of parking, she brings her relative who is 90 with limited mobility and is legally blind.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 23:49

Edited by Yvonne on 2015/2/12 0:13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I agree that we should cap heights at 5 stories, but really, get rid of parking? Today, on the news, a man killed 3 people over parking. What makes a city attractive is its affordability. JC has a long way to go in that department.

One of the amazing advantages of a relatively drive-less urban lifestyle is safety. Not having to worry about being killed in a car crash. And based on your post, not being killed over a parking space (!) Have you ever heard of people getting killed for walking too slow on a sidewalk?

I don't know what it is about humans when they climb inside that metal box, aka car, but they get ANGRY. It's dehumanizing. People are absolutely nuts when they drive, it's really not healthy.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The Newport building are the ones that I mind the most, mainly because of their facades which do not engage the street level at all. Newport can be a case study on how NOT to develop a city. Sadly, the damage is done and will last well past our lifetimes.

I was thinking about your post today driving past the new buildings on 18th @ Jersey, and how they're repeating all the same mistakes. No street level retail, and it doesn't look like it can be converted easily in the future. Just like Newport 30 years ago, no one involved can picture a decade or 2 from now when that redevelopment zone is filled in and is a walkable neighborhood with nowhere to walk to.

So unbelievably tragic. It kills me to see it.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that we should cap heights at 5 stories, but really, get rid of parking? Today, on the news, a man killed 3 people over parking. What makes a city attractive is its affordability. JC has a long way to go in that department.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The Newport building are the ones that I mind the most, mainly because of their facades which do not engage the street level at all. Newport can be a case study on how NOT to develop a city. Sadly, the damage is done and will last well past our lifetimes.

I was thinking about your post today driving past the new buildings on 18th @ Jersey, and how they're repeating all the same mistakes. No street level retail, and it doesn't look like it can be converted easily in the future. Just like Newport 30 years ago, no one involved can picture a decade or 2 from now when that redevelopment zone is filled in and is a walkable neighborhood with nowhere to walk to.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
The no-tall-buildings rule seems to have been taken as gospel without any evidence by a certain school of urban planning. The article is mostly right, but they've imbued their thinking with the short-building mysticism that has no basis in reality.

I am not well versed on where this whole "only short buildings" philosophy comes from, but I would guess it is heavily influenced by those who look to past architecture as their guiding principle. I totally get that old European architecture can be beautiful (it is no coincidence that almost everyone that visits old European cities is always impressed by the architecture) but to limit ourselves to those types of buildings of that height seems impractical on the face of increasing density and practicality. Again, I definitely believe that a proliferation of buildings with 50+ stories would be impractical and undesirable, but I think 10-20 story buildings are fine and manageable.

I do think that old, beautiful buildings are a great addition, and they are often short.

The problem is really that tall buildings were almost uniformly built in an anti-urban style from the 1950s through the 1990s, and that's harmed the reputation of all tall buildings. No one would claim that pre-war skyscrapers, even enormous ones like the Empire State Building, are bad for their surroundings. They interface with the street level very effectively, such that height is essentially irrelevant. The problem isn't tall buildings at all; it's the anti-urban design philosophies of the mid-late 20th century.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
(Which is why it is completely and absolutely downright mind boggling that anybody at all has a problem with the permanent pedestrianization of that stretch of Newark Avenue).

Think about this: I prefer that my neighborhood remain just a neighborhood, and not a destination. I prefer not to have people driving thru with radios blasting or walking thru talking loudly late at night. Just one man's opinion..

Your comment seems contradictory - are you saying you're for or against the pedestrian plaza on Newark Ave?

Posted on: 2015/2/11 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
(Which is why it is completely and absolutely downright mind boggling that anybody at all has a problem with the permanent pedestrianization of that stretch of Newark Avenue).

Think about this: I prefer that my neighborhood remain just a neighborhood, and not a destination. I prefer not to have people driving thru with radios blasting or walking thru talking loudly late at night. Just one man's opinion..

Posted on: 2015/2/11 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

However to be fair, I think some respect must be given to Newport (the neighborhood) and the LeFraks for the pioneering aspect of rebuilding a complete wasteland. And the 80s were a different time; people weren't interested in car-free lifestyles, the suburbs were still king, and Newport was really developed with the direct intention of bringing those creature comforts of suburban life to those who wanted a 10 minute commute instead of 60.

The key to an "attractive" city, one in which a visitor or resident enjoys walking around in, is scale and walkability. Narrower streets and wider sidewalks. Facades that are architecturally interesting and open up to the sidewalk. Lack of surface parking. Lack of emphasis on the automobile. Public spaces.

In almost all new construction/redevelopment areas, Jersey City fails to deliver the characteristics I've listed, and the Guardian piece lists. The good news is that the historic districts, which make up much of Downtown JC, excel in these aspects. Thank goodness they were salvaged.

The bad news is that developers in Jersey City largely still don't get it. Because Jersey City is being lumped into NJ and not NYC, financiers to these developers want to see loads of parking included in developments. Completely backwards. I THINK there might be a slight changing of the tide, in that SOME of the newer developments are starting to get it. We are just about 10 years behind the curve, and already have about 25 years of development that didn't "get it" that we are stuck with.

My hope is that at some point down the road when density in the waterfront areas is truly maxed out, that some changes can be made to open up the street level to retail, etc. I don't know if that's architecturally feasible, but it's comforting to think that it might be.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
historic dtjc use to be pretty historic looking and very handsome, tall buildings just take away from that.

I disagree. I think some of those taller buildings enhance the pleasantness of the historic brownstones that run down many streets. There are certainly tacky ways of going about the construction of taller buildings but I don't think it's flat assessment that all tall buildings take away from the smaller ones.

I prefer buildings on a smaller scale, I think the tall buildings look horrible. The ones at Newport and the water front I don't mind so much because nothing was there to begin with. This is just my opinion, I am sure the newbies who don't know the old dtjc like my partner who feels dtjc tall buildings look great.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
historic dtjc use to be pretty historic looking and very handsome, tall buildings just take away from that.

I disagree. I think some of those taller buildings enhance the pleasantness of the historic brownstones that run down many streets. There are certainly tacky ways of going about the construction of taller buildings but I don't think it's flat assessment that all tall buildings take away from the smaller ones.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 17:06
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/11 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
The no-tall-buildings rule seems to have been taken as gospel without any evidence by a certain school of urban planning. The article is mostly right, but they've imbued their thinking with the short-building mysticism that has no basis in reality.

I am not well versed on where this whole "only short buildings" philosophy comes from, but I would guess it is heavily influenced by those who look to past architecture as their guiding principle. I totally get that old European architecture can be beautiful (it is no coincidence that almost everyone that visits old European cities is always impressed by the architecture) but to limit ourselves to those types of buildings of that height seems impractical on the face of increasing density and practicality. Again, I definitely believe that a proliferation of buildings with 50+ stories would be impractical and undesirable, but I think 10-20 story buildings are fine and manageable.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/11 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I believe Candice posted on FB that the March 3 hearing will be focused on feedback from business owners, with subsequent hearings for feedback from the community.

The third WHEREAS clause assumed a benefit to local business.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

I hope the Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza comes back and becomes a permanent feature. Maybe it becomes a magnet for visitors and locals to congregate, gather and share in life.

They are having a public hearing on Mrch 3rd about closing it off again.

Link to PDF

I hope enough people show up to support the pedestrian plaza idea because we all KNOW that the opposition forces are very vocal (I am looking at you, Yvonne) and will likely try to drown out support for this idea.

Thanks for the heads up, moobycow.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I hope the Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza comes back and becomes a permanent feature. Maybe it becomes a magnet for visitors and locals to congregate, gather and share in life.

They are having a public hearing on Mrch 3rd about closing it off again.

Link to PDF

Posted on: 2015/2/11 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
From one of the comments: Where you get rid of cars people gather. So true! Look to our neighbor to the East. As those pedestrian plazas were implemented all over midtown, lots of people cried foul, some even predicted doom and gloom for businesses and traffic. What do you know? Drivers adjusted and adapted, as evidenced by the fact that traffic continues to flow, businesses are reaping the benefits of increased foot traffic in those areas, and as people congregate in the pedestrian plazas, a certain vibrancy shines through. I hope the Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza comes back and becomes a permanent feature. Maybe it becomes a magnet for visitors and locals to congregate, gather and share in life.

FACT!

The way to have a connection to the community is to connect a community. Being able to congregate with neighbors and other members of the city makes one a part of it.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 14:39
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
What makes a city attractive?

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/201 ... hat-makes-city-attractive

Maybe our city planners, private developers and Mayor can review where JC is headed and rethink their vision !

Definitely some good ideas there, but I don't share one of their ideas: capping buildings at 5 stories. For starters, it is not wholly practical in some cities with very high density to limit residential buildings to such a short height. I would think that building height should be a flexible concept, but I do understand the desire to limit height. I don't think we need 70 or 100 stories behemoths, but we could encourage development around 10 to 20 stories. If done right, you could have a fairly good collection of buildings that complement each other without becoming a boring collection of sameness.

From one of the comments: Where you get rid of cars people gather. So true! Look to our neighbor to the East. As those pedestrian plazas were implemented all over midtown, lots of people cried foul, some even predicted doom and gloom for businesses and traffic. What do you know? Drivers adjusted and adapted, as evidenced by the fact that traffic continues to flow, businesses are reaping the benefits of increased foot traffic in those areas, and as people congregate in the pedestrian plazas, a certain vibrancy shines through. I hope the Newark Avenue pedestrian plaza comes back and becomes a permanent feature. Maybe it becomes a magnet for visitors and locals to congregate, gather and share in life.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 14:26

Rethink the grand plan of Jersey City !
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What makes a city attractive?

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/201 ... hat-makes-city-attractive

Maybe our city planners, private developers and Mayor can review where JC is headed and rethink their vision !

Posted on: 2015/2/11 10:33
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017