Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
77 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 4 out of 10 Jersey City schools still don't make the grade, superintendent tells state
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

They don't marry for the reason I stated before.

Correct. It makes almost no finance sense for a couple with one low-income earner to marry. And it's not just housing.

I think the conservative right would like to shift welfare back to private charities and churches - but to me that's simply dialing the clock back to bad old Victorian times of soup kitchens and poorhouses - conditions that led to the rise of communism.

If we value a strong family as a condition for a kids success, then we need to structure welfare to support that.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 21:52

Re: 4 out of 10 Jersey City schools still don't make the grade, superintendent tells state
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
That's not why teens are having babies with other teens.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The government does contribute to one family households. My friend became a widow a while back and moved into subsidized housing on 4th St. She was paying very little in rent. When she remarried her rent rose to $1,800 a month so she left. People in affordable housing are not stupid, showing only one income means you pay less rent. That mentality encourages single family households.

Teen mothers grow up and form new relationships as adults. Those adult relationships bring in more children with absent fathers. The don't marry for the reason I stated before.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
That's not why teens are having babies with other teens.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The government does contribute to one family households. My friend became a widow a while back and moved into subsidized housing on 4th St. She was paying very little in rent. When she remarried her rent rose to $1,800 a month so she left. People in affordable housing are not stupid, showing only one income means you pay less rent. That mentality encourages single family households.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/8 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Really? Christie said that?

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Want kids? Get married and parent.

Nice soundbite. Truth is - the gov is saying have kids, but don't marry - to low-to-no income families.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Nice soundbite. Truth is - the gov is saying have kids, but don't marry - to low-to-no income families.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
No one is 'forced' into living anywhere. People aren't forced into having kids they can't afford or neglect to parent either. The problem with poor performing schools (like JC) is poor parenting, not stupid kids or bad teachers.

That's a bit harsh on parents. Wanting kids, and hoping they'll have a better life than you - is central to human nature.

If you're living paycheck-to-paycheck - other priorities can simply get in the way of what you or I might call "good parenting".

This link expresses the psychology well:
Quote:

http://www.edpsycinteractive.org/topics/conation/maslow.html

For example, individuals at the lowest level [of Maslov's hierarchy] seek coping information in order to meet their basic needs. Information that is not directly connected to helping a person meet his or her needs in a very short time span is simply left unattended.

Also, given that the only 2 big public welfare programs in the US are schools and jails, you think it's a surprise low-income families have kids?

Posted on: 2015/2/8 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
No one is 'forced' into living anywhere. People aren't forced into having kids they can't afford or neglect to parent either. The problem with poor performing schools (like JC) is poor parenting, not stupid kids or bad teachers.

That's a bit harsh on parents. Wanting kids, and hoping they'll have a better life than you - is central to human nature.

If you're living paycheck-to-paycheck - other priorities can simply get in the way of what you or I might call "good parenting".

This link expresses the psychology well:
Quote:

http://www.edpsycinteractive.org/topics/conation/maslow.html

For example, individuals at the lowest level [of Maslov's hierarchy] seek coping information in order to meet their basic needs. Information that is not directly connected to helping a person meet his or her needs in a very short time span is simply left unattended.

Also, given that the only 2 big public welfare programs in the US are schools and jails, you think it's a surprise low-income families have kids?

Posted on: 2015/2/8 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
However, the funding which was stable for at $72 million since 1990, (McCann wanted to cut the local school funding and the state froze our contribution that year) begin to rise in 2005. Other communities do not hand out tax abatements like candy, if we become equal to other communities the burden on schools will become unequal on homeowners. JC have over 100 tax abated buildings filled in children, especially affordable housing. I am really annoyed that this administration gave Salem Layfayette another 30 years bringing their abatement to 66 years. When the abatement expires the tenants do not pay more in rent so it was not necessary, they just pay 1/3 of their income. We are just protecting the developer.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:

I see very many parents in the downtown sending their kids to very many private schools. A friend of mine once told me - and I think that the idea has a lot of sense, - if all those parents sent their kids to the local public schools (the ones that they paid for already with their tax money), those schools would've improved.

True, though I think there has been some improvement.

Although I don't have the numbers, I think they would show that there has been an increase in downtown parents willing to send their kids to the public schools. Enrollment in the system is, overall, up. And there is the well publicized shortage of pre-K spots in Jersey City, which largely comes from demand downtown.

Still, there are large numbers of parents which don't send their kids to the public schools. The fact that so many parents feel compelled to spend $15-$20,000 per year on the I Can't Believe It's Not Montessori! schools shows that there is, at the very least, a perception problem.

Of course, the involvement of downtown parents in the public school system causes its own issues. The rancor behind the last school board election was in part based on belief (accurate or not) that groups like "Parents for Progress" were concerned only with supporting programs for themselves rather than addressing the needs of other communities outside of downtown.

10 years ago, you used to hear politicians and other pundits say that downtown, the choice was "LCCS, private, or move to the suburbs." I never actually heard a family say that, but so called thought leaders liked to discuss it in such terms. You don't really hear that too much anymore.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
76% of JC school funding comes from people in other cities who have to pay more in their local real estate taxes to offset the state funding that goes to cities like JC. So JC taxpayers are getting a gift. And last I looked, the JC school system is ranked 215th in the state.

For decades, low income families have been, and continue to be forced into living in inner-city ghettos.

http://www.njfuture.org/wp-content/up ... ousing-and-Jobs-07-03.pdf

http://scholarship.sha.cornell.edu/cg ... article=1019&context=crer

So I don't think it's unfair that other parts of NJ share the cost of that social burden. I have more of an issue with how the money appears to be wasted. 40% is a big number.

Good point dtjcview. People who make this argument about school funding either have no clue about how the funding formula in NJ works or are being disingenuous. If they really have a problem with money from the suburbs going to support "inner-city" schools there is a simple solution: spread the socio-economic diversity of residents more evenly throughout NJ. This will never happen because NJ's over abundance of municipalities helps to support the segregation of people (adults and children?schools) by socio-economic status and too many still think that living in a community with almost zero diversity is a part of the american dream.

Considering the per pupil amount JCPS spends, it could and should be doing much better. Each public school in this city should be providing a quality education.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
76% of JC school funding comes from people in other cities who have to pay more in their local real estate taxes to offset the state funding that goes to cities like JC. So JC taxpayers are getting a gift. And last I looked, the JC school system is ranked 215th in the state.

For decades, low income families have been, and continue to be forced into living in inner-city ghettos.

So I don't think it's unfair that other parts of NJ share the cost of that social burden. I have more of an issue with how the money appears to be wasted. 40% is a big number.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/8 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
No, JC taxpayers pay only 16% of the cost of the schools.

That 16% is $110 million, it was $72 million until 2005. It is still real money that cost homeowners $2,000 to $3,000 each year.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

That 16% is $110 million, it was $72 million until 2005. It is still real money that cost homeowners $2,000 to $3,000 each year.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/8 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I would be curious as to whether anyone has researched various urban school districts, and what they are doing to address these problems (which seem to be pretty consistent in all poor, urban schools), and reported on what solutions seem to be working?

That wasn't always the case, I remember the Hudson Dispatch, which no longer exists, printed articles in the 1960s about Hoboken High School and other urban schools performing at the top. Newark public schools produced doctors and lawyers. Life has changed because the family has changed. We hold everyone accountable except the family and student. However, it is also wrong for our school system to withhold books and other supplies. I have personally heard teachers complained on this matter in some of the poor schools.

I see very many parents in the downtown sending their kids to very many private schools. A friend of mine once told me - and I think that the idea has a lot of sense, - if all those parents sent their kids to the local public schools (the ones that they paid for already with their tax money), those schools would've improved.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
I would be curious as to whether anyone has researched various urban school districts, and what they are doing to address these problems (which seem to be pretty consistent in all poor, urban schools), and reported on what solutions seem to be working?

That wasn't always the case, I remember the Hudson Dispatch, which no longer exists, printed articles in the 1960s about Hoboken High School and other urban schools performing at the top. Newark public schools produced doctors and lawyers. Life has changed because the family has changed. We hold everyone accountable except the family and student. However, it is also wrong for our school system to withhold books and other supplies. I have personally heard teachers complained on this matter in some of the poor schools.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/6 19:02

4 out of 10 Jersey City schools still don't make the grade, superintendent tells state
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

4 out of 10 Jersey City schools still don't make the grade, superintendent tells state

By Laura Herzog | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com The Jersey Journal
February 04, 2015 at  1:43 PM

TRENTON -- In a city where 40 percent of schools fail to meet state standards, Jersey City Superintendent Marcia Lyles says the primary focus has to be on college and career prep.
"That is our power goal, our uber goal. That's the one that drives all the work," Lyles told the New Jersey State Board of Education during the annual state of the district evaluation in Trenton Wednesday morning. "It particularly frustrates me that prisons are being projected from third grade scores. I would like [college] dormitory rooms to be projected based on third grade scores."

Jersey City, with about 28,000 students, faces issues that encompass poverty, chronic absenteeism, low test scores, and above-average dropout rates at the high school level. 

Of its 40 schools, 16 are classified by the state as "low-performing."

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sey_city_schools_are.html

Posted on: 2015/2/4 20:24

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017