Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: daycare feedback & recommendations
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jcn00bmom wrote: Quote:
As a general trend, I find the idea of 20K a year to be troubling and not great for the prospects of attracting and keeping young families in the area.
this is so, so true. we definitely cannot afford to continue living like this and will probably wind up moving to a more affordable 'burb in the near future, to be honest. i can't even imagine trying to have more than one kid!
Yup Jersey City daycare is nuts compared to other parts of NJ. My sister in law pays <1k in Bergen County. My buddy pays 1200 in Monmouth County.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 15:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 22:27
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

As a general trend, I find the idea of 20K a year to be troubling and not great for the prospects of attracting and keeping young families in the area.

this is so, so true. we definitely cannot afford to continue living like this and will probably wind up moving to a more affordable 'burb in the near future, to be honest. i can't even imagine trying to have more than one kid!

Posted on: 2015/2/9 21:50

Edited by jcn00bmom on 2015/2/9 22:16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcn00bmom wrote:
it is an incredible expense! it's more than half my net take-home pay. we currently attend an absolutely fantastic daycare for $410/week in Brooklyn. that was the least expensive option we found in our neighborhood. every other daycare was $500/week or more.

that being said... if you think of it in terms of hours- $410 a week for 9 hours per day, it's only about $9/hr which is a lot more affordable than a nanny which usually starts around $15/hr.

yes, having to drive is a deal breaker for us unfortunately, as I work in Manhattan and I need to be able to get to the daycare by 5:30pm via PATH.

something i am noticing as I search is that in JC there seem to be a lot more "preschools" as a opposed to daycares. the difference being that they are on a school schedule and are closed for 3 weeks of vacation per year, and have summer camps instead of year round care.

I hear you, and I do not envy your situation. Nor would I claim to be able to fully empathize, as I no longer have young kids of my own. When I did, I lived elsewhere and, while comparatively expensive for the area where I lived, I did what I had to do to afford my daughter's schooling, which was MUCH LOWER. As a general trend, I find the idea of 20K a year to be troubling and not great for the prospects of attracting and keeping young families in the area. I am no bleeding heart liberal, but I do think it is cause for concern when your city/area becomes so gentrified and affluent as to prevent young families from being a part of the social fabric.

As an aside, I would add that some employers do provide on site daycare services, and/or sometimes subsidize an employee's daycare costs. I don't know of any in the immediate area, but I do have two clients with that type of setup (one in NJ, another in CT) and I think it is a great perk that benefits the employee and the employer. I wonder how many people have considered switching jobs to an employer that provides those types of benefits, especially given the ever increasing cost it represents.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kimmygo wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

dcj wrote:
can't speak to care for very young but our kids went to garden cooperative preschool, which has kids between 2 years, 9 months and 5 years old. it's a cooperative, so there's more parental involvement but it's a great place for little ones.
Something to keep in mind for next year...

This sounds like a GREAT idea. I am surprised that there aren't many more options like this one. I think that requiring parents to be involved in their kids schooling is a good way to establish and foster the healthy habit of parental involvement in kids' learning and development.

I'm sure there aren't more programs like this, because most parents put their kids in daycare because they have to work. The lack of ability to commit to a coop doesn't mean you aren't involved in your kid's learning and development...

First of all, I never said that lack of ability to commit to a coop daycare means that a parent is not involved in their child's learning and development. What I did say is that being involved in a coop system will help in establishing and fostering a parent's involvement. In other words, I did NOT say that it is the ONLY way to do so. Nor did I say that not being in such a system means not being involved. Go work out your guilt feelings elsewhere.

But, since you "went there", I will follow you: in a typical school year, you are talking about 10 months of schooling, more or less. If you are fortunate to have kids with a spouse or committed partner, that means that the responsibility of carrying out the POD duty coop requirement could be split between the two of you. Therefore, you would each need to put in 5 days per year. That's a week's worth of vacation or PTO. That doesn't strike me like that much of a hardship for a parent that is gainfully employed and is able to afford daycare, etc. If I had to guess, I would say that the real reason that there aren't more coop daycare / preschools in the area is because they DO require commitment, effort and dedication, and finding enough people to go along with that is probably hard.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 18:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

dcj wrote:
can't speak to care for very young but our kids went to garden cooperative preschool, which has kids between 2 years, 9 months and 5 years old. it's a cooperative, so there's more parental involvement but it's a great place for little ones.

This sounds like a GREAT idea. I am surprised that there aren't many more options like this one. I think that requiring parents to be involved in their kids schooling is a good way to establish and foster the healthy habit of parental involvement in kids' learning and development.

I'm sure there aren't more programs like this, because most parents put their kids in daycare because they have to work. The lack of ability to commit to a coop doesn't mean you aren't involved in your kid's learning and development...

Posted on: 2015/2/9 18:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
it is an incredible expense! it's more than half my net take-home pay. we currently attend an absolutely fantastic daycare for $410/week in Brooklyn. that was the least expensive option we found in our neighborhood. every other daycare was $500/week or more.

that being said... if you think of it in terms of hours- $410 a week for 9 hours per day, it's only about $9/hr which is a lot more affordable than a nanny which usually starts around $15/hr.

yes, having to drive is a deal breaker for us unfortunately, as I work in Manhattan and I need to be able to get to the daycare by 5:30pm via PATH.

something i am noticing as I search is that in JC there seem to be a lot more "preschools" as a opposed to daycares. the difference being that they are on a school schedule and are closed for 3 weeks of vacation per year, and have summer camps instead of year round care.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

kimmygo wrote:
My son has been in Growing Tree since he was 8 weeks old. We're very happy with the program and his teachers are great. However, they only go up to 4 years old, so I'm not sure I would start at a program knowing I'd have to find another one in 2 years.

There is also smart success academy that's opening on Newark and the Brunswick school that's opening.

No little kids here (my daughter is already a teen) but I am super surprised (scared, really!) to see the prevailing rates around town. From what I see in terms of tuition rates, any person looking to daycare/preschool options (at least in DTJC) is staring at a potential 20K cost per year. I have friends in Manhattan paying less money in what are considered nice/expensive areas. What gives? Is it that we have a dearth of options here allowing the few ones to charge premium rates? I mean, 20K/year is much more than tuition at some colleges!!
Every thing DTJC is like being in the airport, I was always too lazy or too scared or for what ever reason to investigate other options outside of the area so you you pay airport balloon prices. Daycare else where can range from 7k to 30k, my neighbors use one in the area and they are not paying 20k.

I am sure you are right, and that's why I qualified my statements as applicable to DTJC. But, the fact remains that, for young parents in DTJC, the options seem to be slim, and expensive. And, if you are using daycare it is likely because you are a working parent, so proximity and ease of reach are important considerations. I would think that if a parent has to drive out to a daycare location, that could be a deal breaker in terms of time and ability to get there.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

kimmygo wrote:
My son has been in Growing Tree since he was 8 weeks old. We're very happy with the program and his teachers are great. However, they only go up to 4 years old, so I'm not sure I would start at a program knowing I'd have to find another one in 2 years.

There is also smart success academy that's opening on Newark and the Brunswick school that's opening.

No little kids here (my daughter is already a teen) but I am super surprised (scared, really!) to see the prevailing rates around town. From what I see in terms of tuition rates, any person looking to daycare/preschool options (at least in DTJC) is staring at a potential 20K cost per year. I have friends in Manhattan paying less money in what are considered nice/expensive areas. What gives? Is it that we have a dearth of options here allowing the few ones to charge premium rates? I mean, 20K/year is much more than tuition at some colleges!!
Every thing DTJC is like being in the airport, I was always too lazy or too scared or for what ever reason to investigate other options outside of the area so you you pay airport balloon prices. Daycare else where can range from 7k to 30k, my neighbors use one in the area and they are not paying 20k.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kimmygo wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/9 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dcj wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/9 14:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/8 21:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/9 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks N00b

Posted on: 2015/2/8 14:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
scrappe7 - tuition for River School at Exchange Place for full-time care is:

0 ? 18 mos. $1955/month
19 mos. ? 3yr 6 mos. $1770/month
3 yrs 7 mos. ? 6 yrs. $1595/month

Newport location is higher.

Posted on: 2015/2/7 23:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/9 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know tuition cost for the River School? Do any of these daycare options have a sick room or some kind of backup for sick kids?

Posted on: 2015/2/7 14:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
thanks- I sent an email to Early Learning!

Posted on: 2015/2/7 11:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Hi there,

Check your inbox, I sent you a pm.
Good luck!

Posted on: 2015/2/6 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
No idea on pricing, but Early Learning Academy next to the Marin Blvd HBLR stop is quite popular.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 18:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for your responses so far.

River School is a bit out of our price range.

Garden Preschool looks nice- I will keep it in mind for the future!

Keep em coming, please!

Posted on: 2015/2/6 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
You should consider signing up for the JC Moms Meetup board:

http://www.meetup.com/jerseycitymoms/

It's 25 bucks but the organization schedules a bunch of events throughout the year - something going on every day - and it's a good way to meet other parents.

The message board has been really valuable for topics like school/daycare.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
You should consider signing up for the JC Moms Meetup board:

http://www.meetup.com/jerseycitymoms/

It's 25 bucks but the organization schedules a bunch of events throughout the year - something going on every day - and it's a good way to meet other parents.

The message board has been really valuable for topics like school/daycare.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 18:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/10 19:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/6 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
There is also the River School. Unfortunately, I have no experience with it.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 18:15

daycare feedback & recommendations

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

We are planning to move to JC April 1st with our 18 month old. I am in the process of touring daycares and I would love to get some feedback, or recommendations on any place I should check out. We are looking for full time care, M-F 9-5:30 or 6 pm. Budget is about $400/week.

I have been to the following:

Growing Trees II
Viaquenti
Learning Ladders

Is there a wonderful place that I haven't found yet? Would you mind sharing your experiences?

Thank you!

Posted on: 2015/2/6 17:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017