Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: New Marriott coming to JC
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I work in hotel development and something does not add with the deal.

Unlike the Hyatt House development near exchange place, which is being done by an established hotel development company (concord - http://www.concordhotels.com/), both Tramz and SLHN seem to be a one-man shop with zero track record or hotel construction experience. The only employee of Tramz appears to be Tarranumn Murad (https://www.linkedin.com/pub/tarrunumn-murad/a/407/745).

There is very little information out there on Tarranumn Murad considering they are developing a major hotel project. All I can find is an article about a small hotel they defaulted on: http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2013/ ... l-is-set-to-be-auctioned/ It would appear that they owned / operated a few other, small hotels in tertiary markets over, the years, but that is a far cry from building a full service Marriott.

Believe me, successfully overseeing the construction of a large hotel such as this is very difficult and requires a strong team and sufficient experience.

Unless I am missing something (which is possible given the very limited amount of information out there on Tramz), I don't see this ending well.

Posted on: 2015/2/4 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Huge fan of restoring the grid. But if Warren and Provost were to join, wouldn't they have to split up again into "Mall Drive West" and "Mall Drive East" (<--Ugh) from Thomas Gangemi Dr/6th Street northward? My hope is that all Marin-facing facades of this development will include retail/restaurants, which will establish Marin as more of a main corridor, and I think it will make the Marin-facing side of Newport Mall more glaring so that they will hopefully transition the mall parking garage to include some sidewalk-facing mall retail.

Posted on: 2015/2/4 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Sure.

They restore the grid (but Provost and Wrren would merge into one street after crossing 4th), it's a bit strange as it leave 8 parcels. Central block is a park.

They are adding bike lanes to the streets with a protected bike lane, ground floor retail (with a spot for ShopRite if they want it).

I think it is 15 buildings all together and the plan would likely take about a decade to complete with phase 1 being a high rise by PepBoys.

They don't have rights to the bit of land that the bank is on.

My bit of feedback for them (which I don't know if they incorporated) was to make pedestrian cross from there to the mall much easier than it currently is. They seemed receptive.

I didn't see any renderings for the buildings just the grid layout with the spots for parks and bike lanes.

Posted on: 2015/2/4 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Were the renderings the same as the ones NewYorkYIMBY posted a while back? Can you at least describe what you saw Mooby?

Posted on: 2015/2/4 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:
That is a cool map. What are the plans for Metro Plaza?

And what's going on near the Powerhouse? I know there is a plan to revitalize it into more of an entertainment/artsy neighborhood, but I'm sure converting the old building will take some time. Yet there is still a lot of construction going on around those warehouses... anybody know?

There are no real "plans" for Metro Plaza, just some future thoughts about tearing out the ShopRite complex and building something less suburban there. It's smart, but it won't happen until most of the random parking lots left around downtown are filled in (i.e., not starting for ~5-8 years at least). I don't think the people who proposed the plan own the site right now.

On a side note, I didn't know 1 Exchange Place was being turned into a hotel. Anyone know anything about that project? The building has been empty for ages since the floor collapse.

They had a site plan meeting at City Hall last to discuss Metro Plaza night and they plan on starting relatively soon (probably 2015) starting with the Pep Boys spot.

I was shown a plan for the spot when speaking with the developer. I have it, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share.

Posted on: 2015/2/4 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
They have moved pile drivers to the site for the Marriott hotel near Liberty Harbor Marina. Does anybody have any other renderings for this building, other than the one here: http://www.njbiz.com/article/20140127 ... inging-150-permanent-jobs

Ridiculous that Tramz Hotels doesn't have a website!

Posted on: 2015/2/4 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone else read the development map to show a new street connecting DTJC and LSP? Otherwise that new development will have no road access.

Posted on: 2014/2/7 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Good for Cory Booker! Too bad our mayor couldn't persuade Whole Foods to come to JC. I won't be jackarsing to Newark. JC won't EVER get a decent food store.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
On a side note, I didn't know 1 Exchange Place was being turned into a hotel. Anyone know anything about that project? The building has been empty for ages since the floor collapse.

I remember there being a thread on jclist about the hotel. In the meantime, here is link with renderings.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... for_proposed_hotel_o.html

Posted on: 2014/2/2 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sp2xs wrote:

And what's going on near the Powerhouse? I know there is a plan to revitalize it into more of an entertainment/artsy neighborhood, but I'm sure converting the old building will take some time. Yet there is still a lot of construction going on around those warehouses... anybody know?

There are no real "plans" for Metro Plaza, just some future thoughts about tearing out the ShopRite complex and building something less suburban there. It's smart, but it won't happen until most of the random parking lots left around downtown are filled in (i.e., not starting for ~5-8 years at least). I don't think the people who proposed the plan own the site right now.

Quote:

mRanger48 wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

malcontent wrote:
I really hope it will not be a super generic building like the Marriott Courtyard in Newport.

You probably won't see much of the hotel. On that site, there will also be two 40-story residential buildings (by Fisher - the developer of Crystal Point.) In fact, construction of those towers will likely begin in the spring, well before the hotel gets started.

do you have any other info/renderings of those 2 buildings?

Would also appreciate this information. Is that on the same site (107 on the map) or on the sites to the south closer to the water?

Posted on: 2014/2/2 0:52

Edited by Conformist on 2014/2/2 1:11:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/4 22:33
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

malcontent wrote:
I really hope it will not be a super generic building like the Marriott Courtyard in Newport.

You probably won't see much of the hotel. On that site, there will also be two 40-story residential buildings (by Fisher - the developer of Crystal Point.) In fact, construction of those towers will likely begin in the spring, well before the hotel gets started.

do you have any other info/renderings of those 2 buildings?

Posted on: 2014/2/1 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Steve Fulop's email newsletter just said that the new Tramz/Marriott hotel will be "in the Liberty Harbor North redevelopment area, near Liberty State Park", and that it further demonstrates the administration's commitment to bringing development away from the downtown waterfront and into other areas of the city.

Huh? Isn't the assumed location (Marin Blvd) both downtown and on the waterfront?

Are we certain the Marin Blvd location is where this will be?

Positive. It's the spot two lots south of the Light Rail on Marin. Agreed - it's definitely downtown and only twenty feet from the water, albeit not directly on the river.

This site was always approved for mixed residential/hotel. The residential component was hived off from Tramz about a year and a half ago. Fisher swooped in and bought that part and a week later the site approval was upsized to roughly double the number of previously approved units.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 2:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/31 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sussexst wrote:
This is the development map posted in May 2013.

Downtown Development Map

#107 is on Marin Blvd. two lots south of Gulls Cove. It is described as Tramz: Mixed use bldg with hotel. Tramz is the company doing the Marriott project.

Nice map. Don't show the anti-developement folks, it could cause them heart attacks.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 21:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/6 17:42
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
This is the development map posted in May 2013.

Downtown Development Map

#107 is on Marin Blvd. two lots south of Gulls Cove. It is described as Tramz: Mixed use bldg with hotel. Tramz is the company doing the Marriott project.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I thought this was the project slated for the dead end of Jersey Ave behind the medical center.

Edit: Corner of Phillip st and Johnston ave at the entrance to Liberty St Park. That's not confirmed, just my best guess.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Glad I'm not the only one thinking "not downtown waterfront"? It's downtown and on New York harbor (yards from the Liberty Harbor marinas) ...so what am I missing? Does waterfront apply only the Hudson?

Posted on: 2014/1/31 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

malcontent wrote:

This sounds awful. Lemme guess...more "luxury" rentals, right?? We need that like a hole in the head.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
someone please call the mayor's office or redevelopment office.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Steve Fulop's email newsletter just said that the new Tramz/Marriott hotel will be "in the Liberty Harbor North redevelopment area, near Liberty State Park", and that it further demonstrates the administration's commitment to bringing development away from the downtown waterfront and into other areas of the city.

Huh? Isn't the assumed location (Marin Blvd) both downtown and on the waterfront?

I just reread it and it does not say anything about Marin blvd..

It reads..

Construction on the project, announced Monday by city officials, will begin in the fourth quarter of this year and will be located in the Liberty North Harbor Redevelopment Area, near Liberty State Park and the Liberty Science Center. The 16-story, full-service hotel will operate under the flagship Marriott Hotels brand and is expected to be similar to the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.

Which was posted earlier.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The entirety of Marin is downtown, with the exception of a few feet in Hoboken before the intersection at Observer Highway. So it's definitely downtown. Marin isn't the waterfront, but it's the first block away from Washington, which definitely is the waterfront.

Let's be honest, no major hotel developer is going to set up shop away from downtown except maybe right by LSP, and even then, what are they selling besides the park and golf course, unless they have some kind of access to the ferry at Port Liberte.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/31 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

malcontent wrote:

You're talking about the Marin Blvd site? Can you share more info? Where are the two towers going to go? (I thought all of that land was Liberty Harbor).

Posted on: 2014/1/31 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

malcontent wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/31 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
If Cory Booker can get one to open in Newark, perhaps we should get Mayor Fulop on the hook to make this happen. If he can get a Whole Foods to open in JC, imagine what he can do for the country! He can do anything!!! <-- He has my permission to use this tag line as his Presidential campaign in the future.

Posted on: 2014/1/31 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Never say never owlie. I heard on the radio today that Cory Booker persuaded Whole Foods to open in Newark:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/S ... 4066404579125623131838750

Posted on: 2014/1/30 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
@SRhia?you are funny. But seriously, there won't ever be a Whole Foods in JC. That's the facts Jack.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Let me start the rumor: will there be a Whole Foods in the ground floor?

heheheheh....

Posted on: 2014/1/30 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

malcontent wrote:

Open the link, fyi.

Posted on: 2014/1/30 0:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/18 7:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/30 0:04

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017