Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Virile Barber Shop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
They close the blinds when it's really hot out. It's very open and thriving. Try to get a cut there on short notice.

No that's for the hand job after the neck massage - for $50 dolla

Posted on: 2016/8/12 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
They close the blinds when it's really hot out. It's very open and thriving. Try to get a cut there on short notice.

Posted on: 2016/8/12 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Very much so.

Posted on: 2016/8/12 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Keep passing this shop and it's always closed. Anyone know whether it's still in business? Thnx.

Posted on: 2016/8/12 11:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Virile Barber & Shop offers Jersey City men classic cuts with an edge

By Summer Dawn Hortillosa | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
on March 13, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Whether you're a hipster with a mustache, a bearded lumbersexual or just a guy trying to look good in Jersey City, chances are someone's told you to pay Virile Barber & Shop a visit.

The Jersey Avenue barbershop is only coming up on its first anniversary in JC (they also have a location in Waldwick), but they've already made a name for themselves in Downtown.

While owner Andre Fersa and his crew (Emmy Feyeux, Rich Fonde and Dan Boyle) honor age-old barbering techniques and traditions, they've got an edge you don't often see at other shops. At Virile, you're just as likely to see cash registers and barber aprons from another time ("We tend to get nerdy when it comes to barbering antiques," admitted Fersa) as you are to see tattoos on your barber's arms or plugs in a client's ears.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... classic.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/3/13 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kimmygo wrote:
Has anyone gotten a kids hair cut here? Thinking of taking my son.

i go there monthly and like it very much. I'd say it's a bit pricey to be taking kiddies, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Posted on: 2015/2/4 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kimmygo wrote:

He'll enjoy the free bourbon and Playboys/

Posted on: 2015/2/4 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
pleased as punch with the haircut I got there today.

Posted on: 2015/2/4 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I went recently for a shave and though it's pricey, it's definitely a relaxing experience, like a nice massage. I felt very relaxed and almost felt like falling asleep at times. Very nice guys, and a very thorough shave, they really know what they're doing.

Really a great place.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 1:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/8 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Went there for the 1st time yesterday and got a haircut and shave from the apprentice barber. It was a little less expensive than what the Hoboken Man offers. If I had the barber or master barber it would be a little more expensive.

Generally I find that my haircuts at both high end and less expensive barbers start out the same. The question is how well it's going to fill in. The barber yesterday layered my hair in a way that I think it will fill in neater than others, but we'll see.

The shave is where the rubber really hits the road. Here I have found you really do need to go to the higher end places to get a good shave, and Virile did a great job with that.

Generous pour of bourbon that they generously topped off. And just a nice place in terms of the decor. You can hang out a little before and after your cut as well.

I liked it. I will see in 2-3 weeks how it's doing before a final verdict but I am inclined to make Virile my barbershop of choice.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I spent $60 for my clipper. I can cut my hair whenever I want. However the back shave is interesting lol.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 20:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
This place is great. Andre does an excellent job. For $40 + tip, I get a hair wash, great cut, a bourbon, and no cost of commuting to the city. Can't beat it. Nice guys over there.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:

Will look forward to my next bourbon->beard trim->haircut-> back shave...

They offer back shaving? Like neck to waist?

Posted on: 2014/10/13 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Been there twice so far. Andre is my guy. So far so good. I spent 40+tip the first time for a haircut (and a bourbon). I spent 75+tip the second for a haircut and a hot shave. I had a full beard at the time. Well worth it. Will keep going back. My current hair style needs maintenance ever 5-6 weeks, so the extra spending (vs. $30 including tip in midtown) is worth the extra penny. They add judgment to the mix which the sub-$30 providers don't always do well.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users

Got an apprentice cut over the weekend, 100% satisfied. After paying manhattan prices for ages, and never finding a good JC alternative I finally have a reason to stay in town. Great vibe in there and really nice work... best cut I've had in years and a nice break from what I had been paying.

The last one I tried in JC was on Erie next to the daycare off Newark. Yikes. Same price as City, bad vibes from staff (honest mixup tipping the hair washer, which i returned to rectify even though they made it awkward) and a joke haircut. Went to my NYC spot to get it cleaned up and they were cracking up at all the f'd up things going on. Totally bizarre experience.

Will look forward to my next bourbon->beard trim->haircut-> back shave...

Posted on: 2014/10/13 20:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/1 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Stopped by the shop the other day to inquire about prices. Seems the posts on here are incorrect. $40 haircut with their barbers. $30 with an apprentice. $15 for cleanup (hairline/neckline).

Posted on: 2014/2/19 16:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, my normal haircut is free. I do it myself. This is about a relaxing experience. Some people like to get a massage. I like to get a shave.

Posted on: 2014/2/10 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jolly13 wrote:
I decided to stop in for a shave and a haircut. The whole thing was 75 bucks

If it's worth it, pay for it & if it still looks like a $12 haircut, at least you tried.

Posted on: 2014/2/10 14:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
I decided to stop in for a shave and a haircut. I keep my hair short so its an easy cut.
I get a few shaves a year and this one was as good as any. The whole thing was 75 bucks, but they gave me 10 off since it was my first time.
I, for one, am glad they are here. I'll probably be stopping in every other month or so.

Oh, and I got a glass of bourbon (Bulleit) and it was a generous pour.

Posted on: 2014/2/10 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Is 40-50 dollars expensive for a men's haircut? I guess. You know what is also expensive... going out to dinner. One night out to dinner costs about the same and all you'll have the next day to show for it is a hangover and a giant dump. Or hey, spend the money on a professional haircut that will hold it's look for the next month, or two if your lucky. Now, if my standard cut consisted of a #6 clip followed by a #2 on the sides, of course I'm not going here, that's like going to Peter Luger for the fish. Everyone spends their money differently; on booze, video games, sports tickets, luxury vehicles, personal appearance or whatever. I don't read books in my spare time but I'm not fuming over WORD coming to town ? maybe it's nice to have, i don't know, something for everybody?

About the lousiest analogy one can come up with. For that $50, one person is servicing me by removing my hair, which I've had done just fine for quite a bit less than that. I'm not going to get a better haircut no matter how much I spend.

On the other hand for $100, dinner for two, we're getting the services of waiter, busboy, host, bartender and others, and quality products that cost real money. Lets agree that physical space is equal in both situations, though quite frankly I'd argue that restaurants have a whole lot higher overhead costs. Oh and BTW, no hangover. I don't quite get the obsession with drinking. What I do get out of it, hopefully a great meal often trying things I've never eaten before. I really don't count the next day's toilet activity as part of my dinner out.

You are right, everyone has their own priorities. For me, admittedly mostly bald, I don't get spending more than $20 on a haircut, and I'm quite happy with my $12 haircut from someone who's been doing it probably close to 50 years. So happy that I probably do it twice a year whether I need it or not.

The first sentence of your closing argument is the only statement in your entire response worth sharing.

I would have to agree with that. One of the worst rebuttals I've read on this message board. Even though you didn't intend to do it, you basically fully reinforced the point the original poster conveyed. You're mostly bald - No sh*t that you don't want to spend more than $12 on a haircut!!!

Posted on: 2014/2/6 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Is 40-50 dollars expensive for a men's haircut? I guess. You know what is also expensive... going out to dinner. One night out to dinner costs about the same and all you'll have the next day to show for it is a hangover and a giant dump. Or hey, spend the money on a professional haircut that will hold it's look for the next month, or two if your lucky. Now, if my standard cut consisted of a #6 clip followed by a #2 on the sides, of course I'm not going here, that's like going to Peter Luger for the fish. Everyone spends their money differently; on booze, video games, sports tickets, luxury vehicles, personal appearance or whatever. I don't read books in my spare time but I'm not fuming over WORD coming to town ? maybe it's nice to have, i don't know, something for everybody?

About the lousiest analogy one can come up with. For that $50, one person is servicing me by removing my hair, which I've had done just fine for quite a bit less than that. I'm not going to get a better haircut no matter how much I spend.

On the other hand for $100, dinner for two, we're getting the services of waiter, busboy, host, bartender and others, and quality products that cost real money. Lets agree that physical space is equal in both situations, though quite frankly I'd argue that restaurants have a whole lot higher overhead costs. Oh and BTW, no hangover. I don't quite get the obsession with drinking. What I do get out of it, hopefully a great meal often trying things I've never eaten before. I really don't count the next day's toilet activity as part of my dinner out.

You are right, everyone has their own priorities. For me, admittedly mostly bald, I don't get spending more than $20 on a haircut, and I'm quite happy with my $12 haircut from someone who's been doing it probably close to 50 years. So happy that I probably do it twice a year whether I need it or not.

The first sentence of your closing argument is the only statement in your entire response worth sharing.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/6 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
maybe it's nice to have, i don't know, something for everybody?

What is this nonsense. Don't you know we're supposed to abolish all businesses that do not cater to our exact tastes (dollar stores where the poors shop, restaurants with a wait over 6.5 minutes for service, juice bars selling $8/bottle juices)? ;)

Posted on: 2014/2/5 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

The true test is will they still be in business in JC 1 year from when they open.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

haha - well stated!

Posted on: 2014/2/5 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/5 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think $50 is to bad, especially with a drink thrown in. I've suffered at the hands of a butcher, er barber before and will gladly pay for a better cut.

Sadly I'm locked in at my current spot for a while.

I also wish they did manicures as well.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Their concept is great but JC does not have enough affluent people to support this type of business. Greenwich CT, Princeton, NJ and the Upper Eastside of MH, yes. JC, no.

really!? maybe 07310 doesn't, but sure seems like large portions of 07302 and 07303 do.

I doubt it, there's enough whining on this board about the price of a HC from residents of those area codes.

I doubt this board is representative of anything other than the segment of the population that most likes to bitch.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Their concept is great but JC does not have enough affluent people to support this type of business. Greenwich CT, Princeton, NJ and the Upper Eastside of MH, yes. JC, no.

really!? maybe 07310 doesn't, but sure seems like large portions of 07302 and 07303 do.

I doubt it, there's enough whining on this board about the price of a HC from residents of those area codes.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 17:46

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017