Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Political Insider: Does the Jersey City Recreation Department discriminate in its hiring?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quotas are stupid. Simply give the jobs to the kids that need it most - can't be that tough to figure a formula.

You cannot tell who is the neediest by where they live. A kid live in an upscale area could have parents that were downsized. My suggestion - let the 6 councilpersons from each ward pick the kids to work the jobs.

Actually, you can generally tell who are the neediest based on the areas they live in. Generally, people live in areas with people of similar economic level. There are certainly outliers, but you aren't catching someone on welfare renting from The Trump building.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 15:56
Dos A Cero

Re: Political Insider: Does the Jersey City Recreation Department discriminate in its hiring?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quotas are stupid. Simply give the jobs to the kids that need it most - can't be that tough to figure a formula.

You cannot tell who is the neediest by where they live. A kid live in an upscale area could have parents that were downsized. My suggestion - let the 6 councilpersons from each ward pick the kids to work the jobs.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/13 15:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/17 10:44
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
You must be a recreation employee since you seem to have inside information about the technology that is being used by Mr. Strother. Can you tell me, is there an office or a web site that the public can go to to view this info? I haven't seen anything about it on the Jersey City website. You say he is doing this to be open, but when he approached and questioned (at least in my experience with him) he is curt and condescending.

You also claim that patronage workers are disgruntled because now they actually have to work. That's a big statement, implying that they didn't work under other directors. If that's the case, who ran the programs before Mr. Strother came? I have children of various ages and have had them involved in recreation programs over the years. The programs were always run well, by people who were helpful and seemed happy to be there.

Lastly you say that he has added programs that the department has received money for. That may be true, but he has also taken away programs, like the ski trip that my family looked forward to each year. And he has raised prices or added a fee for others. Like a party room at the ice rink at Pershing Field used to be free, now there is a fee. All of the prices at the concession stand have also been raised. So, since you seem to have the inside track, can you explain why this is?

Lastly, as for the issue at hand, the hiring practices, no matter what the job is, it should be available to all youth of Jersey City, broken up by ward and demographics. That is the way schools like County Prep and Mc Nair and the charter schools do it.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Thinkabout wrote:
You are who your friends are, or so they say. If Akil and Ryan are friends, then Ryan most likely feels the same way as Akil, the same as if he made the hate speeches himself.

Whatever! you sound dumb as F#*k! I have some very good friends who are total opposite of me. I am a liberal who grew up in old New York and some of my best buddies are the most anti-liberal people you can meet. Stop putting everyone on the same boat.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 14:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/17 10:44
From USA
Group:
Registered Users
You are who your friends are, or so they say. If Akil and Ryan are friends, then Ryan most likely feels the same way as Akil, the same as if he made the hate speeches himself.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The next Recreational Director might be Hispanic and decides he will play the same game as the previous director. He will favor Hispanic kids. Therefore, I agree with Yun, there should be a quota by wards. Let every child from the six wards have the opportunity to work these jobs.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
This is nonsense, you can't say that ward F is the poorest in the city and then complain that all the youth there are hired to pick up trash because youths from Ward _ did not get hired.

This, 100%. This is the epitome of silliness. The distinguished councilman wants a quota system in place?? So, let's discourage disadvantaged youth who are willing to work cleaning our streets because we satisfy some arbitrary quota?? What would this quota reflect? Youth percentages per ward? Race percentages per ward? What happens if (theoretically) 90% of applicants are black? Do we turn away half of them because of some arbitrary quota? What happens when you need to hire 1000 youth, but only 50 whites apply? Do we not fill the open positions because it would violate an arbitrary racial quota??? Talk about "equality" run amok.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps the councilman wanted more kids hired from Montville, NJ. I'm sure they need jobs as well.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
This is nonsense, you can't say that ward F is the poorest in the city and then complain that all the youth there are hired to pick up trash because youths from Ward _ did not get hired.

EXACTLY!

This is almost the reverse argument of kids not wanting to shovel for cash. Here are kids willing to pick up trash and they are told that they can't because we need some quota in place so that parents with more money can get their kids a job as well.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 14:34
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/12 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Is this a legitimate issue? Are people really claiming their is some racist policy in place regarding jobs that are, in essence, picking up trash off of the street?

I'd be really interested to see who has actively applied for these jobs along with the economic status of those individuals.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 14:21
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/12 7:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

‘Stop the Drop’ hiring practices highlighted amid support for Councilman Rivera following attacks

February 11, 2015 - Jersey City, News - Written by                       

The hiring practices of the Jersey City Recreation Department’s “Stop the Drop” anti-litter program were called into question during an energized council meeting that will be remembered for the support given to Councilman Daniel Rivera in light of recent political attacks.

A regular meeting of the Jersey City Council was more spirited than usual following the circulation of a racially charged flyer accusing Councilman Daniel Rivera of “NOT supporting the BLACK YOUTH of Jersey City.”

A large group of residents, from both the Latino and black communities, spoke and held signs in support of Rivera amid controversy that stems from the labor practices of the Jersey City Recreation Department.

Read more:  http://hudsoncountyview.com/stop-drop ... rivera-following-attacks/

Posted on: 2015/2/12 6:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are under privilege children in all wards. Some areas of the Heights and Journal Square do have children in need, just walk in the area. I am glad those children had an opportunity for employment. But no one can say other wards do not have children in need.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
It's kids picking up trash. So I'm not sure how you would define "qualified applicant." The program was, in part, done to give employment opportunities to youth in underserved communities, and the African-American areas of the city are some of the most economically depressed areas.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Ward D Councilman Michael Yun cited information provided to him regarding the racial breakdown of hires from the ?Stop the Drop? anti-litter program ? which were 62% black, 24% Hispanic, 2% white, 1% Asian, and the rest other or unknown ? as well as the breakdown by ward.

I'd like to see the proportion of qualified applicants vs. the hiring stats. If this is a city-wide program designed for all youth, perhaps a better job should be done to balance the hiring across all racial strata that accurately reflects the demographics of the youth of the city. I don't see Yun's questions as inappropriate.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Michael Yun represents his ward and wants his young people hired. What is wrong with that? That is the job of a counciperson, he/she should advocate for their ward. In this case he is going by the numbers. The numbers are low for Ward D and other wards.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The Recreation Department has done a very good job offering a new range of activities for both youth and adults. Of course, they've also received the funding to do so.

They also have been working with Open JC to provide better tracking of who uses their programs. Mr. Strother has been one of the most receptive department heads to actually using technology and data both to improve operations and make information available to the public.

A lot of patronage employees are upset that they are now required to go out into the field and actually do work.

And it looks like there is a lot of race baiting. Particularly shameful is councilman Yun who declares that if he doesn't get the hiring quotas that HE wants, then Strother should step down.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/11 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Below is a link to yet one more article regarding Ryan Strother's questionable behavior ... and at this point, I'm being very generous. This guy just doesn't seem to be able to keep himself or his family out of the headlines.

I have to ask is Fulop sound asleep or what gives??? Time to get someone qualified to really run this department in a professional manner. It just sounds like the fish is rotting from the head and Strother is creating or condoning an unhealthy work environment. It's time for him to go home and get his own house in order (maybe get rid of the handguns to begin with?) and let someone better qualified and at this point, less controversial, run Recreations.

http://hudsoncountyview.com/jc-recrea ... ice-disciplinary-reports/

Posted on: 2015/2/10 20:33

Re: Recreation Director Ryan Strother
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Ryan Strother never went to college and when he made posts to the Department of Recreation's facebook page (when there was one), the spelling and grammar were atrocious. Normally I don't get too wrapped up in cosmetic things like that but it really says something about the person that is running a city agency with a sizeable budget. Sorry if it comes off as snobby, but I think running such an agency in a city as large as Jersey City should require having a college education. Didn't he used to work in a factory or something?

Clearly this person is unfit to run a whole city department and this news shouldn't come as any surprise.

I know college graduates (some with advanced degrees) that have a tenuous grasp of proper grammar and spelling. I think a better requirement would be "Able to demonstrate proper use, grammar and spelling of the English language"

Having a college education AND being "able to demonstrate proper use, grammar and spelling of the English language" should both be required for the job. Ah well, I know there will be some flames coming on this one no matter what I say.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Ryan Strother never went to college and when he made posts to the Department of Recreation's facebook page (when there was one), the spelling and grammar were atrocious. Normally I don't get too wrapped up in cosmetic things like that but it really says something about the person that is running a city agency with a sizeable budget. Sorry if it comes off as snobby, but I think running such an agency in a city as large as Jersey City should require having a college education. Didn't he used to work in a factory or something?

Clearly this person is unfit to run a whole city department and this news shouldn't come as any surprise.

I know college graduates (some with advanced degrees) that have a tenuous grasp of proper grammar and spelling. I think a better requirement would be "Able to demonstrate proper use, grammar and spelling of the English language"

Posted on: 2015/2/9 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/9 18:06

Recreation Director Ryan Strother
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/9 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you compare the almost appointment of Ray Velasquez to the bench, actually a return to the bench under Healy to Fulop's appointments; then I have to say Healy did a better job.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Is cronyism an offense and can it be grounds for an investigation for poor governance if their were other applicants to a position?

Posted on: 2015/2/1 3:21
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Ryan owes his job to Akil, not a big secret there, Ryan worked for the developer brandywine and Ryan made the HUB campaign central for Fulop. Lets be frank, Akil didn't deliver a hate speech, he delivered lots of hate speeches and actually created a business around delivering these speeches. Ryan owes everything to Akil and so AKIL now runs recreation in a defacto way.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
croneyism? in hudson county, new jersey?!

noooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted on: 2015/1/31 23:20

Political Insider: Does the Jersey City Recreation Department discriminate in its hiring?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Political Insider: Does the Jersey City Recreation Department discriminate in its hiring?

By Agustin C. Torres | The Jersey Journal The Star-Ledger
January 31, 2015 at 11:09 AM

So the last thing anyone in the administration of Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop wants to see is a couple of guys from the city recreation department walk into this week's City Council meeting and accuse the boss in charge of fun and games of discrimination.

They said their boss, Ryan Strother, prefers hiring African-Americans, rather than Hispanics or any other ethnic or racial category. They, being rec employees Andrew Andrade and David Cosme, say there's tension on the job and claim you have a good chance of getting a paycheck if you have connections with former mayoral Chief of Staff Mohammed Akil.

As a prop, one of them showed off a list of names that they say are rec hires, almost all African-Americans, a fact that can't be verified with a piece of paper. Ask around and you'll find that there are mixed opinions on whether this is a bad thing.

I also bet some of you thought Akil disappeared after he resigned when it came out that he once gave a college graduate speech with a streak of homophobia and grabbed audience attention by using the words "white" and "Hitler" in the same sentence. Actually, Akil has civil service protection and he was sent to where historically some "flawed" employees wind up, the Recreation Department. There, he maintains his $115,000-plus salary, city car, etc. and while at it, Akil has picked up the conch shell making rec workers confused of whether they are under the influence of the director or "the boss."

City Councilman Daniel Rivera was surprised by the accusations. "It raised some eyebrows," said Rivera, who is trying to work with Strother to start a high school-linked baseball and softball league for students ages 16, 17, and 18, when they are most vulnerable to gangs . The councilman said that at first it seemed the complaints were "well-orchestrated" but he also felt that at least one of the men spoke "from the heart."

City attorney Jeremy Farrell broke up the public discussion at the meeting because he said the issue falls under the "personnel" cone of silence.

Read more: http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... reation.html#incart_river 

Posted on: 2015/1/31 20:31

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017