Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fulop and Baraka: Odd Couple, or power couple?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
You're right, the grandson of Holocaust survivors, I mistyped.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop's father, Arthur, is 68 years old. His mother, Carmen, is 60. Unless there is another holocaust with which I am unfamiliar, neither of his parents are "holocaust survivors." Surprised, given your level of Fulop fetishism, you'd get that one wrong.

Speaking of fetishes, Politicker (or, more to the point, the Kushner family) sure seems to have a lot of love for our mayor. Unusual is the day that Fulop doesn't appear in there in some shape or form. Seems like they are right alongside DeCotiis, CME, Sanzari, et al in the "Let's Make a Governor" line dance.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'll circle it back for you. The title of the thread and the story is about whether Baraka and Fulop are an odd couple, or power couple. Since Ras's dad implicated the Israeli government in the 9/11 attacks, and Fulop is the child of Holocaust survivors, it would seem the basis for a heated conversation, especially since Ras has supported the 'poem' by performing it publicly.

Apparently you don't see the connection for my comments. That's fine. I could also point out the very strong rhetoric that Ras has used to describe Wall Street, of which Fulop left to get into politics and will keep close ties to as he gets ready to run for Governor.

The McGreevey connection, as he tried to remove Ras's dad from his Poet Laureate position, found out he couldn't do it legally, so had the NJ Legislature do an end run by eliminating the honorary position because of the outcry over the 'poem' that Ras recited in the YouTube video. I could see a heated discussion between this odd/power couple.

I know you'll disagree, but that's fine.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
You may watch Ras performing his father's notorious 'poem' 'Someone blew up America'. Draw your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnBbjwTR31E

Eh. I'm not seeing what conclusions you want me or anyone else to see based on that. Nor do I know what it has to do with whether or not the man would have gone into politics.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 14:50
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You may watch Ras performing his father's notorious 'poem' 'Someone blew up America'. Draw your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnBbjwTR31E

Posted on: 2015/1/30 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Look at the thread title, Pebs. Do you think that Ras would be Mayor of Newark, or perhaps gone into politics at all, if his dad wasn't Amiri Baraka?? I'm sure that Ras would agree with that, he's very proud of his dad.

I have no idea what would have happened if Ras' father wasn't Amiri.

I have no doubt that Ras is proud of his father. That doesn't mean that he agrees with everything his father says. I'm sure you can say the same about your father as I do about mine.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 14:32
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Look at the thread title, Pebs. Do you think that Ras would be Mayor of Newark, or perhaps gone into politics at all, if his dad wasn't Amiri Baraka?? I'm sure that Ras would agree with that, he's very proud of his dad.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Where did I say anything like that? Please don't put words in my mouth, thankee!

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I wonder if Fulop, son of Holocaust survivors, has ever spoken to Baraka about his father's poem which said that Israel was complicit in 9/11. Given that Ras's dad sued Fulop's right hand man McGreevey over having his NJ Poet Laureate post eliminated over the controversy you'd think it would make for a heated discussion, no?

I'm no fan of Baraka, but the idea that a son should pay for the crimes of the father is an exceptionally antiquated idea in today's time.

Please provide the portion of your quote in which Baraka, personally, has done something to raise Fulop's ire? All I see are reference's to the father's poetry and the father's lawsuit. As such, it is a legitimate question to ask why Baraka should be answering for his father's decisions.

The premise that Fulop and Baraka will have a "heated discussion" is entirely based on the concept of the son answering for the sins of the father. No words were put in your mouth.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 14:08
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Where did I say anything like that? Please don't put words in my mouth, thankee!

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I wonder if Fulop, son of Holocaust survivors, has ever spoken to Baraka about his father's poem which said that Israel was complicit in 9/11. Given that Ras's dad sued Fulop's right hand man McGreevey over having his NJ Poet Laureate post eliminated over the controversy you'd think it would make for a heated discussion, no?

I'm no fan of Baraka, but the idea that a son should pay for the crimes of the father is an exceptionally antiquated idea in today's time.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/30 13:39
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/30 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Disappointed this wasn't a wedding announcement, but then I realized that's something you save for the Sunday NYTimes.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 12:56

Fulop and Baraka: Odd Couple, or power couple?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Fulop and Baraka: Odd Couple, or power couple?

One man, 37, Jewish-American, is the grandson of Holocaust survivors who took a commonplace road from the suburbs to Wall Street. Then, he decisively swerved on to a different track to the U.S. Marines, war in Iraq, and ultimately the home front of Hudson County politics.

Another man, 44, African-American, is the son of one of the most prominent poets of urban America who was molded by the civic blast furnace of Newark’s 1967 riot, or rebellion, pick your own term. Learning his lessons well, the son became a poet in his own right, a teacher, a principal and ultimately a politician.

The roads of the first man, Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop, and the second, Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, converged during last year’s Newark mayoral race. Fulop, knowing that the eyes of New Jersey and even national politicos were on him, rolled the dice hard and backed Baraka.

Baraka’s win cemented a burgeoning alliance with Fulop that has two key implications.

Baraka and Fulop, together with Paterson Mayor Jose “Joey” Torres, all Democrats, are building a tripartite alliance of New Jersey’s three largest cities meant to focus on urban concerns at a time when there is little to no guarantee of state aid because of budgetary issues.

The speculation over the 2017 Democratic gubernatorial nomination derby adds to the importance of the political partnership of Fulop and Baraka. Fulop’s ties to Baraka bolster his potential northern alliance of Bergen, Hudson and Passaic Democrats; it also gives Baraka some possible leverage against his rival for Essex supremacy, Essex County Executive Joe DiVincenzo. State Senate President Steve Sweeney (D-3), Fulop’s southern rival for the 2017 Democratic gubernatorial nod, is a DiVincenzo ally.

Read more at Fulop and Baraka: Odd Couple, or power couple? | New Jersey News, Politics, Opinion, and Analysis Follow us: @politickernj on Twitter | PolitickerNJ on Facebook

Posted on: 2015/1/30 9:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017