Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Council votes to approve measures naming Jersey City's 100 Steps, mandating repaving of city streets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Nice to see Council broke their own rules about only giving honorary dedications to those who had already died (I forget the time period but it was at least a year).

Posted on: 2015/6/21 21:32

Re: Council votes to approve measures naming Jersey City's 100 Steps, mandating repaving of city streets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
To have these stairs named in honor of a person who is the very symbol of the Old Guard's penchant for cronyism & nepotism, not to mention greed (City, County, State jobs as well as private business) is a slap in the face to those who did all the ground work. And Gaughan's arrogance about his name being put to these stairs speaks volumes about who & what he is.

Absolutely nauseating.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. You left out having his utterly unaccomplished daughter named chair of the MUA so she could have the bennies like healthcare.

Both daughters have County jobs & one was also his council aid (or was that the wife?). The (now ex) son-in-law got a County job. The current may now have one also. The one daughter's boyfriend (maybe an ex by now) works for the Parking Authority & teaches at Vo Tech. Bret got him into this whole thing & let him & his pals do what they want. And know you can't walk anywhere in the Heights without the constant reminder of their greatness (cough, cough).

Posted on: 2015/1/30 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
To have these stairs named in honor of a person who is the very symbol of the Old Guard's penchant for cronyism & nepotism, not to mention greed (City, County, State jobs as well as private business) is a slap in the face to those who did all the ground work. And Gaughan's arrogance about his name being put to these stairs speaks volumes about who & what he is.

Absolutely nauseating.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. You left out having his utterly unaccomplished daughter named chair of the MUA so she could have the bennies like healthcare.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 4:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
I'd love to see all public urinals in the City dedicated to Steve Lipski. That would be owning it.

winning.

At the time of Lipski's R. Kelly poser phase, I thought the city should restore the Journal Square fountain with one of those urinating cherub statues, with Lipski's face on it of course.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Absolutely nauseating.

I think the naming is fitting. We know who we are in Jersey City and are not afraid to admit it. It's not like it's that different in other places, but we flat out own it.

I agree 100% with you about us (Jersey City)knowing who we are & I am damn proud I am from here. However, Mr. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton does not represent who & what we really are. He is the epitome of what the rest of the country jokes about. The steps will be forever known as the "100 Steps", that is the history & he will mercifully fade into the shadows. Gaughan & his ilk are deifying themselves hoping that all recent arrivals will view them as a great & important part of Jersey City's fascinating history. Unfortunately, it will not be the story of the building of a great city but the underbelly that you whisper. I respect your opinion as I hope you will respect mine but someone who has been as greedy & self-serving as this man & his family does not deserve this honor.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
We know who we are in Jersey City and are not afraid to admit it. It's not like it's that different in other places, but we flat out own it.

I'd love to see all public urinals in the City dedicated to Steve Lipski. That would be owning it.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Absolutely nauseating.

I think the naming is fitting. We know who we are in Jersey City and are not afraid to admit it. It's not like it's that different in other places, but we flat out own it.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I am glad these steps are restored. I used to walk up the 100 steps as a teenager living in Hoboken. I stopped after awhile because it was becoming dangerous.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users

Absolutely nauseating.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
What amazes me about this story is that the Stair Naming issue was prioritized over the Street Paving ordinance. Come on, what kind of idiotic journalism find that the honorary naming of a set of stairs is more important than the fiscal issue of who pays the large sums to repave streets?

My assumption is that PSE&G will think twice before ripping up a street on a frivolous whim. That they'll combine projects and deal with all the issues under a street block when an urgent necessity comes up for that block. Thus saving everyone money.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 12:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
Forget the steps. Ride your bike up our local Alp d'huez switchbacks.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 5:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
From the JJ article

Quote:

Councilwoman Diane Coleman said in the caucus meeting before the city council meeting that she received a ?very disturbing? phone call from PSE&G concerning the ordinance, claiming that it would cost residents ?millions and millions and millions? of dollars. Coleman, however, voted yes on the ordinance.

...if it's done once and done right it's more likely to save millions and millions and millions. But good to know PSE&G is a fan of doing shoddy work, given their "worry-free" contracts.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
nothing like a councilperson complaining and criticizing the very people who did the good deed.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
In reality, there's nothing stopping someone from putting up a sign dedicating, say, 12 steps to Gaughan and the rest of the steps to Maria Tuzzo.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 3:27

Council votes to approve measures naming Jersey City's 100 Steps, mandating repaving of city streets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
City council votes to approve measures naming Jersey City's 100 Steps, mandating repaving of city streets

By Patrick McGovern | The Jersey Journal
January 28, 2015 at 9:04 PM

After impassioned dissent from several residents in the audience at Wednesday nights City Council meeting, the city council voted 9-0 to approve an ordinance naming the 100 steps connecting the Jersey City Heights with Franklin Street after former City Councilman Bill Gaughan.

Becky Hoffman, former president of the Riverview Neighborhood Association (RNA), said that the disagreement ?had nothing to do with the honoree,? but must be voted down ?because there was no input from the community.?

?This seems to have some sort of political taint to it,? said Vito Brunetti, former president of the RNA, of the mayor?s decision to name the steps after Gaughan. ?The mayor hasn?t given a reason why he wants to honor Bill Gaughan. He?s looking for political patronage.?

Read more:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ng_jers.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/1/29 2:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017