Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Village Tropical closing this weekend
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
It's not a blanket statement but there is definitely an aspect of that kind of pet-keeping that appeals to weird people. You know the type, they like feeding live things to the big bad snake, probably enjoy UFC and 9 times out of 10 have a Scarface poster on their wall. You KNOW I'm right.
Actually the majority of people who keep snakes now a days don't feed live. The mice/rats are bought frozen and thawed out at feeding time. It is safer for the snake to feed this way also easier and cheaper for the owner.

If you were ever to go to an actual reptile expo you would see it has every personality type there you can think of and their is no stereotypical personality type or look for someone in the hobby.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 23:44

Re: Village Tropical - CLOSED
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Was walking around during the daytime last week, and peeked into this pet shop that is becoming a bar. Work is well underway, there was a bar that was fully framed out. The space looked cozy - sizable but not massive - which in my opinion bodes well for a bar. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Posted on: 2015/10/27 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
I don't know if anybody here follows Mordi's Schnitzel Truck on Twitter, but they posted a week or so ago that the "word on the street" was that this spot is going to open up as a bar ? called "Pet Shop". Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Yes. I heard this from a reliable source. Looking forward to it.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 6:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
I don't know if anybody here follows Mordi's Schnitzel Truck on Twitter, but they posted a week or so ago that the "word on the street" was that this spot is going to open up as a bar ? called "Pet Shop". Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Wouldn't ordinances require this to technically be a restaurant that also happens to have a bar?

Posted on: 2015/1/29 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:

Will their "mixologists" be known as the "Pet Shop Boys"?

Posted on: 2015/1/29 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/29 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Yikes, Vigilante! That article says more about the author?s habit of choosing the wrong partners and her high opinion of herself than anyone's personality traits.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 12:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
It's not a blanket statement but there is definitely an aspect of that kind of pet-keeping that appeals to weird people. You know the type, they like feeding live things to the big bad snake, probably enjoy UFC and 9 times out of 10 have a Scarface poster on their wall. You KNOW I'm right.

Were you beaten up by that guy in middle school or what? You really haven't a clue. But your description fits the thug who owns a pit bull to a T, even though I'll grant most pit owners don't fit that description either.

Most herp geeks I've known are just that, geeks. We're fascinated by these animals, often from pre-pubescence, as is the case for both me and my son. Our bearded dragon ate mostly salad and fruit, not exactly your bloodsport. And the VAST majority of modern snake owners feed defrosted rodents: easier, cheaper, and safer for the expensive reptile. You simply haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
http://magazine.foxnews.com/love/what ... als-about-his-personality

What type of pet a man owns says a lot about who he is and how he lives his life. When you meet someone who has a pet, it's just not the same as meeting someone who is pet-free. There's a good chance his pet will affect your dating life ? especially if it's a dog or cat, since those tend to become the center of a person's life.

In other words, sometimes you just can't compete with Doug the Dog, whom your new dude has had for years, so surrender that fantasy right now. If you're looking for someone to make their whole world about you, you probably won't find it in a pet-owner ? I speak from experience. From dogs to rabbits to snakes, here is what your man's choice of pet says about him. Use this as a guide to weed out the weirdos before you do something ridiculous like fall in love.

Dog
If he owns a dog, your man is loyal and can actually commit, because owning a dog is as close to having a child as it comes. While other pets can be left for an evening or two, dog ownership doesn't allow for such behavior. But the major problem here is just how obsessed he is with his dog, because if he lets that puppy sleep in his bed every night, then you better get used to his dog witnessing your sexy times.

Cat
Oh, you've found a sensitive fella! And he's not only sensitive, but just loves to send you photos of his cat all day long and post them on Facebook and Twitter. I'm not sure why this is, but guys with cats are prone to such things. Also, although Mitten the Kitten can stand spending a night alone thanks to her litter box, the fact remains that she gets very lonely when her owner isn't there. This means you'll be spending most, if not all nights, at his place. Mitten the Kitten needs him! Why can't you understand that?

READ: 9 Ways To Help Your Partner Love Your Cat

Fish
If your guy has a tank full of fish, he just may be low on the emotions, and is probably even "cold as a fish" in bed. Pets are meant to be cuddled, not watched! Sure, maybe he has some sort of allergy to furry pets, but there's just something weird and "Dr. Evil" to me about a guy who only owns fish as pets.

Parrot
Again, not exactly a pet you can cuddle with, but at least you can pet it and teach it to say things. A fella with a pet parrot is probably the type who's really impressed with himself. How can you tell? Well, he's taught his parrot to say the same pretentious and cheesy lines he'll try on you during a first date. Great.

Rabbit
The reason your man would have a pet rabbit is because he never had one when he was a kid, and now that he's living on his own, he's going to finally fulfill that dream. The rabbit's name is probably something like "Rambo"or "Killer" to make up for the fact that he's a dude who actually owns a fluffy bunny.

Rodent
Whether it's a mouse, a rat, a hamster or a guinea pig, if he has some sort of furry creature that lives in a cage and he's over the age of 15, you really need to think long and hard about whether you want to continue dating him. Why? Let's be honest, owning a gerbil or the like is indicative of some dark, and probably quite disturbing issues. Think Richard Gere on this one.

Ferret
We could technically put this in the rodent category, but something about the sneakiness of a ferret just makes it stand alone. A guy who owns a ferret is probably relatively shady and most likely hiding something. If he takes that ferret for walks on a leash, he's not only a sketch-ball, but he also likes attention ? and not the good kind of attention.

Iguana
Ooh! This guy thinks he's so macho! He also thinks he's still in his fraternity house where he was once the "cool" guy for having an iguana. Although these days he's not as "into" his iguana as he used to be, he just can't give him up. They do have all those shared memories from college after all, including the time Iggy the Iguana got his tail caught in the door during that kegger and it fell off. No worries! It grew back, because that's what iguanas do: grow back their tails. So weird.

Snake
Seriously? A grown man with a snake? Does he drive a Camaro and rock a Metallica shirt circa 1986? Oh, you say he wants you to watch him feed a mouse to his snake on your second date? One word: Run. Run. Run.

Oh man, this is too good. I actually do have a Camaro (the state car of NJ) and anyone who listens to Metallica post Master of a Puppets has terrible taste in music.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

you seem to be giving this a LOT of thought.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/4/1 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
For any of you interested in herps (reptiles and amphibians) check out the reptile expo in White Plains NY this weekend. I recommend you research what you plan on buying first and not make an impulse buy but if you are only used to seeing common reptiles available this will give you chance to see the more exotic and less common morphs and species. They sell snakes, amphibians, tarantulas, the supplies, snake racks, cages as well as frozen feeder mice in bulk cheaper then if you were to buy at a pet shop. Stick with captive bred and ask a ton of questions to the breeders they enjoy answering them if they are good breeder. NY Reptile Expo
Also pick up Reptile Magazine if you are into this hobby.
Reptiles Magazine

Great place, that's where we got our recently deceased bearded dragon a decade ago. The breeders are far more careful with their stock than pet stores, and there are amazing variants available, even of common species like rat and milk snakes.

I think V is projecting some of his ample hostility on reptile lovers for some deep seated reason. Personally, I haven't live fed anything bigger than a cricket or earthworm in over 30 years. I think the pathology of people with big dangerous dogs is far more scary than someone with a garter snake they feed chunks of supermarket fish to.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
For any of you interested in herps (reptiles and amphibians) check out the reptile expo in White Plains NY this weekend. I recommend you research what you plan on buying first and not make an impulse buy but if you are only used to seeing common reptiles available this will give you chance to see the more exotic and less common morphs and species. They sell snakes, amphibians, tarantulas, the supplies, snake racks, cages as well as frozen feeder mice in bulk cheaper then if you were to buy at a pet shop. Stick with captive bred and ask a ton of questions to the breeders they enjoy answering them if they are good breeder. NY Reptile Expo
Also pick up Reptile Magazine if you are into this hobby.
Reptiles Magazine

Posted on: 2014/3/31 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Sadly, Israel kept his pet beardies and monitor in much too small terrariums.

He also overcrowded the rabbits and kept his ferrets in filth. And on sunny days, the birds in the unshaded window would sit with their wings outstretched and mouths open.

Their Facebook page suggested getting a 50% discounted animal as a gift for your child or girlfriend. Pets should never be an impulse-purchase, let alone a gift for someone who wasn't planning on caring for it.

I'm always sad to see a small business close, but Village Tropical was the kind of pet store I'm encouraged to see is on the decline.
I agree I payed more attention to reptiles and didnt like how he had kept them. Chameleons were in glass cages instead of screen. Snakes in cages way too small, the rule of thumb is cage size should be 2/3 the size of the snake at a minimum. I also am into tarantulas and noticed he had a OBT tarantula labeled as a rosy hair. Most rosy hairs can be handled and are calm spiders an OBT on the other hand shouldnt they are normally very aggresive and have stronger venom then a rosy hair.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
http://magazine.foxnews.com/love/what ... als-about-his-personality

What type of pet a man owns says a lot about who he is and how he lives his life. When you meet someone who has a pet, it's just not the same as meeting someone who is pet-free. There's a good chance his pet will affect your dating life ? especially if it's a dog or cat, since those tend to become the center of a person's life.

In other words, sometimes you just can't compete with Doug the Dog, whom your new dude has had for years, so surrender that fantasy right now. If you're looking for someone to make their whole world about you, you probably won't find it in a pet-owner ? I speak from experience. From dogs to rabbits to snakes, here is what your man's choice of pet says about him. Use this as a guide to weed out the weirdos before you do something ridiculous like fall in love.

Dog
If he owns a dog, your man is loyal and can actually commit, because owning a dog is as close to having a child as it comes. While other pets can be left for an evening or two, dog ownership doesn't allow for such behavior. But the major problem here is just how obsessed he is with his dog, because if he lets that puppy sleep in his bed every night, then you better get used to his dog witnessing your sexy times.

Cat
Oh, you've found a sensitive fella! And he's not only sensitive, but just loves to send you photos of his cat all day long and post them on Facebook and Twitter. I'm not sure why this is, but guys with cats are prone to such things. Also, although Mitten the Kitten can stand spending a night alone thanks to her litter box, the fact remains that she gets very lonely when her owner isn't there. This means you'll be spending most, if not all nights, at his place. Mitten the Kitten needs him! Why can't you understand that?

READ: 9 Ways To Help Your Partner Love Your Cat

Fish
If your guy has a tank full of fish, he just may be low on the emotions, and is probably even "cold as a fish" in bed. Pets are meant to be cuddled, not watched! Sure, maybe he has some sort of allergy to furry pets, but there's just something weird and "Dr. Evil" to me about a guy who only owns fish as pets.

Parrot
Again, not exactly a pet you can cuddle with, but at least you can pet it and teach it to say things. A fella with a pet parrot is probably the type who's really impressed with himself. How can you tell? Well, he's taught his parrot to say the same pretentious and cheesy lines he'll try on you during a first date. Great.

Rabbit
The reason your man would have a pet rabbit is because he never had one when he was a kid, and now that he's living on his own, he's going to finally fulfill that dream. The rabbit's name is probably something like "Rambo"or "Killer" to make up for the fact that he's a dude who actually owns a fluffy bunny.

Rodent
Whether it's a mouse, a rat, a hamster or a guinea pig, if he has some sort of furry creature that lives in a cage and he's over the age of 15, you really need to think long and hard about whether you want to continue dating him. Why? Let's be honest, owning a gerbil or the like is indicative of some dark, and probably quite disturbing issues. Think Richard Gere on this one.

Ferret
We could technically put this in the rodent category, but something about the sneakiness of a ferret just makes it stand alone. A guy who owns a ferret is probably relatively shady and most likely hiding something. If he takes that ferret for walks on a leash, he's not only a sketch-ball, but he also likes attention ? and not the good kind of attention.

Iguana
Ooh! This guy thinks he's so macho! He also thinks he's still in his fraternity house where he was once the "cool" guy for having an iguana. Although these days he's not as "into" his iguana as he used to be, he just can't give him up. They do have all those shared memories from college after all, including the time Iggy the Iguana got his tail caught in the door during that kegger and it fell off. No worries! It grew back, because that's what iguanas do: grow back their tails. So weird.

Snake
Seriously? A grown man with a snake? Does he drive a Camaro and rock a Metallica shirt circa 1986? Oh, you say he wants you to watch him feed a mouse to his snake on your second date? One word: Run. Run. Run.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I love busting your chops but you know, deep down, that I am right. There is definitely a subculture of weirdos, men mostly, who love to watch animals kill other animals. There is no doubt that they derive some kind of creepy pleasure from it and I wouldn't doubt that it gives some of them wood. It's not unlike the dudes who watch UFC and enjoy watching one animal exert "domination" over other animals. In the wild there are male monkeys that will anally rape other males to exert dominance. I definitely see that in the personalities of those who collect snakes and reptiles and those who watch UFC, boxing etc. Sorry if I hit a nerve.

And the award for most creative rendition of Dr. Internet goes to ....!

Posted on: 2014/3/31 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I love busting your chops but you know, deep down, that I am right. There is definitely a subculture of weirdos, men mostly, who love to watch animals kill other animals. There is no doubt that they derive some kind of creepy pleasure from it and I wouldn't doubt that it gives some of them wood. It's not unlike the dudes who watch UFC and enjoy watching one animal exert "domination" over other animals. In the wild there are male monkeys that will anally rape other males to exert dominance. I definitely see that in the personalities of those who collect snakes and reptiles and those who watch UFC, boxing etc. Sorry if I hit a nerve.

I had a turtle that ate bananas... really big ones.

Not to worry, I called Petland Discounts in Greenwich Village, they got the micies hook up.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
That isnt true at all. Its easier getting frozen feeders then live and is a common practice in the herp world to try to avoid feeding live if you can (ocaisionally some will refuse freeze/thawed no matter how hard you try or experienced you are). Your passing judgement on a whole community of hobbiest you clearly know very little about.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/3/31 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
He's a ball python, about 12 years old. I'm willing to try the frozen mouse route again, as it's probably been about 3-4 years since I last tried. He get's feed two regular size mice about every other week depending if he's malting or not.

Anyway, if anyone does know of a pet store than sells live mice, regardless of whether or not you think it's ethical, I'd appreciate the information.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I hope you all have the proper permits.

Says the guy who has nothing but contempt for the city's dog related laws.

careless dog owners result in FAR more people are hurt than careless reptile owners like the victim in the story, no doubt even on a per/pet basis.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
http://www.anapsid.org/nyburm.html

This genius probably enjoyed watching the terror in the chicken's eyes. He got to experience it too! By the way, I hope you all have the proper permits.

According to the New York Times, 19-year old Grant Williams of 365 East 183rd Street Bronx died as the result of an attack by his 13 foot long Burmese Python which may have mistaken him as food.

The victim was found at about 1:30 PM on October 9th by a neighbor lying in a pool of blood with the snake coiled around his torso in the hallway of his apartment building. He was pronounced dead at Jacobi Medical Center. An ambulance crew removed the snake from the victim and it was taken to the Bronx Zoo.

According to the report, Williams and his 17 year old brother, Lamar, purchased the snake at a local pet store known as Pet City about five months ago for $300.00.

This attack may be a feeding related incident as a live chicken was found nearby, still in the box. Williams was apparently getting ready to feed the snake, out of its cage. Pythons, like other snakes, have an acute sense of smell. The detection of a food odor such as a chicken and the proximity of Williams to the snake evidently led the snake to mistake Williams as its prey or food.

This case, like others including cases seen by the undersigned in the E.R. indicate that prey items such as rodents, chickens or rabbits do not have to actually scent a human in order for a snake to attack them. The mere presence of the food in the vicinity can set off a sort of feeding frenzy. Therefore feeding snakes, especially large ones capable of inflicting significant injury or death, should be done with extreme caution.

HerpMed strongly recommends that owners of large boids feed them only in their enclosures or cages. Under no circumstances should such snakes be fed in the open or in a unrestrained manner. The mere presence of food in the vicinity can set off an attack as has been demonstrated countless times, often with tragic consequences.

Food should be inserted into the cage quickly and carefully, preferably using long-handled tongs such as barbecue tongs. It need not be alive and should be pre-killed to facilitate handling. It is important that a snake in olfactory contact with food or prey not be permitted access to its human caretaker. Feeding a large boid is not the same as feeding your dog or cat.

Large boids should not be allowed to free-roam. They can unpredictably attack anyone in the household or escape by pushing out a window or screen with relative ease. Anyone considering the acquisition of such an animal should have the space and funds to house it adequately and safely without resorting to allowing it free roaming privileges. Such snakes should not be handled before or after feeding for several days and then only if there are no olfactory stimuli to provoke a feeding attack. In addition such animals should not be handled unless two or more people are present capable of removing the snake should it attempt an attack. Many jurisdictions prohibit the keeping of such animals without proper permits or licenses. Doing so is not only a legal violation, it is a breech of the public safety -- your own, other members of your family and that of your neighbors and friends.

Questions, suggestions, comments for these guidelines are solicited. Please contact me.

Please feel free to republish this page or disseminate this information as widely as possible among the community of reptile hobbyists and keepers.
Sounds more like you are assuming he enjoyed it. He sounds more like an inexperienced keeper that didn't know the basics to feeding a large snake or how strong feeding response can be. I read another article on this case and he made more mistakes that day that shows how little he knew about the snake he owned. Hopefully this doesnt cause more bans.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Nature is nature but to recreate it in your home so as to derive pleasure seems like the practice of a chronic masturbator.

Vig, isn't your insistence on keeping your dog off-leash just recreating nature on our city streets? (where masturbating is also illegal, btw)

Posted on: 2014/3/31 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Sadly, Israel kept his pet beardies and monitor in much too small terrariums.

He also overcrowded the rabbits and kept his ferrets in filth. And on sunny days, the birds in the unshaded window would sit with their wings outstretched and mouths open.

Their Facebook page suggested getting a 50% discounted animal as a gift for your child or girlfriend. Pets should never be an impulse-purchase, let alone a gift for someone who wasn't planning on caring for it.

I'm always sad to see a small business close, but Village Tropical was the kind of pet store I'm encouraged to see is on the decline.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
This stinks, I go there once a week to buy mice. Any reptile owners on the board who can recommend a place within walking/biking distance from downtown that sells live mice? I've tried the mail order frozen mice before and those are a no-go.
What type of snake do you have? I have had success with multiple snakes in the past that have refused f/t mice/rats and switched them over from live. It takes persistence and patience but their are a few methods that might work. In the long run it is safer for the snake and will also make feeding a lot easier. Also how old is your snake? Young Ball Pythons usually have this problem in my experience more then most other types of snakes.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

This genius probably enjoyed watching the terror in the chicken's eyes.

Based on... what?

Posted on: 2014/3/31 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

This genius probably enjoyed watching the terror in the chicken's eyes. He got to experience it too! By the way, I hope you all have the proper permits.

According to the New York Times, 19-year old Grant Williams of 365 East 183rd Street Bronx died as the result of an attack by his 13 foot long Burmese Python which may have mistaken him as food.

The victim was found at about 1:30 PM on October 9th by a neighbor lying in a pool of blood with the snake coiled around his torso in the hallway of his apartment building. He was pronounced dead at Jacobi Medical Center. An ambulance crew removed the snake from the victim and it was taken to the Bronx Zoo.

According to the report, Williams and his 17 year old brother, Lamar, purchased the snake at a local pet store known as Pet City about five months ago for $300.00.

This attack may be a feeding related incident as a live chicken was found nearby, still in the box. Williams was apparently getting ready to feed the snake, out of its cage. Pythons, like other snakes, have an acute sense of smell. The detection of a food odor such as a chicken and the proximity of Williams to the snake evidently led the snake to mistake Williams as its prey or food.

This case, like others including cases seen by the undersigned in the E.R. indicate that prey items such as rodents, chickens or rabbits do not have to actually scent a human in order for a snake to attack them. The mere presence of the food in the vicinity can set off a sort of feeding frenzy. Therefore feeding snakes, especially large ones capable of inflicting significant injury or death, should be done with extreme caution.

HerpMed strongly recommends that owners of large boids feed them only in their enclosures or cages. Under no circumstances should such snakes be fed in the open or in a unrestrained manner. The mere presence of food in the vicinity can set off an attack as has been demonstrated countless times, often with tragic consequences.

Food should be inserted into the cage quickly and carefully, preferably using long-handled tongs such as barbecue tongs. It need not be alive and should be pre-killed to facilitate handling. It is important that a snake in olfactory contact with food or prey not be permitted access to its human caretaker. Feeding a large boid is not the same as feeding your dog or cat.

Large boids should not be allowed to free-roam. They can unpredictably attack anyone in the household or escape by pushing out a window or screen with relative ease. Anyone considering the acquisition of such an animal should have the space and funds to house it adequately and safely without resorting to allowing it free roaming privileges. Such snakes should not be handled before or after feeding for several days and then only if there are no olfactory stimuli to provoke a feeding attack. In addition such animals should not be handled unless two or more people are present capable of removing the snake should it attempt an attack. Many jurisdictions prohibit the keeping of such animals without proper permits or licenses. Doing so is not only a legal violation, it is a breech of the public safety -- your own, other members of your family and that of your neighbors and friends.

Questions, suggestions, comments for these guidelines are solicited. Please contact me.

Please feel free to republish this page or disseminate this information as widely as possible among the community of reptile hobbyists and keepers.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I am no expert on snakes....but from my understanding most can go without food for long stretches. Although not a fan of reptiles but its nice to know people care about animals in general.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Nature is nature but to recreate it in your home so as to derive pleasure seems like the practice of a chronic masturbator.

How many times has your dog tried to have sex with your leg? Leashless glory indeed!

Posted on: 2014/3/31 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I remember biking home as a teen from the pet store with 2 mice for my boa in a box marked: "I'm going to my new home!"

this is the saddest thing I've read all morning, yet I couldn't suppress a chuckle.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 17:27

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017