Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 14 »

Re: UBER - car service in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
And there have always been those with this dinosaur mentality as well.

The fact is, ANYONE who has taken a JC cab and an Uber knows the difference is night and day. There is no question Uber is a far far superior option. To take the great things that Uber has done and hijack it to lament the "race to the bottom" is just ignorant.

Use some other example the next time you want to cry about the "doom."

Speaking of ignorance, you?re limiting your perspective to a consumer?s mentality focused only on your own experience in Jersey City. Yes, I am aware that Jersey City cabs are terrible?some of the worst I?ve ridden in fact?but that?s Jersey City not the greater world. I?m sure you?re aware that Uber operates in a few other places.

Ask yourself--how many people does Uber actually employ? How much money is the company making? What do drivers earn? What benefits do they receive? If a customer is injured and files a lawsuit, what is Uber?s responsibility and liability? What is the driver?s? Who owns the vehicles? Who's responsible for their maintenance?

Sorry, but the answers to those questions are indicative of a race to the bottom. Do some reading and thinking instead of just consulting your own ass about how comfortable it is in an Uber-arranged vehicle.

Uber is anything but the "bottom" of the hired car business in Jersey City. I don't even care that much about whether Uber costs less or more than the cabs in Jersey City. It's not even the horrific condition that so many cabs in Jersey City are in, or the fact that so many Jersey City cabdrivers refuse to turn on the meters and arbitrarily decide the fares. It's the fact that, when I need a cab in Jersey City - THERE ARE NONE AVAILABLE! You tell me what I'm supposed to do when it's pouring rain outside, I need a cab and there are none to be found.

Uber fills that void in Jersey City and to some extent in Hoboken. I find it unnecessary to use Uber when I'm in Manhattan. Unless the Jersey City cabdrivers want to get together and create an app of their own (apparently this was proposed in Hoboken some time ago and the cab businesses blew it off), I'll be using Uber whenever I need a cab within town.

Posted on: 2015/4/29 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal

Abraham Ceballos says he has flexible hours, easy work and is getting paid $21 an hour.

"I went online, I followed the instructions. Three days later I was driving," Ceballos, of Bayonne, told the Record of Bergen County.

He and other Uber drivers, as well as company officials, were at Laurel Hill Park in Secaucus Monday to rail against a New Jersey bill that would regulate the popular ride-sharing service, the Record reported on its website.

"I needed extra cash," Richard Alvarez of West New York told The Record. "The pay is great, and they always pay on time."

Story

Posted on: 2015/4/29 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
The second you sit down in an UberX car, Uber (the company) is providing insurance for you and the driver. This bill just deals with insurance requirements of an Uber driver when they are not transporting a passenger.

More importantly, and I know this was addressed to someone else, but why is it my responsibility to consult anything other than my own ass about the benefits of Uber....

I admit that I have not read a single legal document related to Uber?s insurance agreement, but I wouldn?t expect to find that Uber is liable for damages related to problems with the vehicles nor errors on the drivers? part. Uber doesn?t operate any vehicles nor employ any drivers so it would be absurd for them to take on so much liability. But again, I have reading to do so I could be wrong.

Now, if you want to play devil?s advocate and ask why should you care? Well, you?re effectively asking why you should care about supporting a practice that is helping your nation race to the bottom, so you figure it out.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Ask yourself--how many people does Uber actually employ? How much money is the company making? What do drivers earn? What benefits do they receive? If a customer is injured and files a lawsuit, what is Uber?s responsibility and liability? What is the driver?s? Who owns the vehicles? Who's responsible for their maintenance?

Sorry, but the answers to those questions are indicative of a race to the bottom. Do some reading and thinking instead of just consulting your own ass about how comfortable it is in an Uber-arranged vehicle.

I personally have no opinion other than "let supply and demand decide" on the pricing of Uber and UberX rides, and would have no problem paying $15 to get to my brother's place in Weehawken instead of the $8 it currently costs, but there's no reason to keep spreading misinformation about Uber's insurance.

The second you sit down in an UberX car, Uber (the company) is providing insurance for you and the driver. This bill just deals with insurance requirements of an Uber driver when they are not transporting a passenger.

More importantly, and I know this was addressed to someone else, but why is it my responsibility to consult anything other than my own ass about the benefits of Uber. If I go to a restaurant and the food tastes like shit, I'm not going to go back. If the chef and staff loses their jobs, homes, whatever, because of it, that isn't my responsibility. No different with Uber. If the drivers don't feel like they are being fairly compensated for their time, they can quit, and prices will go up. I do think that Uber prices in NJ are too low (prices in NYC are closer to what I'd consider reasonable), but it's not my responsibility as a consumer to do anything other than patronize the services that provide value to me. I just hope the cab companies die sooner rather than later, so we can stop this legislated monopoly nonsense.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

The fact is, ANYONE who has taken a JC cab and an Uber knows the difference is night and day. There is no question Uber is a far far superior option. To take the great things that Uber has done and hijack it to lament the "race to the bottom" is just ignorant.

Speaking of ignorance, you?re limiting your perspective to a consumer?s mentality focused only on your own experience in Jersey City. Yes, I am aware that Jersey City cabs are terrible?some of the worst I?ve ridden in fact?but that?s Jersey City not the greater world. I?m sure you?re aware that Uber operates in a few other places.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
History is doomed to repeat itself. The entrenched bureaucracy fighting new technology. No different than the record companies vs. digital music, VCRs vs. the TV industry, ad nauseum. However, somehow the demands of the public manage to eventually win even if losing a few battles.

The technology is the same: There?s still a driver of a motorized, four-wheeled vehicle who uses it to shuttle people from one place to another for a fee. The difference is only in the business model. There?s no taxi company, no taxi licensing or regulation, no full-time employment, and nobody is accountable for the service. Uber and its small number of employees make a killing while the drivers who do all the work are forced to compete for lower income. The doom is in the race to the bottom.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
History is doomed to repeat itself. The entrenched bureaucracy fighting new technology. No different than the record companies vs. digital music, VCRs vs. the TV industry, ad nauseum. However, somehow the demands of the public manage to eventually win even if losing a few battles.

The technology is the same: There?s still a driver of a motorized, four-wheeled vehicle who uses it to shuttle people from one place to another for a fee. The difference is only in the business model. There?s no taxi company, no taxi licensing or regulation, no full-time employment, and nobody is accountable for the service. Uber and its small number of employees make a killing while the drivers who do all the work are forced to compete for lower income. The doom is in the race to the bottom.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 11:21

Edited by Frank_M on 2015/4/28 11:49:40
Edited by Frank_M on 2015/4/28 11:50:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/28 10:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
How refreshing to see politicians looking out for their constituency... Oh, wait. Never mind.

Seriously, the taxi service in JC is downright dangerous, not to mention criminally negligent and dominated by fraudulent drivers. Getting a cabbie to turn on the meter is damn near impossible, the condition of taxi cabs is pathetic, and the list of issues could go on forever. I haven't take a JC cab since Uber came to town. It is easy, affordable and 1,000 times better than riding a JC cab.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
For all the grief that the bill sponsor, Whizzy, has given about a traffic jam in Ft. Lee it would seem he's the one who hates both drivers and Uber users-he want to kill Uber and the like, and Whizzy was the force behind those pesky red light cameras as well. What a guy!

Posted on: 2015/4/27 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I find it difficult to get lyft in Jersey city. There's usually a forever wait.

I tried to use lyft last week to get home from Manhattan and it looks like they stopped crossing the river.

Uber was ~$38 from tribeca.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Uber! Get out of New Jersey!!!

For months, the smartphone-based ridesharing service Uber has responded relatively quietly as the state's taxi and insurance industries have pushed legislation to regulate it.

But now, with the bill to regulate Uber and other "transportation network" companies set for an state Assembly Transportation Committee hearing on Thursday in which the company expects new, stricter amendments, Uber is taking off the driving gloves.

"The bill, with these amendments, would drive Uber out of New Jersey," Matt Wing, a spokesman for Uber, said in a phone interview.

Wing said Uber has 5,000 "driver partners" in New Jersey, who use the company's smartphone app to find customers.

Uber had not outright opposed the bill (A3765) before, saying it hoped to work out some of its objections with lawmakers.

"We had issues with the bill before the amendments. The amendments make it even worse. The amendments literally guarantee that Uber would be driven out of New Jersey, costing the state thousands of jobs and preventing over 100,000 New Jersey residents from getting a safe, convenient ride whenever they want, wherever they are," Wing said.

Dozens of taxidrivers showed up to the Statehouse in February to push for the legislation. One carried a sign that said "Kick Uber out of N.J."

Story

Posted on: 2015/4/27 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I find it difficult to get lyft in Jersey city. There's usually a forever wait.

Posted on: 2015/1/28 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I use Lyft rather than Uber, and generally find that the drivers are on both networks.

Uber has had a lot more bad publicity regarding how it treats its drivers as well as its business practices generally, so I prefer Lyft. I also like being able to add a tip in very quickly after the fare is displayed.

Posted on: 2015/1/28 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nightrider wrote:
As an UberX driver, I just wanted to chime in on the whole question about tipping.....

Thanks for the explanation and it explains quite a bit. I totally agree that Uber should add to their app a screen to tip just like Lyft has.

The only thing you stated that I find a little misleading is deducting for income tax. The vast majority of workers who are not self-employed do not get quoted a net pay rate or an after tax pay rate. It's unfair to compare a net pay rate with a gross rate, not that you have, but other drivers do.

Posted on: 2015/1/28 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
enterprising Uber driver !

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/1/28 13:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/28 9:26
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
As an UberX driver, I just wanted to chime in on the whole question about tipping.

First, to explain the pay structure. Drivers receive 80% of the fare that you pay MINUS the $1 "Safe Riders Fee". In NJ the minimum fare is $5, so of that $5 Uber first takes $1, leaving $4. Then Uber's cut of that is 20%, leaving the driver with $3.20.

Since the drivers are using their own personal automobiles which they must pay to maintain along with the cost of gas, this eats into that $3.20. For simplicity's sake, let's say that ride was 2 miles. Using the IRS' standard per-mile rate of .56/mile (this takes into account gas, maintenance, and depreciation of the value of the car) subtract out $1.12 for the ride, and you are left with $2.08.

As Independent Contractors, we are responsible for paying tax on our earnings. At the end of the day, we're talking about approximately $1.50 is what a NJ driver will pocket on a $5 min fare.

It was mentioned in this thread a few times that car and driver quality seem to be on the decline. This is just a result of the decliniing profitability of driving.

This has all been brought about by several rounds of rate-cuts by Uber to increase ridership. Many drivers have simply stopped driving, however Uber is constantly onboarding new drivers and there is an almost endless supply of people willing to accept less.

To cut this short because it wasn't my intent to drone on and on... Uber as a cashless system is a really great way to do business. What drivers have been bugging Uber for is to add the ability to tip into the app so that there would be no worry about having cash on hand. Uber simply refuses to do this.

Most passengers do not tip. This is how Uber sold the service as "tip included", but this started back when rates were reasonable enough that drivers were reasonably compensated.

For anyone worried about whether to tip some percentage, I offer this. I would be ecstatic if even 10% of my passengers threw me a buck or two. Especially when I'm loading luggage into and out of the car, opening doors, keeping my car extremely well maintained, keeping chargers on hand for all types of phones, etc...

It seems like everyone pretty much agrees that the level of service is superior to most taxicab experiences and at a cost that is significantly less. I will continue to offer this superior service, with a smile, regardless of whether my passengers tip or not. Until it is no longer profitable to do so.

Posted on: 2015/1/28 9:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Guess is the most accurate word in your post.

Surmise is more accurate as the technology is already here and I surmise society as a whole will push for road safety - It will mean vehicle construction costs will decrease as accident avoidance will void airbags and other accident safe guards we have now - I surmise cars will be made entirely from recyclable plastics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgQpa1pUUE

Posted on: 2015/1/27 23:38
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

5-10 years from now, Uber and Lyft have a fleet of google cars and no drivers. Cab fares will be a fraction of what they are today. Smart cities will likely take a cut per mile traveled on their streets.

Some people fail to see change coming until it arrives. And Uber drivers and taxi companies as a whole fall into that group.

I've got money on that google car technology would be best suited to the transport trucking industry - trucks could be 'on' 24/7 hauling from distribution hubs across the nation - Even the bus industry would benefit simply going 24/7 from bus stop to bus stop (locally and interstate) ... both industries would benefit as the transport industry contributes highly to the road toll and high stress / risks to drivers on tight timetables (sleep deprivation and the use of stimulants to keep driving)

As for personal use cars - People will still demand to have control and still want to enjoy the pleasure of driving. Noting the motor racing industry would be null and void if 'joe citizen' couldn't experience the pleasure of driving a car!

I surmise a balance of google cars and driven cars. I also surmise that google type cars, trucks and public transport would be the only forms allowed within city limits or high density towns while 'non google cars' in our suburban / country regions
driverless cars nice idea, but pure fantasy in reality is my guess

Guess is the most accurate word in your post.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

5-10 years from now, Uber and Lyft have a fleet of google cars and no drivers. Cab fares will be a fraction of what they are today. Smart cities will likely take a cut per mile traveled on their streets.

Some people fail to see change coming until it arrives. And Uber drivers and taxi companies as a whole fall into that group.

I've got money on that google car technology would be best suited to the transport trucking industry - trucks could be 'on' 24/7 hauling from distribution hubs across the nation - Even the bus industry would benefit simply going 24/7 from bus stop to bus stop (locally and interstate) ... both industries would benefit as the transport industry contributes highly to the road toll and high stress / risks to drivers on tight timetables (sleep deprivation and the use of stimulants to keep driving)

As for personal use cars - People will still demand to have control and still want to enjoy the pleasure of driving. Noting the motor racing industry would be null and void if 'joe citizen' couldn't experience the pleasure of driving a car!

I surmise a balance of google cars and driven cars. I also surmise that google type cars, trucks and public transport would be the only forms allowed within city limits or high density towns while 'non google cars' in our suburban / country regions
driverless cars nice idea, but pure fantasy in reality is my guess

Posted on: 2015/1/27 12:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/27 6:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Even the company is scamming the system for good PR

http://pando.com/2014/10/29/uber-prs- ... ying-to-scam-journalists/

JC needs a regulated, government controlled taxi system - Our current system is crap and uber appears too open to scams

Posted on: 2015/1/27 6:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

JC needs a regulated, government controlled taxi system - Our current system is crap and uber appears too open to scams

Consumers seem to love and benefit from the current Uber. Not sure what the problem is.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/26 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah he cancelled it on me. He accepted then msged me where I was going. I said JC and then got a notification that the driver was unable to get me. He was hoping for that nice flat $65 to Manhattan.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, its a total game changer... I just got back from vacation and took uber from the airport to GV only $18.50 and took it all weekend from my house to a few bars in my area and it was always just $5.00. The best part about requesting them in GV it seems like they are just hanging out in my front yard, I never have to wait more than 5 min.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
One thing I did find annoying is that the first guy who responded at ewr asked me if i was going to NYC, and he cancelled when i said no.

Did he cancel the trip? Or, did he ask you to cancel the request?? Apparently, some drivers at EWR are now accepting trips immediately and then call and ask where you are headed. If it isn't "convenient" or "easy" to them, they ask you to cancel the trip and request it again. DO NOT DO IT. They are gaming the system. Drivers are penalized for cancelling trips once accepted (I believe the penalty is $10, but it could be $5) and are potentially inconveniencing other drivers who may miss out on a potential fare. If the driver doesn't want to bother with your trip, he can cancel it himself and take the penalty for his sneaky behavior.

As for Uber overall, I am a HUGE fan and I think it is a game changer for JC. I also took an Uber home from EWR recently, and the grand total (with tolls) was $20.22. No other service I have used in the past has come close to that in terms of cost, value, convenience and service.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I went out of town and took classic to the airport. They charged me $30 base, $5 toll, $3 credit card processing, and I tipped $7 for all in of $45.

I took uber back it cost $21. I've only taken uber 5 times and I asked him what my rating was and he said 4.8. I never tipped previously so I'm assuming one driver gave me a 4 for it.

One thing I did find annoying is that the first guy who responded at ewr asked me if i was going to NYC, and he cancelled when i said no.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i don't get what people have against surge pricing. if one does not want to use this and pay for this PRIVATE service,then go elsewhere

exactly, we all survived before Uber. but somewhere along the way, people felt entitled to receive premium service at normal prices.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i don't get what people have against surge pricing. if one does not want to use this and pay for this PRIVATE service,then go elsewhere

Posted on: 2015/1/26 18:05

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017