Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pothole Cold Patches and Parked Cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
No I'm talking about Liberty Harbor (the neighborhood) sidewalks. Not sure if that falls under JC jurisdiction or the developer. But the craftsmanship is SO BAD - not unlike Grove Plaza, same material, same poor installation. The cure to it would be to install the stones with a proper dry base, or simply install them wet (with cement on top of concrete slab).

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
LSP gets a pass-not only are the sidewalks not JC's responsibility, but the whole walkway was severely damaged during Sandy. Port Liberte just finally finished repairing the section they're responsible for, two years later.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I have never seen worse asphalt/sidewalk/flatwork done anywhere else than in Jersey City. Between the insanely terrible, peeling fake brick crosswalks, the cracked bluestone improperly installed at Grove Plaza, and the cracked/heaved/shifted stones all over Liberty Harbor's sidewalks ... I just don't get it. Why are contractors not installing such materials with best practices? Is the city hiring really cheap contractors?

Posted on: 2015/1/23 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I just don't understand why its Sooooooooo hard to shut down one single solitary block for a few hours to let the patch dry. There's another road a block or two away!

Posted on: 2015/1/23 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I have never seen worse asphalt/sidewalk/flatwork done anywhere else than in Jersey City. Between the insanely terrible, peeling fake brick crosswalks, the cracked bluestone improperly installed at Grove Plaza, and the cracked/heaved/shifted stones all over Liberty Harbor's sidewalks ... I just don't get it. Why are contractors not installing such materials with best practices? Is the city hiring really cheap contractors?

Whenever I'm on 16th St near the A&P I feel like I have taken my car off road and I am driving in a rocky field.

Posted on: 2015/1/23 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
LSP gets a pass-not only are the sidewalks not JC's responsibility, but the whole walkway was severely damaged during Sandy. Port Liberte just finally finished repairing the section they're responsible for, two years later.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/23 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/23 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
From NJ.com - Jersey City ordinance would require contractors to repave streets after utility work

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... tors_to.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/1/23 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen one long pothole, 20' or so, on a cold rainy day and surprisingly it didn't last the night. Splattered all over parked cars. They took another crack at it last Friday and about 3' of the front is already gone.

If you look around you'll see tons of cold patches that have failed. I bet most don't last two weeks. Complete waste of time and money imho

Posted on: 2015/1/22 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, Fulop was checking truck weights-once-to try and screw the Port Authority. Has he stopped that one-shot program? Time for some truck traffic trouble in JC!

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
What about all the crappy utility patches? ...

Think some of the recent problems like the big pothole on Pavonia is down to the laying of the bigger sewer lines. And zero enforcement of truck weight regulations doesn't help.

Posted on: 2015/1/22 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Are you suggesting all those 'prevailing wage' laws that are meant to make sure that construction firms use union personnel to make sure the work is done to code aren't working? I'm gobsmacked!

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Could it be that we have a contractor providing inferior products when it comes to pothole maintenance ... are they meeting the specified details of the contract ?

Is the Manager from cityhall doing the necessary checks and balances to ensure we are getting what we paid for ?

Has anyone from cityhall contacted other city's with high traffic issues to see how they fix or deal with the maintenance of their potholes ?

or

Is this just another red-herring to stir up some political debate ?

Posted on: 2015/1/22 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Not to hijack, but speaking of accountability: someone please tell me the contractor that put in all those crumbling fake brick crosswalks is getting his ass sued off and someday soon they'll be repaired...and not just be a constant reminder of how shitty execution destroys all grand ideas around here.

THIS. Those fake brick crosswalks are so tacky and annoying, and so poorly done. They look GREAT (and can fool most) for about 1 month. The other day, while talking to someone who innocently remarked on the crosswalk brickwork needing to be fixed, I pointed out it wasn't brick, and explained the whole thing, and they couldn't even understand the logic/idea of it all. Really bad idea and implementation.

Posted on: 2015/1/22 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
What about all the crappy utility patches? ...

Think some of the recent problems like the big pothole on Pavonia is down to the laying of the bigger sewer lines. And zero enforcement of truck weight regulations doesn't help.

Posted on: 2015/1/22 5:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
What about all the crappy utility patches? They cut up the street, usually within days of it being ground and repaved, put in a shitty patch that soon sinks or buckles, and never appear to be held accountable for it.

Not to hijack, but speaking of accountability: someone please tell me the contractor that put in all those crumbling fake brick crosswalks is getting his ass sued off and someday soon they'll be repaired...and not just be a constant reminder of how shitty execution destroys all grand ideas around here.

Posted on: 2015/1/22 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Could it be that we have a contractor providing inferior products when it comes to pothole maintenance ... are they meeting the specified details of the contract ?

Is the Manager from cityhall doing the necessary checks and balances to ensure we are getting what we paid for ?

Has anyone from cityhall contacted other city's with high traffic issues to see how they fix or deal with the maintenance of their potholes ?

or

I think DPW's Bldgs. & Streets fills the potholes.

Posted on: 2015/1/22 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

or

Posted on: 2015/1/21 23:44
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
I think Jersey City has the worst speed bumps. You can't see them on rainy days, they look unfinished, shaped in a abstract way, ugly, and not very functional. Other towns have realistic looking ones with warning stripes and proper bumps that can be seen from a far.

Focus heights. The issue is potholes not speed bumps. And what the heck is a realistic looking one.

My street hasn't been repaved in the area of 15 years. The problem is that the state only gives us so much money each year to redo streets. The worst of the worst streets get paved leaving the rest to deteriorate further. I thought we had a monster pothole killer that could do a winter hot patch, that would be at least a longer lasting bandaid than the cold patch, imo.

I just thought I'd sneak this one in kind of in the same realm (asphalt). Speed bumps look alike in every other town...except J.C.

Posted on: 2015/1/21 23:34
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I think Jersey City has the worst speed bumps. You can't see them on rainy days, they look unfinished, shaped in a abstract way, ugly, and not very functional. Other towns have realistic looking ones with warning stripes and proper bumps that can be seen from a far.

Focus heights. The issue is potholes not speed bumps. And what the heck is a realistic looking one.

My street hasn't been repaved in the area of 15 years. The problem is that the state only gives us so much money each year to redo streets. The worst of the worst streets get paved leaving the rest to deteriorate further. I thought we had a monster pothole killer that could do a winter hot patch, that would be at least a longer lasting bandaid than the cold patch, imo.

Posted on: 2015/1/21 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
There's never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over . . .

So, so true! My one complaint about the city with regards to development and new construction is that I feel the city should make it a standard part of any construction approval that the builder be responsible for repairing and improving more than just adjacent roads. Why? Because all those construction trucks HAVE TO NAVIGATE along roads that are not immediately adjacent to their destination. Logically, trucks don't just materialize on site. Currently, it seems like new buildings have perfectly good roads around it (if that) but the roads that lead there are the same bad quality as everywhere else. The cost of milling a road and then laying down a new surface can't possibly be so high as to deter new projects.

Posted on: 2015/1/21 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
It's a band-aid approach as is our sewer / water pipe repairs - With the state of the budget, it's the only way to deal with it - Fulop should look to starting a road and sewer maintenance fund to do a complete overhaul in the future.

Posted on: 2015/1/21 11:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/21 1:51
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There's never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over . . .

Posted on: 2015/1/20 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
I've seen the city filling a ton of potholes with "cold patches." I've also noticed that many fail due to cars pounding them all day long. I've also noticed that when they fail the cars parked closest get sprayed with asphalt.

That asphalt is very tough to get off your car and I've seen some cars that were really covered in the stuff if they were unlucky enough to be parked by a big cold patch.

Is there any better way to handle these potholes? Nobody wants to drive on lousy roads, but it's not fair for unsuspecting owners to have their cars covered in wet asphalt either...

This is the epitome of "penny wise, pound foolish". The city keeps repairing roads by patching roads, which end up looking terrible, and are not much of an improvement: instead of having potholes, we have bumps. The city should invest with en eye on long term results. Ripping out the roads and asphalt, and laying down a new surface, is a much better investment. They did a few roads last year, but much more was needed. Thankfully, this winter has been mild (so far) and we haven't seen damage of the scale as last year, but... the city should be smart about spending taxpayer dollars.

Posted on: 2015/1/20 15:09

Pothole Cold Patches and Parked Cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen the city filling a ton of potholes with "cold patches." I've also noticed that many fail due to cars pounding them all day long. I've also noticed that when they fail the cars parked closest get sprayed with asphalt.

That asphalt is very tough to get off your car and I've seen some cars that were really covered in the stuff if they were unlucky enough to be parked by a big cold patch.

Is there any better way to handle these potholes? Nobody wants to drive on lousy roads, but it's not fair for unsuspecting owners to have their cars covered in wet asphalt either...

Posted on: 2015/1/20 14:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017