Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
In any case, I agree with everyone who wants PA reform-it's bigger than many state budgets with limited oversight.

If you truly believe that, you should attack Christie for blocking this reform. Christie and Cuomo just rejected a bipartisan reform bill that was unanimously passed by the legislatures of both states

And yes, even huge Dems like Pebble have attacked Cuomo for this disgusting action. But you seem to be carrying Christie's water yet again. No need to point to the actions of past NJ governors, I'll agree they were corrupt. But I've yet to see you condemn Christie for his recent action in rejecting unanimously passed PA reform.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
And I could bring up the Dem Gov who let the Dem employee buy the name 'World Trade Center' for $10, which he then turned into a $100 million dollar a year business, or the Democratic supported union 'prevailing wage' scam which has made PA construction so incredibly expensive . . .

In any case, I agree with everyone who wants PA reform-it's bigger than many state budgets with limited oversight.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Not the drivers doing the subsidizing!

And Pebs, stay on topic. I understand that it's for the greater good to encourage mass transit and to subsidize it to a point. But when you get to a subsidy that's over a million dollars a day it gets to be a problem. I don't have the answer, but expecting the status quo to continue is na?ve.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I rarely take PATH, but the reality is they've been running at an operating loss of $500 million a year for at least the last three years. I guess the car commuters to NYC are propping up PATH with the usurious Hudson river crossing tolls.

But how much longer can that go on?

Who's at fault for their operating expenses being so high?

Maybe if Christie's buddy Samson wasn't handing out $1 rentals to organizations that were paying $1.5m, we wouldn't be talking about it. Maybe if Cuomo wasn't intent on using the Port Authority to build an overpriced monstrosity downtown, we wouldn't worry about it.

Instead, these two jackholes decided it was a great move to continue the tradition of putting their buddies in positions to rape the users. Only now it is worse because, as everyone before them, they took it to a new level of thuggery at a time when the money wasn't there for them to steal. So instead, they just put it in debt even more.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 20:17
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not the drivers doing the subsidizing!

And Pebs, stay on topic. I understand that it's for the greater good to encourage mass transit and to subsidize it to a point. But when you get to a subsidy that's over a million dollars a day it gets to be a problem. I don't have the answer, but expecting the status quo to continue is na?ve.

Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I rarely take PATH, but the reality is they've been running at an operating loss of $500 million a year for at least the last three years. I guess the car commuters to NYC are propping up PATH with the usurious Hudson river crossing tolls.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/8 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

I don't think you understand how mass transit works in conjunction with car travel.

The PATH isn't subsidized by cars. It is a two way street. Having the PATH means less cars on the road. This decreases the drivers travel time and gas expenditure, along with wear and tear on the car and road.

Take away mass transit and you place more drivers on an already overcrowded road. Before popping off about cash flows, you should actually learn about the topic...

Posted on: 2015/1/8 19:43
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/8 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

teddypath wrote:

So, let's see.. a 40 trip (one month) PATH Smart Link pass is $84. To drive in would cost $240 (tunnel) plus $600 = $860. For $776, I'll take the PATH, and it's (very) occasional hiccups.

I pay 229 for the ferry. IMO that is totally worth it compared to taking that crowded, smelly, cattle transport.

They took the ferry away over by Newport so it's not an option for me anymore. Given the cost compared to the PATH, I couldn't afford to ride it with any regularity anyway. But once in a while I did spoil myself, and boy was it worth it.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 19:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/11 7:11
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

teddypath wrote:

So, let's see.. a 40 trip (one month) PATH Smart Link pass is $84. To drive in would cost $240 (tunnel) plus $600 = $860. For $776, I'll take the PATH, and it's (very) occasional hiccups.

I pay 229 for the ferry. IMO that is totally worth it compared to taking that crowded, smelly, cattle transport.

Good for you. For seven minutes of my day on a train that doesn't smell it's still worth my $547.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teddypath wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/8 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teddypath wrote:
I have been taking the PATH to WTC each workday since 2001. I can count about four or five times (minus Sandy and 9/11) when the service was completely shut down. On very very cold frigid days, and extreme weather, anyone has to expect delays, especially on the line that starts at Newark - it's a given. However, I am rarely late to work due to a PATH problem. If drove myself in, I'd be paying $12 for the Holland Tunnel and at least $30 a day to park my car.

I agree with you that the PATH is a relative bargain. I have always been a booster/supporter of the PATH because it is remarkable to have an urban rail system that runs on schedule and does so fairly well. But, there is no denying that the almost daily signal problem issues (at least on the 33rd ST line) are an annoyance to many. And, these signal problems are definitely not isolated to days with bad weather.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I will say that, over the past year, I used PATH a lot less than normal because of work circumstances that required me to drive. But, on the occasions I had to rely on PATH, oh boy... it seems like EVERY SINGLE DAY, there are signal problems. If it was a sporadic thing, I can see putting up with that. But, at this point, it seems to be a daily occurrence. Just today, the 33rd ST line was experiencing signal problems (again) and the platform at Grove at 9:40 was getting VERY CROWDED. I hopped on a WTC train and took the subway from WTC. Not a big deal (to me) but I can see that being an issue for the ones that stayed behind, hoping that a 33rd St line train would show up soon. And, I would be willing to bet that only half the people at Grove were able to get on the next train given how crowded it was getting. For those waiting at Pavonia... tough cookies. Something needs to change, and I can't imagine that the signal upgrade will be enough. In my mind, only the 10-car train solution can begin to address the current capacity issues.

There was no next train. Right after you got on your train to WTC, all train service on the 33rd St line was suspended. Also, starting at 10:00 train service on the WTC line was delayed for 15 minutes because of "signal problems" so you are lucky you got on when you did.

Hey, thanks for this update. I assume you stayed behind at the station? I exchanged looks with a few folks while getting into the train and you could tell that most were making the same mental calculations: stay and risk it? Or, get on this train and take the subway?

Posted on: 2015/1/8 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:
Dear PATH -

I am going to send you a bill for the hours of my life you've wasted and the fares I have paid that have NOT resulted in getting me to my destination.

I estimate you owe me thousands.

And solely because of PATH, I cannot wait to move. >:o

Anyone that thinks MTA is as bad as PATH is on drugs.

I agree, was going to queens on sunday about a few weeks back figured i take the path to 33rd then hop on the E train.

It took me almost 1.5 hours to get from newport to 33rd. When i got to the station it was already packed, still waited 30 mins, there was literally no space left to stand on the station. Then the train finally came, the young kids started cheering..until they saw every car was already packed to the grill. Some tried to squeeze on, people were yelling no space. I ended up waiting 2 more trains before able to get on, only to get stuck at hoboken for another 15 mins while jammed inside. Once i got to 33rd street, E train to forest hills was a breeze, ran like clockwork.

But what's the alternative? drive? that's even worse and cost more $$. I am just so glad right now i can just walk to work in 5 mins in newport. But once my family outgrows the condo, not sure what to do at that point.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/01/0 ... rupts-path-train-service/

Broken rail - it will be hours before 33rd Street train running again.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teddypath wrote:
I can count about four or five times (minus Sandy and 9/11) when the service was completely shut down. On very very cold frigid days, and extreme weather, anyone has to expect delays, especially on the line that starts at Newark - it's a given. However, I am rarely late to work due to a PATH problem.

Agreed.

I can?t deny the reality that the approximately five-thousand trips I?ve taken on PATH have been remarkably free of delay or trouble. As far as I?ve been able to determine, the key is simply to avoid the hours when the bulk of Generation Y feels like commuting. It?s the only variable I can control, but it seems to make all the difference.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 16:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/11 7:11
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I have been taking the PATH to WTC each workday since 2001. I can count about four or five times (minus Sandy and 9/11) when the service was completely shut down. On very very cold frigid days, and extreme weather, anyone has to expect delays, especially on the line that starts at Newark - it's a given. However, I am rarely late to work due to a PATH problem. If drove myself in, I'd be paying $12 for the Holland Tunnel and at least $30 a day to park my car.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I will say that, over the past year, I used PATH a lot less than normal because of work circumstances that required me to drive. But, on the occasions I had to rely on PATH, oh boy... it seems like EVERY SINGLE DAY, there are signal problems. If it was a sporadic thing, I can see putting up with that. But, at this point, it seems to be a daily occurrence. Just today, the 33rd ST line was experiencing signal problems (again) and the platform at Grove at 9:40 was getting VERY CROWDED. I hopped on a WTC train and took the subway from WTC. Not a big deal (to me) but I can see that being an issue for the ones that stayed behind, hoping that a 33rd St line train would show up soon. And, I would be willing to bet that only half the people at Grove were able to get on the next train given how crowded it was getting. For those waiting at Pavonia... tough cookies. Something needs to change, and I can't imagine that the signal upgrade will be enough. In my mind, only the 10-car train solution can begin to address the current capacity issues.

There was no next train. Right after you got on your train to WTC, all train service on the 33rd St line was suspended. Also, starting at 10:00 train service on the WTC line was delayed for 15 minutes because of "signal problems" so you are lucky you got on when you did.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/8 15:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users
Dear PATH -

I am going to send you a bill for the hours of my life you've wasted and the fares I have paid that have NOT resulted in getting me to my destination.

I estimate you owe me thousands.

And solely because of PATH, I cannot wait to move. >:o

Anyone that thinks MTA is as bad as PATH is on drugs.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:
The sense of entitlement on this board is a joke. It's no secret the Port Authority sucks but that goes way deeper than PATH trains. I'm so sorry you have to ride a 10 min crowded train, cry me a river. Better yet, take a ferry, uber or drive. Otherwise get over it.

If the PATH and Jersey City are so doomed, do us all a favor and move. If any of you clowns think that the trains in Brooklyn or Queens are any better, then the joke is on you. Pick a day and try to ride the L, F,4,5,6,A,C,1 just to name a few. The L from Williamsburg is so packed it makes the PATH look empty. Same goes for the F train that also manages to break down every day. The A/C are so crowded and dirty, it makes our WTC line seem clean. Not to mention the A/C will be shut down for weekends for the next year for Sandy repairs. Sound familiar?

WTC line is back on weekends, and the ferry is continuing so the options to get into the city on weekends actually just improved. When the 33rd line gets shut down at some point next year on weekends, it will definitely be inconvenient. The silver lining is WTC hub will finally be open and we'll be able to connect indoors to just about every subway line via the Fulton Hub. So the temporary headache will really not be that big of a deal in the long run. The work needs to be done so deal with it or leave. Complaining on a little message board won't accomplish anything.

It's not perfect, sure, but it does work. Well said. I guess my only gripe is that between fares that have risen beyond anything reasonable, and the same for tolls into the city, it seems we cross Hudson commuters are paying for more than our fair share of a building that really only benefits NYC (if it really even benefits NYC?).

Posted on: 2014/12/16 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:
The sense of entitlement on this board is a joke. It's no secret the Port Authority sucks but that goes way deeper than PATH trains. I'm so sorry you have to ride a 10 min crowded train, cry me a river. Better yet, take a ferry, uber or drive. Otherwise get over it.

If the PATH and Jersey City are so doomed, do us all a favor and move. If any of you clowns think that the trains in Brooklyn or Queens are any better, then the joke is on you. Pick a day and try to ride the L, F,4,5,6,A,C,1 just to name a few. The L from Williamsburg is so packed it makes the PATH look empty. Same goes for the F train that also manages to break down every day. The A/C are so crowded and dirty, it makes our WTC line seem clean. Not to mention the A/C will be shut down for weekends for the next year for Sandy repairs. Sound familiar?

WTC line is back on weekends, and the ferry is continuing so the options to get into the city on weekends actually just improved. When the 33rd line gets shut down at some point next year on weekends, it will definitely be inconvenient. The silver lining is WTC hub will finally be open and we'll be able to connect indoors to just about every subway line via the Fulton Hub. So the temporary headache will really not be that big of a deal in the long run. The work needs to be done so deal with it or leave. Complaining on a little message board won't accomplish anything.

Supporting the PATH is like taking a bite of the most delicious bite of food you ever tasted and then finding dog crap in it....you are surprised and disgusted...

Posted on: 2014/12/16 2:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:

Well, it seems the Port Authority does monitor these boards.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 0:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/15 16:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I'll say it again, The PATH system is doomed.

I hate to say it, but PATH isn't doomed and they know it. People will still be living here and the population is just going to keep going up. It's cheaper to live here and the PA knows the trains will be full. They don't care if we're crammed in like sardines. I really doubt they ride the trains. I'm sure they've figured out what interval to run the train so even though it's packed, everyone gets on. They know there aren't many affordable alternatives.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I remember a certain someone on this forum stating "crowding will work itself out". That seems so incredibly hilarious in light of how awful the PATH system is to this day. I'll say it again, The PATH system is doomed.

Posted on: 2014/12/14 22:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As far as shutting down the 33rd street line, I don't see why they would have to do this. During the overnight, the trains run every 35 minutes. They only cross paths in Hoboken. So, that means they only need one tube to run the trains from Hoboken to 33. They can just go back and forth on the same track all night long leaving the other track open so they can do their work. They can work on it every single night seven days a week. Will they do this? Oh, hell no. They'd much rather inconvenience thousands of people instead.

Also, with the upgraded signals, that means they can run the trains more frequently. Will, they do this? Oh, hell no...again. I have been riding this system for 12 years and every time there is a new schedule, there has always been a reduction in service. Not once....NOT ONCE....has there been an increase in the frequency of service. At least 12 years PATH has been doing this. They just keep crammin' us in and raising the fares.

Also, the weekend JSQ to 33 train going through Hoboken was billed as a temporary thing while the 9/11 memorial was being built.

Posted on: 2014/12/14 9:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Signal.
Problems.
Every.
Damn.
Day.

Sardine can crowding every damn weekend. At least the problems affected Hoboken tonight so the trains were skipping the Hoboken Detour. That was a nice treat.

If PA's approach to installing PTC on the 33rd Street lines is anything like its approach to the WTC line, it will probably be time to leave JC. I just can't hang with this mess.

Posted on: 2014/12/14 4:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
No service in or out of Hoboken, but of course, no word on what to expect between JSQ and NYC.

Posted on: 2014/12/14 0:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My favorite is the "Car Equipment Problem". These trains are just a couple of years old. Are they falling apart already? #PATHetic

Posted on: 2014/12/11 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I've been wondering that for weeks now

Posted on: 2014/12/10 22:06

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login