Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Is 'Gentrification' good for Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
All you have to do is look up a city and check the percentage of their school budget supported by local taxes vs state funding (ie, from the teat of the suburban townships).

Hey, I'd be squealing like a pig too if someone tried to take away my sweetheart deal.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/guide/2013/

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I was responding to the post above mine, and I responded with a true explanation. And frankly, I wouldn't mind paying the money if it resulted in better results than the dismal graduation rate, while spending about 25% more per student than the state average.

Quit dodging my point, which is that neighborhoods in Westchester, CT and LI pay similar tax rates to comparable suburban NJ. There is no exceptional situation in NJ due to the Abbott decision. Everywhere you go there are poorer ares that need support. You, Rand Paul and Boris may be the last of the Libertarian true believers, but our "liberal" society believes in a moderate amount of sharing the wealth. Get over it. You'd get more sympathy if you whined as loudly about the waste in corporate welfare, Wall Street kleptocracy and crony capitalism.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
1. Not the kids I know, they're going all over the world.

2. Really? The HS I went to my dad went to. It was established in the early 1900's-they were trying to avoid desegregation then??

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
As for the silly comments above, suburban kids may not be able to afford to live in their hometown because of taxes. Taxes that are sky high because cities like JC and Newark, together, suck $1.6 billion EACH YEAR from the suburban taxpayers, who then have to pay sky high local muni taxes to make up.

1. Most of the suburban kids are moving back to the city, which is why suburban property values still haven't recovered from the crash while cities are unaffordable.

2. Most of the suburban districts have been created and resist regionalization because white people want to avoid integrated classrooms. When suburban districts regionalize and the state has 50 districts instead of 500, taxes will go down. Until then, you can keep paying for your segregated school system.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I was responding to the post above mine, and I responded with a true explanation. And frankly, I wouldn't mind paying the money if it resulted in better results than the dismal graduation rate, while spending about 25% more per student than the state average.

Quit dodging my point, which is that neighborhoods in Westchester, CT and LI pay similar tax rates to comparable suburban NJ. There is no exceptional situation in NJ due to the Abbott decision. Everywhere you go there are poorer ares that need support. You, Rand Paul and Boris may be the last of the Libertarian true believers, but our "liberal" society believes in a moderate amount of sharing the wealth. Get over it. You'd get more sympathy if you whined as loudly about the waste in corporate welfare, Wall Street kleptocracy and crony capitalism.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Rents go up because of demand, not because of how rich the people moving in are.

Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Except there is always an artist who can pay $23k. And an artist who can pay $24k. And an artist who can pay $45k. And an artist who can pay $80k. And an artist who can pay $200k.

Do you seriously not see you are contradicting yourself?

Conformist has a very smooth brain.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Rents go up because of demand, not because of how rich the people moving in are.

Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Except there is always an artist who can pay $23k. And an artist who can pay $24k. And an artist who can pay $45k. And an artist who can pay $80k. And an artist who can pay $200k.

Do you seriously not see you are contradicting yourself?

Posted on: 2015/1/8 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Let's also not forget that in the tri-state area, we love handing over our hard earned money to public employees in the form of uber-generous pensions. In fact, it's increasingly where our monies will go, at the expense of school funding, transportation, etc.

NJ in particular has more local govt than it can throw a book at.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
As for the silly comments above, suburban kids may not be able to afford to live in their hometown because of taxes. Taxes that are sky high because cities like JC and Newark, together, suck $1.6 billion EACH YEAR from the suburban taxpayers, who then have to pay sky high local muni taxes to make up.

1. Most of the suburban kids are moving back to the city, which is why suburban property values still haven't recovered from the crash while cities are unaffordable.

2. Most of the suburban districts have been created and resist regionalization because white people want to avoid integrated classrooms. When suburban districts regionalize and the state has 50 districts instead of 500, taxes will go down. Until then, you can keep paying for your segregated school system.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/8 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:

Rents go up because of demand, not because of how rich the people moving in are. If enough artists want to live in an area, prices go up, and only the artists who can afford it will live there--possibly with aid from family or income from bartending or by sharing apartments or rooms.

Upward price adjustments are limited by the incomes of the people who are demanding it.

It doesn't matter how many people want an apartment if each individual has a maximum buying power of $22,000. An apartment won't rent for more than that. The only reason it does is because someone comes along with more money.

That is, if there is 1 apartment and 10 Artist Abbys each with $22,000 a year, it doesn't matter that there are 10 people willing to pay $22,000, it won't rent for more than that maximum price provided that is the maximum they can pay. The apartment only rents for more than when Lawyer Laura comes along and offers $155,000 for it.

The real conflict then isn't Blue-Collar Bill and Middle-Class Mike, each earning $50,000 are in conflict with Artist Abby. Its that Lawyer Laura comes along and fucks all of them.

Except there is always an artist who can pay $23k. And an artist who can pay $24k. And an artist who can pay $45k. And an artist who can pay $80k. And an artist who can pay $200k. You also have some artists who can only pay $22k who are willing to share an apartment, or a room, or even bunk beds, and there are always artists with family willing and able to chip in $200/month for rent, or $1k/month, or $5k/month. And many artists are married or otherwise romantically paired, frequently to non-artists. In the fantasy world where every artist is impoverished and only artists are interested in Jersey City, sure, this works. But it's not the real world.

You're acting like there's no one between Laura and Abby. But that space is filled with people.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/8 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Get off your bullshit "cities go drop dead" tax soapbox, this is not unique to Abbott NJ, nor are homes $500k and up affordable to today's 20 somethings whatever the taxes, especially those with stupendous student loans. I just took a rental app from a kid in the public sector with $130k in student loans. He's not buying a house soon, if ever. But he is able to rent in a gentrifying neighborhood, one more "overeducated hipster". Think on those dominoes...

Posted on: 2015/1/8 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Quote:
As a lifelong resident 99% of friends that I grew up with moved out as soon as they either married or started a family. Years ago you moved to a different section now they move out altogether.

Things are changing though, Heights. Many younger households now have two full-time working parents, which creates different types of difficulties in raising children - most importantly, time management. A huge draw for those families where both parents work in NYC is the great commute JC offers. That is why my family lives here, plain and simple. If we moved to the burbs, my spouse and I would barely see our kids, but for weekends. That extra hour commute (with two working parents - one can't pick up the slack for the other on the household front), is simply killer.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/7 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Never mind all this navel gazing nonsense, what downtown bar is it that is closing?

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/1/7 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Upward price adjustments are limited by the incomes of the people who are demanding it.

It doesn't matter how many people want an apartment if each individual has a maximum buying power of $22,000. An apartment won't rent for more than that. The only reason it does is because someone comes along with more money.

That is, if there is 1 apartment and 10 Artist Abbys each with $22,000 a year, it doesn't matter that there are 10 people willing to pay $22,000, it won't rent for more than that maximum price provided that is the maximum they can pay. The apartment only rents for more than when Lawyer Laura comes along and offers $155,000 for it.

The real conflict then isn't Blue-Collar Bill and Middle-Class Mike, each earning $50,000 are in conflict with Artist Abby. Its that Lawyer Laura comes along and fucks all of them.

Great analysis till the last phrase. Laura comes along because she can outbid those with lesser means. So what? It doesn't make her evil (but she IS a lawyer which makes her suspect). I hate to make Boris happy, but you've got to take the good of capitalism with the unpleasant. Being priced out is undoubtedly unpleasant, but it doesn't make the new residents evil. If you go around hating everyone who has something you don't, life can be rough. I don't believe I'm evil, but I think the spanish guy renting across the street does, he's been hostile for 17 years. Apparently solely because I bought the place from other spanish folks, who were no longer up to maintaining a multifamily, for 10x what they had paid decades earlier.

As for rich white assholes, YMMV. I have wealthy relatives who are uber liberals who spend a lot of time & cash on others less fortunate, and relatives who are completely self involved assholes who spend fortunes maintaining a despicably consumptive lifestyle. Guess who they each voted for.

There's also an interesting corollary displacement phenomenon to gentrification going on in the burbs: children of the middle class who find there's no way they can possibly live in the town they grew up in. Housing that was within financial reach of their parents in their late 20's is far beyond theirs. And these same communities are hostile to any multifamily development than could provide affordable housing for their kids. They're afraid it might bring in the "wrong people". Are Mommy and Daddy evil?

Posted on: 2015/1/7 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
I disagree, Monroe. Most people I know that moved to the burbs from JC and Hoboken were people that just couldn't afford to live here with kids. There is no dispute that the living is cheaper in the burbs, particularly when you factor in kids. Daycare alone is double the cost in downtown JC as it is in Montclair, for example.

I also disagree that those buying expensive properties have no complaints regarding path service cuts. Many work and socialize in nyc and do, in fact, utilize the path.

As a lifelong resident 99% of friends that I grew up with moved out as soon as they either married or started a family. Years ago you moved to a different section now they move out altogether.

Posted on: 2015/1/7 23:09
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a poor white person and I'm still an asshole...so there goes your racist argument. I guess this means all white people are assholes (and proud of it)

Posted on: 2015/1/7 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

What about Trust Fund artist Tony? How does he fit in?

Posted on: 2015/1/7 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:

Rents go up because of demand, not because of how rich the people moving in are. If enough artists want to live in an area, prices go up, and only the artists who can afford it will live there--possibly with aid from family or income from bartending or by sharing apartments or rooms.

Posted on: 2015/1/7 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
If you want to know what's driving the rapid increase in price per square foot, its going to be the bankers, lawyers, and other professional service members with six figure salaries. Its not the graduate students or writers and artists who work part time as waiters and bartenders and tattoo artists, even if they are getting a few dollars from their parents in the midwest.

Consider for a moment what you are actually talking about here.

Lets say Artist Abby works 20 hours a week at some menial service job like sales clerk, leaving plenty of time to pursue her art and music career. Very generously, her parents cut her a check for a $1,000 a month, which is a lot but its expensive to live in the big city and Artist Abby is going to be a brilliant artist one day. Art Abby is living on a solid $22,400 a year (that's $10,400 working an $12,000 from her parents).

Now lets say Lawyer Laura just landed a first year associate job at one of the big law firms. Times are tough, and base salaries haven't increased since 2007, so she only starts at a measly $160,000. She's also going to make $20,000 in student loan payments this year, so right off the top she's down to $140,000. Oh, wait, bonuses for the class of 2013 were $15,000, so Lawyer Laura earned $155,000 this year.

So who is renting the luxury high rise for $3,000 a month and who is sharing an apartment with that weird English grad student who walks her cat around the park?

Posted on: 2015/1/7 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
If you want to know what's driving the rapid increase in price per square foot, its going to be the bankers, lawyers, and other professional service members with six figure salaries. Its not the graduate students or writers and artists who work part time as waiters and bartenders and tattoo artists, even if they are getting a few dollars from their parents in the midwest.

Consider for a moment what you are actually talking about here.

Lets say Artist Abby works 20 hours a week at some menial service job like sales clerk, leaving plenty of time to pursue her art and music career. Very generously, her parents cut her a check for a $1,000 a month, which is a lot but its expensive to live in the big city and Artist Abby is going to be a brilliant artist one day. Art Abby is living on a solid $22,400 a year (that's $10,400 working an $12,000 from her parents).

Now lets say Lawyer Laura just landed a first year associate job at one of the big law firms. Times are tough, and base salaries haven't increased since 2007, so she only starts at a measly $160,000. She's also going to make $20,000 in student loan payments this year, so right off the top she's down to $140,000. Oh, wait, bonuses for the class of 2013 were $15,000, so Lawyer Laura earned $155,000 this year.

So who is renting the luxury high rise for $3,000 a month and who is sharing an apartment with that weird English grad student who walks her cat around the park?

Posted on: 2015/1/7 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed! We haven't lived downtown in over a decade, but boy o boy, I sure do wish there were all the cool restaurants and bars there back then that are there now!

EDIT: this was a reply to Zareski who said:
FYI y'all who think JC is changing for the worse...there was NEVER a scene in JC in the past anyway. I've been here 20 years and "scene" is not a word that represents anything JC has stood for. I welcome this development, gentrification, hipster hangouts, yuppie money sucking businesses and anything else you want to build in JC. The JC of 2015 is waaaay better than the JC of the past. If you want the JC of the past, then stop complaining and move to East NY or Bushwick or someplace else that is in a time warp. Gentrification sucks for those wanting low rents in prime areas and I get that, but progress should not be impeded because of people that cherish "the good old days!"

Posted on: 2015/1/7 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Oy vey! this is why i stopped coming here for a while... the fighting and name calling!

my original point regarding this young lady was that she did not think she was ever a "gentrifier" but freely used the word to describe other people coming to town, at the same time, to the same area, but just those that were not like her. She "loves" the Powerhouse Arts District but had no idea of the thriving music and art community that was there (not long ago), that was pushed out for lux condos and high rises.

As for myself - i hate the word gentrification as a negative process. It's change. Places change, people change. I could not care less overall, as long as I can try and afford to live where I want to live (which is right here in jersey city!).

Posted on: 2015/1/7 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Must not feed the troll

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I suggest you follow your own advice. Ianmac clearly stated that gentrification has numerous negative effects. He also demonized millions of people, saying that "most rich white people tend to be assholes."

If you can't understand the subtext behind his post that I responded to, I suggest taking lessons in reading comprehension. Especially given your spiel about why it isn't useful to get angry at gentrification.

Again, to be clear, I stated rich white people often are assholes and clarified this as independent of gentrification. This has nothing to do with whether or not they are gentrifying a place, or moving to the suburbs, or living in a van down the river. To be rich and white is hold the most powerful position in society, and with that power comes corruption -- corruption of the soul, corruption of morality, corruption of humanity.

Posted on: 2015/1/7 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I suggest you follow your own advice. Ianmac clearly stated that gentrification has numerous negative effects. He also demonized millions of people, saying that "most rich white people tend to be assholes."

If you can't understand the subtext behind his post that I responded to, I suggest taking lessons in reading comprehension. Especially given your spiel about why it isn't useful to get angry at gentrification.

Again, to be clear, I stated rich white people often are assholes and clarified this as independent of gentrification. This has nothing to do with whether or not they are gentrifying a place, or moving to the suburbs, or living in a van down the river. To be rich and white is hold the most powerful position in society, and with that power comes corruption -- corruption of the soul, corruption of morality, corruption of humanity.

Posted on: 2015/1/7 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
So far all we have is opinions, no real facts. I just picked this up, its a great read with facts.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/1/7 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I'm still not understanding whatever point is attempting to be made here. The only reason she is unlikely to drive up prices is because she is being subsidized by her parents and likely doesn't have carte blanche to do what she wants. Is the point supposed to be that it is more desirable for such people to move into a neighborhood than financially independent professionals?

The only reason she's living where she is is due to privilege, coming from a nice upbringing and having parents who can afford to pay her rent. With privilege generally comes entitlement. Id rather live next to the independent professional.

I guess my point is that its no more rational to be angry at the trust funder artist than to be angry at the wall streeters who follow. Being angry at the gentrification cycle is about as useful as being mad at the ocean for washing away the ephemeral barrier beach sandbar where you foolishly built your summer house. Change is part of life, wishing for no change makes you either a conservative or Yvonne.

I agree with this but I never said any of the things you claim. I responded to a poster who implied there was a problem with the wall streeters.

So I'm still not sure what you meant by "not surprisingly, you're missing the point." Perhaps you should have directed your comment at him.

Read the thread. The rising prices were attributed by IanMac to professionals, without describing it as a problem. You assumed he was angry at them, then demonized the artist living off her folks as a "leech".

Posted on: 2015/1/7 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I'm still not understanding whatever point is attempting to be made here. The only reason she is unlikely to drive up prices is because she is being subsidized by her parents and likely doesn't have carte blanche to do what she wants. Is the point supposed to be that it is more desirable for such people to move into a neighborhood than financially independent professionals?

The only reason she's living where she is is due to privilege, coming from a nice upbringing and having parents who can afford to pay her rent. With privilege generally comes entitlement. Id rather live next to the independent professional.

I guess my point is that its no more rational to be angry at the trust funder artist than to be angry at the wall streeters who follow. Being angry at the gentrification cycle is about as useful as being mad at the ocean for washing away the ephemeral barrier beach sandbar where you foolishly built your summer house. Change is part of life, wishing for no change makes you either a conservative or Yvonne.

I agree with this but I never said any of the things you claim. I responded to a poster who implied there was a problem with the wall streeters.

So I'm still not sure what you meant by "not surprisingly, you're missing the point." Perhaps you should have directed your comment at him.

Read the thread. The rising prices were attributed by IanMac to professionals, without describing it as a problem. You assumed he was angry at them, then demonized the artist living off her folks as a "leech".

Posted on: 2015/1/7 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/7 17:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/19 13:13
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
FYI y'all who think JC is changing for the worse...there was NEVER a scene in JC in the past anyway. I've been here 20 years and "scene" is not a word that represents anything JC has stood for. I welcome this development, gentrification, hipster hangouts, yuppie money sucking businesses and anything else you want to build in JC. The JC of 2015 is waaaay better than the JC of the past. If you want the JC of the past, then stop complaining and move to East NY or Bushwick or someplace else that is in a time warp. Gentrification sucks for those wanting low rents in prime areas and I get that, but progress should not be impeded because of people that cherish "the good old days!"

Posted on: 2015/1/7 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/1/7 17:50

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017