Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Is 'Gentrification' good for Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Gentrification via the Arts and Gay Community - Yer Right!

But they do get involved in the community and provide support!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnx1A6T743I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-sADxMaWds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnk6_cHa_fc

Posted on: 2015/1/4 3:46
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Unions are way too powerful (particularly in our region) and I don't see how you draw a link between unions and gentrification and middle class. From where I stand, I see unions as nothing more than power hungry organizations, led by wolves in sheep's clothing that claim to be looking out for their members but are drawing exorbitant salaries and/or perks and are nothing short of extortionists.

I assume you must be joking. Unions are growing weaker every year. Membership has been reduced from 30% of the workforce in the 1960s to 12% today. Limitations on soft money contributions to political parties have substantially weakened labor unions' political influence while simultaneously strengthening donations from the very wealthy. Today almost half -- 24 states -- have right to work laws that circumvent national protections for organized labor. All of this is primarily relevant because correlating with the declining role of labor unions has been the declining percentage of the percent of GDP held by the middle-class, parallels the decline in real wages, and the growing wealth disparity, and a strong middle-class would have more power to withstand the assault of rising costs that comes with gentrification.

Finally, if you aren't joking about the power of labor unions, if you truly, honestly believe they are dangerous and power cabal of working people meant to steal your money, that is yet another symptom of the decline of labor unions' power: an unsophisticated electorate so critically simplistic that it accepts conservative propaganda from spokespeople paid to feed them talking points.

Posted on: 2015/1/4 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Artists, Hipsters and the Gay community have nothing to do with gentrification - Stupidest thing I've heard this year.

For the world premiere of HBO?s Looking, the new show about the lives of three gay men in the Bay Area, the cable network turned to one of the epicenters of gay culture in perhaps the most gay-friendly city in the country: the Castro Theatre, right in the center of one of the most thriving ?gayborhoods? in the world. Chicago has Boystown, D.C. has Dupont Circle, Seattle has Capitol Hill, and the list goes on.

Economists have long speculated about the effects of gayborhoods on everything from diversity to gentrification to housing prices. One common theme of this analysis is that neighborhoods with a higher than average density of gay residents are by definition more diverse and open-minded, with a wider range of racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups as well. Another common argument is that gays often pioneer the revitalization of disadvantaged, crime-filled urban neighborhoods ? and their presence can be seen as an early marker of gentrification and a precursor to a jump in housing prices.

But before they can credibly sort out these complicated interactions, researchers have faced a far more basic dilemma: it?s always been difficult to nail down exactly how different the concentrations of gay and lesbian residents in these "gayborhoods" really are.

There?s no box on the Census to mark sexual orientation, nor any other official marker to study the population of the LGBT community (though a ?Queer the Census? campaign has advocated for the Census to add one). Researchers have instead been forced to use a wide range of proxies, from mailing lists to gay bars to votes for noted gay activist candidates.

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2014/0 ... -gayborhoods-matter/8368/

The classic case of artist-led gentrification is SoHo. In the ?60s, shortly after the term gentrification was coined by British sociologist Ruth Glass, experimental art guru George Maciunus took a lead in converting the deindustrializing neighborhood?s large spaces, which had been a hub of light manufacturing for a largely Puerto Rican and African-American workforce, into artist cooperatives and live-work spaces, touching off its ultimate conversion into the gleaming nexus of air-brushed boutiques and tony restaurants that it is today. City leaders were so impressed that they wanted to do it again, and ever since the magical power of art to make over cities has been a key talking point.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/cu ... chelsea_and_bushwick.html

It is all speculation when its relates to gentrification and I have no doubt everything else written by this reporter is correct (to a certain extent and could be bias) ie; diverse, open-minded etc.

However its cheap rezoned industrial areas that developers want that have an established infrastructure. I make it a point to contact the planning departments within the tri-state area monthly for such rezoning changes.
Its no wonder the arts community always complain now that their cheap warehouse rentals are being targeted by developers for high rise high density housing. The 'so called' gay-borhood of JC will only flourish if they can attract wealthy gay brothers into their neighborhood - It still boils down to profits and the color of money not one's sexuality or artist flare!

Posted on: 2015/1/4 2:13
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Artists, Hipsters and the Gay community have nothing to do with gentrification - Stupidest thing I've heard this year.

For the world premiere of HBO?s Looking, the new show about the lives of three gay men in the Bay Area, the cable network turned to one of the epicenters of gay culture in perhaps the most gay-friendly city in the country: the Castro Theatre, right in the center of one of the most thriving ?gayborhoods? in the world. Chicago has Boystown, D.C. has Dupont Circle, Seattle has Capitol Hill, and the list goes on.

Economists have long speculated about the effects of gayborhoods on everything from diversity to gentrification to housing prices. One common theme of this analysis is that neighborhoods with a higher than average density of gay residents are by definition more diverse and open-minded, with a wider range of racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups as well. Another common argument is that gays often pioneer the revitalization of disadvantaged, crime-filled urban neighborhoods ? and their presence can be seen as an early marker of gentrification and a precursor to a jump in housing prices.

But before they can credibly sort out these complicated interactions, researchers have faced a far more basic dilemma: it?s always been difficult to nail down exactly how different the concentrations of gay and lesbian residents in these "gayborhoods" really are.

There?s no box on the Census to mark sexual orientation, nor any other official marker to study the population of the LGBT community (though a ?Queer the Census? campaign has advocated for the Census to add one). Researchers have instead been forced to use a wide range of proxies, from mailing lists to gay bars to votes for noted gay activist candidates.

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2014/0 ... -gayborhoods-matter/8368/

The classic case of artist-led gentrification is SoHo. In the ?60s, shortly after the term gentrification was coined by British sociologist Ruth Glass, experimental art guru George Maciunus took a lead in converting the deindustrializing neighborhood?s large spaces, which had been a hub of light manufacturing for a largely Puerto Rican and African-American workforce, into artist cooperatives and live-work spaces, touching off its ultimate conversion into the gleaming nexus of air-brushed boutiques and tony restaurants that it is today. City leaders were so impressed that they wanted to do it again, and ever since the magical power of art to make over cities has been a key talking point.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/cu ... chelsea_and_bushwick.html

Posted on: 2015/1/4 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Developers don't give a rats' ass if your one of the above social groups. All they care about it the color of your money.

Maybe a realtor could create a building size rainbow banner and hang it to attract 'gay' buyers if people think they have an impact ... this could be a job for mythbusters to burst this urban bubble myth!

If anything I'd stick my neck out and suggest that the gay-borhoods would appose gentrification, as they (as it appears) would be seeking cheaper neighborhoods that lack high density, high rise refurbishment with high prices. I'd also suggest that gay-borhoods would less likely (not always) not require schooling and childcare districts or other services associated with kids; thus their migration to more 'industrial' neighborhoods ... the same that developers seek out when planning zones change.

I bought a huge factory in an industrial area and converted it into a home once the green light was given for the area to be rezoned; Could I now suggest that fat-ass hetro males have a direct impact on gentrification ... obviously no, but would I like to be over-run by high density, highrise housing ... obviously no as well. Note; There are heaps of developers, builders and others that target their next investment with the announcement of changed zoning and planning laws which is often centered around industrial areas.

Posted on: 2015/1/4 1:10

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2015/1/4 1:30:08
Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2015/1/4 1:31:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCAI wrote:
Did I enter the twilight zone? Gay people have an impact on gentrification?

For sure. I remember way back in the day when the shitty El Negro bar shut down. The space was gutted and nicely renovated and became the Star Bar (now it's the Pint bar). When they hoisted the rainbow flag, those of us living on Wayne Street rejoiced. It was a sure sign that a street with a bad rep had turned the corner. In fact, one of my neighbors was practically dancing a jig and singing "the gays are coming, our property values are REALLY gonna go up now!" I would say the arrival of gays is a far more reliable leading indicator of a neighborhood's gentrification than the presence of artists. As User1111 has mentioned, gays really fix up their homes - not just repair them but make them worthy of Martha Stewart - and they have a lot of disposable income (something artists tend not to have).

Posted on: 2015/1/3 23:04

Edited by JadedJC on 2015/1/3 23:23:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/17 16:14
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Did I enter the twilight zone? Gay people have an impact on gentrification?

It's a weird stereotype that the arts are closely tied with homosexuals. Um, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

Back in the very old days, being an artist was considered a very masculine profession. Being an intellectual was masculine gentleman-ness.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 20:38

Edited by JCAI on 2015/1/3 21:07:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
...unions are undermined in their political power...

Quote:

ianmac47 also wrote:
The best way to fight the negative effects of gentrification is through building a strong middle-class that has the economic power to resist gentrification and the political power to defend themselves. That means stronger unions, higher corporate taxes, and better public services.

Your post was well reasoned and you had me until you said the above. Unions are way too powerful (particularly in our region) and I don't see how you draw a link between unions and gentrification and middle class. From where I stand, I see unions as nothing more than power hungry organizations, led by wolves in sheep's clothing that claim to be looking out for their members but are drawing exorbitant salaries and/or perks and are nothing short of extortionists.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
As a gay man, we just have more disposable income. My small apt dtjc was done up like a palace while my neighbors with kids place looked like shit. I find that the case here in Greenville I can spot who's gay and who's not by the style and condition of the house.

We don't have kids and we spend most of our income on our homes and lavish vacations. Not sure if any of you have been on MLK( towards the end, not by the hub) recently but most of the stores fronts and spaces above them are being used by local artist for a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

My brother thinks I am crazy, for living here, but he is straight and lives in Hoboken.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The reason certain types of people -- artists, writers, LGBT, students, academics, young people -- have traditionally been signifiers of gentrification is that these are groups that are marginalized by mainstream culture and seek out compromised spaces because they tend to be cheaper. These groups tend to invest in a community because the initial costs are low either for living expenses or costs for launching businesses. What has happened over the last two decades is that these spaces have become more interesting to mainstreamers who then want to live among the artists, writers, gays, ect, because the culture created by these people is far more interesting and different than the corporate brands that mainstreamers are usually surrounded by.

When the yuppies capitalize these once compromised spaces big corporations see the opportunity to monetize the neighborhood whitewashing those neighborhoods with the same kind of brands that every other neighborhood has. Of course, by that point, the people who have actually made a neighborhood interesting and desirable in the first place have moved out.

This is why places like Bedford Avenue, once the center of counter-culture twenty years ago now has a Duane Reade, Urban Outfitters, J Crew, and coming soon, Whole Foods and an Apple Store. But its also why all of the venues that embodied culture -- music venues, art galleries, independent cafes have closed within the last year and either are moving east or disappearing altogether. This has happened in the West Village, in Soho, Chelsea, Tribeca, Powerhouse Arts District, Grove Street and soon enough Journal Square.

That narrative of course fails to address the class issue -- that there tends to be poor people already living in places when the artists or the gays or whatever other marginalized population shows up looking for low cost housing. Its particularly problematic too that these poorer populations tend to be people of color, and the transplants tend to be white, and that the language of colonization is used -- urban pioneer, frontier, ect. There are of course examples where there wasn't an existing population. DTJC is actually one example, since most of the waterfront was empty abandoned industrial, and the same with the Williamsburg waterfront. However in places like the village, the lower east side, Bushwick, Crown Heights, Lefferts -- there are existing populations of people who are being displaced.

But to blame the artists, academics, students and whoever else is the first wave of gentrification is to fail to address the overall class problem that exists in the metropolitan area and the country as a whole. The wealthy are growing wealthier and the poor at best remain the same. Thats not just gentrification at work, but systemic failure with our economic system where corporate lobbyists are allowed to write legislation, unions are undermined in their political power, and overall conservative politics that favors the concentration of wealth among the already wealthy and predominantly white elite.

The best way to fight the negative effects of gentrification is through building a strong middle-class that has the economic power to resist gentrification and the political power to defend themselves. That means stronger unions, higher corporate taxes, and better public services.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 17:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/10 23:57
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I always thought that the artists, creatives, and gay community was just a shortened, simplified explanation for what causes gentrification. For myself, I never thought these groups were the causes, but rather these groups might be amongst the first to "re-enter" an area and bring attention to it. Artists need a large space to work (and cheap.) While gays are more mobile and don't necessarily have safety and school concerns that heteros (with children) would have. At least, this was one theory that was explained to me a decade or so ago. It feels like the landscape has changed now that developers are more active in seeking out that new "hip" area to build. It feels and looks less organic these days.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Catching up here, I'm generally impressed with the thoughtfulness of the comments. But I must say no progress has been made to define terms, like "good" and even "Jersey City". From my POV it's good for the structures, many of these old buildings were destined to be razed as their worth 30 years ago was far less than the cost to rehab them.

That said, on the gentrifiers, I don't believe artists are the majority of gentrifiers, just the ones that make the most visible evidence of it. We arrived in 97, an artist refugee from TriBeCa and social worker. But my art is not the kind for galleries, and her work is with the "indiginous" population. I believe we've contributed to gentrification by renovating units and renting to young educated tenants, as well as sending our kids to public school. But we've not opened galleries or other cool businesses or hung out in trendy bars and restaurants like creatives are known for.

I also think that the gay component is overstated, it's just that gays are overepresented in creatives, and also overrepresented in the highly visible contingent of creatives.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
A common assumption is that gentrification begins when artists OR gays move into a neighborhood. I have never seen anything about gay artists being the initiators of gentrification.

I disagree, My gay buddies are being priced out of Chelsea and moving uptown to Hell's Kitchen and the gentrification is now in full effect up there, When I lived in Hell's Kitchen early 90's no one wanted to go up there... When I lived DTJC there were more gays and less mommies with strollers. Chelsea is becoming Wall street guys and mommies with enormous strollers and less gays. Gays and artist take more risk with real estate, heterosexuals usually don't.

Thank you User for politely presenting an alternative POV.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
A common assumption is that gentrification begins when artists OR gays move into a neighborhood. I have never seen anything about gay artists being the initiators of gentrification.

I disagree, My gay buddies are being priced out of Chelsea and moving uptown to Hell's Kitchen and the gentrification is now in full effect up there, When I lived in Hell's Kitchen early 90's no one wanted to go up there... When I lived DTJC there were more gays and less mommies with strollers. Chelsea is becoming Wall street guys and mommies with enormous strollers and less gays. Gays and artist take more risk with real estate, heterosexuals usually don't.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCAI wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
I don't believe that the art scene (or the gay scene, another facile explanation)

Private schooling is no longer the bastion of the elite, where one met "your kind"

You sure do have a lot of stereotypes about artists. An art scene doesn't need to be 'gay' you know.

Yeah, you're not going to meet 'my kind' in an educational setting. That's for sure. Trust me, the lack of respect is mutual.

1. A common assumption is that gentrification begins when artists OR gays move into a neighborhood. I have never seen anything about gay artists being the initiators of gentrification.

2. Private schools are no longer just for the elite or for parents seeking a non-secular education for their children. Parents moving to JC, in my opinion, need to factor in the possible cost of sending their kids to private school, if their local public school doesn't meet their needs or expectations.

3. http://www.amazon.com/Hodges-Harbrace ... harbrace+college+handbook

Posted on: 2015/1/3 14:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
maybe the people being displaced from dtjc should explore the Heights, JSQ or Union City.

heck, i have an underemployed friend who is toying with the idea of moving to detroit. she says she wants to buy a place, retire and paint.

I live in The Heights because I can't afford to live in Downtown. I may be successful as an artist, but I'm still starving.

Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
I don't believe that the art scene (or the gay scene, another facile explanation)

Private schooling is no longer the bastion of the elite, where one met "your kind"

You sure do have a lot of stereotypes about artists. An art scene doesn't need to be 'gay' you know.

Yeah, you're not going to meet 'my kind' in an educational setting. That's for sure. Trust me, the lack of respect is mutual.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
maybe the people being displaced from dtjc should explore the Heights, JSQ or Union City.

heck, i have an underemployed friend who is toying with the idea of moving to detroit. she says she wants to buy a place, retire and paint.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Gentrification is only great when every socioeconomic group is being catered for - modernization of poor neighborhoods is always welcome if the displaced can return without being economically squeezed out never to return ... noting being poor doesn't equate to being a criminal
spoken like marx and engels..not even lenin believed that

I don't believe or want to be complicit with the discrimination of the social classes that only benefits one socioeconomic group over another... even the working poor pay taxes, as have the retired but are often treated like third class citizens in the work place and within society - I hope you retire extremely wealthy, without illness, don't become unemployed before your time and are able to raise a family hero69, otherwise you'll end up in the ass-end of town or gentrified out of town!

Posted on: 2015/1/2 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Gentrification is only great when every socioeconomic group is being catered for - modernization of poor neighborhoods is always welcome if the displaced can return without being economically squeezed out never to return ... noting being poor doesn't equate to being a criminal
spoken like marx and engels..not even lenin believed that

Posted on: 2015/1/2 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/2 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
the communists in brooklyn are protesting against neighborhood betterment.

Chocolate Factory in Brooklyn Asks: What, Us? Gentrifiers?
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/nyr ... news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Posted on: 2015/1/2 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting read..

There's no New York issue as divisive as gentrification, so it's not surprising that this week's New York Magazine article arguing in favor of gentrification has become an issue of contention.
The piece, titled "What's Wrong With Gentrification," acknowledges that displacement is understood "to be gentrification's primary evil consequence," but argues that the amount of displacement caused by gentrification isn't as high as many assume. In fact, at least one scholar claims there is no causal relationship between gentrification in Clinton Hill and Harlem and displacement, and that poor residents and those without college degrees are actually less likely to move away from gentrifying neighborhoods than other neighborhoods.
One reason why displacement isn't as widespread as it might seem is that gentrification often takes root in areas that have lost a large number of residents and exist as "penal colonies of poverty, drained of population, services, and hope," according to the article. As the process moves forward, some longtime residents do turn out getting displaced when buildings are sold and rents are raised, but others stay. The piece contends that without gentrification, blighted areas would stay blighted: "[A]fter the white-flight disasters that climaxed in the seventies, most people agreed that our cities? only hope was reintegration, both racial and economic. In parts of gentrified Brooklyn in the last decade, this actually started to happen."

Posted on: 2015/1/2 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Something I would like to see research on is the impact of AIDS on the gentrification of areas like DTJC. At one time it was not at all unusual to see some of the neighborhood bad boys wasting away. Did their deaths lower crime and/or cause the perception of safety to increase? Too PIc to get research funding?

Posted on: 2015/1/2 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The word "gentrification" is fairly overused and generic, often misused and employed in situations that stretch its meaning. Even its roots are misleading as working professionals are hardly part of the gentry class from which the name is derived.

Gentrification today tends to mean a process of class stratification that further polarizes distinctions between rich and poor (and often between white and people of color). Where twenty years ago, it often meant integrating young, white, wealthy individuals alongside poorer people of color, its now come to mean wholly displacing existing neighborhoods. In some instances, gentrification means wealthy white people displacing slightly less wealthy white people, creating super zones of very expensive housing and services.

Some studies from earlier in the 2000s suggested that gentrification helped everyone in a community. Even poorer people ended up benefitting through higher wages for low skilled jobs, better access to government services as wealthy people lobbied for improvements, and better access to private services like grocery stores. However, as the process has accelerated, neighborhoods are less integrated and more exclusive. The edge of gentrified neighborhoods is farther and farther away, meaning living in the fringe offers less access to the benefits of an upscale neighborhood. Also, the process has begun to shift poor -- and the problems that come with it -- into suburbans areas.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
As someone who counts as a gentrifier, I'm all for it. I think you want to attract and retain your middle and upper middle classes as that is the only way that a local economy can thrive and local public institutions such as schools and libraries will eventually see improvements. Yes, there will be some displacement and not everyone will ?win.? But in the long run, it is a net gain for society. Especially, when the alternative is Detroit, which JC resembled in the 70s and 80s.

For a successful example, look no further than Park Slope in Brooklyn. It was once considered rundown and cheap ? not Detroit-bad but still. Today it is an urban oasis with multiple sought after public schools, which is the ultimate win.

As for displacement, rather than affordable housing carveouts (or rent stabilization), which to me would only encourage system-gaming, I?d rather we have developers fund training/re-training programs whereby folks adversely impacted by gentrification are better able to compete on wages, rather than having to rely on affordable housing handouts or minimum wage upgrades. See for example the healthcare focused vocational HS currently housed in the B&G Club at 18 Park. Brilliant and inexpensive idea.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/1/2 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

JCAI wrote:
There is one side effect of gentrification that people may not realize.

What causes gentrification in urban areas is an area becoming 'artsy', i. e. having qualities being high brow.

That's why there is a direct correlation between art and real estate.

But then as the real estate goes up, it evuentually gets to the point that the only artists who are left in the area are wealthy artists. And artists who tend to be wealthy usually don't have an incentive to make bold art. They follow the institutionalized practical joke, one-trick irony formulas. Because that's what their 50k-200k MFA told them to do...

The art scene then turns into a joke, laziness in the arts ensues, decadence, and then the area slowly loses power.

It happened in NYC. NYC used to be the all-saying-all-knowing tyrant when it comes to the arts. Now, NYC is just one of many cities of the pie.

Decadence is not only exclusive to artists who are wealthy. Poor areas have their decadence too. Graffiti and 'street art'. High or low spectrums in the art world have the decadence-middle-low brow philosophy in common. This is what happens when people try to control artists. Either through a group mentality or institutionalized marketable formulas.

But reading something like that in a news article would be a miracle in itself.

Want to maintain or build an authentic art scene? The only way is to offer many subsidized, very cheap art studios in the area.

Just one man's observation. I've lived in Harsimus Cove 30+, always as a house-owner (I had two paroles of 5 years during that period). I don't believe that the art scene (or the gay scene, another facile explanation) kicks off gentrification any more, although they might have been a factor in the 1980s. Attitudes about city living and especially living in an economically and ethnically/racially diverse community have evolved. The role of fathers' in raising kids has changed and for many a long exhausting commute is incompatible with what men want to do or have to do in a two working spouse family. Private schooling is no longer the bastion of the elite, where one met "your kind", but rather an almost given to ensure a solid primary education. How many times have your neighbors confessed: My folks are picking up the kids' tuition? Me, often. Oh, and let's not forget what appears in downtown, at least, of squads of nannies who make raising a family and also working mothers doable. Yep, nannies have gone from Downton Abbey to Downton JC and elsewhere. Just my take.

I?ll throw in a wrinkle... It?s both and more. It is the reduction of a commute due to a variety of factors, the cost of gas, the price of insurance, the cost of cars, the time spent on the road, the stress of traffic, the role of fathers in raising children, drunk driving laws, proximity of entertainment options, and on and on. Just about everything in today?s society plays a role in the desire to reduce time and distance of travel. You can?t pin gentrification, which is really just a byproduct of urban-return, on one cause.

There is also no way to qualitatively declare gentrification as good or bad. In one aspect, it clears out certain criminal elements that largely resides and grows, like mold, in poor areas. The downside is that there are people out there that rely upon shorter commute times to keep their travel costs lower due to their existing low salaries; perpetuating their poverty level and decreasing the ability to rise out of it.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 14:48
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
G Is For Greenville, G Is For Gentrification

By Ricardo Kaulessar

G Is For Going Nowhere

Elizabeth Deegan moved to Jersey City?s Greenville section eight years ago after the Queens native tried to find a house of her own that she could afford in New York City?s five boroughs. Deegan, 35, who works for Federal Express as a delivery person, is well-known in the Greenville area for the Project Greenville art space based in her garage as well as for organizing an annual Winter Wonderland Weekend in recent years.

Deegan said in an interview recently that she doesn?t see gentrification having an impact presently in Greenville since she has not seen a great influx of newer, more affluent residents moving into the area.

?I think the main thing that keeps gentrification at bay here, or at least for now, is simply its geographic location. Most folks, if they have more money to spend on housing, will tend to buy or rent in an area that either has more to offer in regards to their commute or to their extracurricular activities,? Deegan said.

Rafael Orellana has made Greenville his home base for 30 years since moving from the Downtown area.

Orellana, a realtor, remembers a time when Downtown was undesirable enough to live in that it prompted him to relocate.

Orellana, who owns his own home, is in agreement with Deegan that gentrification will not seep into Greenville any time soon. He said it is not just because of much of it is not immediately accessible by public transportation, but also because of perception.

?There?s a bad perception of Greenville amongst those who want me to show them houses,? Orellana said. ?They?ll say the Heights, Journal Square, but not Greenville because they say there?s too much crime.?

However, some believe that Greenville could be in for some gentrifying depending on certain factors.

Lorenzo Richardson, 44, lives with his wife and infant son in a Greenville-area home he shares with his mother. Richardson, an accounting manager for the Urban League of Hudson County in Jersey City, sees gentrification creeping into his part of town to some degree.

?I have looked at several properties to buy but it?s tough because everyone I have been beaten out by an investor,? Richardson said.

Richardson explained that individuals as well as larger entities have been buying up properties in various parts of Greenville that were priced for short sale, then fixed up and sold at a profit.

He also sees signs of gentrification coming down the road with the new Public School 20 on Ocean Avenue currently under construction, which he believes will attract parents from the tonier sections of Greenville such as Port Liberte to send their children.

Richardson thinks city policies and initiatives such as more construction of affordable housing can help retain longtime Greenville residents who could get priced out.

City Council President Rolando Lavarro, who holds a citywide seat, said while Greenville has seen upscale development over the years such as Port Liberte, Society Hill and middle income housing along Gates Avenue west of Kennedy Boulevard, he thinks ?most would agree that these developments have not displaced established residents.?

Lavarro said that he is working with the Mayor on a policy that will increase affordable housing options for Jersey City residents. He also said it will not only focus on low-income and senior housing, but also workforce housing so ?more police officers, fire fighters, teachers and working families can continue to call Jersey City their home for years to come.?

More

Posted on: 2015/1/2 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCAI wrote:
There is one side effect of gentrification that people may not realize.

What causes gentrification in urban areas is an area becoming 'artsy', i. e. having qualities being high brow.

That's why there is a direct correlation between art and real estate.

But then as the real estate goes up, it evuentually gets to the point that the only artists who are left in the area are wealthy artists. And artists who tend to be wealthy usually don't have an incentive to make bold art. They follow the institutionalized practical joke, one-trick irony formulas. Because that's what their 50k-200k MFA told them to do...

The art scene then turns into a joke, laziness in the arts ensues, decadence, and then the area slowly loses power.

It happened in NYC. NYC used to be the all-saying-all-knowing tyrant when it comes to the arts. Now, NYC is just one of many cities of the pie.

Decadence is not only exclusive to artists who are wealthy. Poor areas have their decadence too. Graffiti and 'street art'. High or low spectrums in the art world have the decadence-middle-low brow philosophy in common. This is what happens when people try to control artists. Either through a group mentality or institutionalized marketable formulas.

But reading something like that in a news article would be a miracle in itself.

Want to maintain or build an authentic art scene? The only way is to offer many subsidized, very cheap art studios in the area.

Just one man's observation. I've lived in Harsimus Cove 30+, always as a house-owner (I had two paroles of 5 years during that period). I don't believe that the art scene (or the gay scene, another facile explanation) kicks off gentrification any more, although they might have been a factor in the 1980s. Attitudes about city living and especially living in an economically and ethnically/racially diverse community have evolved. The role of fathers' in raising kids has changed and for many a long exhausting commute is incompatible with what men want to do or have to do in a two working spouse family. Private schooling is no longer the bastion of the elite, where one met "your kind", but rather an almost given to ensure a solid primary education. How many times have your neighbors confessed: My folks are picking up the kids' tuition? Me, often. Oh, and let's not forget what appears in downtown, at least, of squads of nannies who make raising a family and also working mothers doable. Yep, nannies have gone from Downton Abbey to Downton JC and elsewhere. Just my take.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 13:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Well JCAI has some influence for the arts in JC, we're not a ghost. We're not that powerful in terms of having a say in government, at least not yet.

Let me know who you think is the best person I should write an e-mail to and I will inform / ask them about it.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Artists need to lobby Fulop and their locally elected councilman for zoning legislation that prevents developers squeezing them out.
Maybe developers could be forced to create subsidized studio space within their developments or areas of land designated to the artistic and cultural needs of a community as part of their tax abatements given by city hall ... alternatively one off payments by any new developments to a cultural and artists hub !

I also believe that we have also neglected the artistic needs of our musicians, poets, writers, photographers, dancers etc etc.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 2:46

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017