Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Is crime down?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Crime will only increase as the population increases - It may appear higher, but in reality it will be within a ratio as before.

Thus via the same ratio, we need to increase police numbers and personnel that combat crime

It will be difficult to increase the number of police officers with the new contract. Giving a base pay of $100,000 at step ten is unbelievable .

Posted on: 2015/1/1 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
According to Fulop latest newsletter...

Crime is down in all of the following major categories this year in Jersey City compared to last year.

? Aggravated assaults are down 34 percent from 537 in 2013 to 354 in 2014

? Robberies are down 12 percent this year from 652 in 2013 to 573 in 2014

? Armed robberies are down 23 percent this year from 259 in 2013 to 197 in 2014

? Burglaries are down six percent from 1,133 in 2013 to 1,056 in 2014

? Sexual assaults are down 18 percent from 55 in 2013 to 45 in 2014

? Auto theft is down 23 percent from 567 in 2013 to 432 in 2014

? Larceny is down five percent from 2,674 in 2013 to 2,545 in 2014

Posted on: 2015/1/1 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Crime will only increase as the population increases - It may appear higher, but in reality it will be within a ratio as before.

Thus via the same ratio, we need to increase police numbers and personnel that combat crime

Posted on: 2014/12/31 23:09
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City was gripped by sadness over the murder of young police officer this year, shocked by the murder of a good samaritan helping a woman in a Downtown deli and grief-stricken by the murder of a beloved Sunday school teacher in the Heights.

In 2014 there were 24 homicides in Hudson County -- 23 in Jersey City and one in Bayonne. The number does not include three death-by-auto cases, one each in Jersey City, Bayonne and North Bergen.

More

Posted on: 2014/12/31 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well it feels down, just got a report and the closest thing near me was an assault on Stegman and the incident that happened dtjc a few days ago. other than that every thing else is Staten Island and Newark.
A few years ago the crime map in the two mile radius from my home lit up like anChristmas tree. I guess the cops on motorcycles in the south ward is working.

Posted on: 2013/12/29 22:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Hi guys -

So we are working on making this public (it was part of my platform.). I am also very enthusiastic about open data. I've been working with a couple of residents who founded OpenJC and they've already taken a sample data file from the police and uploaded it to an open data set.

We had to strip out things related to minors and sexual assault related items.

Obviously we need to codify this and make sure the proper security measures are in place to make sure no PII is uploaded, but when we do then the complete the raw data will be there for anyone to build whatever apps or analysis they want to.

If anyone is interested in this let me know and I'll connect you to the right people.

Best,
Candice

Posted on: 2013/12/28 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Spotcrime is not very good. I have seen crimes in my neighborhood that never show up on their reports.

Posted on: 2013/12/27 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
@user1111 - Text alerts for breaking police activity in my neighborhood may be too hardcore for me (I already get texts from NJ Transit, which cause me to panic and run to get the last bus out LOL)... but I appreciate the link and will check it out!

Posted on: 2013/12/27 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
There have been more than a couple attacks/muggings on Erie Street recently, which is very alarming.

Can you share more information on this?

I think I read that info here. I believe there were about 3 random muggings, all on Erie Street between 2nd Street and 6th Street, in the past month or so. One involved a knife, and one victim was punched out.

http://spotcrime.com/#Harsimus%20Cove ... %2C%20NJ%2007302%2C%20USA

I think this is the report User was referring to...

So I checked this out for my neighborhood in the Heights - very little turned up, which I should be encouraged by I suppose! But has anyone tried to correlate this data (how is it gathered BTW) with JCPD's official stats?

Here

Posted on: 2013/12/27 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
There have been more than a couple attacks/muggings on Erie Street recently, which is very alarming.

I think I read that info here. I believe there were about 3 random muggings, all on Erie Street between 2nd Street and 6th Street, in the past month or so. One involved a knife, and one victim was punched out.

I think this is the report User was referring to...

So I checked this out for my neighborhood in the Heights - very little turned up, which I should be encouraged by I suppose! But has anyone tried to correlate this data (how is it gathered BTW) with JCPD's official stats?

Posted on: 2013/12/27 20:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/29 19:11
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
For what you are writing guys, seems as there aren't enough patrol cars. We just moved to JC so do not know but there are plenty of shady characters around:(

Posted on: 2013/12/9 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I emailed Candice about sharing all JC crime reports with Spotcrime or a similar service. They already have something similar they use at the Captain's meetings. It would be good for more people to ask their local councilors to make the crime data public. As for the question, is crime down? Hard to tell from the COMPSTAT reports. Looks like burglary is down. Violent crime didn't move much q3 2013 versus q3 2012. http://www.njjcpd.org/node/5 From Spotcrime.com Quote:
On Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:03 AM, spotcrime.com <system@spotcrime.com> wrote: When SpotCrime launched in 2007, we were one of the only companies to offer free crime mapping to every agency in US. That same year, the price of crime mapping services averaged between $20,000 to $300,000 per agency. Just recently, the reportedly largest police vendor crime mapping company, CrimeReports.com, announced they are finally giving away their crime mapping for free to all police agencies. The only other large scale crime mapping vendor that still requires payment from police departments is CrimeMapping.com. If your agency is paying for public crime mapping, we recommend you ask about the free options. We think SpotCrime's competitive and innovative approach has made an impact on the cost of public crime mapping for everyone. With over 70 million alerts sent this year alone, we feel we've made an impact in actually getting crime information to the public as well. Unfortunately, vendor crime mapping companies in the market today still lock up public crime data. They get hired to make the data public and then add restrictions on how the public can use the data. This prevents the public from using and sharing the information, and limits how the press reports on the crime data. Our hope is that all agencies across the US will continue to embrace the benefits behind opening up crime data. We need your help in stopping this game of 'Public Crime Data Keep Away'. If your local police agency doesn't have a public feed accessible to everyone without restrictions, reach out and ask them to create one. Let them know there are free resources available to them. If they aren't sure where to start, have them contact us, we'll be happy to help! Let's all help make public crime data fully public. Sincerely, Colin Drane Founder Feedback@SpotCrime.com 619.663.7768 Please check out our mobile friendly website: http://bit.ly/spotcrimem

Posted on: 2013/12/9 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I think this is the report User was referring to. It does not include any muggings on Erie St thru the end of October. It's not clear if any assaults are muggings; they could be fights, including domestic violence. While I don't have total confidence in any report, they tend to be more accurate then the On Dits that are the alternative.

Yes that's the report I am referring to. The last major crime (shooting) in GV was in Oct, and the last mugging was in Aug. I trust this report more than the Jersey Journal, half of the crimes outside of GV never makes it in the paper. Also half of the crimes that are reported in Jersey Journal with GV in the title are in fact not even in GV.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I think this is the report User was referring to. It does not include any muggings on Erie St thru the end of October. It's not clear if any assaults are muggings; they could be fights, including domestic violence. While I don't have total confidence in any report, they tend to be more accurate then the On Dits that are the alternative.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 11:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rycor wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/9 4:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/12/9 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bounty wrote:
Unlikely. Walked down Pavonia right near Hamilton Park yesterday and there were three hoodlums blatantly looking into car windows to see what they can smash and grab. In broad daylight, with no care in #OOPS# who was around. Also, several muggings around Erie/2nd in the past couple months.

What did the cops say when you called? Did they send out a patrol car?

Posted on: 2013/12/9 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/9 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bounty wrote:
Unlikely. Walked down Pavonia right near Hamilton Park yesterday and there were three hoodlums blatantly looking into car windows to see what they can smash and grab. In broad daylight, with no care in #OOPS# who was around. Also, several muggings around Erie/2nd in the past couple months.

Sorry to hear that, well its been pretty quite up here... Just saw this today.

Felix Alarcon/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City law enforcement officials working in a joint operation Friday arrested 17 people on a variety of charges - including narcotics offenses and nearly 150 motor vehicle summonses - officials said.

The sweep, which began at 2 p.m., consisted of 50 uniformed and 50 undercover officers patrolling areas known for disorderly groups and holiday shopping areas.

The operation included officials from the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office, the Hudson County Sheriff's Office and the federal Drug Enforcement Agency, officials said.

"Our commanders have been working with the community to identify the problem locations and have been targeting these sites," said Mayor Steven M. Fulop. "The operation conducted Friday night led not only to a significant number of arrests, but also rendered important intelligence that will assist our officers in continuing to improve public safety for our residents."

As a result of the operation, police were able to obtain a warrant for a home known as a drug distribution site on Orient Avenue.

"The home was heavily fortified," officials said, adding "... suspects with known prior weapons offenses were believed to be inside." Officers employed a device to help with their entry and three people were arrested.

Police said they recovered two bricks of heroin earlier in the day that had been sold from the house.

"Even though the weather has changed, we are not relenting and will continue to apply pressure to those areas where crime has historically been a problem," said Fulop.

Fifty uniformed officers were deployed in the East, West, and South Districts to address disorderly groups, said Fulop.

"Despite the rain, all our officers maintained a high visibility in problem areas as well as focusing on shopping districts which are known targets during the holiday season," said Fulop.

In the summer the city conducted sweeps bringing in more than 200 people in problem areas.

"We want to thank all of the agencies who participated, and we want to especially recognize the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office for their continued allocation of resources and personnel," said Fulop.

Posted on: 2013/12/9 0:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/27 19:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/8 21:14

Is crime down?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I get a report from spotcrime.com weekly and usually there is some sort of crime within the 2 mile radius of my home within JC but for the last two weeks the report has only shown crimes in Staten Island and Hoboken.

Also I am seeing less druggies getting off the lightrail.

Is Fulop plan working? Has anyone else noticed this?

Posted on: 2013/12/8 20:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017