Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 11 Signs Your Hood Is Being Gentrified
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:

"Not that they?re not good things. It?s just that they come at the expense of people who aren?t intended to enjoy them."

These articles really annoy me - while the sense of entitlement of the newcomers is always condemned, the sense of entitlement of the old-timers to have their way of life continually subsidized and maintained is not.

Maybe because I was gentrified out of my long time (15 year) Upper West Side 'hood', and took a leap of faith and bought into a new neighborhood (Heights, no catchy moniker yet) so have to trust in my ability to make the best of things vs. live in the past.

I do realize not everyone can be a stakeholder but n the sense of owning property, but people need to accept change and position themselves as best they can.

Posted on: 2014/12/28 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
you know your hood is being gentrifiedwhen hookers are told by their johns that its more convenient to meet in an adjacent hood

Posted on: 2014/12/25 5:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users

"Not that they?re not good things. It?s just that they come at the expense of people who aren?t intended to enjoy them."

Posted on: 2014/12/25 1:21

11 Signs Your Hood Is Being Gentrified
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hey JSQ, Heights, Greenville, Lafayatte and DTJC!

1. Neighborhood boundary lines will be strategically reconfigured, and your new redistricted area will be outfitted with catchy, cutesy names.

2. Lighting will crop up. Y?all lived for years in near-apocalyptic darkness as existing street lights went long malfunctioning. Now the block is lit up like a night game at FedExField. Magical.

3. ?Liquor stores? will be euphemistically renamed ?wine and spirits shops.?

4. Cops will dutifully patrol your neighborhood in nonemergency situations. On foot, bike and vehicle patrols, sometimes even horses. No one has to call them. They?re already there.

5. You find out that the way you?ve been living is no longer ?current.?

6. You get a store that stays open 24 hours. Up until now, you had to scream your pump number and request for soda and sunflower seeds through three layers of Plexiglas at the neighborhood gas station. Now doors are allowed to stay open 24-7.

7. These show up (Shared Bike Programs), along with allocated lanes to ride them in the streets. It?s always a sign when people trust the community to borrow stuff and bring it back. (See also: Zipcar.)

More

Posted on: 2014/12/24 15:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017