Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC has competition for "6th Boro" status
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
The only reason Manhattan means anything to me is because that is where my employer is located. That is the only reason I have a connection to NYC. If my employer moved to Connecticut I wouldn't miss NYC at all. There are plenty of communities in the Tri-state area where their only connection to NYC is that it is where their residents work. Those communities have no interest in being called the 6th Boro. And neither should JC.

Posted on: 2015/1/1 6:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
I moved to JC to NYC specifically because it was NOT like NYC. I'd rather not have some stupid nickname that suggests it is. Actually I'd rather not have some stupid nickname at all.

This practice of putting nicknames on neighborhoods has been way overused by insecure people who are simply ashamed of where they currently live. They should get some balls and be proud of the where they reside. This "6th boro" moniker just screams either inferiority complex or superiority complex (depending upon your motives). Either way it's indicative of having a problem with being who you are.

The practice of putting nicknames on neighborhoods is predominantly used by realtors to make traditionally undesirable areas more desirable. Apparently it works, and at least some of the new transplants keep the practice going.

While I think the 6th Boro thing is silly, only a fool could pretend that JC is completely independent of Manhattan. Cut off PATH train service and well see just how well JC does after it gains its "independence."

Posted on: 2014/12/31 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
I moved to JC to NYC specifically because it was NOT like NYC. I'd rather not have some stupid nickname that suggests it is. Actually I'd rather not have some stupid nickname at all.

This practice of putting nicknames on neighborhoods has been way overused by insecure people who are simply ashamed of where they currently live. They should get some balls and be proud of the where they reside. This "6th boro" moniker just screams either inferiority complex or superiority complex (depending upon your motives). Either way it's indicative of having a problem with being who you are.

Borough just means it's part of the NYC metro area, which it is. Without Manhattan, you don't have JC as you know it. So we should be glad we're part of the metro area.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/31 10:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
JC is growing BECAUSE of NYC. Appreciate that and move on.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
How about just JC? We can be Arlington to NYC's DC, inextricably intertwined yet separate and different. Somehow Arlingtonians don't worry about whether they're hoi or cool enough as DC.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I think you own 6Boro.com -- or something right....

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Don't worry, without overnight PATH service, nobody will be comparing Jersey City to a borough of NYC.

I like NotBoro as well...

Posted on: 2014/12/31 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Don't worry, without overnight PATH service, nobody will be comparing Jersey City to a borough of NYC.

Posted on: 2014/12/31 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I can get behind NoBo -- or NoBoro

Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
The name needs to be witty -- like DUMBO. "Zero Boro" is better than "6th Boro" -- it shows Hudson County & Jersey City's actual relationship to NYC.
We are right here and closer than many in the "outer boros" to Manhattan -- but we are NOT a boro -- hence "Zero Boro"

How about "NOBO"

Posted on: 2014/12/31 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

heightsrepman wrote:
Jersey city should be called "Jersey City" and nothing else. It is the second biggest city in New Jersey, not New York. A city that has nothing to do with proximity to new york because hoboken and weehawken are just as close if not an easier commute. but a city that has everything to do with its rich history from the bootleging days.

To call Jersey city the 6th borough would be a disgrace to all who were born in this great city and that name represents nothing of what it stands for. Jersey City is a city within the state of New jersey that represents the struggles and hard times that some in the hill see everyday, the quiet area and great views that those in downtown enjoy and the hustle and bustle that those in the heights and journal square experience.

Please stop this cry to put a nickname to a place that is already making a name on the map. Jersey City is what it is and I appreciate those who are helping to make it better but changing the name will not change its character.

- a JC native

Excellent comment.

Jersey City wasn?t the 6th boro in its heyday in the 20?s, 30?s, 40?s, 50?s and 60?s when the population was around 300K before the great exodus in the 70?s so why make it the 6th boro now that it has been making a comeback since the 80?s? We always stood on our own two feet even with having NYC right across the river. WE should make Manhattan and the other 4 NYC boro?s OUR second boro!! That should be OUR mindset. Screw wishing the hot NYC places open up a second restaurant or bar in JC. Be creative you are young? we should lead again.

Believe it or not back in the day NY?ers made the trip over to JC for OUR shopping, food, and live entertainment ?Soap Creek Saloon, O?Hara?s, Showboat Lounge, Narrowbacks, and the countless concerts at Roosevelt Stadium. (I can account for that first hand because of all of the fights we used to get into with the NY?ers)

I agree 100%. Jersey City is cool now so lets give it to NYC? F*** That! Yeah, it's just a nickname but it's an insult to every NEW JERSEY resident who made it what it is today. The "yeah but the cool people come from NYC" is such B.S. Guess what? If they live in Jersey City then they are NEW JERSEY residents. Ewwww factor and all!

Posted on: 2014/12/30 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
The name needs to be witty -- like DUMBO. "Zero Boro" is better than "6th Boro" -- it shows Hudson County & Jersey City's actual relationship to NYC.
We are right here and closer than many in the "outer boros" to Manhattan -- but we are NOT a boro -- hence "Zero Boro"

How about "NOBO"

Posted on: 2014/12/30 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
People don't willingly move to 2nd rate cities willingly

On the contrary - people do this all the time, when they can't afford to live in the first rate city (or neighborhood). If they then find themselves motivated, and feel sufficiently like "stake-holders" they'll try to remake where they moved to into the image of where they want to be. I for one never wanted to leave Manhattan, and never thought I would end up living in New Jersey, but was hopelessly priced-out of NYC.

I posted this link mainly for the humor factor, but in all seriousness think it also speaks to the aspirations of many (probably newer) JC residents. Do I personally think JC needs to be NYC's 6th Boro? Considering Manhattan would probably happier without 2 of it's 4 companion boros - the Bronx (too poor) and Staten Island (too Republican) I would say no, and JC is much better off reinventing itself rather than risk becoming a less-loved step child.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heightsrepman wrote:
Jersey city should be called "Jersey City" and nothing else. It is the second biggest city in New Jersey, not New York. A city that has nothing to do with proximity to new york because hoboken and weehawken are just as close if not an easier commute. but a city that has everything to do with its rich history from the bootleging days.

To call Jersey city the 6th borough would be a disgrace to all who were born in this great city and that name represents nothing of what it stands for. Jersey City is a city within the state of New jersey that represents the struggles and hard times that some in the hill see everyday, the quiet area and great views that those in downtown enjoy and the hustle and bustle that those in the heights and journal square experience.

Please stop this cry to put a nickname to a place that is already making a name on the map. Jersey City is what it is and I appreciate those who are helping to make it better but changing the name will not change its character.

- a JC native

Take a wild guess how much JC's history from the bootlegging days had to do with why I and many others moved to and purchased property in JC? Zero, zip, zilch. It could have had a rich history of goat farming for all I and most people investing in JC cared. And from what I can tell, the gritty history is just something that everyone that matters is trying hard to sweep under a fresh coat of paint (and yes, that involves "changing the character of the city" - that is why we now have a bunch of cafes, organic stores, high end coffee shops and restaurants, rather than 99 cent stores and other throwbacks to when the city was crap). If you want a place that still retains a "gritty" feel I suggest Newark.

And in terms of commuting you cannot compare Weehawken to DTJC. Hoboken is really JC's primary competition and we would be fools to not recognize that it is very solid competition. The reason people are happy with the name "6th borough" is because it attracts the kind of people we actually want here. People looking to pull this city up, not throw it back down into the sh!t where it came from.

Posted on: 2014/12/24 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heightsrepman wrote:

- a JC native

Excellent comment.

Jersey City wasn?t the 6th boro in its heyday in the 20?s, 30?s, 40?s, 50?s and 60?s when the population was around 300K before the great exodus in the 70?s so why make it the 6th boro now that it has been making a comeback since the 80?s? We always stood on our own two feet even with having NYC right across the river. WE should make Manhattan and the other 4 NYC boro?s OUR second boro!! That should be OUR mindset. Screw wishing the hot NYC places open up a second restaurant or bar in JC. Be creative you are young? we should lead again.

Believe it or not back in the day NY?ers made the trip over to JC for OUR shopping, food, and live entertainment ?Soap Creek Saloon, O?Hara?s, Showboat Lounge, Narrowbacks, and the countless concerts at Roosevelt Stadium. (I can account for that first hand because of all of the fights we used to get into with the NY?ers)

Posted on: 2014/12/23 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
It is not called "kiss ass," it is called having a grip on reality. Likewise I wouldn't call some of the comments here representative of an "inferiority complex," I would call them delusional.

Listen, JC has plenty of nice things to offer. But you can't pretend that JC would look ANYTHING like it does if not for Manhattan. Maybe certain parts of JC would but that's about it.

I do think that "Sixth Borough" is too try-hard and poseury. JC has a fine name as it is. But it must be interesting living in a world where the sky is green and JC is completely separated from NYC.

Posted on: 2014/12/23 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Let them have it. Naming JC "the 6th boro" is stupid. Calling JC that is an embarrassment. It doesn't make JC look cool it just perpetuates that NJ is full of kiss-asses who want to be just like NYC. We try so hard to act like that lonely kid at school who calls the cool kid his friend just because we sit next to each other in class. Every time I bring someone from out of state they laugh at how corny and ridiculous that nickname is. It makes people think less of the city. My friends and family who come always say the same thing after I tell them how its stupid: " Its just Jersey being Jersey".

Its not a name we should be proud of.

I love the denial. The primary reason JC is worth anything is proximity to NYC and de facto status as the 6th borough. JC should embrace this rather than fighting it like a rebellious teenager that doesn't want to be associated with their parents while still taking their cash.

Agreed! What really is in a name?!?! As the saying goes ... a rose by any other name ...

We should have our own identity, agreed, but just like Queens or Staten Island, JC would be insignificant if it wasn't almost attached to Manhattan. Let people call it whatever while we (re)establish our own identity.

Exactly. What we really don't want is people constantly going back to Manhattan to hang out because there's nothing here to do, or to be seen as entirely fungible with other boroughs. But I can't stand people that pretend that JC exists as a totally separate city that has nothing to do with Manhattan.

It is a totally separate city. And I can't stand people who would suck NYC's dick if it had one. Be proud of the fact that JC is growing and is becoming its own city in its own right. Having a nickname like that just showcases how JC is just proud of being second rate. People don't willingly move to 2nd rate cities willingly. And I hate when people deny that NYC is not NYC due to being next to NJ. So many things that are considered NYC have their roots over here but that never seems to be brought up.

And people would call this an inferiority complex but it seems to me that would be the case for anyone who makes it a point to associate with NYC. Because nothing screams inferiority complex than having to find association with a city to give some meaning to your life and to make you feel like you accomplished something.

Posted on: 2014/12/23 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heightsrepman wrote:

- a JC native

Thank you. Finally somebody who isn't a kiss ass!

Posted on: 2014/12/23 21:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 19:26
Group:
Registered Users

- a JC native

Posted on: 2014/12/23 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
Let them have it. Naming JC "the 6th boro" is stupid. Calling JC that is an embarrassment. It doesn't make JC look cool it just perpetuates that NJ is full of kiss-asses who want to be just like NYC. We try so hard to act like that lonely kid at school who calls the cool kid his friend just because we sit next to each other in class. Every time I bring someone from out of state they laugh at how corny and ridiculous that nickname is. It makes people think less of the city. My friends and family who come always say the same thing after I tell them how its stupid: " Its just Jersey being Jersey".

I love the denial. The primary reason JC is worth anything is proximity to NYC and de facto status as the 6th borough. JC should embrace this rather than fighting it like a rebellious teenager that doesn't want to be associated with their parents while still taking their cash.

Agreed! What really is in a name?!?! As the saying goes ... a rose by any other name ...

We should have our own identity, agreed, but just like Queens or Staten Island, JC would be insignificant if it wasn't almost attached to Manhattan. Let people call it whatever while we (re)establish our own identity.

Exactly. What we really don't want is people constantly going back to Manhattan to hang out because there's nothing here to do, or to be seen as entirely fungible with other boroughs. But I can't stand people that pretend that JC exists as a totally separate city that has nothing to do with Manhattan.

Posted on: 2014/12/23 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/23 19:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/23 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/23 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/23 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you look at number of mentions and exclude stuff like pre-WW2 references to Yonkers, you see JC is the clear frontrunner.

Posted on: 2014/12/22 22:46

JC has competition for "6th Boro" status
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
31 of them, according to this article from 'The Awl'. 2 are actually in Manhattan already, which just goes to show how coveted - and elusive - the title of "boro" really is!

http://www.theawl.com/2014/12/the-32- ... -order-from-worst-to-best

Posted on: 2014/12/19 21:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017