Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: More demolition of historic buildings in the Powerhouse arts district proposed!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
a theater will be nice....this town needs some culture!

Posted on: 2014/12/22 4:58

Re: More demolition of historic buildings in the Powerhouse arts district proposed!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Just because it is old means it deserves to stay in place forever? I never really understood this argument. What is the importance of forcing developers to renovate historical structures into rentals/condos?

It's like me buying a very old car from someone an being forced to maintain the look of the car. Didn't I just buy the car?

Let's take an example - Dixon Mills. Does the community really lose anything if DM would of been torn down? Besides feelings of nostalgia, what does it really do for you to save a building ? Those pencil making jobs are gone, the industry is about to be gone, and just by preserving the building - it's not like you preserving the story of Dixon Mills.

Now let's look at the cons of doing that - for years, DM was a leaky and rat infested building not because it was not well maintained but because you forced developers to use a 100+ year old building for living space...

Time changes, life becomes more efficient. Take pictures (do it on your polaroid if it it makes you feel better) but to leave an old building and force it to change with the times is dumb. Save a plank or something and put it in a museum.

If you don't understand something, what makes you think you're qualified to comment on it?

Dixon Mills doesn't have problems because it's old. It has problems because the developer did a cheap shit job.

Umm, freedom of speech? Good job addressing my points.

I addressed your points by pointing out how ignorant and useless they are.

Posted on: 2014/12/22 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
The building on warren never seemed noteworthy to me unlike the 350 warren factory tower across the street that is currently being reno'd.

The building demolished this week was intended to be the black box theater - which will now be newly constructed seated theater to be built during Phase Three - along Morgan/Provost next to Manischewitz building.

Posted on: 2014/12/21 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Yeah! When are they gonna get rid of this drafty old piece of crap?

Resized Image

Yes that old building in jc is comparable to a wonder of the world. Give me a break

Posted on: 2014/12/21 4:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Yeah! When are they gonna get rid of this drafty old piece of crap?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/12/21 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Just because it is old means it deserves to stay in place forever? I never really understood this argument. What is the importance of forcing developers to renovate historical structures into rentals/condos?

The value of historic preservation has been well established, especially in downtown Jersey City.

Care to elaborate or should I just trust you?

Posted on: 2014/12/21 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

It's like me buying a very old car from someone an being forced to maintain the look of the car. Didn't I just buy the car?

Let's take an example - Dixon Mills. Does the community really lose anything if DM would of been torn down? Besides feelings of nostalgia, what does it really do for you to save a building ? Those pencil making jobs are gone, the industry is about to be gone, and just by preserving the building - it's not like you preserving the story of Dixon Mills.

Now let's look at the cons of doing that - for years, DM was a leaky and rat infested building not because it was not well maintained but because you forced developers to use a 100+ year old building for living space...

Time changes, life becomes more efficient. Take pictures (do it on your polaroid if it it makes you feel better) but to leave an old building and force it to change with the times is dumb. Save a plank or something and put it in a museum.

If you don't understand something, what makes you think you're qualified to comment on it?

Dixon Mills doesn't have problems because it's old. It has problems because the developer did a cheap shit job.

Umm, freedom of speech? Good job addressing my points.

Posted on: 2014/12/21 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/21 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

The value of historic preservation has been well established, especially in downtown Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/12/21 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i think provost square will look nice when done

Posted on: 2014/12/21 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
The building on warren never seemed noteworthy to me unlike the 350 warren factory tower across the street that is currently being reno'd.

Posted on: 2014/12/21 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/20 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
These buildings were supposed to be saved and redeveloped until Toll Brothers swept in and bought the lots in 2006/7 for their mega development project from Marin to Warren between Morgan and Bay. This block is "Phase Two" of Provost Square.
The structure on Morgan/Warren, currently being demolished was necessary - it was falling in and the exterior had a huge crack in it. Toll Brothers suddenly demolished it - in fear that it could fall down over the winter.

This is an image of what will replace them. - looking southeast from corner of Bay and Provost (towards Warren Street)
http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/In ... ges/03_ProvostSq_main.jpg

http://www.aecom.com/About/AECOM+Capi ... ojectsList/Provost+Square

Posted on: 2014/12/20 20:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/1 21:19
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Let Bob Lehrer rot with his building!

Posted on: 2014/12/20 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Do we have a pic of the bldgs? I don't recall seeing anything noteworthy at that intersection.

Posted on: 2014/12/20 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Where did you hear this?

Posted on: 2014/12/20 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
If one or both of these buildings are allowed to be demolished, what will happen with 150 Bay Street, or the cityside building, or the other that were designated historic by the planning office and community.

Posted on: 2014/12/20 16:29

More demolition of historic buildings in the Powerhouse arts district proposed!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
I just heard a disturbing piece of information, that the historic buildings, 126 and 130 Bay Street, on the corner of Bay Street and Warren Street, are being proposed for demolition by the developers buying the properties. If this is correct, why do we even have a redevelopment plan for the PAD. Why bother with the pretense of a vision or an organized plan in the first place. I heard they are selling for 15 million. Does anyone have any information on this sale and project.

Posted on: 2014/12/20 16:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017