Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
64 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 64

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Does JC need a bsuiness-oriented library?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/21 7:07
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey City Public Library is an absolute gem and has served me well through the years. Beyond just the books (of which I've read many), it's a great place to check out movies, and when I didn't have a printer, it was a quick and cheap place to get prints.

And I know it serves as an important resource for people to access the internet and use computers for free, which is very important for those that may not have the money to do so on their own.

Libraries seem to be shifting away from books and focusing more on becoming free computer labs, which is great, but I would be sad should the books ever disappear altogether.

Posted on: 2014/12/21 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Not sure why all my posts about libraries are being deleted but let me say this again:

People need libraries like they need typewriters. It is better to spend money on homeless shelters than libraries - of any kind.

If you're talking about a space without books then we are no longer talking about libraries in which case I agree with you - there needs to be a modern community space that is well maintained that DOES NOT allow people to just sleep in (as is the use of many libraries now). Equipped with modern technology.

Books are pretty useless and the city spending any money on books is a waste of tax payer money.
perhaps your concept of libraries need to evolve.

Posted on: 2014/12/20 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure why all my posts about libraries are being deleted but let me say this again:

People need libraries like they need typewriters. It is better to spend money on homeless shelters than libraries - of any kind.

If you're talking about a space without books then we are no longer talking about libraries in which case I agree with you - there needs to be a modern community space that is well maintained that DOES NOT allow people to just sleep in (as is the use of many libraries now). Equipped with modern technology.

Books are pretty useless and the city spending any money on books is a waste of tax payer money.

Posted on: 2014/12/20 21:11

Does JC need a bsuiness-oriented library?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Today, I went to Manhattan's business library and it seems to me that JC also needs a modern business/finance/commerce oriented library with many more computers, databases and conference/community rooms.

it seems to me that the main library is just too outdated to ever be able to serve such a purpose. perhaps the city could get developers and some of the large corporate customers to help fund it.

Posted on: 2014/12/20 20:38

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017