Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fine Fair in JC?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
The new Fine Fare grocery store on West Side at Duncan opened today. I stopped in and picked up a few things.

Looked like they were still awaiting deliveries of of few items... training some of the cashiers, etc - but I was able to look around, get what I needed, and check out quickly.

I wish them well - I'll be there a lot.

Posted on: 2015/3/29 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
So true, and don't forget the Tic-Tock luncheonette right there also. You could make a case that Petersons was the best bakery in the city. Some would argue Paris Bakery on Bergen was better. In the 50's and 60's we had really great local bakeries. Only a few are holding on now.

Posted on: 2014/12/20 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
12/20/14..The temporary ply wood fence in front of the Fine Fair is down and the gates are up. They are washing the windows and it looks like some stock is on the selves. Nice and clean.

Sully here?s another old-time survivor(you maybe already know) ?.Montgomery Auto Parts. It used to be on the corner of West Side and Montgomery then moved to its bigger building with parking across the street. Back in the day that place was my second home but now a day?s there is not much DIY to do on cars. It?s amazing they are still around for that reason and also the big box auto stores that popped up in JC.

I drove by the park it?s a big renovation job indeed. Let?s see in the area? the senior housing building next to the park used to be a huge gas station with a 2 story WOODEN parking garage. Along with a few pretty nice houses that were demolished to make way for the senior building.

Then of course there is the old Divine Fairmount Hotel on Duncan and the Blvd. That was the place to go for childhood graduation parties and other celebrations. The service and food were excellent.

Interesting piece?..check out the newspaper article at the bottom.

http://www.libertynet.org/fdipmm/hotels/fairmont.html

The Hudson City Savings Bank branch at the Blvd and Jewett has some great wall murals of old JC.

Posted on: 2014/12/20 16:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Yes - very happy Fine Fare this is coming back. They have been making rapid progress with construction the last couple months.

Some nice improvements happening in this neighborhood - the renovation of Boyd-McGuiness Park @ Duncan & Kennedy should also be a terrific new amenity.

Love Duncan Hardware & Veniero - I give them as much business as I can. Wish the hardware store had Sunday hours... that's usually when I'm spending my fixit/home chores $$.

Posted on: 2014/12/17 3:50

Fine Fair in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Yes it is true ?a newly renovated Fine Fair Supermarket is opening soon at 759 West Side Avenue near Duncan. I think it was a yearlong wall to wall renovation. The front sign and awnings are up and it looks like the shelving inside is up. It will be a nice addition to the neighborhood?something fresh and new. Someone also renovated the burned out building next to it.

Fine Fair : http://www.finefaresupermarkets.com/

JC history: In that area you had Petersons Bakery, Bauer?s liquor (and fruit baskets) store, Jules Italian Restaurant, Carmen?s Deli (a favorite with SPC students the lines were out the door), JC Bagel Factory(the best bagels ever), a couple of dive bars (with the all-important ?packaged goods sold here? signs), O?Hara?s (live music) Bar (got its name from massive tomb stone in the cemetery across the street).

There was also one of the first video rental stores in the tri-state area called Mac?s Video. He opened a second one at West Side and Culver. There was some wild story that the owner of Mac?s was knocked off in NYC for refusing to give a piece of the business to the mob. (can?t verify that tale)

There are still two old-timers in the area?.Veniero Lock & Safe Co and Duncan Hardware. It is amazing that Duncan Hardware has survived with the big box stores that opened up in JC. Good for them. If you can?t find something at Lowes or Home Depot they WILL have it!

Posted on: 2014/12/16 19:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017