Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Accident 1st and Manila
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I agree. But what about cars swerving around pot holes? Pedestrians never watch out for that. I've noticed a lot more pot holes recently and I'm worried about a repeat of last winter's nightmare of holes on every street. Even as a pedestrian (I walk and drive) I have to be careful when crossing the street.

Posted on: 2014/12/17 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
I used to walk across this intersection as well as 2nd and Marin a fair bit. My sense was that the typical driver up or down Marin tends to exceed the speed limit and is often oblivious of the "stop for pedestrian" signage and other signals.

THIS. No one seems to understand that pedestrians have the right of way at an uncontrolled intersection or crosswalk.

Quote:

I had a few exchanges with drivers who would honk, yell or glare if I would attempt to walk across Marin using the crosswalk in full view of the "stop for pedestrian" signage.

THIS TOO. I have had my fair share of exchanges. Drivers do not care. Especially the ones that are simply going through JC on their way somewhere else. The Marin Blvd traffic is often people heading into the city, or leaving JC to jump on the turnpike or 1/9. I wish cops would step up enforcement of the "yield to pedestrians" violations, just like they have stepped up enforcement of the no left turn at Marin (from Columbus).

I've had my fair share of pedestrians who ignore the traffic signals.

Totally true. But, that does not IN ANY WAY invalidate the point that was being made that drivers in JC (local and non-local) drive very aggressively and with little regard for pedestrians or traffic laws.

It puts that point into context. The original post implied that pedestrians are always the victims. That post showed this is not the case, and there are many pedestrians who put themselves in harms way.

Bottom line seems to be many do not care about the traffic laws on either side of the car.

Posted on: 2014/12/17 4:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
I used to walk across this intersection as well as 2nd and Marin a fair bit. My sense was that the typical driver up or down Marin tends to exceed the speed limit and is often oblivious of the "stop for pedestrian" signage and other signals.

THIS. No one seems to understand that pedestrians have the right of way at an uncontrolled intersection or crosswalk.

Quote:

I had a few exchanges with drivers who would honk, yell or glare if I would attempt to walk across Marin using the crosswalk in full view of the "stop for pedestrian" signage.

THIS TOO. I have had my fair share of exchanges. Drivers do not care. Especially the ones that are simply going through JC on their way somewhere else. The Marin Blvd traffic is often people heading into the city, or leaving JC to jump on the turnpike or 1/9. I wish cops would step up enforcement of the "yield to pedestrians" violations, just like they have stepped up enforcement of the no left turn at Marin (from Columbus).

Totally true. But, that does not IN ANY WAY invalidate the point that was being made that drivers in JC (local and non-local) drive very aggressively and with little regard for pedestrians or traffic laws.

Posted on: 2014/12/17 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:
Just to clarify - no pedestrian involvement in the accident I witnessed. Leave it to JCList :) Yes, there are problems with yielding to pedestrians in the city but this was not one of those cases.

No one claimed, or insinuated, that pedestrians were involved. The point both of us made is that vehicles have a REALLY BAD habit of speeding in the vicinity of where this accident took place. It is not much of a stretch to believe, or assume, that the accident happened because one, or both, of the vehicles involved were traveling above the speed limit. Obviously, someone failed to obey one or more traffic rules. After all, there's a STOP sign at that intersection.

Posted on: 2014/12/17 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
i'm not saying it's a bad thing but isn't that always the case - maybe they get points for responding to an event?

overwhelming force JIC?

Posted on: 2014/12/17 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I saw the aftermath passing by. Not that there's really an issue with people responding, but my first thought was that there were way too many responders. Again, it's great that we can get an ambulance to the scene of an accident, but by the time I strolled by, no one was in either vehicle, but a THIRD ambulance was pulling up to the scene, to add to the multiple cop cars as well. I don't know if the fire truck I saw turn the corner towards that area was going there as well, but man... that's a lot of gov't paycheck for what seemed like overkill.

Posted on: 2014/12/17 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
we all have to be alert and pay attention, motorists and pedestrians. I do not drive over 20mph around JC - this is my town, and my child and my neighbors walk around here. but there are those, as described, just passing thru - and they don't care.

I do agree that there should be enforcement on jaywalking

Quote:

2wheels wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:

Quote:

And that has to do what exactly with people behind the wheel of 4,000 pound weapons speeding through crosswalks where pedestrians have the right of way?

Posted on: 2014/12/17 2:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/23 18:40
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:

Quote:

And that has to do what exactly with people behind the wheel of 4,000 pound weapons speeding through crosswalks where pedestrians have the right of way?

Posted on: 2014/12/17 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2014/12/16 21:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Just to clarify - no pedestrian involvement in the accident I witnessed. Leave it to JCList :) Yes, there are problems with yielding to pedestrians in the city but this was not one of those cases.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2014/12/16 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

third_street_hats wrote:
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:
ANOTHER accident at this intersection. Probably around 11:15/11:30ish. I drove past after the fact, looked like an Animal Control truck had T-boned a passenger car that was crossing Manila on 1st. Looked pretty bad, driver of car was trapped. I called 911 once I was able to safely pull over. Hope everyone is okay.

Part of it I think is just typical Jersey driving nonchalance and a sensibility that cars come before pedestrians. And that kind of thinking often means higher odds of t-bone collisions.

Most drivers seem to ignore the "stop for pedestrian" signage. A while back they put up those signs in all the intersections of Jersey Ave. Most people stopped initially but, as time went on, it went back to the old routine. I noticed most of those signs are gone now.

This. How much could these signs possibly cost? I'm unclear as to if they're being moved from location to location and why they can't simply be left semi-permanently in targeted areas.

For what it's worth, I've seen a few that were broken and pushed off to the side of the road. Not sure if they've been hit by cars but it wouldn't really surprise me.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/12 22:36
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:
ANOTHER accident at this intersection. Probably around 11:15/11:30ish. I drove past after the fact, looked like an Animal Control truck had T-boned a passenger car that was crossing Manila on 1st. Looked pretty bad, driver of car was trapped. I called 911 once I was able to safely pull over. Hope everyone is okay.

Part of it I think is just typical Jersey driving nonchalance and a sensibility that cars come before pedestrians. And that kind of thinking often means higher odds of t-bone collisions.

Most drivers seem to ignore the "stop for pedestrian" signage. A while back they put up those signs in all the intersections of Jersey Ave. Most people stopped initially but, as time went on, it went back to the old routine. I noticed most of those signs are gone now.

This. How much could these signs possibly cost? I'm unclear as to if they're being moved from location to location and why they can't simply be left semi-permanently in targeted areas.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/16 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/16 17:18

Accident 1st and Manila
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/16 17:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017