Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hudson's assignment judge impatient on purchasing land for new ($400 mil) courthouse
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yes, I see I did, I also used the time to complain about the helicopters since Santos is the mayor of Kearny and the County Clerk. He looked embarrassed. The freeholders said they passed a resolution against the helicopters.

They can pass 20, or 100. It will not change a thing. The ONLY governmental entity with the power to implement changes to air traffic is the FEDERAL government. The passing of resolutions and the posturing by politicians is just theater to appease their constituencies. If they are serious about seeing change implemented, they need to get in front of the regional FAA director, as well as the other FAA administrators in Washington, DC.

You are correct, but it was nice seeing Santos embarrassed. Perhaps, JC residents should attend a Kearny council meeting and complain about the helicopters. The residents there hear nothing because it is in a 'no fly over zone.'

Why would the mayor of Kearny care what residents of Jersey City think?

Posted on: 2014/12/15 14:01
Dos A Cero

Re: Hudson's assignment judge impatient on purchasing land for new ($400 mil) courthouse
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yes, I see I did, I also used the time to complain about the helicopters since Santos is the mayor of Kearny and the County Clerk. He looked embarrassed. The freeholders said they passed a resolution against the helicopters.

They can pass 20, or 100. It will not change a thing. The ONLY governmental entity with the power to implement changes to air traffic is the FEDERAL government. The passing of resolutions and the posturing by politicians is just theater to appease their constituencies. If they are serious about seeing change implemented, they need to get in front of the regional FAA director, as well as the other FAA administrators in Washington, DC.

You are correct, but it was nice seeing Santos embarrassed. Perhaps, JC residents should attend a Kearny council meeting and complain about the helicopters. The residents there hear nothing because it is in a 'no fly over zone.'

Posted on: 2014/12/13 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/13 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/12 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Yvonne you made the JJ....

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... garage_and_land_swap.html

Interesting JJ comment..

Quote:

$50 million for the few empty lots and run down buildings across from the current courthouse? What is this a joke? Ok it?s time to play ?Who WILL be a millionaire?. Johnny can you please call out the contestants names.

22-24 COOK ST. GONCALVES, ANTONIO
28 COOK ST PARKING AUTHORITY OF JERSEY CITY
608-610 NEWARK AVE. LAWYERS GUILD % CAROL MAURER
606 NEWARK AVE. LAWYERS GUILD % CAROL MAURER
604 NEWARK AVE. 600 NEWARK AV.INC.C/O CAROL MAURER
600-602 NEWARK AVE. 600 NEWARK AV.INC. % CAROL MAURER
11 OAKLAND AVE. 600 NEWARK AV.INC.C/O CAROL MAURER
13 OAKLAND AVE. ST. MARY DEVELOPERS, LLC
21 OAKLAND AVE. M & H DEVELOPERS,LLC
27-29 OAKLAND AVE 5-11 COLES STREET LLC
33 OAKLAND AVE JERSEY CITY PARKING AUTHORITY
37 OAKLAND AVE. JERSEY CITY PARKING AUTHORITY
41 OAKLAND AVE. NAKHLA, MAGDY
43 OAKLAND AVE. NAKHLA, MAGDY

(I couldn?t get the ones on Hoboken Ave )

So 50 million divided by around 20 properties?WOW nice pay day. Oh yeah and Guarani owns all of the property fronting Newark Ave. Hmm what a coincidence him making millions off of lots that are needed for a new court house.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the bad news Yvonne.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
First, upon entering the building, the security asked for ID from everyone. However to return to your point, there were two different bonds, one for $160 million, that bond is to build a new county vocational school in Secaucus. Between state funds and selling of land that the present school sits on, taxpayers will pay 40% of costs.
The second bond was for the purchase of land for the courthouse and the purchase of land for a park in Secaucus. That bond is for $50 million. It involves some Green Acres money for the park. I suggested the freeholders break own the payment of debt by municipality. They actually liked that idea.
There is a mortgage still on the present Administration building that will be paid off in 2016. The county took out a mortgage to "fix" the building but the problems are too numerous.
The new courthouse is suppose to separate prisoners from jurors and witnesses which is a problem now.
I made the suggestion to use one of the lots at County Plaza for a courthouse but the freeholders want the Courthouse to remain in the area.
It is obvious taxes will rise and I am tired of JC exempting new housing from this debt.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What happened last night? Anybody, know.

I don't know why we need a new courthouse. I'm a lawyer and the number of cases pending in court today seem like maybe only half at best that there were twenty years ago (except for in Family Court where it has been steady or maybe increased).

Also, if you need to build, use the gigantic parking lot where the old jail was.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree there is a need for a new courthouse, paying for it is the problem. I hope Fulop is listening because those tax abate buildings he is putting on line will not get a bill.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
....... Government buildings in JSQ makes sense bc the city should be promoting mass transit use for employees. .......

Yes it does... ..but most of the courts employees live outside of JC and HC. Remember how the judge changed the working hours of the court because he was worried commuting employees wouldn't be able to get to work on time during the Pulaski shutdown.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
why not move the county court to martin luther king boulevard/hub. maybe increased government presence would help cut down on crime there

because there is no good mass transit option to the hub which is why its in bad shape to begin with. Government buildings in JSQ makes sense bc the city should be promoting mass transit use for employees. Thats not an option that far south.

Also, is there any evidence to prove a courthouse necessarily reduces crime?

Posted on: 2014/12/11 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
why not move the county court to martin luther king boulevard/hub. maybe increased government presence would help cut down on crime there

Posted on: 2014/12/11 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
$50.5 million bond ordinance to buy land for new Hudson County courthouse and other projects

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
December 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM

The Hudson County Board of Freeholders will vote tomorrow on final passage of a $50.5 million bond ordinance to pay for moving the county DPW garage, buy land for park space and purchase land in Jersey City for a new county courthouse.

The new courthouse is to be built in Jersey City on the portion of land bounded by Newark Avenue, Oakland Avenue, Cook Street and Route 139. An official said the $53 million would provide sufficient funds to buy all the land and buildings needed to replace the antiquated Hudson County Administration Building on Newark Avenue in Jersey City, which houses the Superior Court.

Jersey City Councilman Richard Boggiano has been a vocal opponent of locating the courthouse at the location, saying he would like to see the area developed and used to increase city taxable properties.

Read more:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rojects.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/12/11 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Mao that was a good post. I think his paragraph down below is disgusting. The guy lives in Milburn to boot.

"You have the absolute right to get that property ... You have the absolute right to condemn all the other properties. So I don't understand why we are talking about how we are going to get that other property. There is nothing that inhibits you. "

I have not yet been able to find a link that has the 4 courthouse options.

Posted on: 2014/9/11 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Respectfully, Your Honor. The County does not have an "absolute right" to seize five acres north of the current court house which would result in taking good property in an area rapidly redeveloping and making it non taxable.

The law of eminent domain actually requires two things: taking for a public purpose; and that the public taking is necessary. See State v. Lanza 48 362.

Again, respectfully, seizing land is not necessary. There is already a huge public parcel adjacent to the Administration (where the jail had been) and which is used as parking now. Build it there if you must. (But as I said, better to rehab the exisiting building and, pace to Yvonne, on another post who said she was afraid of prisoners being transported when she was on jury duty. This was the norm in every courthouse prior to say 1990 when a state wide building binge of ugly huge courthouses all over the state took place. And come to think of it, I can never remember a single incident where a member of the public was menaced let alone injured by a prisoner being taken to court. The fact is that civil dockets are way way down due to tort reform. It is true that family court has probably greatly increased. But that does not require an entirely new building.
Print PDF - West Reporter version Print and Email Quick Print to attached printer Print Email Download Export to Case Notebook Other delivery options menu

KeyCite History

State by McLean v. Lanza
48 N.J.Super. 362, 137 A.2d 622
N.J.Super.L. 1958.

. So instead of ratables in what is finally an improving area, the project will cost the County probably 100 million when all is done and said (if not more) and then will preclude income from that area in perpetuity.

And for

Posted on: 2014/9/11 13:35

Hudson's assignment judge impatient on purchasing land for new ($400 mil) courthouse
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(didn't the County portion of our taxes just go up?)

Hudson's assignment judge impatient on purchasing land for new courthouse
By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
on September 10, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Hudson County Assignment Judge Peter Bariso let his impatience show as the Hudson County Freeholders discussed the purchase of a $9 million parcel of land on the block where the new county justice complex is to be built.

"I am confused why this county does not believe it can get the property; nothing is stopping the county from getting the property on that block," Bariso said of the block to be acquired to replace the outdated and inadequate Hudson County Administration Building in Jersey City.

"You have the absolute right to get that property ... You have the absolute right to condemn all the other properties. So I don't understand why we are talking about how we are going to get that other property. There is nothing that inhibits you. "

JJ piece?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... e_impat.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/9/11 1:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017