Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
162 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/6 17:13
Group:
Registered Users
Here's an interesting article on Whole Foods from last month's Washington Post.
WF is changing their perceived demographics. And expanding.

"Whole Foods has 402 stores. But it?s aiming for 1,200,
an impossible number if the company targets only the high-income markets it?s already entered."

Washington Post from Nov 14th

Posted on: 2014/12/12 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The redevelopment plan from last month would seem to indicate that, although there will be retail on the ground floor-so I guess we'll see.

Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I don't differ often from Bodipooh, as I don't think the Shop Rite on Marin is bad at all. And while some would say that a WF going into Newark shows it can be done, it's just not going to happen here.

The Shop Rite location is being leased by the supermarket, right? With the value of that land climbing, Shop Rite's days (at least in its current form) are numbered.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I don't differ often from Bodipooh, as I don't think the Shop Rite on Marin is bad at all. And while some would say that a WF going into Newark shows it can be done, it's just not going to happen here.

The Shop Rite location is being leased by the supermarket, right? With the value of that land climbing, Shop Rite's days (at least in its current form) are numbered.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The family group that owns the JC Shop Rite also owns the Bayonne store, which is pretty nice and was renovated not too long ago. (They are also a family owned company, one of the top 500 private business in the USA). I shop equally between the two for staples/sales.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
i like the shoprite. yesterday, i got into a discussion with a man in a manhattan supermarket over which is better the hoboken or jersey city shoprite. he takes the path over to do major grocery shopping. you can't beat the selection and prices!wf is way overhyped imo.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
i like the shoprite. yesterday, i got into a discussion with a man in a manhattan supermarket over which is better the hoboken or jersey city shoprite. he takes the path over to do major grocery shopping. you can't beat the selection and prices!wf is way overhyped imo.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/12 10:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Besides, last I checked, we live in a capitalist democracy

Actually, we live in a republic.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

They did look at Hoboken/Jersey City but could not find a good location yet (according to company spokesman Mr. Sinatra). A main factor affecting good location imo is accessibility. I wouldn't build a WF here unless I could plop it somewhere on Columbus.

I truly don't want to beat a dead horse (this debate has been going on for a very long time!) but shut down the POS Pathmark; plenty of existing parking, already set up for a grocery store and is accessible by car to people that drive (next to the high way), accessible to people by light rail (by the hospital). That area is in some dire need of rehab and an anchor such as WF will assist with just that.

bwahahaha....! Keep dreaming, or smoking. There is no way that WF is going to move into the Old Colony strip mall. You think WF wants to go into a spot nestled in between a low-class liquor store and a ghetto chinese takeout joint, with a McDonalds across the parking lot???

Besides, last I checked, we live in a capitalist democracy... you can't just shut down some lawful business because it upsets your sensibilities. If you don't like Pathmark, STFU and go shop somewhere else. For some of us, that Pathmark is a marked improvement over the blight that is Shoprite. Less crowded, less yelling/screaming from the patrons, and fairly good stock and prices.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

They did look at Hoboken/Jersey City but could not find a good location yet (according to company spokesman Mr. Sinatra). A main factor affecting good location imo is accessibility. I wouldn't build a WF here unless I could plop it somewhere on Columbus.

I truly don't want to beat a dead horse (this debate has been going on for a very long time!) but shut down the POS Pathmark; plenty of existing parking, already set up for a grocery store and is accessible by car to people that drive (next to the high way), accessible to people by light rail (by the hospital). That area is in some dire need of rehab and an anchor such as WF will assist with just that.
pathmark can not be simply shut down...wf or some developer would have to buy the pathmark site, buy out the lease

Posted on: 2014/12/12 3:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/12/11 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
I don't understand Whole Foods at all. They are opening a store in Downtown Newark and there is no store in JC?
Doesn't make sense to me. What kind of demographics are they looking at?

Posted on: 2014/12/11 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
I don't understand Whole Foods at all. They are opening a store in Downtown Newark and there is no store in JC?

So Newark is getting a store - get over it. I'm surprised people haven't realized that the point of the Newark store is similar to the one Whole Foods opened in downtown Detroit while the city was in the throes of bankruptcy. They did it more as a political statement and for the PR benefits of appearing to be a good corporate citizen. Slate did a good article on WF's Detroit experiment.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/fo ... t_elitism_racism_and.html

Posted on: 2014/12/11 19:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/11 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
so if we have established that the thing that people hate about shoprite is the people in there (who presumably are from this area... I doubt people travel very far to go there)

They are not from this area.

yes, they are. i've been going there since they opened in what... 95? the entire neighborhood shops there: from people in the nearby condos to the semi-projects across the street. people ride the light rail to it from other neighborhoods.

people who have been in jersey city for most of their lives (something that a lot of people in this thread sure as hell can't claim) shop there.

i have no problems with the people who shop at shoprite. or the workers. i can count on one hand the number of incidents i've ever seen or experienced.

here's a little pro tip about life. if you seem to be surrounded by assholes all the time, there's a real good chance that you're the asshole.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 4:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i question if jc government really wants development...look how long it takes to open some of these small restaurants on newark avenue. i could see an apple store in hoboken way before jc.

also, the planning process with all the focus on cars and garages needs to stop...

Posted on: 2014/12/11 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
If you could get some of the Williamsburg trustafarians to move here with their knit caps and hand rolled organic cigarettes maybe you could get a TJ's or a WF's here.

Quote:

You are talking to the wrong guy, I am not a fan of Whole foods, its pretentious and not a great value. They are where they are suppose to be in BK.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you could get some of the Williamsburg trustafarians to move here with their knit caps and hand rolled organic cigarettes maybe you could get a TJ's or a WF's here.

Quote:

Posted on: 2014/12/10 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I own quite a few shares of WF stocks and they are not doing well, and I doubt they would open a store here in shifty city... when the stock is plummeting.

Shifty city? I'm glad you have the money to buy WF stocks. People should emotionally invest in JC and not keep knocking it down. If people don't like it here, what is keeping you here?

Posted on: 2014/12/10 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Maybe if we sign a petition we can get a Buy N Large here. Someone I know knows someone who got something there.

Also, why an Apple store? Wouldn't a place that sold a wide variety of fuits and vegetables be preferable, and mightn't an Apple store keep doctors' offices away.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/10 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
On a recent trip to Shop Rite I saw the fish guy go to the freezer case, take out a bag of shrimp and dump it onto the shrimp behind the glass. Didn't follow up, but I wonder if you pay a premium for the shrimp out of the bag and the personal service. You can't buy 1/2 pound bags or 6 shrimp per diner, for example, from a bag.

As far as the crowds and the hubbub - if you think of these as elements of the diversity many say they love about Jersey City, maybe it would seem more acceptable.

Posted on: 2014/10/19 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
so if we have established that the thing that people hate about shoprite is the people in there (who presumably are from this area... I doubt people travel very far to go there)

They are not from this area.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
so if we have established that the thing that people hate about shoprite is the people in there (who presumably are from this area... I doubt people travel very far to go there) and the people who park in the lot what does it matter if its a shop rite, a whole foods, a trader joes or whatever?
if its the people who are a$$holes not the food there that is bad then what does it matter what brand store it is? I guess what "you" are really saying is that you want it to be really expensive so the poors can't shop there?

And if you honestly can't run into shoprite and grab a steak and pay for it without getting into some sort of fight then I have to wonder about you since I have done it for the almost decade I have lived here (after giving up on the bad produce/fish & meat that is found at A&P) - I agree that the store use to be dirty but I don't find it to be that way now

Everyone hates the very high volume of people who shop at Shoprite. A bit ironic, kind of like no one drives in NYC due to all the traffic.

With that said, the parking lot is laid out in an atrocious manner. Presumably a newer store would have a modernized layout to avoid the chaos of that lot. But you're right, unless many people were priced out, presumably a new brand store would have the same volume problems. Unless its square footage was much higher.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
so if we have established that the thing that people hate about shoprite is the people in there (who presumably are from this area... I doubt people travel very far to go there) and the people who park in the lot what does it matter if its a shop rite, a whole foods, a trader joes or whatever?
if its the people who are a$$holes not the food there that is bad then what does it matter what brand store it is? I guess what "you" are really saying is that you want it to be really expensive so the poors can't shop there?

And if you honestly can't run into shoprite and grab a steak and pay for it without getting into some sort of fight then I have to wonder about you since I have done it for the almost decade I have lived here (after giving up on the bad produce/fish & meat that is found at A&P) - I agree that the store use to be dirty but I don't find it to be that way now

Posted on: 2014/10/16 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

What can I say? I feel your pain! I try to follow a pescatarian diet, and I just don't feel like we have any good fish options in town. Several people here have said that Shoprite is decent for fish, but I rue my every visit there, so I just get my fish needs fulfilled at WF (in Tribeca on my way home, or Millburn on weekends) and sometimes get some of the frozen stuff from TJs. We definitely need a decent fishmonger in town. A business like that would do some serious business by virtue of being the only one.

About the PH elementary, I have heard great things about it. I don't have any elementary school aged kids, but it is good to know for when people ask. But, I do have question (thread hijack alert...): I had heard that some kids were no longer guaranteed a spot there due to overcrowding. Is that not true? Or, perhaps no longer the case? IIRC, kids that were sent elsewhere only had to do that for a year. Any information would be great. Thanks!

yes i find shoprite to have the best quality seafood among the 3 supermarkets around here..surprisingly. But I dont like shopping there, too much pushing/yelling and always packed with people bumping into each other. I sometime goto BJs for seafood, as sad as that sounds.

With regards to ps16 school, i actually asked the exact same question and one of the school board member was nice enough to answer - PreK is lottery based but K-5th is guaranteed as long as you live in the school zone which goes up to and include 2nd street (greatschool has a good zoning map). So anything further north include newport is out of luck.

Quote:

Good lord. Do you have any other First World problems you'd like to discuss?

"I had to look at poor people while I bought my Belgian Tilapia!"

Let me understand this, you come into a thread titled whole food and complain about people discussing first world problems? This whole forum is about first world problems so what's your point? Get off your high horse.

The point is that there's a strong tendency around here to wish away the realities of where we live and reimagine it as a lower-cost Tribeca, expressing shock that everyone doesn't understand what a utopia DTJC is. If Whole Foods thinks they can make a profit here, they'll build one here. If they don't, they won't. If that's not satisfactory to anyone, they can move, establish their own store or find somewhere else to shop. Carping about how crappy Shop Rite is accomplishes nothing.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

What can I say? I feel your pain! I try to follow a pescatarian diet, and I just don't feel like we have any good fish options in town. Several people here have said that Shoprite is decent for fish, but I rue my every visit there, so I just get my fish needs fulfilled at WF (in Tribeca on my way home, or Millburn on weekends) and sometimes get some of the frozen stuff from TJs. We definitely need a decent fishmonger in town. A business like that would do some serious business by virtue of being the only one.

About the PH elementary, I have heard great things about it. I don't have any elementary school aged kids, but it is good to know for when people ask. But, I do have question (thread hijack alert...): I had heard that some kids were no longer guaranteed a spot there due to overcrowding. Is that not true? Or, perhaps no longer the case? IIRC, kids that were sent elsewhere only had to do that for a year. Any information would be great. Thanks!

yes i find shoprite to have the best quality seafood among the 3 supermarkets around here..surprisingly. But I dont like shopping there, too much pushing/yelling and always packed with people bumping into each other. I sometime goto BJs for seafood, as sad as that sounds.

With regards to ps16 school, i actually asked the exact same question and one of the school board member was nice enough to answer - PreK is lottery based but K-5th is guaranteed as long as you live in the school zone which goes up to and include 2nd street (greatschool has a good zoning map). So anything further north include newport is out of luck.

Quote:

Let me understand this, you come into a thread titled whole food and complain about people discussing first world problems? This whole forum is about first world problems so what's your point? Get off your high horse.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I get that the convenience of one-stop shopping is important (especially if you're carting kids), but there are some smaller shops that could be good options - Moloney's for meats. Lee's for vegetables. And isn't it better to support a local business than some corporate behemoth?

Posted on: 2014/10/16 16:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Pssssst. The Hoboken Shop Rite has a better fish department - and you get to miss all the craziness that is the JC location. And if you're coming home via the 33rd Street PATH, Citarella sits right atop the 9th Street station.

The whole point is that I shouldn't have to plan to go to Hoboken or to the City to buy groceries. Access to healthful, fresh food should not be too much to ask of a large "up and coming" urban environment.

That's not what he said at all. He was talking about travel time.

Nice straw man argument, though.

Exactly. The dearth of good supermarkets in the area is a problem. Call it First World Problems, but it is still a problem. Yes, we are fortunate that we have NYC right next door and therefore have access to good places. And, as others have and will point out, many such locations are right next to PATH stations (WF on 24th and 7th Ave, TJs on 22nd and 6th, Fairway on 25th and 6th, WF in Tribeca, next to WTC, Citarella on 9th and 6th, etc) but for an "up and coming" area, with so many newcomers in the upper income brackets, JC is astoundingly lacking in access to superior grocery stores.

My point exactly. If I decide on a Saturday morning to cook fish or steak for dinner, I shouldn't have to go into the city or drive to Edgewater, Hoboken, Bayonne etc to go to a decent supermarket. Unfortunately, access to decent healthful food (other than the farmer's market) is abysmal in JC. This isn't a third world vs first world problem. It's just a simple problem that has a simple solution. Instead of expanding just restaurant row, our fearless leaders need to put some thought into urban planning and plan for things like schools, public transit, grocers, churches, hospitals etc

Posted on: 2014/10/16 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Pssssst. The Hoboken Shop Rite has a better fish department - and you get to miss all the craziness that is the JC location. And if you're coming home via the 33rd Street PATH, Citarella sits right atop the 9th Street station.

The whole point is that I shouldn't have to plan to go to Hoboken or to the City to buy groceries. Access to healthful, fresh food should not be too much to ask of a large "up and coming" urban environment.

Exactly. The dearth of good supermarkets in the area is a problem. Call it First World Problems, but it is still a problem. Yes, we are fortunate that we have NYC right next door and therefore have access to good places. And, as others have and will point out, many such locations are right next to PATH stations (WF on 24th and 7th Ave, TJs on 22nd and 6th, Fairway on 25th and 6th, WF in Tribeca, next to WTC, Citarella on 9th and 6th, etc) but for an "up and coming" area, with so many newcomers in the upper income brackets, JC is astoundingly lacking in access to superior grocery stores.

Posted on: 2014/10/16 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/16 15:17

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017