Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Students at Jersey City high school: Spate of violence is related to race
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
You could probably dig up articles from December 1914 and the only major difference would be Jews, Italians, Poles, etc. instead of Blacks, Hispanics, etc. Maybe the weapons were less lethal, maybe not.

That's just pure speculation. In any event, one thing that is certain is that those Jews, Italians, Poles, etc., would at least be able to run academic circles around the current day thugs at Dickinson.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Well I believe the entrance to this basement area is a door smaller then the size of an average door frame if I had to guess off memory it was 5'6 or 5'8 high on the east side of the basement between one of the classrooms and auto shop. It led into an area that is below the empty space in the center of the building. But since the basement hallways aren't connected like the rest of the building I assume it goes even further into the area the hallway should have continued to. If you remember the Dickinson halls make a big rectangle but the basement is more of a horse shoe shape.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Wow, thanks for the history guys. The building is stunning, I would love to see concerts there.

We never had concerts, proper, there but the dances in what was laughingly referred to as the new building (built in 1933) were great.

It was an actual campus with no parking on the grounds like there is now in the front. The Cannon Mount was not enclosed & we used to hang out there for cigarette (& pray we didn't get caught). Some of the stories I could relate when I was a student were just plain silly & part of those great memories you have.
I always found it interesting how it was still called the "new building" still until this day or also more commonly the "new gym". I'm younger then you are so I'm guessing you had the privilege of using the tunnel that connected the new gym to the main building instead of having to walk to your gym class in the rain or snow? I used to hate going to that building when it was raining and by the time your clothes would dry you had to walk back to the main building because class was over in the rain again lol. I think the tunnel was sealed off in the 80s I was told. Also do you know anything about the basement of the building? I always wanted to explore the parts of the basement that only janitors were mainly aloud. Their were rumors of sections not used in decades that supposedly was haunted. I heard a bomb shelter was in there and a network of more tunnels.

I graduated in 70. Ahh, the infamous tunnell. It went straight from the main building then split into two branches. One went to the cafeteria, gym & music rooms & the other branch went to the pool. Now down in the basement were the girls lockers, boys lockers, girls gym & some shop classes. Never did see places where only the janitors went or heard of any ghost stories :(

Would be fun to explore though.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The site of Dickinson High School was used a hospital during the War of 1812. The reason there is a cemetery across the street. A plaque was place there sometime ago honoring that event. Does anyone know where the plaque went?

Posted on: 2014/12/13 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
HeightsBrat wrote: Quote:
user1111 wrote: Wow, thanks for the history guys. The building is stunning, I would love to see concerts there.
We never had concerts, proper, there but the dances in what was laughingly referred to as the new building (built in 1933) were great. It was an actual campus with no parking on the grounds like there is now in the front. The Cannon Mount was not enclosed & we used to hang out there for cigarette (& pray we didn't get caught). Some of the stories I could relate when I was a student were just plain silly & part of those great memories you have.
I always found it interesting how it was still called the "new building" still until this day or also more commonly the "new gym". I'm younger then you are so I'm guessing you had the privilege of using the tunnel that connected the new gym to the main building instead of having to walk to your gym class in the rain or snow? I used to hate going to that building when it was raining and by the time your clothes would dry you had to walk back to the main building because class was over in the rain again lol. I think the tunnel was sealed off in the 80s I was told. Also do you know anything about the basement of the building? I always wanted to explore the parts of the basement that only janitors were mainly aloud. Their were rumors of sections not used in decades that supposedly was haunted. I heard a bomb shelter was in there and a network of more tunnels.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Wow, thanks for the history guys. The building is stunning, I would love to see concerts there.

We never had concerts, proper, there but the dances in what was laughingly referred to as the new building (built in 1933) were great.

It was an actual campus with no parking on the grounds like there is now in the front. The Cannon Mount was not enclosed & we used to hang out there for cigarette (& pray we didn't get caught). Some of the stories I could relate when I was a student were just plain silly & part of those great memories you have.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/13 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I went to Hoboken High school, in the 1960s, graduated 1966. I have saw no violence. There were people from all economic groups. We knew teachers were in charge. Students were expelled for smoking. Girls got severe warnings and sent home if their skirts were too short. I did attend a football game between Dickinson and Hoboken High. I was appalled how ill mannered Dickinson's students were. Even the Hoboken teachers were appalled by their behavior. I think Dickinson has a history of bad behavior and it follows every generation.
Dickinson is from what I remember the second most populated high school in the state. When I went there I believe it had 3,600 students. I think over crowding plays a big role in why it gets the reputation it does. It can have a lower percentage of problem kids then Snyder, Lincoln or Ferris but do to the fact it has double to triple or more (Snyder i think is under a 1000) the population of the other schools makes it seem like it has more problem kids then it actually does percentage wise.

My late mother-in-law and father-in-law, went to Dickinson before it was named Dickinson. I believe it was the only high school at that time. The school was also overcrowded, my mother-in-law said the school had split sessions to deal with the problem. She went from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Perhaps we should do the same thing, have classes from 7:00 AM to noon and noon to 5:00 PM. We would need to hire more teachers but Dickinson is definitely a problem. I am adding more time because there are more subject matter, originally the split started from 8:00 A.M to noon.

Originally named Jersey City High School, the property was purchased in 1904 and the new building opened on September 6, 1906, in an attempt to relieve overcrowding in the city's public schools. It was the first public secondary school in the city. When the school opened, it housed a 2,000 seat auditorium that saw extensive public use, and hosted such events as a lecture by Helen Keller and political rallies for United States Presidents Taft, Wilson, and Roosevelt. The original school was expanded with the construction of a second building in 1912 to further industrial skills education. This building contained a foundry, print shop, and vocational classrooms. In 1913, the school was renamed William L. Dickinson High School for the superintendent who had advocated for creation of the school during his term from 1872 to 1883. The school was expanded again in 1933 with the addition of an annex containing a swimming pool, cafeteria, and gymnasium.

I graduated DHS in 1970. There was never fighting of this magnitude. Most fights were one on one between kids that just did not get along. We were notorius for setting the grass at the Cannon Mount on fire so we could get an extra break from class. These fires, miraculously, only occurred on sunny, warm days. Hydrogen sulfide in the vents was another favorite way to empty the place out.....QUICK. (We were little stinkers BUT not vicious)

Posted on: 2014/12/13 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I went to Hoboken High school, in the 1960s, graduated 1966. I have saw no violence. There were people from all economic groups. We knew teachers were in charge. Students were expelled for smoking. Girls got severe warnings and sent home if their skirts were too short. I did attend a football game between Dickinson and Hoboken High. I was appalled how ill mannered Dickinson's students were. Even the Hoboken teachers were appalled by their behavior. I think Dickinson has a history of bad behavior and it follows every generation.
Dickinson is from what I remember the second most populated high school in the state. When I went there I believe it had 3,600 students. I think over crowding plays a big role in why it gets the reputation it does. It can have a lower percentage of problem kids then Snyder, Lincoln or Ferris but do to the fact it has double to triple or more (Snyder i think is under a 1000) the population of the other schools makes it seem like it has more problem kids then it actually does percentage wise.

My late mother-in-law and father-in-law, went to Dickinson before it was named Dickinson. I believe it was the only high school at that time. The school was also overcrowded, my mother-in-law said the school had split sessions to deal with the problem. She went from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Perhaps we should do the same thing, have classes from 7:00 AM to noon and noon to 5:00 PM. We would need to hire more teachers but Dickinson is definitely a problem. I am adding more time because there are more subject matter, originally the split started from 8:00 A.M to noon.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/13 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/12 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
You could probably dig up articles from December 1914 and the only major difference would be Jews, Italians, Poles, etc. instead of Blacks, Hispanics, etc. Maybe the weapons were less lethal, maybe not.

Good point - both my parents (Irish and Polish-American respectively) had similar stories. I think we need to be honest and push the parallel further, and point out this historically has happened in neighborhoods of working and non-working people, often marginalized by the dominant culture, their parents left to fight over whatever economic benefit has trickled down, the kids left to contend with race/culture-based peer pressure on top of all the other hassles of being a teenager.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/12/11 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think the kids say it's 'racism', but that it's race based.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 11:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
really sad that these students would rather fight oer race than over who can get the higher SAT scores!
From my experience these brawls have to do with rival gangs and neighborhoods not really race. It's been the same few gangs/groups fighting for more then a decade. Not only Dickinson but Ferris as well.

This quote is right from the article:

"Students also spoke about some of the violence being gang-related, but reiterated that the fighting always seems to break down among racial lines.

?They are targeting people because of their race,? said a 15-year-old student."
I'm not saying that someone didn't say that what I am saying is it isn't really the case even when SOME of the students believe that. I clearly remember some students saying that back when I went there as well. The kids not directly involved with the rival gangs would sometimes claim they were jumped by a group because they were the wrong nationality when the truth behind the matter was they were jumped because they were cool with the wrong kids. For example when I went there the Dominican gang hung out on Palisades by the parking lot entrance across from Hudson Gardens and the project crews and Bloods towards the entrance of Hudson Gardens on Newark Ave. Now if their is a gang war going on and a rival remembers seeing you spending your lunch at a rival location and around the rival gang conversating you might as well be one of them because when they catch you alone they are going to treat you as one. Some kids can't figure that out so claim racism and then the racist rumors spread amongst the kids that don't know any better.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 5:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
really sad that these students would rather fight oer race than over who can get the higher SAT scores!
From my experience these brawls have to do with rival gangs and neighborhoods not really race. It's been the same few gangs/groups fighting for more then a decade. Not only Dickinson but Ferris as well.

This quote is right from the article:

"Students also spoke about some of the violence being gang-related, but reiterated that the fighting always seems to break down among racial lines.

?They are targeting people because of their race,? said a 15-year-old student."

Posted on: 2014/12/11 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/11 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Star Ledger/nj.com are hardly racist-so is reporting the facts racist?

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Typical all the racist come out like roaches when you turn on the light.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Actually it looks like they are in Dickinson High School.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/10 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The numbers are unreal. 20 students arrested at Dickinson in the last 5 weeks? And the kids being hurt are the kids who do want to learn.

Nice beginning to getting your rap sheet started, kids.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
That article needs to be rewritten. It says blacks and Hispanics are violently fighting each other.

It's 2014, we all know that the white man is somehow responsible. I await the revised article which explains the truth.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/10 20:02

Students at Jersey City high school: Spate of violence is related to race
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY ? Tensions are high among students at Jersey City?s Dickinson High School as violent clashes between groups of students continue at an increasing rate.

Four students were arrested on Monday, bringing the total to 10 in less than a week. All of the arrests have been related to fights and all involved weapons, police said.

Since Nov. 3, at least 21 people ? 20 of them being Dickinson students ? have been charged in five reported incidents.

Patrick McGovern | The Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2014/12/10 19:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017