Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Package thief on Varick St
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/9 3:01
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, apparently they followed the guys after receiving the video I sent them. Didn't take the thieves long to steal a few more packages, so they were caught red handed. Detective Lopez at the 7th St Precint should be able to help if you suspect your stuff was taken. He did mention a sweater being stolen too.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scrappe7 wrote:
I thought about something similar to the poop trap but opted for a less interesting decoy package and camera setup this morning. Got the 2 guys on video walking by, quickly returning and opening our gate. They took the package and walked right out. I was watching it live from my cell phone. Called JCPD and emailed the detective a few short videos and some still photos. PD alerted patrols and they got the guys within 3 hours. Looks like they even got someone else's sweater during the day.

Overall, impressed by JCPD and hope we don't have to worry about our mail for a while.

Look at that, good on you for following the advice here and doing something about this situation. I hope they throw those losers in jail for a while.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 16:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/14 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
My building had multiple packages stolen over this week. A cop stopped by yesterday because they had caught the guy and returned some of the stolen stuff that was still in the boxes. I didn't speak directly to the officer but if you want to follow up if you were affected then contact the 7th St. precinct

Posted on: 2014/12/12 16:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/1 21:19
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
cops did NOTHING about this guy who entered a building in journal square and then dumped the baby clothes in the trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7fshtSXgRY

Posted on: 2014/12/11 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

scrappe7 wrote:
I thought about something similar to the poop trap but opted for a less interesting decoy package and camera setup this morning. Got the 2 guys on video walking by, quickly returning and opening our gate. They took the package and walked right out. I was watching it live from my cell phone. Called JCPD and emailed the detective a few short videos and some still photos. PD alerted patrols and they got the guys within 3 hours. Looks like they even got someone else's sweater during the day.

Overall, impressed by JCPD and hope we don't have to worry about our mail for a while.

Awesome!!

Posted on: 2014/12/11 20:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/11 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Woman leaves box with dog feces on porch for package thief

Andrea Hutzler left the stinky surprise from her pets after multiple packages were taken from outside her home over the past two months. A man was filmed swiping the box, but not his reaction when he opened the putrid parcel.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime ... e-thief-article-1.2041585

Posted on: 2014/12/11 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Leave a nicely wrapped package of poop. In the meantime though, keep an eye out for a white dude, wears glasses and has a tiny teardrop tattoo at the corner of each eye. He is maybe 5'11", 180 lbs and is fairly savvy at passing himself off as a delivery person. A couple years ago I ran into him outside my residence moments after he, unbeknownst to me at the time, had stolen a small package from my upstairs neighbor. He pretended to be delivering the package but when I said I'd sign he said no it had to be the actual person. He got away that time but I saw him a couple of weeks later exiting Target with a bag of shoplifted items. I followed him to Home Depot and then flagged down a cop who busted him with his cache of stolen things. About 6 months later I saw him back in the area walking around and trying to sell things that he probably stole. I believe his name is Nick.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Numerous posts have suggested getting a cheap surveillance camera. Maybe you should do that.

Once you have them on video you can send it to the police and possibly send it to the news. It beats doing literally nothing except repeating the same cycle over and over.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 3:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well they got another one today. Amazon told UPS to require a signature, they decided not to, and left it outside around noon. Came home to an open gate and no package. Luckily Amazon keeps replacing the item, but some thief has 3 of my same items already.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

alastor wrote:
Yes, I am entitled: I'm entitled to receive the packages.

To be blunt, your tipping creates an expectation of reward for carriers to merely DO THEIR JOB. And it is the duty of the postal service to ensure that packages are delivered to their recipient--in fact, it's a matter of federal law.

So, if you want talk about "entitlement" in the pejorative way that you intend, let's talk about your expectation that you should receive exceptional service for tipping a federal employee. But then we're back at the cronyism and the state of exception that you clearly feel entitled to for paying extra. Clearly, you could give a damn about how this deranges a government agency and creates the conditions for corruption and waste that you favor. But that's for another thread.

I used many tactics (including tipping, getting to know my carriers etc.). Nothing worked. Still stolen. One theft was by the UPS driver. Gave up and had everything delivered to my office. And tipping the postal workers got me NOWHERE. Different people over the holiday season while my regular left and those people couldn't have given two sh*ts. Door was often not relocked, mail boxes accidentally forgotten to relock...just a cluster of complete ineptitude.

I have said it many times before: the USPS operation in JC is truly atrocious. The worst I have experienced of all the cities and places where I have lived in the US. No work ethic, apathetic employees, terrible deliveries, etc.

Having said that, I think the solutions are simple. For most important packages, I ship those to my office in NYC. If I want something shipped at home, I try to use UPS. The MyChoice service from UPS (someone mentioned they had to pay for it, but I don't pay for it at all - it has been free for me for the past year or two that I have had it) is SO AWESOME. You register your address and delivery name(s) and the system will alert you as packages are shipped to you (particularly great when something is shipped unbeknownst to you) and will allow you to control how/when your package is delivered. Definitely look into that.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Still no solution in actually solving this problem until something or someone important is affected. In the meantime utilizing a place, someone, or your job is the only full proof method of prevention.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 23:24
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scrappe7 wrote:
Does anyone use the deli on varick and Columbus as a pick up? I'll stop in and ask them, but I hate imposing on a small business.

Generally I'd guess - they won't have a problem if you're a regular.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alastor wrote:

To be blunt, your tipping creates an expectation of reward for carriers to merely DO THEIR JOB. And it is the duty of the postal service to ensure that packages are delivered to their recipient--in fact, it's a matter of federal law.

So, if you want talk about "entitlement" in the pejorative way that you intend, let's talk about your expectation that you should receive exceptional service for tipping a federal employee. But then we're back at the cronyism and the state of exception that you clearly feel entitled to for paying extra. Clearly, you could give a damn about how this deranges a government agency and creates the conditions for corruption and waste that you favor. But that's for another thread.

I used many tactics (including tipping, getting to know my carriers etc.). Nothing worked. Still stolen. One theft was by the UPS driver. Gave up and had everything delivered to my office. And tipping the postal workers got me NOWHERE. Different people over the holiday season while my regular left and those people couldn't have given two sh*ts. Door was often not relocked, mail boxes accidentally forgotten to relock...just a cluster of complete ineptitude.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
a video of the perp can be sent to law enforcement, the media. Also the resolution of the new cameras is pretty good and you hopefully blow up a face shot and do some public shaming.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 18:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So I tried the My UPS and Fedex services but since we just moved we can't get access to control deliveries. You need to have been in the residence for 90 days. Bad timing with Xmas around the corner and trying to do a lot of online shopping.

I will set up a camera, but I don't think it'll deter them. And if they still take my stuff, a video of the perp doesn't bring it back.

Does anyone use the deli on varick and Columbus as a pick up? I'll stop in and ask them, but I hate imposing on a small business.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 17:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/17 5:23
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/9 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scrappe7 wrote:
I've tried using the pick up centers but it's not guaranteed to be held there. Communication with the drivers is questionable unless the sender immediately makes the request, which you can't do from Amazon.

It's a private residence so USPS only had access to a mail slot, no way to get them into the lobby without giving the mailman my house keys.

If you use UPS, you can enroll in the My Choice UPS service. It's $5 a package or you can do an annual membership and they will hold it for you.

As for tipping the mail man, my family always did when I was growing up.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
user1111 has the right idea. Another alternative - if I had that kind of problem - I'd just get packages delivered to a local corner store and pick them up on my way home.

Exactly! When I lived dtjc once upon a time, I use to have all my packages delivered to the old Latin bodega before it became Marco & Pepe and yes I would TIP them for holding the package for me until I got home.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alastor wrote:
Absurd. We should tip a federal employee so he will perform his job according to the regulations he is supposed to follow?

I know the Jersey cronyism mentality runs deep; it's nice to see that some of my fellow citizens think I should be slipping a cash envelope to get reliable and secure delivery service. Isn't that why I pay for postage?

Thanks for setting a horrible precedent.

You're welcome! You're the one with stolen packages . I receive all of mine. To make sure you receive the package is not their job, their job is to deliver the packages they can care two fucks if you got it. . You sound like a an entitled blunt, but that's another thread. Keep going to the post office complaint dept lets see where that gets you. My family have been tipping service people as far as I remember. I tip them for a good job, not for doing their job there is a difference.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 17:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Absurd. We should tip a federal employee so he will perform his job according to the regulations he is supposed to follow?

I know the Jersey cronyism mentality runs deep; it's nice to see that some of my fellow citizens think I should be slipping a cash envelope to get reliable and secure delivery service. Isn't that why I pay for postage?

Thanks for setting a horrible precedent.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
user1111 has the right idea. Another alternative - if I had that kind of problem - I'd just get packages delivered to a local corner store and pick them up on my way home.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alastor wrote:
We have been having a similar problem at a multifamily building on Jersey Ave. Numerous residents have had parcels stolen over the last few months, including myself.

This is due to how the packages are (mis)delivered by the Post Office. Parcel carriers frequently leave items without even ringing the unit, so packages sit in an unsecured vestibule even though a tenet might be home. All a thief has to do is follow the delivery truck and it's Christmas every day.

The postal service has responded with total indifference. I have contact them repeatedly and they do nothing to address the problem. The other day I went down to the 07302 Post Office and asked to speak with a delivery supervisor. After waiting at a barred window for over ten minutes, I was told by a sorter that the supervisors aren't very responsive and I was wasting my time. In other words, the Jersey City Post Office is a caricature of waste, inefficiency, and ineptitude.

My next move is to contact the Office of the Inspector General for the Post Office, but I doubt that is going to have any tangible effect on how the local USPS operation is mishandling our mail.

Get to know your mail carriers, UPS, FEDex, and USPS, I know mine very well. I made sure to introduce myself to them all when I purchased the house.

I get lots of packages due to my business. After purchasing the house I let the mailman know that I was now the new owner..

Most mail carries live in the neighborhoods they work in so they want to make sure they are looking out for you once they know who you are.. My guy lives only a few blocks away.. Also most will disagree, I also tip all of them at the end of the year for a job well done..

I never had a package stolen, my carries have access to leave packages in my alleyway, away from street view..and if by chance a package is left in sight my neighbors will take the package in until I return home.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 16:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We have been having a similar problem at a multifamily building on Jersey Ave. Numerous residents have had parcels stolen over the last few months, including myself.

This is due to how the packages are (mis)delivered by the Post Office. Parcel carriers frequently leave items without even ringing the unit, so packages sit in an unsecured vestibule even though a tenet might be home. All a thief has to do is follow the delivery truck and it's Christmas every day.

The postal service has responded with total indifference. I have contact them repeatedly and they do nothing to address the problem. The other day I went down to the 07302 Post Office and asked to speak with a delivery supervisor. After waiting at a barred window for over ten minutes, I was told by a sorter that the supervisors aren't very responsive and I was wasting my time. In other words, the Jersey City Post Office is a caricature of waste, inefficiency, and ineptitude.

My next move is to contact the Office of the Inspector General for the Post Office, but I doubt that is going to have any tangible effect on how the local USPS operation is mishandling our mail.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
not sure why you don't have surveillance cameras. They are so cheap now.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 16:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've tried using the pick up centers but it's not guaranteed to be held there. Communication with the drivers is questionable unless the sender immediately makes the request, which you can't do from Amazon.

It's a private residence so USPS only had access to a mail slot, no way to get them into the lobby without giving the mailman my house keys.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 16:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/16 4:31
Group:
Registered Users
Well there are two things you can do that have worked for me. If possible, select USPS as the delivery carrier. They usually deliver with the regular mail and most likely have access to the inside of your building where the mail boxes are and will leave the package there.

The second thing you can do is select UPS as your carrier then ask them to deliver the package to the UPS Store in Newport. Then you can pick it up at your convenience.

Outside of those two options I guess you're really at the mercy of how good your luck is. I would imagine anything left outside in plain sight in any big city wouldn't last long before some passerby snagged it.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 15:47

Package thief on Varick St
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In the last few weeks 3 packages on 3 separate deliveries have disappeared on Varick near Montgomery. It's hard to get delivery services to require signatures for all deliveries or always hold items for pickup, so I'm hoping somebody has some advice.

As for the thief, not sure what I can do. The boxes are being left outside, I presume in the open, on top of the steps or behind a plant somewhere. Set up a trap sting operation? Worth calling the cops?

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/12/9 13:39

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017