Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City launches website to streamline production process for filmmakers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
We don't need a website for the film industry, that is not our problem. The building dept is still the horror show is was under Healy. This was the department that Steven was going to fix according to his transition report. Well, I guess that is not going to happen any time soon.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 14:53

Re: Jersey City launches website to streamline production process for filmmakers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The movie Bogus was made in the mid-90's which was the beginning of the end for production in Jersey City. Robert C. Janiszewski is actually thanked in the credits a sign that JCPD and Hudson County officials were probably milking the production and falling all over themselves to please the "Hollywood" types. If anybody made your life tough it would have been the foolish cops. Any self-respecting film production person would not have allowed residents to be harassed like that. The parking thing is necessary as they need lots of trucks and equipment. They would not have dared keep me from my home.

Regardless, it is an impact on the lives of regular folks that are not compensated. And when you add the loss of street parking, the impact is double.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The movie Bogus was made in the mid-90's which was the beginning of the end for production in Jersey City. Robert C. Janiszewski is actually thanked in the credits a sign that JCPD and Hudson County officials were probably milking the production and falling all over themselves to please the "Hollywood" types. If anybody made your life tough it would have been the foolish cops. Any self-respecting film production person would not have allowed residents to be harassed like that. The parking thing is necessary as they need lots of trucks and equipment. They would not have dared keep me from my home.

Posted on: 2014/12/9 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Hi Yvonne,

Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96DaFegZKhk

No, it was done in the 1980s, in the background you see Van Vorst Park. Unfortunately, the days before the internet.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/8 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This reminds me of the hoopla over the helicopters. You hear it is great for the economy and it provides jobs but in reality, it is 24 hours noise. Yes, they buzz over JC even at midnight. I have had personal experience with people making movies. Regardless of what some people posted, you cannot enter your home when production has started. And you are not compensated for your inconvenience. It is similar to the United Water cutting off you water, you don't have water or PSEG with no service. All of this hoopla is for Fulop to get notice. But if you live on the block where the movie is made, you are on your own. Your schedule now revolves around the movie they are shooting and you are not compensated.

IMPOSSIBLE. There is not a chance that any experienced film production person would allow something like that to happen unless the homeowners were being compensated. If a cop stops you from entering or leaving your home for a film shoot then they are an idiot. Will people ask you to wait a minute or two while a shot is taking place? Yes. The idea that you cannot enter or leave your home is ridiculous.

That is not true, the production company hires the police and the police works for them. You are stopped from entering your home. You are not compensated for your time. I am talking from experience, a Kit Kat commercial and the movie "Bogus." Besides that, all residents lose parking spaces on the block. So it is a double whammy.

Ain't buying the story about homeowners being locked down. If you do rent your home though you could make anywhere from $3500.00 to $6,000 a day. Helps pay the taxes!!

The only people who are compensated are those homes in which the actors uses. In the movie, "Bogus" the Madison House, the corner of York and Barrow was used by Whoopi Goldberg, it was supposed to be Newark, NJ. It was actually a realtor who allowed his apartment to be used in the scenes. The tenant and maybe the landlord received compensation. But the people who are neighbors on the block were not compensated but they could not leave or enter their property. In terms of the Kit Kat commercial, no homes were used, just the street. It was the same thing, you could only enter or leave on their schedule. All this talk of money is a big joke. It is similar to a parade permit, on a specific day, the parade users dominate the streets and you must remove your cars, there is no compensation.

Well Yvonne, what can I say, you got us all on that one. Allowing production companies to use Jersey City for filming, despite all the money, police overtime payments, contracts with local vendors and temporary jobs they bring in, is just a bad idea no matter what everyone else says. Thing is, from what you've said, this has happened to you twice - once for the movie Bogus and the other for a Kit Kat commercial. So that's two times in - how many years have you lived in this city? Quite a long time I'm guessing.

Also, for the Kit Kat commercial, did they have the actors singing, "Gimme a break! Gimme a break! Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar!" If so, that had to be funny to listen to from your house.

The Kit Kat commercial used a marching band then, it was some school outside of JC. This was the 1980s. Again, no one was compensated but they took over the entire street. Luckily it lasted a day or two, but Bogus took a long time. It was difficult going to work and actually more difficult returning home because they shot late into the evening. It was only during their break times that they allowed residents to enter their homes. "Bogus" was shot during winter. I remember waiting in the cold weather for their break. It was miserable. The production crew was in trailers while the people waiting to enter their homes were freezing.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This reminds me of the hoopla over the helicopters. You hear it is great for the economy and it provides jobs but in reality, it is 24 hours noise. Yes, they buzz over JC even at midnight. I have had personal experience with people making movies. Regardless of what some people posted, you cannot enter your home when production has started. And you are not compensated for your inconvenience. It is similar to the United Water cutting off you water, you don't have water or PSEG with no service. All of this hoopla is for Fulop to get notice. But if you live on the block where the movie is made, you are on your own. Your schedule now revolves around the movie they are shooting and you are not compensated.

IMPOSSIBLE. There is not a chance that any experienced film production person would allow something like that to happen unless the homeowners were being compensated. If a cop stops you from entering or leaving your home for a film shoot then they are an idiot. Will people ask you to wait a minute or two while a shot is taking place? Yes. The idea that you cannot enter or leave your home is ridiculous.

That is not true, the production company hires the police and the police works for them. You are stopped from entering your home. You are not compensated for your time. I am talking from experience, a Kit Kat commercial and the movie "Bogus." Besides that, all residents lose parking spaces on the block. So it is a double whammy.

Ain't buying the story about homeowners being locked down. If you do rent your home though you could make anywhere from $3500.00 to $6,000 a day. Helps pay the taxes!!

The only people who are compensated are those homes in which the actors uses. In the movie, "Bogus" the Madison House, the corner of York and Barrow was used by Whoopi Goldberg, it was supposed to be Newark, NJ. It was actually a realtor who allowed his apartment to be used in the scenes. The tenant and maybe the landlord received compensation. But the people who are neighbors on the block were not compensated but they could not leave or enter their property. In terms of the Kit Kat commercial, no homes were used, just the street. It was the same thing, you could only enter or leave on their schedule. All this talk of money is a big joke. It is similar to a parade permit, on a specific day, the parade users dominate the streets and you must remove your cars, there is no compensation.

Well Yvonne, what can I say, you got us all on that one. Allowing production companies to use Jersey City for filming, despite all the money, police overtime payments, contracts with local vendors and temporary jobs they bring in, is just a bad idea no matter what everyone else says. Thing is, from what you've said, this has happened to you twice - once for the movie Bogus and the other for a Kit Kat commercial. So that's two times in - how many years have you lived in this city? Quite a long time I'm guessing.

Also, for the Kit Kat commercial, did they have the actors singing, "Gimme a break! Gimme a break! Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar!" If so, that had to be funny to listen to from your house.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

You're an alarmist and full of crap. Been doing this stuff for 20+ years. Can't even name how many church basements we used just to cater food for the crew and paid the church a nice sum of money. We pay people $300.00 just to put a light in their driveway for 2 hours. Pizzas, coffee, hardware and on and on. The money gets spread around plus LOTS of people from the industry live in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/8 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/8 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/8 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/8 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/8 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I know what happened but here are other comments from New York. http://nypost.com/2014/05/11/movie-sh ... -terrorizing-new-yorkers/

Here's the countervailing viewpoint, from New York City's own municipal website:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/new ... cg_report_media2012.shtml

The film and TV industry has spent about $60 billion in New York City over the past decade, never mind all the jobs it provides, and money spent by those people at surrounding restaurants and stores, and on local caterers...

Not going to comment on the validity of the New York Post as a source, but that article seems to just mention a few isolated incidents. Hey you know what? If you want to fiercely oppose this, that's your right. Like I said, it's not like Jersey City is going to become the Hollywood of the East anyway.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I know what happened but here are other comments from New York. http://nypost.com/2014/05/11/movie-sh ... -terrorizing-new-yorkers/

Posted on: 2014/12/8 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

On my shoots, NO ONE would ever be allowed to stop citizens from entering or leaving their homes.

Likewise. I've frankly never heard of that happening. And a tip: filmmakers can ask you to, say, move to the other side of the street, but if they're recording in a public space you don't actually have to listen to them.

The only time I've ever actually been blocked from getting somewhere because of a TV production was when they taped an interview with the president in my office building.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The movie, Bogus (Whoopie Goldberg), was made on York Street, on Van Vorst Park. You could not leave or enter your home when you want to and you were not compensated. There are negatives associated with movie productions that are not talked about.

Movie productions are easy money for the city and I'm sure there'd be negatives associated with filming them. It's not like that much will ever be filmed in Jersey City anyway, given the higher production costs. Only a teensy bit of Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle was actually filmed in New Jersey (despite taking place in New Jersey), the rest was filmed in Canada. Remember when they filmed the now-cancelled TV series "Mercy" in Jersey City? Sure, there were a few inconveniences on the streets but it wasn't more than a few hours out of the day. I learned to live with it and was happy about the money and jobs it brought to JC, if only temporarily.

There are negatives associated with new construction or roadwork, but they are necessary. Should they just not happen if people are inconvenienced?

Posted on: 2014/12/8 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The movie, Bogus (Whoopie Goldberg), was made on York Street, on Van Vorst Park. You could not leave or enter your home when you want to and you were not compensated. There are negatives associated with movie productions that are not talked about.

Mayor Fulop could cure cancer and bring peace to the world and you would find negatives associated with it. You'd be happy if we brought JC back to the dark ages as long as Fulop wasn't the Mayor. Sad and pitiful to lead such an obsessive/negative life.

You have a Pollyanna look on things, I would say this if Healy was still mayor. There will be a negative impact for the residents. You will find yourself leaving work perhaps an hour early and waiting for permission to enter you home. This was not the only production on York St. In the 1980s there was a Kit Kat candy commercial with a marching band. The same inconvenience happened.

I find that your story is either outrageously embellished or you were dealing with the knucklehead cops who basically chased production out of Jersey City with their ridiculous demands. On my shoots, NO ONE would ever be allowed to stop citizens from entering or leaving their homes. As I've recounted before I once had to yell at the JCPD cops who were diverting pedestrians into JFK Blvd. outside the Loews Theater when we weren't even shooting outside.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Mayor Fulop could cure cancer and bring peace to the world and you would find negatives associated with it. You'd be happy if we brought JC back to the dark ages as long as Fulop wasn't the Mayor. Sad and pitiful to lead such an obsessive/negative life.

You have a Pollyanna look on things, I would say this if Healy was still mayor. There will be a negative impact for the residents. You will find yourself leaving work perhaps an hour early and waiting for permission to enter you home. This was not the only production on York St. In the 1980s there was a Kit Kat candy commercial with a marching band. The same inconvenience happened.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/8 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/8 1:56

Jersey City launches website to streamline production process for filmmakers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City launches website to streamline production process for filmmakers

NJBIZ.com
By Joshua Burd - December 6, 2014

Jersey City has launched a new website that allows filmmakers to apply for permits online, part of its effort to streamline the process and encourage productions in the city.

The site, www.filmJC.com allows users to submit information, pay for permits and find film-friendly businesses, according to a news release. The website also lists city-owned spaces available for filming and private locations that are offered for shoots.

With the website, Jersey City is following in the footsteps of places such as New York, Los Angeles and Miami.

Last year, Mayor Steven Fulop?s office updated the city?s film permitting process through an ordinance that created a point of contact for permitting and formalized the process of notifying residents and business owners about film productions, the news release said. The ordinance also updated the permit fee structure.

Read more:
http://www.njbiz.com/article/20141206 ... on-process-for-filmmakers

Posted on: 2014/12/6 18:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017