Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Paulus Hook Brick Oven Pizza is Closing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I was under the impression, when I lived on Bay Street, that Adilio owned three of the four corners of Bay and Grove.

He did. But he also sold that building that houses( One man Treasures) about 8 years ago. He had a liquor license and was going to open a liquor store. He and his brother owned the grocery store that is now Key Foods.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Susan_N wrote:
Quote:

ReadJunk wrote:
Razza's is excellent but like you said, not deliverable plus it's pricey. What other brick oven pizza joints are in the downtown area? Krispy isn't one right?

Abbondonza has brick oven pizza and delivers. It's also BYOB if you eat it there.

Their "Pizza Alla Abbondanza" pie is AWESOME. It has broccoli rabe, sausage, and sun-dried tomatoes. Highly recommended. And, at $18 for the large pie (feeds 4, or 3 very hungry persons) it is a steal.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 20:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/10 2:34
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ReadJunk wrote:
Razza's is excellent but like you said, not deliverable plus it's pricey. What other brick oven pizza joints are in the downtown area? Krispy isn't one right?

Abbondonza has brick oven pizza and delivers. It's also BYOB if you eat it there.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ReadJunk wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Yes I felt the same way. Someone else recommended Krispy pizza so I think it's worth a shot. If it doesn't measure up then we will be in the ironic position of being overloaded with pizza delivery joints with none of top quality (Razza isn't delivery).

I haven't tried it, but "Alex's Italian Restaurant & Brick Oven Pizza" is on Grove Street and they deliver.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 17:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/13 14:27
From earth
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Yes I felt the same way. Someone else recommended Krispy pizza so I think it's worth a shot. If it doesn't measure up then we will be in the ironic position of being overloaded with pizza delivery joints with none of top quality (Razza isn't delivery).

Posted on: 2014/11/19 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
He will be there without any customers if he chooses.

And he pretty much is at times! I have visited on a couple of occasions midweek for lunch and it is always sparsely occupied. Their food is typical Latin cafeteria style: plentiful, savory, and cheap. I like them but, working in NYC, I don't spend enough time in DTJC during the day to be able to patronize them regularly.

You can't do La Conguita for lunch because the service is so slow. They have pretty decent dinner crowds and do OK for brunch as well, but you have to have the time. It's one of my favorite places in JC.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I was under the impression, when I lived on Bay Street, that Adilio owned three of the four corners of Bay and Grove.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ReadJunk wrote:
I tried Rustique tonight, took hour and 10 minutes to get to my place. Mighty try just driving to pick it up next time, will be quicker. Pizza was an okay replacement. Still not as good as PHBOP though.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 3:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From earth
Group:
Registered Users
I tried Rustique tonight, took hour and 10 minutes to get to my place. Mighty try just driving to pick it up next time, will be quicker. Pizza was an okay replacement. Still not as good as PHBOP though.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Maise wrote:
I am really impressed with the new Krispy. I have ordered delivery and pick up a number of times and think its some of the better NY style pizza I have ever had. Both their specialty (the Vodka pie is awesome) and traditional pies are awesome.

Ok, I'll give it a try, thanks.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 1:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I am really impressed with the new Krispy. I have ordered delivery and pick up a number of times and think its some of the better NY style pizza I have ever had. Both their specialty (the Vodka pie is awesome) and traditional pies are awesome.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Is Rustique the only decent replacement that delivers? Someone suggested the new Krispy, but others said they use poor quality cheese and aren't as good.

I've had Rustique and it's good enough I guess, but still not the same. No idea why new pizza places bother to open up if they will put out a mediocre product.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JC_rider wrote:
Quote:

equ wrote:
My understanding was that the landowner (owner of the liquor store-like place next door) pushed Rustique out (who built the oven in the first place) and hired his employee... This, and their copying but not matching Rustique pizza was the reason I hardly ever frequented PH (even though it's an easy location for me).

From my POV, this is either karma coming to bite back the landlord/liquor/fake-pizza guy or he decided he can hire better people do sth else more profitable with the space. Not a fan of this guy at all...

I remember that the owner jacked up the rent and pushed out the Rustique owner. I tried Rustique pizza after they relocated and the pizza was not the same most likely due to the oven.

I wonder if the owner is pulling the same trick of raising the rent again.

I don't think you understand the history of what happened. The owner that pushed out Rustique is the guy running PHBOP. He IS the owner of both the wine/liquor store AND the pizzeria space. So, unless you think the guy is bipolar and raising the rent on himself, your statement makes ZERO sense.

While I found the whole episode distasteful, there was plenty of blame to go around. The Rustique owners were just plain dumb in terms of business acumen. They decided to have a custom made oven built into the space. Actually built INTO the space. It can't be moved, or taken out. They decided to do THAT right towards the end of their lease agreement. Any savvy business owner that doesn't own its space would have negotiated a lease extension/renewal AHEAD of such an investment. They didn't. When it came time to negotiate a new lease agreement, the wine/liquor store owner negotiated (in bad faith, by most accounts) by raising their rent and pushing them out. I used to patronize the wine shop from time to time when I would pick up wine to take to Satis if I had forgotten to bring my own. Alas, Satis is no longer BYOB, so my needs for wine in the area have ceased. But, truth be told, the whole Rustique debacle was a big turn off and I really stopped patronizing either store. Too bad for me, as I really thought the PHBOP pizza was good.

Wow--I bet there is more to the story. Like, they thought they had a verbal agreement or something to continue the lease at a similar rate. Which would also be stupid, just not as insanely stupid.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
He will be there without any customers if he chooses.

And he pretty much is at times! I have visited on a couple of occasions midweek for lunch and it is always sparsely occupied. Their food is typical Latin cafeteria style: plentiful, savory, and cheap. I like them but, working in NYC, I don't spend enough time in DTJC during the day to be able to patronize them regularly.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I hope you're right about La Conguita. There's hardly ever anyone in there, but they make a great cafe con leche and tostada; almost as good as every little joint in Miami. And yes, my culinary tastes run to coffee and toast.

He owns the three buildings side by side, and three buildings across the street, and the building behind it, he also sold the parking lot behind him for a ton. He will be there without any customers if he chooses.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I hope you're right about La Conguita. There's hardly ever anyone in there, but they make a great cafe con leche and tostada; almost as good as every little joint in Miami. And yes, my culinary tastes run to coffee and toast.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I'm pretty sure Torico's and La Conguita own their own buildings.

Not sure about Conguita, but you are likely correct. They would have been pushed out a long time ago otherwise. Torico's definitely owns their space, and they just did that beautiful renovation work, which turned out great. From my last two visits, it seems like their prices have risen considerably since the renovation, but I don't go all that often so I can justify the expense as a spur of the moment splurge.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I'm pretty sure Torico's and La Conguita own their own buildings.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_rider wrote:
Quote:

equ wrote:
My understanding was that the landowner (owner of the liquor store-like place next door) pushed Rustique out (who built the oven in the first place) and hired his employee... This, and their copying but not matching Rustique pizza was the reason I hardly ever frequented PH (even though it's an easy location for me).

From my POV, this is either karma coming to bite back the landlord/liquor/fake-pizza guy or he decided he can hire better people do sth else more profitable with the space. Not a fan of this guy at all...

I remember that the owner jacked up the rent and pushed out the Rustique owner. I tried Rustique pizza after they relocated and the pizza was not the same most likely due to the oven.

I don't think you understand the history of what happened. The owner that pushed out Rustique is the guy running PHBOP. He IS the owner of both the wine/liquor store AND the pizzeria space. So, unless you think the guy is bipolar and raising the rent on himself, your statement makes ZERO sense.

While I found the whole episode distasteful, there was plenty of blame to go around. The Rustique owners were just plain dumb in terms of business acumen. They decided to have a custom made oven built into the space. Actually built INTO the space. It can't be moved, or taken out. They decided to do THAT right towards the end of their lease agreement. Any savvy business owner that doesn't own its space would have negotiated a lease extension/renewal AHEAD of such an investment. They didn't. When it came time to negotiate a new lease agreement, the wine/liquor store owner negotiated (in bad faith, by most accounts) by raising their rent and pushing them out. I used to patronize the wine shop from time to time when I would pick up wine to take to Satis if I had forgotten to bring my own. Alas, Satis is no longer BYOB, so my needs for wine in the area have ceased. But, truth be told, the whole Rustique debacle was a big turn off and I really stopped patronizing either store. Too bad for me, as I really thought the PHBOP pizza was good.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I think we are really splitting hairs between the old Rustique, the new Rustique and PHBOP. I think we can all agree they are great pizza's. It's brushing the height of pizza snobbery.
One thing all pizza snobs should be able to agree on is that John's tastes like absolute garbage. I refuse to order out of dine in there ever again. Pizza taste (which is horrible, think ketchup on naan with polly-o string cheese) aside, the delivery and dine in service was horrendous.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 4:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

equ wrote:

PH pizza was very close to the original from circa 2007. It was sad to walk by today and see it all empty. There might be a shortage on deli but I stopped eating cold-cuts long time ago. I rather have another pizza joint there with original brick oven recipe with fresh mozzarella instead of cheaper cheese that every other pizza joint uses including the new Krispy.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Rustique Pizza is just as good if not better they are slightly less expensive and they don't charge a delivery fee as Paulus Hook did. Best part of Rustique is that they deliver to Paulus Hook.
Even though I'm right around the block from PHBOP I still order from Rustique. Save about $5 on a pie delivery.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 3:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From earth
Group:
Registered Users
NOOOOOOOO!!!

Posted on: 2014/11/18 2:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/18 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
With the current rise in rents, many places will be closing.Business's who own their own place are set, but then again, who owns their own property ? Stella's, Helen's,
Torico's,LaConguita, Unless they have a good , long lease their under a threat of someone else taking over. Retailers, such as, Morlees, Village liquors, Postnet , Downtown Hardware will stick around. Other then Village Liquors the other three have been around a long time.

I want to mention that this is NOT at all why Paulus Hook pizza is closing.

The guy who runs the liquor store next door also owns the Paulus Hook pizza business and is holding on to the space (I'm not sure if he has a lease or if he owns). Apparently, he feels that the space can be better used for something else--it's an entrepreneural decision to make a change.

By the way, my information on this point and the closure comes from the guy who works at the pizza place.

1. Do you know when the place will be closed for good?

2. Will the pizza continue in another form/another location, or is this the end of it?

Forgetting about the silliness with the history, the bottom line is the business has a pizza oven as an asset. I wonder if they will continue to make use of this asset or if they'll just sell it to someone else.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
With the current rise in rents, many places will be closing.Business's who own their own place are set, but then again, who owns their own property ? Stella's, Helen's,
Torico's,LaConguita, Unless they have a good , long lease their under a threat of someone else taking over. Retailers, such as, Morlees, Village liquors, Postnet , Downtown Hardware will stick around. Other then Village Liquors the other three have been around a long time.

I want to mention that this is NOT at all why Paulus Hook pizza is closing.

The guy who runs the liquor store next door also owns the Paulus Hook pizza business and is holding on to the space (I'm not sure if he has a lease or if he owns). Apparently, he feels that the space can be better used for something else--it's an entrepreneural decision to make a change.

By the way, my information on this point and the closure comes from the guy who works at the pizza place.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:

Why close? just move to another area like The Mozz Boss Mozzarella Shop did, they wanted to be dtjc but are now in GV.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/17 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vrug wrote:
For lovers of this place, check out rustique in the hamilton park/harismus cove area. Just don't order delivery (according to the reviews).

Also worth a crack is Krispy Pizza.

Krispy pizza is new to the area and is a short block away from the Paulus Hook pizza location. Krispy is fine, but no where near as good as Paulus Hook pizza.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vrug wrote:
For lovers of this place, check out rustique in the hamilton park/harismus cove area. Just don't order delivery (according to the reviews).

Also worth a crack is Krispy Pizza.

I googled Krispy Pizza but the only result I could find was based in Brooklyn. Are you saying they'd deliver here?

Posted on: 2014/11/17 20:54

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017