Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Being a great community?!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 16:27
Group:
Registered Users
@Fullmoon

Check out #OpSafeWinter and #OpSafeWinterNYC on twitter/facebook

(nyc-focused but maybe you could do something similar in jc)

Posted on: 2014/11/15 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fullmoon wrote:
Thanks for responding.

What have I done to help remedy this problem you ask?
Good Question! And Full Disclosure: Not nearly enough obviously!

To be honest, mostly I listen and observe. It may not sound like much, but try yourself to get a stranger on the street to listen to your problems and see how successful you are? Nobody has time.

I have been a past volunteer in the kitchens of https://www.newyorkcares.org and am willing to volunteer at our local shelter once they get their bedbug issue under control.

I try to hire homeless people for tasks as much as I can and usually find myself handing over whatever is in my pocket to aid them in their "situation."

I KNOW this is not the best way to go about things according to research. By posting on the JCList, I am hoping to learn, and get better ideas of what I CAN do as a community member.

What have you done to help remedy this problem? Maybe you have some better experience at these things? I am interested in helping.

By way of full confession, I don't consider homelessness something I need to solve, nor have I done anything to remedy it. That said, getting to a place where one is motivated to do something about the problem probably means understanding it better. In trying to understand why people are homeless in the first place, I came across this article http://nationalhomeless.org/guest-pos ... erstand-homeless-america/ which may inspire the less cynical.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 2:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/15 0:31
From 100 Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Hi again,

I like the volunteer list idea! Where would recommend posting it? If I could do more than volunteer, I would?but I have no experience as an "Activist." I know NYCares got funding through "Community Sponsors." That is why I mentioned the tax incentive route....

I wish I knew of a way to act on a larger scale, but that has not been my experience. I AM willing to learn new skills though in order to help figure out a way to help the homeless in our community.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 0:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/19 16:52
Group:
Registered Users
[quote] jmiz wrote: No shit I don't know! That's why I asked! You're a fucking moron <-- that's an "attack" ... are you sure you can handle that? [quote] Yes. That is an attack. As is this. Creep. (Apologies for taking this off topic. St. Lucy's is the best we have. If they are the shelter with the problem from the OP, all the more reason to help them out. http://www.ccannj.com/st_Lucy.php)

Posted on: 2014/11/15 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
OneOBall wrote: What - aside from attacking someone calling attention to a local problem - have you done to remedy this problem?
You call asking a question an attack? You can surmise a tone of voice through text? You're good. Quote:
OneOBall wrote: Given that you have no idea what this person has done
No shit I don't know! That's why I asked! You're a fucking moron <-- that's an "attack" ... are you sure you can handle that? Quote:
Fullmoon wrote: What have you done to help remedy this problem? Maybe you have some better experience at these things? I am interested in helping.
I don't have a perfect answer, but around this time of year, it would be great to have a list of places close by where one can volunteer, rather than have the individual seek those options out.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
It's an observation many share, but would be better 'managed' with government input and sponsorship. Then again the church and charity groups could pull their finger out more.
Do we have or heard of any homeless shelters run by the major religious organizations in the NJ / JC ?

I'm aware many soup kitchen are run by charity organizations, but not clear if there are any religious ones !

I believe Hope House and Saint Lucy's (? the shelter north of tunnel entrance) are run by or affiliated with the RCC.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 0:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 100 Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for responding.

What have I done to help remedy this problem you ask?
Good Question! And Full Disclosure: Not nearly enough obviously!

To be honest, mostly I listen and observe. It may not sound like much, but try yourself to get a stranger on the street to listen to your problems and see how successful you are? Nobody has time.

I have been a past volunteer in the kitchens of https://www.newyorkcares.org and am willing to volunteer at our local shelter once they get their bedbug issue under control.

I try to hire homeless people for tasks as much as I can and usually find myself handing over whatever is in my pocket to aid them in their "situation."

I KNOW this is not the best way to go about things according to research. By posting on the JCList, I am hoping to learn, and get better ideas of what I CAN do as a community member.

What have you done to help remedy this problem? Maybe you have some better experience at these things? I am interested in helping.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 23:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/19 16:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

What -- aside from post on the internet -- have you done to remedy this problem?

What - aside from attacking someone calling attention to a local problem - have you done to remedy this problem?

Given that you have no idea what this person has done, posting a local issue to a local message board is certainly more than you have done.

The trolls on this site. They should all be ashamed.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
It's an observation many share, but would be better 'managed' with government input and sponsorship. Then again the church and charity groups could pull their finger out more.
Do we have or heard of any homeless shelters run by the major religious organizations in the NJ / JC ?

I'm aware many soup kitchen are run by charity organizations, but not clear if there are any religious ones !

Posted on: 2014/11/14 23:50
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fullmoon wrote:
We have an obligation to build shelters for these less fortunate human beings in our community, don't we???

What -- aside from post on the internet -- have you done to remedy this problem?

Posted on: 2014/11/14 23:17

Being a great community?!

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 100 Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
The Homeless Shelters are filling up in Jersey City and connected boroughs this time of year especially!

We have just ONE unisex homeless shelter in Jersey City that "sources on the street" say has BEDBUGS currently.

Look out your window and in your local parks! The homeless population has been growing exponentially. Plus, it's getting cold! With all this new construction in the area, can't we provide a new clean homeless shelter through tax incentives or other means?

We are fortunate enough to have a great diverse community of people here in Jersey City. Isn't looking out for the less fortunate, an obligation of being the great community that we aspire to be?

Think about this the next time you pass a homeless person sleeping in your local park and feel distaste! We have an obligation to build shelters for these less fortunate human beings in our community, don't we???

Posted on: 2014/11/14 22:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017