Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Another Downtown Jersey City Catholic church closing, building to be sold
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I tried to buy a church in JC about 10 years ago and they had some silly rule on the books that it had to stay a church... maybe that has changed, I hope so.

Apparently that stuff is unenforceable, look up the story of the Synagogue on Grove that is now a mosque. They tried to put in the deed that it could never be a house of worship other than Orthodox Jewish, the new buyers did what they wanted.

If a church turns a property into rentals, does it still pay no tax?

Also the Synagogue that was turned into condos on 5th street between Erie & Manila. I've always been curious about that one, old wooden Synagogue with beautiful windows.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Well there is resistance building to at least make an outcry about the sale of these buildings. For believers, these buildings are temples built by the sacrifice of our ancestors. They are impressive and at times beautiful. They will not be easily recreated in this civilization. The Archdiocese needs to reconsider the role these buildings can have in maintaining an evangelical presence in the community.

For non believers, these buildings also are part of your heritage too. Like a frescoe by Giotto or a Mass composed by Palestrina, these churches are an essential part of Western Culture and of Jersey City.

Anyone interested in helping to make this argument public, please PM me

Posted on: 2014/11/12 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I hope the building is somehow heritage listed, so its not simply bulldozer for another high density high rise.

City planners should have a caveat on it so that the only structure that can be built, has to be one for the general public to access - Childcare, Store, Restaurant, Reception Center or better still an indoor playground and gym

Posted on: 2014/11/12 20:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I tried to buy a church in JC about 10 years ago and they had some silly rule on the books that it had to stay a church... maybe that has changed, I hope so.

Apparently that stuff is unenforceable, look up the story of the Synagogue on Grove that is now a mosque. They tried to put in the deed that it could never be a house of worship other than Orthodox Jewish, the new buyers did what they wanted.

If a church turns a property into rentals, does it still pay no tax?

Posted on: 2014/11/12 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
that's a really pretty building. I hope they keep it and renovate, like St. Boniface on 1st Street (now condos, all already sold).

Posted on: 2014/11/12 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/12 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Very sad. If you walk around and pay attention, you'll be struck by the huge number of churches downtown - and by their size and the fact that they each housed large, active congregations in their day. And in a post-Veterans Day vein, take note of the plaques listing the members who served and died in WWI and WWII; dozens from each church.

We live in a very different world.

In some ways, this can be viewed as a positive.

I do hope the buildings are not bulldozed over and turned into a residential units. A clever entrepreneur should view these buildings as possible bars and restaurants.

You would need a wildly popular bar or restaurant to fill a church's worth of space. Not likely.

Why is it unlikely? What I stated is not remotely unique or original. Pittsburgh is still home to one my favorite spots, Church Brew Works

Posted on: 2014/11/12 17:34
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Very sad. If you walk around and pay attention, you'll be struck by the huge number of churches downtown - and by their size and the fact that they each housed large, active congregations in their day. And in a post-Veterans Day vein, take note of the plaques listing the members who served and died in WWI and WWII; dozens from each church.

I do hope the buildings are not bulldozed over and turned into a residential units. A clever entrepreneur should view these buildings as possible bars and restaurants.

You would need a wildly popular bar or restaurant to fill a church's worth of space. Not likely.

Posted on: 2014/11/12 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:

Posted on: 2014/11/12 17:18
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/12 16:48

Another Downtown Jersey City Catholic church closing, building to be sold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal

The effort to save five Downtown Jersey City Roman Catholic parishes by uniting them as Resurrection parish has ended and the pending sale of St. Bridget?s Church will mean only two of the original five will remain as houses of worship.

?We have been entertaining proposals from several people interested in the property and in the next couple of days we will be receiving the bids and we hope to have an answer in the next two weeks,? Newark Archdiocese spokesman Jim Goodness said of the sale of St. Bridget?s Church, located at 370 Montgomery St.

In 1997 the parishes of St. Bridget?s, St. Peter?s, St. Boniface, St. Mary?s and St. Michael's churches were joined to form the Resurrection parish, but in February Resurrection was dissolved.

St. Peter?s and St. Boniface churches have been sold. St. Mary?s High School remained open, but later closed. The 127-year-old St. Bridget?s Church remained open but has been rarely used, Goodness said.

More

Posted on: 2014/11/12 16:35

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017