Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Flooding (help)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Beckmeyer is another hack who should be purged from our pathetic beaurocracy. He's insisted that the flooding is an "act of god", and as chief engineer of a antiquated system his dept. has not even the slightest plan as how to update it. His only plan is to pass the problem along to his successor while he collects his generous city pension in Boca.

Quote:

mitts wrote:
There was a recent meeting with affected residents, JCMUA (Joe Beckmeyer, Chief Engineer) and Councilman Fulop. Essentially, Joe Beckmeyer got lambasted because every possible suggestion that was offered, Joe had the same response....NO. Clearly there is not even any thought going on there to try to innovatively solve the constant flooding problem.

Questions like...what is happening with the new connection fees that are being paid by new developments that are tying into already overloaded, old sewer lines? Should they not be going into a fund to upgrade these lines rather than just disappearing? In many other towns, these connection fees can be $4K to $5 per unit. Why is the JCMUA not looking to capture some larger connnection fees from these very expensive developments (more than the present $1700) and putting them to very necessary uses?

In the end, we seem to have gained some traction. Councilman Fulop has worked out with the JCMUA, an informal task force to delve into these issues and strive to come up with some mitigating solutions.

If you want action, please join your voice NOW. The next informal task force meeting is coming in the next couple of weeks!

Posted on: 2006/3/15 18:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/6 20:11
Group:
Registered Users
There was a recent meeting with affected residents, JCMUA (Joe Beckmeyer, Chief Engineer) and Councilman Fulop. Essentially, Joe Beckmeyer got lambasted because every possible suggestion that was offered, Joe had the same response....NO. Clearly there is not even any thought going on there to try to innovatively solve the constant flooding problem.

Questions like...what is happening with the new connection fees that are being paid by new developments that are tying into already overloaded, old sewer lines? Should they not be going into a fund to upgrade these lines rather than just disappearing? In many other towns, these connection fees can be $4K to $5 per unit. Why is the JCMUA not looking to capture some larger connnection fees from these very expensive developments (more than the present $1700) and putting them to very necessary uses?

In the end, we seem to have gained some traction. Councilman Fulop has worked out with the JCMUA, an informal task force to delve into these issues and strive to come up with some mitigating solutions.

If you want action, please join your voice NOW. The next informal task force meeting is coming in the next couple of weeks!

Posted on: 2006/3/15 17:51

Re: Jersey City getting an infusion of cash - and North Bergen sewage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Alternate JCMUA Commissioner Janet Gaita, however, voiced her opposition to the agreement.

"I don't think this is a good deal for the JCMUA and the taxpayers of Jersey City," Gaita said. "I believe we could have, and should have, gotten more lucrative terms than $8 million since North Bergen was faced with the choice of connecting to Bergen County's sewage system for a lot more money or building a plant that would cost $40 million."

This $8mill sell out by the JCMUA to North Bergen will only help them and not contribute to improving our overloaded infrastructure downtown, reduce flooding and poo in your basements due to undersized 125+ yrs pipe.

It seems that once again state political cronies have back-roomed another deal with patronage officials at an agency that claims to be independent, so-called, as all they do is swap chairs on the Titanic while poneying up the minimum to satisfy the DEP, while we trade away for un gotz, a $40 milion valuation that North Bergen would have had to spend to build a new plant, or "connecting to Bergen County's sewage system for a lot more money" than the $8mil.

What kind of due diligence gives us .20 cents on the dollar for our interest in this REQUIRED and MANDATED project??

Reminds me of the $40 mil JC lent Lefrak early on when our so-called "Gold Coast" was but a glint in the crafty, skinflint Lefrak eye to build on the waterfront.

Schundler liquidated the loan for 12 cents on the dollar to plug up his city budget overruns for '95 and '96. Go to Mia Scanga's "Talkin Politics TV" site or see here on the laudy, laudy miss laudy, praise-n-pass the biscuits paen to "Re: God bless Sam Lefrak and JC developers of yore." thread here at JCList.

(what an idiotic thread title) Celebrate and bless the Raptor Pioneers of economic devastation in the land of JCList Church of Sam Lefrak and JC developers of "y-ore"

Get me out of The Truman Show's Seaville.

Guess we like swapping out for pennies but, hey at least we've moved from 12 cents to 20 cents on the dollar over 20 years; it's all good, huh? NOT!

Posted on: 2006/3/10 9:50
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thetruth wrote:
If a man lives long enough he lives to see everything. I can't imagine how this is a good idea. I hope every dollar is going to improve our own system.

From reading the article, I gather we don't have a system. We are pumping JC poo to Passaic Valley Plant in Newark. Now we will also pump North Bergen poo there through our pipes. North Bergen could not afford to connect to Bergen County plant because they wanted too much $$. This is to be expected since Bergen County caters to a much higher class of poo.

Posted on: 2006/3/10 0:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/12/10 5:50
Group:
Registered Users
If a man lives long enough he lives to see everything. I can't imagine how this is a good idea. I hope every dollar is going to improve our own system.

Posted on: 2006/3/9 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
What studies did they conduct to ensure that the additional "effluent" would not overtax our already overloaded sewage system? Redundant, I know, but so is this whole deal.

Posted on: 2006/3/9 15:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/5 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
Funny, they don't seem to mention how much it will cost Jersey City residents when, after every time it rains, even more sewage starts bubbling up into their basements. With a sewage system that is already overloaded and new developments springing up all around, how pray tell is this a good deal for Jersey City? I guess it does help the current administration with a one time shot towards balancing this year's budget. . .

Posted on: 2006/3/9 15:10

Jersey City getting an infusion of cash - and North Bergen sewage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City getting an infusion of cash - and North Bergen sewage
Wednesday, March 08, 2006
By EARL MORGAN
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

NORTH BERGEN - In a multimillion-dollar deal announced yesterday, North Bergen will tie into Jersey City's sewage system, eliminating the need for North Bergen to build a $40 million sewerage treatment plant.

Jersey City will receive an initial $8 million as part of the deal, as well as additional fees for allowing the sewage to flow through its system, North Bergen Mayor Nicholas Sacco said at a news conference yesterday at Township Hall.

North Bergen's effluent will ultimately be piped to the Passaic Valley Sewerage Authority facility in Newark.

North Bergen was under a mandate from the state Department of Environmental Protection to substantially upgrade its sewage treatment operation. The DEP must approve the agreement before it goes into effect on June 30.

Sacco, who is also a state senator, said the township will need to borrow $20 million from the DEP infrastructure fund to finance the project. North Bergen will also get a $3 million grant from the DEP.

"Since we're getting the funds through the infrastructure fund we will only have to pay interest on half of the money," Sacco said.

The project will include converting the North Bergen sewerage treatment plant on West Side Avenue to a facility for pumping sewage into the Jersey City connection. North Bergen will also pay for repairs and upgrades on the Jersey City sewage connection the township will use.

The conversion of the treatment plant will save North Bergen about $1 million a year, township officials said. Further savings will be realized from a reduction in the staff operating the plant.

Sacco said the administration is hoping to phase out some of the staff through attrition and to find positions for others in other agencies.

Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority Executive Director Dan Becht and board president Eileen Gaughan, who attended yesterday's news conference, lauded the agreement.

Becht said the JCMUA will use some of the money to pay an unexpected $2.5 million hike in fees from the Passaic Valley Sewerage Authority.

Alternate JCMUA Commissioner Janet Gaita, however, voiced her opposition to the agreement.

"I don't think this is a good deal for the JCMUA and the taxpayers of Jersey City," Gaita said. "I believe we could have, and should have, gotten more lucrative terms than $8 million since North Bergen was faced with the choice of connecting to Bergen County's sewage system for a lot more money or building a plant that would cost $40 million."

Posted on: 2006/3/9 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone read the news about JC taking North Bergen's sewage? Any thoughts?

I would cut and paste it but my computer is acting up.

Posted on: 2006/3/9 13:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Excerpts from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/14/nyregion/14flood.html

"...pushing sewage up through toilets in Jersey City.."

"In Hudson County municipalities like Hoboken, Bayonne and Jersey City, the heavy rainfall caused sewer systems to overflow, forcing water up through toilets and bathtubs and causing sewers to back up onto residential streets and major roadways.

"The water has no place to go," said Joseph Beckmyer, chief engineer for the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority.

As a result, Mr. Beckmyer said, untreated water was being dumped into the Hudson River, as permitted by the state's environmental regulations. Several large blockages of storm drains were probably contributing to the flooding, he said. Work crews were trying to unclog the smaller drains, but engineers will have to wait for the water to subside before clearing the larger ones, he said. "

That's intereresting. . . i have noticed that my sump pump has not been filling up for the past day and a half.

Posted on: 2005/10/14 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Excerpts from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/14/nyregion/14flood.html

"...pushing sewage up through toilets in Jersey City.."

"In Hudson County municipalities like Hoboken, Bayonne and Jersey City, the heavy rainfall caused sewer systems to overflow, forcing water up through toilets and bathtubs and causing sewers to back up onto residential streets and major roadways.

"The water has no place to go," said Joseph Beckmyer, chief engineer for the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority.

As a result, Mr. Beckmyer said, untreated water was being dumped into the Hudson River, as permitted by the state's environmental regulations. Several large blockages of storm drains were probably contributing to the flooding, he said. Work crews were trying to unclog the smaller drains, but engineers will have to wait for the water to subside before clearing the larger ones, he said. "

Posted on: 2005/10/14 19:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zferis wrote:
Back to your question, dojo-mojo:

At least half the street at the corner of Grand and Grove was under water during the worst of the storm. It stayed pretty deep for a few hours following too. It was about a foot deep in most places in the street and probably 4 to 8 inches covering most of the sidewalk heading up Grove St. toward York St. Luckily, none of this came into our place. The only weird thing was that the sewer backed up into our backtub... left some pretty nasty residues there! Also, following the storm, we tried to flush our toilet and it overflowed terribly...not because it was clogged, just because the water had nowhere to go.

But...it's all gone now!

Perhaps your apartment complex has a check valve. This is a valve that flaps shut when the sewer tries fo back up into the apartment. When this happens all of the toilets, showers, and sink's water has no place to go. Therefore you will get toilets that overflow.

Posted on: 2005/10/14 18:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/24 18:18
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Back to your question, dojo-mojo:

At least half the street at the corner of Grand and Grove was under water during the worst of the storm. It stayed pretty deep for a few hours following too. It was about a foot deep in most places in the street and probably 4 to 8 inches covering most of the sidewalk heading up Grove St. toward York St. Luckily, none of this came into our place. The only weird thing was that the sewer backed up into our backtub... left some pretty nasty residues there! Also, following the storm, we tried to flush our toilet and it overflowed terribly...not because it was clogged, just because the water had nowhere to go.

But...it's all gone now!

Posted on: 2005/10/14 18:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/19 1:13
Group:
Registered Users
You can get very handsome and cheap porcelain tile from Standard Tile on Kennedy Blvd - it's very durable.

Also - if you think you may get exposed to sewage consider getting HEP A & B vaccinations. You might really save yourself from a serious illness.

Posted on: 2005/10/13 21:59
Yes,we have no bananas.
(Silver & Cohn, 1923)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
If there was sewage (as in fecal matter) mixed with the water, think twice about trying to save it. Painted cement or similar might be a better option for flooring.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2005/10/13 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
I recommend J&N Carpet Cleaning @ 201 432-2168. They have a truck with a built in vacuuming system with a 75 ft. hose. I've used them for about 10 years and their prices have been reasonable. Ask for Nick. Good luck.

Posted on: 2005/10/13 21:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/7/28 14:12
Group:
Registered Users
OK. So I got 2 feet. I'm scrambling here to try and save the carpet....from the last flood, I re-carpeted with commercial carpet w/o padding. I should be able to find some one to come suck the water out and dry the carpet.
Any suggestions. Im searching all over the internet. HELP !
Who can I call? Thanks. [quote]

Posted on: 2005/10/13 14:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
The thing with my flooding situation is the most water I get on my floor is about an inch. IF I had 2 feet of water I would say "ok I am screwed" but I think someone can come up with something that can stop one inch of water.

Posted on: 2005/10/13 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

VanVJR wrote:
Quote:
Basically...JC needs a massive upgrade of its sewer systems. The amount of flooding downtown and along the 1 and the 9 (particularly around Manhattan) is hard to excuse.

When river is running higher than the sewers, there's not much you can do to fix it.

Yes. Good point! Look to New Orleans for an example.

Posted on: 2005/10/12 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Skadave wrote:
So my apartment flooded again, I live in a duplex and our bedroom is in the basement. Fortunately for me I have a tile floor and all I have to do is a vigorous mopping.

Our plummer came over and told me the same things plummers tell me when they evaluate the situation (backup from the sewers, check valves, etc..

The question that no one seams to answer is this: If we put in more sump pumps will this help? they always tell me that it will just get pumped out to the street and it will come right back. Now I would rather have the water pumpinig out to the street than on my bedroom floor. If I have a bunch of sump pumps pumping out water and keeping my floor dry I really couldn't care less if it's the same water circulating from the street to my sump pump. I am off base here?

Despite the title of the topic thread below, there are postings regarding sump pumps, flooding/sewer problems relative to the street runoff, sewer system (or, lack, thereof!), et al.

When I lived on Barrow across from what used to be JC Winston's Bar, we had heavy flood whenever it rained hard in our basement level of our duplex apt.

Even with a sump pump we had to bail water for over 12 hours straight with no relief and that's why I finally moved to an upstairs apt when I found out that all of Downtown JC is basically on the flood plain and the so-called sewer system has pipes too small to take the runoff particularly with all the new development.

See this link here at JCList for more background:

Re: is anyone's basement getting flooded?

Posted on: 2005/10/12 22:19
Resized Image

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/24 0:20
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Basically...JC needs a massive upgrade of its sewer systems. The amount of flooding downtown and along the 1 and the 9 (particularly around Manhattan) is hard to excuse.

When river is running higher than the sewers, there's not much you can do to fix it.

Posted on: 2005/10/12 22:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/12 23:57
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

designknob wrote:
quit yer whinin!

I found this huge towel from target that cleaned it up pretty good. Maybe you know which one it is.

Posted on: 2005/10/12 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Skadave wrote:
So my apartment flooded again, I live in a duplex and our bedroom is in the basement. Fortunately for me I have a tile floor and all I have to do is a vigorous mopping.

Our plummer came over and told me the same things plummers tell me when they evaluate the situation (backup from the sewers, check valves, etc..

The question that no one seams to answer is this: If we put in more sump pumps will this help? they always tell me that it will just get pumped out to the street and it will come right back. Now I would rather have the water pumpinig out to the street than on my bedroom floor. If I have a bunch of sump pumps pumping out water and keeping my floor dry I really couldn't care less if it's the same water circulating from the street to my sump pump. I am off base here?

Despite the title of the topic thread below, there are postings there regarding sump pump problems/solutions regarding flooding/sewer problems relative to the street runoff, sewer system (or, lack, thereof!), et al.

When I lived at Barrow across from what used to be JC Winston's, we had major floods in heavy rains, and even with sump pump running had to bail constantly for 12 hours!

That's why I no longer rented ground floor apts when I found out all of this area is on the flood plain and the so-called sewer system uses small pipes and backs up into street so you can't get rid of the water in your house/apt.

See this link here at JCList for more background:

Re: is anyone's basement getting flooded?

Posted on: 2005/10/12 21:48
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
quit yer whinin!

Posted on: 2005/10/12 20:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/12 23:57
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Nature has kicked my ass today. I have water everywhere in my kitchen

Posted on: 2005/10/12 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I knew of a house on 5th St., south side between Erie and Jersey that installed sump pumps up the wazoo, then finished off the basement and filled it with furniture, confident they could win the battle. I walked by a few years later after a big rain and saw them dumping all the furniture, furnishings, and tiles from the floor that had buckled.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but n the end, nature will win.

Posted on: 2005/10/12 18:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Bummer!

I live in the Heights and, on day's like today, there's always water in the basement. I'm not sure that this condition can be stopped. My solution is to work around it. I have a sump pump, a dehumidifier, and everything in the basement is in plastic boxes or on bookshelves. Basically...JC needs a massive upgrade of its sewer systems. The amount of flooding downtown and along the 1 and the 9 (particularly around Manhattan) is hard to excuse.

Posted on: 2005/10/12 17:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2005/10/12 15:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/2/20 5:21
Group:
Registered Users
Did anyone have problems with flooding during Monday's thunderstorm?

As far as I know - and correct me if I am mistaken - most of the flooding in DoJo only occurs in people's basements, but not on public city streets. I had no clue Hoboken had an even worse flooding/sewer problem than ours.

via [whereistheremote]

Resized Image

Posted on: 2005/8/17 22:24
Have you had your DoJo Mojo today?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/1 15:48
Group:
Registered Users
Every once in a while, Scott, the JCMUA comes by with those big orange trucks and cleans out the sewer main. Next time you see them, go out and take a look at the main. It's round; I'd say it's 12-24 inches in diameter, although I can't say for sure. The guys at JCMUA probably know.

One thing you might want to do is call them every once in a while and ask them to clean the sewer. There was a woman who lived on the corner who used to call all the time. But she moved.

Good luck with the check valve. You don't have to worry about what effect your check valve has on the neighbors. The amount of water that gets through your main is small in comparison to the amount that falls. Plus, you have to take of of your own house.

Posted on: 2005/8/1 15:49

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017