Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Surgeons Reattach 8-year-old Girls Arm After Pit Bull (they were fostering) Attacked
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/31 1:03

Re: Surgeons Reattach 8-year-old Girls Arm After Pit Bull (they were fostering) Attacked
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Some would say people need a licence to keep dogs, others would say people need a licence to have kids .... while others would say you need a licence for both !

Honestly, best solution of all.

Posted on: 2014/10/31 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Some would say people need a licence to keep dogs, others would say people need a licence to have kids .... while others would say you need a licence for both !

Posted on: 2014/10/30 19:19
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
I really wish we could mandate spay and neuter unless someone was willing to get a breeding permit.

You're talking about the animals, right?

BTW, there's been studies of feral dogs around the world, and they actually fall into a pretty narrow phenotype: 30-40 lb shorthairs. Too big & too small don't cut it. I kinda agree about the shortcomings of TNR, but I'm positive if you asked one of my cats if he'd rather live "fast and short" on the streets than lose his outside privileges, he'd take his chances. That's where we found him to begin with.

That would be because they're mutts. The street dogs in Italy, China, Jamaica, Mexico, etc. all look the same.

Posted on: 2014/10/30 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
I really wish we could mandate spay and neuter unless someone was willing to get a breeding permit.

You're talking about the animals, right?

BTW, there's been studies of feral dogs around the world, and they actually fall into a pretty narrow phenotype: 30-40 lb shorthairs. Too big & too small don't cut it. I kinda agree about the shortcomings of TNR, but I'm positive if you asked one of my cats if he'd rather live "fast and short" on the streets than lose his outside privileges, he'd take his chances. That's where we found him to begin with.

Posted on: 2014/10/30 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
euthanasia - any animal after 7 days in shelter

too many bad / negligent owners, too many breeders, too many animals that are stray.

if we were to cull this way for 2 years it would barely make a difference.

it appears the ratio of bad owners to good owners is growing ... just look at the intake numbers at shelters.

Yep. And in this case I suspect the real culprits were the ones original owners that messed up the dog to begin with. But sad that the ultimate victim was the 8 year old girl. And of course now the dog dies too. I really wish we could mandate spay and neuter unless someone was willing to get a breeding permit.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Worth noting that life in the shelters for unadopted pets is far shorter and even more brutal - left to live in tiny cages surrounded by often diseased animals and killed within short periods of time. TNR is a better option even if it isn't ideal.

I think our shelter's financial resources must be looked at -- how much does it cost to save a Pitbull vs the cost of saving a cat?

In any event, dogs are NEVER left out on the street to live short brutal lives. It amounts to a slow cheap way of killing cats and the money saved is then used at the shelter to save Pitbulls (as well as other cats & dogs)

I disagree. This is like saying that wolves live far longer in zoos than in the wild so they should only live in zoos. Cats on average live less in "the wild" than in captivity, with some exceptions, but so what? That isn't the same as saying that the solution is to throw them into cages and kill them after a short period of time.

As to saying Liberty Humane should kill more dogs to take in more cats, that makes no sense to me. Cats CAN be released with TNR, but we can't do that with dogs. I mean, we can but many people wouldn't stand for it so it won't happen (I would be fine with it). The fact that it is cheaper to take care of a cat than a large dog is somehow irrelevant. It is cheaper to take care of a mouse than a cat. Should Liberty Humane automatically kill all cats and dogs and primarily house thousands of rodents?

Posted on: 2014/10/29 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
euthanasia - any animal after 7 days in shelter

too many bad / negligent owners, too many breeders, too many animals that are stray.

if we were to cull this way for 2 years it would barely make a difference.

it appears the ratio of bad owners to good owners is growing ... just look at the intake numbers at shelters.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 20:57
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Says who? Lots of stray dogs (mostly the big hardy ones -- not the little overbred ones) can and do live for a few years on the streets in some poor cities around the world -- very much the same as cats -- and of course -- packs of big dogs are much scarier than cat colonies.

By the way -- it is National Cat Day!

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
If your dog ran away and did not get rescued he/she would live for about a month or two in a urban environment. A cat would live for years. Cats can take care of themselves allot better than dogs. Dogs survive better in packs, cats can remain solo and be just fine.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
If your dog ran away and did not get rescued he/she would live for about a month or two in a urban environment. A cat would live for years. Cats can take care of themselves allot better than dogs. Dogs survive better in packs, cats can remain solo and be just fine.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

Worth noting that life in the shelters for unadopted pets is far shorter and even more brutal - left to live in tiny cages surrounded by often diseased animals and killed within short periods of time. TNR is a better option even if it isn't ideal.

I think our shelter's financial resources must be looked at -- how much does it cost to save a Pitbull vs the cost of saving a cat?

In any event, dogs are NEVER left out on the street to live short brutal lives. It amounts to a slow cheap way of killing cats and the money saved is then used at the shelter to save Pitbulls (as well as other cats & dogs)

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I must have missed biology class that day, so forgive my ignorance, but don't cats reproduce a lot more prolifically than dogs? I'm thinking that's the argument for TNR - to keep down the sheer volume of cats. I could be off base on this, so don't jump all over me.

TNR (Trap Neuter Release) The "Trap and Neuter" -- is favored for stray Dogs and Cats -- but only the "Release" part of TNR is done with cats -- leaving them on the street rather than keeping them at the shelter. As I said -- Animal for Animal -- our shelter spends vastly more on Pitbulls than on cats -- and outdoor life is short and brutal for cats -- only a few years -- rather than 15+ for indoor cats -- as it would likely be for dogs if they too were left on the streets.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I must have missed biology class that day, so forgive my ignorance, but don't cats reproduce a lot more prolifically than dogs? I'm thinking that's the argument for TNR - to keep down the sheer volume of cats. I could be off base on this, so don't jump all over me.

TNR (Trap Neuter Release) The "Trap and Neuter" -- is favored for stray Dogs and Cats -- but only the "Release" part of TNR is done with cats -- leaving them on the street rather than keeping them at the shelter. As I said -- Animal for Animal -- our shelter spends vastly more on Pitbulls than on cats -- and outdoor life is short and brutal for cats -- only a few years -- rather than 15+ for indoor cats -- as it would likely be for dogs if they too were left on the streets.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Animal for Animal -- our shelter spends vastly more on Pitbulls than on cats.

Wouldn't we expect that though? Dogs are far more expensive to care for than cats. I have both a cat and a large dog and guess which costs far more?

Quote:
TNR is favored by dog people not cat people -- and I bet these same people would never support TNR for dogs. Outdoor life is short and brutal for cats -- a few years -- rather than 15+ for indoor cats.

This is a false dichotomy. Many people, including myself, own both. My cat is a former cat colony cat that still insists on spending a lot of time outside. Based on what I see, including what I saw of strays abroad, while it would be great to give every animal a great home, that isn't always possible. TNR is better than sheltering and killing. No one is saying it is better than a good home. Though, I do note that some older cats that were born feral aren't capable of becoming house cats. And what you consider "brutal" a lot of cats consider normal.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/29 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Animal for Animal -- our shelter spends vastly more on Pitbulls than on cats.

TNR is favored by dog people not cat people -- and I bet these same people would never support TNR for dogs. Outdoor life is short and brutal for cats -- a few years -- rather than 15+ for indoor cats.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Besides the danger to the young, the old and all others -- it is also very sad how much of our financial resources are used for Pitbulls -- while so many cats are just left out on street to endure very short brutal lives (ie: TNR)

TNR is actually a major improvement to the old way of just catching them and killing them. Most stray dogs just end up dead, ESPECIALLY stray pit bulls.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I'm not a pit-bull hater (or pit mixes, staffordshire terriers, whatever you want to call them). I've found them to be really affectionate and smart. I've fostered them at my home, like these people might have been doing. But would I have one in a home with an 8-year-old? Nope, I wouldn't. These are really powerful dogs. They don't belong around kids. I know not everybody agrees, but I wouldn't do it. Glad the little girl will recover.

Right, really powerful dogs. My point is that this would be true with a large number of other dogs. For one, I would say pretty much every dog on this list as well as some others: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molosser#List_of_Molossoid_breeds

Posted on: 2014/10/29 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Besides the danger to the young, the old and all others -- it is also very sad how much of our financial resources are used for Pitbulls -- while so many cats are just left out on street to endure very short brutal lives (ie: TNR)

Posted on: 2014/10/29 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not a pit-bull hater (or pit mixes, staffordshire terriers, whatever you want to call them). I've found them to be really affectionate and smart. I've fostered them at my home, like these people might have been doing. But would I have one in a home with an 8-year-old? Nope, I wouldn't. These are really powerful dogs. They don't belong around kids. I know not everybody agrees, but I wouldn't do it. Glad the little girl will recover.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Letting your kid play with a pit bull is worse than letting your kid play with a loaded gun.

Objectively incorrect: http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/the-toll-gun-violence-children

"In the 2009 Kids? Inpatient Database (KID), 7,391 children under the age of 20 had been hospitalized for injuries from firearms and the majority of those gunshot injuries ?4,559?resulted from intentional firearm assaults. 2,149 of those injured were accidents, and 270 were suicide attempts. Of the children who were hospitalized, 453 ? 6% ? died from their injuries."

Deaths from dogs per year? 20-30.

I'm pro-gun, by the way. But nothing is more annoying than shrill, knee jerkers.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Letting your kid play with a pit bull is worse than letting your kid play with a loaded gun.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/l ... ack-Ruckle-280750662.html

Nine surgeries and four weeks after a pit bull attack nearly ripped the arm off an 8-year-old girl, the child returned to her Delaware home with her limb reattached to her body.

"First he bit me on the hip to knock me down and then he grabbed my arm, but he was going for the back of my neck," ...

Emily, who spent the past month at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, was viciously attacked Sept. 27 by an abandoned pit bull named Frank, who her family was housing in a separate in-law suite...

Are they sure it was a "real" pitbull. Lot's of dogs look like pits. She must have done something to provoke it, pits are such sweet dogs. They don't bite more often than other dogs, that a myth. Maybe she bit her own arm off? Those 8 year old girls are well known to have jaws like bear traps.

Pit bulls are dogs. Large, strong dogs at that. Whenever you take a new large, powerful dog in your home there's an element of risk. Not a huge one as deaths from dogs are such a rare occurrence that they can be considered freak accidents, as opposed to things like lightening strikes which while also rare, outnumber dog bites in deaths by many, many times. Still, if they bite it will cause damage, especially if you have a small child. This isn't to say anyone did anything wrong, but crap happens. When I was a kid another kid was running at a track meet, vomited in his mouth and tried to keep running. The vomit went into his lungs and long story short, he died right then and there. Didn't cause a massive media event. If it was a pit bull attack I'm sure it would have been front page news.

Media misidentification of pit bulls is real. Is it a boxer? Nope, pit bull. Is it 1/4 pit bull and 3/4 something else? Still a pit bull.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Great, now we get to hear a bunch of stupid comments focusing on the breed (which is one of the most popular breeds around).

Posted on: 2014/10/29 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Nine surgeries and four weeks after a pit bull attack nearly ripped the arm off an 8-year-old girl, the child returned to her Delaware home with her limb reattached to her body.

"First he bit me on the hip to knock me down and then he grabbed my arm, but he was going for the back of my neck," ...

Emily, who spent the past month at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, was viciously attacked Sept. 27 by an abandoned pit bull named Frank, who her family was housing in a separate in-law suite...

Are they sure it was a "real" pitbull. Lot's of dogs look like pits. She must have done something to provoke it, pits are such sweet dogs. They don't bite more often than other dogs, that a myth. Maybe she bit her own arm off? Those 8 year old girls are well known to have jaws like bear traps.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 14:49

Surgeons Reattach 8-year-old Girls Arm After Pit Bull (they were fostering) Attacked
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/29 13:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017