Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 13 »

Re: CDC confirms first Ebola case diagnosed in US
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:

Yep. So, the bottom line, Bush proposed a huge increase in funding, Dick Cheney led the implementation, Obama proposed a modest cut.

You obviously do not understand the process of how a bill, including the budget, becomes a law. Presidents do not write budgets, they sign them. Funding falls to Congress.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
For those that think medicine is science - let me debunk that for you. Some of it is. But most everything in the med field is hit or miss. Doctors will experiment on you to get the right cocktail to manage your symptoms.

Medical practice is simply like hitting the side of your tv to get a better signal - there isn't always true cause and effect science - doctors typically roll the dice on any given treatment and hope for improvement. Doctors play the odds every day with our health.

They're doing the same with Ebola. I'm just extremely skeptical that they know what they're doing - and they understand the odds in the game they are playing.

Here's a newsflash for you, experimentation is part of science! Didn't you learn that in high school? Nobody has a foolproof manual for everything in life which is why we experiment to find these out as part of the scientific method.

Of course, you could always go back to using leeches because the church said so.

Also, human experimentation has ethical and legal boundaries. If you are aware of 'shenanigans' then you should report them to the authorities. If you have a better way of researching ebola then by all means report it to the NIH. One thing is for sure, hampering otherwise healthy doctors and scientists with travel bans and quarantines won't help anyone but your paranoia.

It's unscientific to mislead the public. It's unscientific to claim you know how a disease spreads when in fact you don't. It's unscientific to base judgments on statistics without also publishing the degree of confidence in those stats.

Trial and error can be part of a scientific process. The CDC has been making a lot of errors. If anything the science has shown they have got it wrong given the number of infected doctors and nurses.

As for shenanigans, the matter has already been raised to Congress:

http://m.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/10/21-days/381901/#

Posted on: 2014/10/28 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
I can't speak for the military but if you expect otherwise healthy civilians to comply to a 21 mandatory quarantine against their will then you can expect plenty of expensive lawsuits to hit NJ. That pesky Constitution keeps getting in the way of draconian policies.

I'm sure both these governors will do a bit more backtracking in the coming days, if they haven't already.

Debatable. Looks like the Supreme Court has upheld state's rights when it comes to quarantining people.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/27/opinion ... tine/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Posted on: 2014/10/28 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
I can't speak for the military but if you expect otherwise healthy civilians to comply to a 21 mandatory quarantine against their will then you can expect plenty of expensive lawsuits to hit NJ. That pesky Constitution keeps getting in the way of draconian policies.

I'm sure both these governors will do a bit more backtracking in the coming days, if they haven't already.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Since the CDC themselves have been shooting themselves in the foot (telling the exposed nurse it was ok to fly) and changing their protocols almost daily common sense must prevail. The Cuomo/Christie protocols are now endorsed by other Governor's, Democrat and Republican, as well as our military.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 13:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Bull. Total bull.
And you know it, - otherwise you'd provided numbers instead of "tend to correspond".

I really just didn't think you were capable of reading. I still don't think you are, but take a look.

NIH Funding 1994 to 2014
http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43341.pdf

Control of Congress 1855 to 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_S ... s_and_control_of_Congress

The biggest decreases are the last 4 years of Republican control of the House.

There is a big increase in the early 2000s -- when Democrats controlled the Senate.

The biggest gains Republicans are responsible for are in the late 1990s. Doesn't everybody long for 1990s Republicans?

Sorry, pal that' four"bulls" in one. Let me count them for you:

First, you were claiming "cuts". Now you are trying to quietly switch to the after-tax-decreases.

Second, what you demonstrate no honest person would call "tend to correspond". "Correspond" doesn't mean "it coincided once".

Third, you wanted to use the "correspondence" to actually blame Republicans. And this "once" moment doesn't give you this, since this "once" was proposed by President Obama. In fact, Obama won all the budget negotiations he had with Republicans.

Fourth, vice versa the increases in the beginning of 2000 were done, as I just told you, after 9/11 , on Bush's proposal and were implemented by Dick Cheney.

Yep. So, the bottom line, Bush proposed a huge increase in funding, Dick Cheney led the implementation, Obama proposed a modest cut.

THAT is what you trying to call "Republicans cut the funding".

Pitiful.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
For those that think medicine is science - let me debunk that for you. Some of it is. But most everything in the med field is hit or miss. Doctors will experiment on you to get the right cocktail to manage your symptoms.

Medical practice is simply like hitting the side of your tv to get a better signal - there isn't always true cause and effect science - doctors typically roll the dice on any given treatment and hope for improvement. Doctors play the odds every day with our health.

They're doing the same with Ebola. I'm just extremely skeptical that they know what they're doing - and they understand the odds in the game they are playing.

Here's a newsflash for you, experimentation is part of science! Didn't you learn that in high school? Nobody has a foolproof manual for everything in life which is why we experiment to find these out as part of the scientific method.

Of course, you could always go back to using leeches because the church said so.

Also, human experimentation has ethical and legal boundaries. If you are aware of 'shenanigans' then you should report them to the authorities. If you have a better way of researching ebola then by all means report it to the NIH. One thing is for sure, hampering otherwise healthy doctors and scientists with travel bans and quarantines won't help anyone but your paranoia.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

No fever.. what about other symptoms?

Isn't that enough to call shenanigans on the CDC?

Regarding which point?

My original point is that we haven't seen any evidence that an asymptomatic person is contagious. I think its a good sign that outside of West Africa, no non-health care worker has contracted Ebola, even with exposure to the public.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 11:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
jailed overnite is a slap. 3K is a slap.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 10:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
why don't they toughen laws against dui such as automatic license revocation and time behind bars and onerous penalties....

That has already been done. The 'slap on the wrist' days for driving drunk or stoned have long since past. Plus you have wicked insurance surcharges and mandatory alcohol counseling on top of that.

Friend of mine years ago (he is dry now) got busted on DUI. Jailed overnight, lost his license for 18 months, mandatory counseling, $3k surcharge per year on his car insurance (when he DID get his license back). Plus unable to drive he lost his job and had to get by doing temporary back breaking work cleaning up construction sites.

This was all for a first offense that resulted in no damage or injuries.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 10:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i am much more concerned about the drunks behind the wheel than ebola. if cuomo and christie really want to save lives, why don't they toughen laws against dui such as automatic license revocation and time behind bars and onerous penalties....

Posted on: 2014/10/28 8:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Bull. CDC was created to prevent spreading of the communicable diseases. Nobody ever limited them to "active response". And, if they are "emergency room", how come they can't figure out what the procedures are?

I'm sorry that you don't understand the differences between federal agencies. Maybe you should go get your driver's license renewed with the division of taxation.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Bull. Total bull.
And you know it, - otherwise you'd provided numbers instead of "tend to correspond".

I really just didn't think you were capable of reading. I still don't think you are, but take a look.

NIH Funding 1994 to 2014
http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R43341.pdf

Control of Congress 1855 to 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_S ... s_and_control_of_Congress

The biggest decreases are the last 4 years of Republican control of the House.

There is a big increase in the early 2000s -- when Democrats controlled the Senate.

The biggest gains Republicans are responsible for are in the late 1990s. Doesn't everybody long for 1990s Republicans?

Posted on: 2014/10/28 5:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
ianmac47 wrote:
The Center for Disease Control and the National Institute of Health are two different federal programs. One is for active response to crisis (CDC) while the other is responsible for research into cures and preventative care (NIH). Metaphorically, its the difference between the emergency room and medical research.

Bull. CDC was created to prevent spreading of the communicable diseases. Nobody ever limited them to "active response". And, if they are "emergency room", how come they can't figure out what the procedures are?

Quote:
ianmac47 wrote:
NIH funding hasn't been consistently cut, although adjusted for inflation, there are many years where its receiving funding increases below inflation. More importantly, big cuts tend to correspond with Republican control of Congress. And I'm sure I don't have to remind that its Congress, according to the Constitution, that originates all spending bills.

Bull. Total bull.

Anyways, the truth is NIH has enough money to dump more than two thirds of a billion to Study Sex Trade on U.S.-Mexico Border. They have enough money to spend on obesity among lesbians, effect of the anti-alcohol text messages on students, sexual habits of older men, gun control, and so on.

These may be very interesting subjects all, but don't tell me NIH doesn't have enough money for Ebola.

Now, for the clincher. In 2001 the NIH budget for studying potential bioterrorism agents has grown to from 53 million to 1600 million. NIH Ebola funding was 0.8 mil in 2000 (in 2014 it is 42.5 mil). Do you know who was the government point man implementing this huge increase of spending? No? I thought so.
Here. Enjoy.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 4:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Isn't that enough to call shenanigans on the CDC?

Posted on: 2014/10/28 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/28 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Funding for the CDC had TRIPLED from 2001 to 2010. Any issues with spending from the CDC have come from wasting money on stupid programs, of which they have many.

The Center for Disease Control and the National Institute of Health are two different federal programs. One is for active response to crisis (CDC) while the other is responsible for research into cures and preventative care (NIH). Metaphorically, its the difference between the emergency room and medical research.

Or another analogy within the federal government would be FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers. FEMA responds to emergencies as they happen while the Army Corps of Engineers works on civil projects that are meant to mitigate future disasters. Example: FEMA responds to Sandy; USACE build levees and seawalls to prevent future damage.

Funding for the CDC doesn't go to develop vaccines. Medical research is the responsibility of the NIH.

NIH funding hasn't been consistently cut, although adjusted for inflation, there are many years where its receiving funding increases below inflation. More importantly, big cuts tend to correspond with Republican control of Congress. And I'm sure I don't have to remind that its Congress, according to the Constitution, that originates all spending bills.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
@Brewster - the most likely explanation is that the CDC simply don't know. Given the size of the outbreak, and the fact that a large percentage of doctors have managed to contract it - several of the 30 or so US doctors - it's likely more contagious than previous strains/outbreaks. But they're sticking to their quack science script - at least to the press and public.

Point taken, but have we seen any evidence that shows one is contagious even if they are asymptomatic?

I'd argue it has to be the other way around - assume exposed folks are sick until proven healthy. And yes we have seen evidence that up to 12.5% that are sick show no fever:

Source: http://m.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/10/21-days/381901/#

Hatfill: Well, 12.5 percent of patients don't run a fever. In that New England Journal of Medicine study, where they just looked at several thousand of these cases in West Africa, the lead author of the paper is adamant. He says, I sat there, I monitored this patient's temperature myself until they died and they never ran a fever. Well, generating a fever is a fairly complex mechanism in your body. Neutrophils and cytokines are involved. One of the things a virus does is it inhibits neutrophil activation. Ebola's outer glycoprotein can secrete a truncated version of it. You've seen the planes come over and shoot out the flares so the missile can't get them. That's what Ebola's doing. It's shooting out these little truncated bits of glycoprotein as flares. It's masking itself. Indirectly, its inhibiting neutrophil activation, and what they release tell us to run a fever.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
@Brewster - the most likely explanation is that the CDC simply don't know. Given the size of the outbreak, and the fact that a large percentage of doctors have managed to contract it - several of the 30 or so US doctors - it's likely more contagious than previous strains/outbreaks. But they're sticking to their quack science script - at least to the press and public.

Point taken, but have we seen any evidence that shows one is contagious even if they are asymptomatic?

I'd argue it has to be the other way around - assume exposed folks are sick until proven healthy. And yes we have seen evidence that up to 12.5% that are sick show no fever:

Source: http://m.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/10/21-days/381901/#

Hatfill: Well, 12.5 percent of patients don't run a fever. In that New England Journal of Medicine study, where they just looked at several thousand of these cases in West Africa, the lead author of the paper is adamant. He says, I sat there, I monitored this patient's temperature myself until they died and they never ran a fever. Well, generating a fever is a fairly complex mechanism in your body. Neutrophils and cytokines are involved. One of the things a virus does is it inhibits neutrophil activation. Ebola's outer glycoprotein can secrete a truncated version of it. You've seen the planes come over and shoot out the flares so the missile can't get them. That's what Ebola's doing. It's shooting out these little truncated bits of glycoprotein as flares. It's masking itself. Indirectly, its inhibiting neutrophil activation, and what they release tell us to run a fever.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
I'm glad the NJ nurse was allowed to fulfill her quarantine at home.

Yes so am I, back in Maine and not NJ.

Well, either way, the risk to you is the same.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Yes so am I, back in Maine and not NJ.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/28 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/28 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/28 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
What I can't figure, since they have said repeatedly that the NY doctor was not contagious because his only symptom at the time he went into isolation was fever, why are they chasing down everyone he was in contact with? Either that means what they tell us about it's contagiousness in early stage is BS and we should be quarantining, or they're completely overreacting. But clearly we can't deal with tracking down every contact for dozens of returning medicos who've gone symptomatic.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 0:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Funding for the CDC had TRIPLED from 2001 to 2010. Any issues with spending from the CDC have come from wasting money on stupid programs, of which they have many.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
In other words 'I've got nothing' is what you're saying re:CDC funding, lol.

Given their record on this, it's easy to see why their funding was cut. We'd be better off cutting deals with private industry, than sinking public money into a clueless public entity like the CDC.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In other words 'I've got nothing' is what you're saying re:CDC funding, lol.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
isn't the GOP mantra "Cut, cut, cut" and "war, war, war!"

Posted on: 2014/10/27 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
isn't the GOP mantra "Cut, cut, cut" and "war, war, war!"

Posted on: 2014/10/27 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Simply untrue.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
there might have already been a cure for ebola, if the cdc was not forced to cut research due to cuts forced by the GOP.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 20:26

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017