Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 13 »

Re: CDC confirms first Ebola case diagnosed in US
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
?She felt like you would treat a dog better than she?s been treated,? the mother said.

She can thank the "smug" Drs. Snyderman and Spencer for their emergency soup run and urgent bowling outing for her aggressive screening and treatment.

Grow up.

You're missing the point. The point was the process was unorganized and unprofessional. The harder they make this process, the more people will want to avoid it.

Maybe take your own advice?

Posted on: 2014/10/26 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think the "smug" attitude is directly and specifically for her. For anyone who has dealt with government workers, any and ALL airport workers, and actually any and all low wage workers, their standard attitude is smug and contempt - even though they were not forced to do the job. Most of those people gave me the feeling that they're too good for their job.

I remember many years ago while I was applying for a US citizenship, I was SO SO SO upset with the attitude of the people that I dealt with that I almost said, "F&*K it, it's not worth my time to get the citizenship while I get treated like sh&t by these people.

Anyone who have gone through security check lines at the airport would have experienced such "smug: attitude.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
NYTimes:Quarantined "Doctors without Borders" Nurse Criticizes Treatment at Newark Airport

==================

"...Ms. Hickox said that four hours after she landed at the airport, her fever registered 101 degrees when it was taken with a forehead scanner by a ?smug"-looking female officer in a quarantine section. The above-normal reading, she said, was because she was upset and her face was flush with anxiety over being detained with no reason given.."

"Ms. Hickox?s mother, Karen Hickox, said her daughter called her Saturday morning, crying in frustration at being held in a tent at the hospital without being told when she could leave."

?She felt like you would treat a dog better than she?s been treated,? the mother said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/nyr ... s-negative-for-ebola.html

Posted on: 2014/10/25 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

She can thank the "smug" Drs. Snyderman and Spencer for their emergency soup run and urgent bowling outing for her aggressive screening and treatment.

Grow up.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
NYTimes:Quarantined "Doctors without Borders" Nurse Criticizes Treatment at Newark Airport

==================

"...Ms. Hickox said that four hours after she landed at the airport, her fever registered 101 degrees when it was taken with a forehead scanner by a ?smug"-looking female officer in a quarantine section. The above-normal reading, she said, was because she was upset and her face was flush with anxiety over being detained with no reason given.."

"Ms. Hickox?s mother, Karen Hickox, said her daughter called her Saturday morning, crying in frustration at being held in a tent at the hospital without being told when she could leave."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/nyr ... s-negative-for-ebola.html

Posted on: 2014/10/25 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
A Defense Of The Ebola Quarantine

Forbes
October 25, 2014

When Andrew Cuomo and Chris Christie, the governors of New York and New Jersey, announced that they would be putting in place an enforced quarantine when medical workers who had contact with Ebola in Liberia, Sierra Leone, or Guinea enter the United States, my immediate reaction was that this was a bad decision. The reason: it would make it practically impossible to for doctors to volunteer to go to those places and risk their lives to try to help end the epidemic...

...But not everyone agrees. I also contacted Pascal J. Imperato, the Dean at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and former New York City Health Commissioner. He surprised me with the strength of his response. His basic response to the idea that fewer volunteers will be going to Africa is to say that maybe volunteers aren?t that effective anyway, and that their lack of actual experience may make them more likely to catch Ebola. Imperato writes:

I strongly support the decision by New York and New Jersey to quarantine those entering these states who have been exposed to those with active Ebola disease infections in Africa. This especially applies to volunteer US health care workers who have been providing health care to Ebola patients in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone. As demonstrated by the case of Dr. Craig Spencer, self-monitoring simply does not work. The New York and New Jersey quarantine regulations are timely since they address the next phase in the control and prevention of this epidemic, and that is the responsible management of returning medical volunteers and others with a history of close contact with Ebola patients.

I would add that while the willingness of such volunteers to go to West Africa is admirable, good intentions are no substitute for competent practice and experience in caring for Ebola patients. Most American medical volunteers working in the epidemic zone are there short-term, their pre-departure preparation excellent to uneven, and their previous experience in treating patients with a highly communicable and deadly disease often non-existent.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has hesitated to implement the quarantine regulations now in force in New York and New Jersey out of a concern that they will discourage medical volunteers from going to the epidemic zone in West Africa. However, such a position is based on an unproven assumption that these volunteers are vital to the treatment of Ebola patients. This assumption has not yet been supported by firm evidence. A revolving door of short term and quickly trained American volunteers leaves many understandably uncomfortable since they are often trained, but not practice experienced. It is the latter that is crucial in preventing care givers from acquiring this infection in a therapeutic setting.

================================

Ebola quarantine will be imposed for all health workers returning from Africa in NY, NJ

By REUTERS October 25, 2014

...The policy change came a day after Dr. Craig Spencer, a 33-year-old New Yorker, was diagnosed with Ebola at Bellevue Hospital soon after returning from Guinea. Spencer had been working with Ebola patients in the hard-hit West African country for the humanitarian group Doctors Without Borders.

"He's a doctor and even he didn't follow the guidelines for the quarantine, let's be honest," Cuomo said...

...Christie said that people facing quarantine orders who live in New York or New Jersey will be able to be quarantined in their homes. Those from outside the area will be sent to some sort of medical facility, he said.

=====================
http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewhe ... -of-the-ebola-quarantine/
====================
http://www.amny.com/news/ebola-quarantine-in-ny-1.9543040

Posted on: 2014/10/25 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I was thinking today, that I don't believe Ebola will get a real foothold in the US, if for no other reason than we're really squeamish about holding and caring for loved ones spewing blood and stuff from all their orifices, unlike the um, "savages". But this is a dress rehearsal for something even worse, and it's good to show where the system is weak. I think the doc should have laid low.

Speaking of the "S" word, here's my favorite story. Subway, mid 80's. Bad old NYC, car is covered in graffiti. Howling through the car comes a wolf pack of, um, "urban youth", the kind that Bernie Getz let have it. After they're gone the gent across the car from me, a dead ringer for John Houseman in a 3 piece suit, looks up at me from his Journal, says: "savages", and returns to his stock news.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
"Since church ministers declared Ebola was a plague sent by God to punish sodomy in Liberia, the violence towards gays has escalated. They're even asking for the death penalty. We're living in fear,"

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6034256

Remember that these savages are the reason Ebola continues to spread in Africa. It's not like America can just waltz in there, educate them, and everything gets better. And yes, given their utterly backward beliefs as a whole, I think I used an appropriate term.

You act superior to them, as if you'd be any different if you were from there.

That's a fair point, I hadn't thought of that. I'd like to think I would not be like that if I was from there, but I certainly couldn't say that for sure.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
"Since church ministers declared Ebola was a plague sent by God to punish sodomy in Liberia, the violence towards gays has escalated. They're even asking for the death penalty. We're living in fear,"

Remember that these savages are the reason Ebola continues to spread in Africa. It's not like America can just waltz in there, educate them, and everything gets better. And yes, given their utterly backward beliefs as a whole, I think I used an appropriate term.

You act superior to them, as if you'd be any different if you were from there.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
We simply don't know enough about Ebola to be believing some of the sweeping statements made by the CDC.

How fast the virus is mutating? Could it become airbone in humans - like it the Ebola Reston strain did in monkeys? Or what happens when someone catches a respiratory infection alongside Ebola?

Past statistics don't predict future outcomes - when so little is really known about the virus.

See http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/health/ebola-airborne/

Today, the Ebola virus spreads only through direct contact with bodily fluids, such as blood and vomit. But some of the nation's top infectious disease experts worry that this deadly virus could mutate and be transmitted just by a cough or a sneeze.

"It's the single greatest concern I've ever had in my 40-year public health career," said Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. "I can't imagine anything in my career -- and this includes HIV -- that would be more devastating to the world than a respiratory transmissible Ebola virus."

The World Health Organization says its scientists are unaware of any virus that has dramatically changed its mode of transmission.

"For example, the H5N1 avian influenza virus... has probably circulated through many billions of birds for at least two decades. Its mode of transmission remains basically unchanged. Speculation that Ebola virus disease might mutate into a form that could easily spread among humans through the air is just that: speculation, unsubstantiated by any evidence."

Osterholm and other experts couldn't think of another virus that has made the transition from non-airborne to airborne in humans. They say the chances are relatively small that Ebola will make that jump. But as the virus spreads, they warned, the likelihood increases.

Every time a new person gets Ebola, the virus gets another chance to mutate and develop new capabilities. Osterholm calls it "genetic roulette."

As of October 1, there have been more than 7,100 cases of Ebola, with 3,330 deaths, according to the World Health Organization, which has said the virus is spreading at a much faster rate than it was earlier in the outbreak.

Ebola is an RNA virus, which means every time it copies itself, it makes one or two mutations. Many of those mutations mean nothing, but some of them might be able to change the way the virus behaves inside the human body.
"Imagine every time you copy an essay, you change a word or two. Eventually, it's going to change the meaning of the essay," said Dr. C.J. Peters, one of the heroes featured in "The Hot Zone."

That book chronicles the 1989 outbreak of Ebola Reston, which was transmitted among monkeys by breathing. In 2012, Canadian researchers found that Ebola Zaire, which is involved in the current outbreak, was passed from pigs to monkeys in the air.

Dr. James Le Duc, the director of the Galveston National Laboratory at the University of Texas, said the problem is that no one is keeping track of the mutations happening across West Africa, so no one really knows what the virus has become.

One group of researchers looked at how Ebola changed over a short period of time in just one area in Sierra Leone early on in the outbreak, before it was spreading as fast as it is now. They found more than 300 genetic changes in the virus.

"It's frightening to look at how much this virus mutated within just three weeks," said Dr. Pardis Sabeti, an associate professor at Harvard and senior associate member of the Broad Institute, where the research was done.
Even without becoming airborne, the virus has overwhelmed efforts to stop it.

Osterholm commended groups like Doctors Without Borders but said uncoordinated efforts by individual organizations are no match for Ebola spreading swiftly through urban areas.

"This is largely dysfunctional. Nobody's in command, and nobody's in charge," he said. "It's like not having air traffic control at an airport. The planes would just crash into each other."

Posted on: 2014/10/25 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Just use the n word, you know you want to.

I think factual stories describing their beliefs and actions are sufficient to show everyone the true story. People can draw their own conclusions.

Close enough, you fuckin' racist!

Posted on: 2014/10/24 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I think factual stories describing their beliefs and actions are sufficient to show everyone the true story. People can draw their own conclusions.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/24 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/24 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
Benghazi.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
The Democratic campaign ads trying to deflect Obama's handling of the Ebola situation by blaming it on Republican's is exactly as the Washington Post said it is-a 'whopper' of a lie, 4 Pinocchio's. This is one time their strategy of 'never let a crisis go to waste' is backfiring.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:
ianmac47 wrote:

Don't worry, we can all get the vaccine the National Institute of Health Developed five years ago. Oh, wait, that's right. Conservatives cut funding to NIH, so they didn't have money for a vaccine.

Sorry, pal, you'd be disappointed to know that your leaders have been lying to you again.

Washington Post: The absurd claim that only Republicans are to blame for cuts to Ebola research, they award it "4 Pinocchios" and that from the decidedly left publication that needed years to figure out that "you can keep your insurance" was a lie.

Basically, they explain two things. First, the "cut" was proposed by Obama. Second, you can't seriously blame the problem on that small cut, because Clinton and Bush did greatly increase the overall budget over years and that "cut" was not all that big, more like a hiccup.

Other articles on the same subject. No math knowledge is required, you can just take a look at the nice pictures that illustrate the spending:
CATO: Centers for Disease Control Spending
Reason: Can You Blame Ebola Outbreak on "Republican Cuts" to Health Budgets?

Also, you'd be interested that people who complain that they didn't have enough money to study Ebola, somehow managed to find resources to study things like the sex drive of Japanese quail. You can google a lot more stories about what the NIH and the CDC do have money for.

I said conservatives cut funding-- not republicans or democrats. People should stop assuming that just because someone is a member of the democratic party, they aren't conservative.

And as for links to CATO institute propaganda, weeee! so what. I could cite the dump I took this morning and that would be just about as informative as dogmatic droll coming from CATO.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
That is where feasibility vs. risks comes into play:
- To quarantine a dog and appease people, even if it is not linked to any risk (perception) is easy to implement and don't have any big consequences.
- To quarantine anybody coming from an area with Ebola is disproportionate, close to impossible to implement and with major consequences...

One is smart, the other one not so much...

And by the way, do I think this doctor that was in direct contact with Ebola patients in West Africa should have gone bowling, to a concert, riding public transportation despite not feeling very well? I don't. Not because he put put people at risks but because of how it is perceived and how it fuels paranoia...

Posted on: 2014/10/24 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Then it should also be a precaution to deny entry to anyone who's been in the Ebola death zone for three weeks after they've left. Just a smart precaution.

Quote:

manu wrote:
To quarantine the dog is indeed precaution, not paranoia. I would assume, it allows them to observe and study the disease as well.

Reaction of a few on this board is definitively paranoia though. It is not precaution...

It does astound me that there are no hard and fast rules on this sort of thing. It's also why you can't blame people for not trusting that the government can handle this sort of thing.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Then it should also be a precaution to deny entry to anyone who's been in the Ebola death zone for three weeks after they've left. Just a smart precaution.

Quote:

manu wrote:
To quarantine the dog is indeed precaution, not paranoia. I would assume, it allows them to observe and study the disease as well.

Reaction of a few on this board is definitively paranoia though. It is not precaution...

Posted on: 2014/10/24 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/24 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

There's a big difference between skepticism and paranoia.

Let?s just say that fears of low probability hazards often grab our attention and imagination more than significant threats to our health and mortality. I?m not trained in psychology so I?m no expert in why we play this game with ourselves, but as an example, it?s obvious that many people have greater concerns about things like terrorism, assault?and now Ebola?than say, cancer. Perhaps that?s because the much, much higher probability of developing cancer rather than getting blown up, beaten up, or contracting Ebola is more genuinely frightening.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

manu wrote:
There is not one single case of a dog or cat contracting Ebola, even in West Africa.

Enough with the paranoia.

Then why did the CDC quarantine the dog if there wasn't a possibility of it being infected?

Because it can carry it. It's not paranoia, it's precaution. If they didn't do it, you'd have useful idiots screaming "why didn't they quarantine the dog!?"

Posted on: 2014/10/24 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

manu wrote:
There is not one single case of a dog or cat contracting Ebola, even in West Africa.

Then why did the CDC quarantine the dog if there wasn't a possibility of it being infected?

Posted on: 2014/10/24 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/24 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

manu wrote:
Agreed. Even in the Texas hospital that handled the first patient very poorly, leaving him in the waiting room for hours and sending him home, none of his relatives or other waiting room patients appeared to have contracted the disease.

Even in the case of the nurse that decided to fly over the week-end despite being sick, nobody else contracted the disease.

There's a big difference between skepticism and paranoia. The medical profession have supposedly known how to isolate Ebola for years. Why have they repeatedly failed in the past few months? Heck they don't even know if Ebola can be transmitted through pets. How many dogs and cats did those infected doctors and nurses come into contact with?

Enough with the complacency.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. Even in the Texas hospital that handled the first patient very poorly, leaving him in the waiting room for hours and sending him home, none of his relatives or other waiting room patients appeared to have contracted the disease.

Even in the case of the nurse that decided to fly over the week-end despite being sick, nobody else contracted the disease.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

MidwestTransplant wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I gotta say, I generally share your sentiment about Doctors without Borders but have you read about what this doctor did? He started feeling off on Tuesday, but decided to go bowling, rode the subway, and took Uber cabs on Wednesday. A doctor is this fucking stupid?

Why you shouldn?t freak out about getting Ebola on the New York subway, or at a bowling alley

Here's the problem. A nurse in Spain contracted it - plus authorities there put down the nurse's dog. Two nurses in Dallas contracted it - in a hospital that was supposedly prepared for it. Now we hear another doctor contracted it overseas - one of several, and brought it back to the US.

That all tells me that the CDC and medical world don't really have a clue about how it's transmitted and the safety measures needed to contain it. Either that or everyone coming into contact with it are being incredibly complacent.

The only good news is that all these health worker cases are people in contact with VERY sick patients, the ones spewing virus laden EVERYTHING from vomit to blood. An early case like the NY doctor with just a fever wasn't spreading fluids on the subway, though his fiance has to be very high risk. I simply can't believe he wasn't asked to just lay low for a few weeks.

I can't remember, has there been a non-medical person who has caught it here?

Boris, the public can't have it both ways, an FDA that speeds the process and an FDA that rigorously tests drugs to keep the population safe. We have had drug disasters, Thalidomide and Fen-Phen come to mind, there are others.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bingo. For all this talk about how carrier's cannot spread the virus unless symptomatic, can they assure us that it's not contagious a) an hour before they become symptomatic, b) two hours before, c) three hours before?

Because it seems like you go 0-100 mph with this virus-the Dr went on a three mile run, sweating the whole time I'd guess, then the next day he's wrapped like a mummy with the plague?

What doesn't seem to be talked about is how HE got it. He's fully aware of every bit of protocol, and still got it. And Obama decides to send several thousand GI's to the death zone with FOUR FREAKING HOURS of classes about Ebola. We have a Dr. with the disease, a couple of RN's with it, and they KNEW how to prevent it. So a couple thousand GI's with four hours aren't at risk? It boggles the mind.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MidwestTransplant wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

I gotta say, I generally share your sentiment about Doctors without Borders but have you read about what this doctor did? He started feeling off on Tuesday, but decided to go bowling, rode the subway, and took Uber cabs on Wednesday. A doctor is this fucking stupid?

Why you shouldn?t freak out about getting Ebola on the New York subway, or at a bowling alley

Here's the problem. A nurse in Spain contracted it - plus authorities there put down the nurse's dog. Two nurses in Dallas contracted it - in a hospital that was supposedly prepared for it. Now we hear another doctor contracted it overseas - one of several, and brought it back to the US.

That all tells me that the CDC and medical world don't really have a clue about how it's transmitted and the safety measures needed to contain it. Either that or everyone coming into contact with it are being incredibly complacent.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 15:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/24 14:55

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017