Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 2014 Board of Ed Candidates
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, you really do have your own brand of logic.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The difference between Rorschach and me, I do not hide behind a phony name calling someone a lunatic. I want someone who will make sure students have heat in buildings, running water, and book supplies. For some reason Joshua, this is not an important issue to the present board, teachers should not have to attend meetings and complain about this. Although I will say, Marilyn Roman, does speak up. I also want someone who will watch my tax dollars.

Then why are you endorsing that slate? I recall Ellen Simon, before she was elected, raising the issue of lead in drinking water at some schools. Lorenzo Richardson actually got up and told the board to ignore her! He said that "Parents for Progress" was making an issue of it solely for election purposes.

Funny, you didn't ask him about that. Did you miss that BOE meeting? I thought you attended meetings.

Yvonne supports the Teacher's Union candidates because they are fiercely anti-Fulop, and as the adage goes "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." As insignificant and psychotic these looney tunes are, they hate Fulop more than cancer and will back anyone who is also against him.

You are not correct, I support Children First Team, the Teacher's Union Team does not have all of the candidates of Children First Team. Know the facts before you start hurling insults.

Posted on: 2014/10/25 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The difference between Rorschach and me, I do not hide behind a phony name calling someone a lunatic. I want someone who will make sure students have heat in buildings, running water, and book supplies. For some reason Joshua, this is not an important issue to the present board, teachers should not have to attend meetings and complain about this. Although I will say, Marilyn Roman, does speak up. I also want someone who will watch my tax dollars.

Then why are you endorsing that slate? I recall Ellen Simon, before she was elected, raising the issue of lead in drinking water at some schools. Lorenzo Richardson actually got up and told the board to ignore her! He said that "Parents for Progress" was making an issue of it solely for election purposes.

Funny, you didn't ask him about that. Did you miss that BOE meeting? I thought you attended meetings.

Yvonne supports the Teacher's Union candidates because they are fiercely anti-Fulop, and as the adage goes "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." As insignificant and psychotic these looney tunes are, they hate Fulop more than cancer and will back anyone who is also against him.

Posted on: 2014/10/24 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Three school board races carry weight into the future for key power players

PolitickerNJ
By Max Pizarro | 10/23/14 10:11pm

Jersey City is interesting because it is the first election since he has become mayor in which Steven Fulop is not contending.

He built his political capital on school board elections.

Now that he?s in city hall, the mayor has a bigger fiefdom and broader alliances.

The group he once partnered with, David Tepper?s Parents for Progress, continues to wage a battle for control, however, against the local-New Jersey Education Association-backed school board.

The NJEA has poured $100K into the race.

Parents for Progress has countered with around $85k.

With half his city hall troops on one side of the battle and half on the other side, Fulop, according to a source, ?has washed his hands? of the school board.

Tepper and his group want the three seats in contention in November on the nine-member board.

The vouchers proponent lost in Newark and lost in Trenton earlier this year. Jersey City is now his prime battlefront.

Read more
http://politickernj.com/2014/10/three ... re-for-key-power-players/

Posted on: 2014/10/24 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yes, JSleeze, a name that truly describes your character, yes retail is a job but it pays between $21,000 to $22,000 a year. How do you do that and pay back a college loan?
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes412031.htm

Yvonne, we have no idea if Gerald Lyons story is even true. We don't know if he knows 10 graduates with high paying jobs and one in retail but chose to tell the story of the retailer.

Ultimately, he gave advice that would only appeal to a person driven by greed. That isn't what an educator should be doing.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 15:24
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, JSleeze, a name that truly describes your character, yes retail is a job but it pays between $21,000 to $22,000 a year. How do you do that and pay back a college loan?
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes412031.htm

Posted on: 2014/10/8 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Is this 2014 JC Board of Education election supposed to be a secret? I have not seen much press about it. It seems like there was much more pre-election information in the past.

I found this on ballotpedia?.

2014 JC BOE Election

Posted on: 2014/10/8 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The search for the next BoE President has been found - Hallelujah, she will fit in perfectly !

Posted on: 2014/10/8 0:20
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Here is an article that states, America has a shortage of tradesmen: You know, the people that can get employment unlike some college grad working in retail.
http://www.irwin.com/press-center/press-release/06-03-2013/53

Good lord, woman. Where on earth did you teach?? Someone "working in retail" has "employment". I get your broader, if silly, point. But your inability to express your thoughts in even passable English terrifies me, given the pride you take in pointing to your career as a teacher. Explains the locals a bit, I guess.

Sometimes one's passion is scary and some parents / educators give poor advice.

A classic example !

I'd like an x - factor type process to vetting out candidates for the BoE positions !

Posted on: 2014/10/8 0:10
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Here is an article that states, America has a shortage of tradesmen: You know, the people that can get employment unlike some college grad working in retail.

Good lord, woman. Where on earth did you teach?? Someone "working in retail" has "employment". I get your broader, if silly, point. But your inability to express your thoughts in even passable English terrifies me, given the pride you take in pointing to your career as a teacher. Explains the locals a bit, I guess.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with pebbles - Its more important to do something you have a passion for then doing something that's based on monetary reward - We have enough inept money driven hacks out there doing a crap job ... just look at many of our politicians and then you also have those around you that tread off to work unhappy and miserable.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Nobody said people shouldn't go into trade.

Read carefully this time...

I find it deplorable that an educator would tell someone that wants to learn something that it is a bad idea. Instead of the educator wanting their friend to follow their dreams, the educator has said that they should do something purely for money.

If Mr. Lyons, who clearly chose an occupation which doesn't tend to make a lot of money, had chosen to follow the instructions he is giving others, he'd have become a plumber or an electrician instead.

Lastly, if Mr. Lyons' friend had listened to the suggestion, who is to say that the guy would have a job? Who is to say that the guy would remotely like the job he was doing?

My grandmother used to tell me a story about how her guidance counselor told her not to go to college and pushed her into a trade. Even into her late 80's, she was furious about listening to that advice instead of following her dreams and goals.

If you want to be a plumber, go be a plumber. But don't you damn well tell other people that they shouldn't study and gain a college degree in something they like simply for money.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 23:06
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The BoE candidates should all be dumped and a committee of senior scholars from all tiers of the educational system should be employed to sort out the educational needs for our children.

The BoE has been a collection of inept wannabe politicians and ego / publicity hungry junkies that have screwed up our kids educational needs for far too long.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 23:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/7 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
But you left out how his former student is now working at a retail store because he needs to pay off the college loan. We need people like Gerald Lyons to speak the truth.

No, I didn?t leave it out. The story is anecdotal and, quite possibly, completely made up. It is also possible that Gerald Lyons chose that story over the 10 other stories he knows of people that went to college and make really good money and are successfully employed.

I also find it rather disgusting (yes, disgusting) that we have an educator that would tell someone to not study and learn about a topic that the person is genuinely interested in simply because they won?t make a lot of money.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Today, an electrician or plumber has a more secured future than a college graduate who studied liberal arts. Gerald wants more programs that will train students for real jobs and the real jobs today does not necessarily mean a college degree.

You?re a fool if you think electricians and plumbers have secure futures. These people are contractors with heavy insurance bills and heavy overhead costs, like gasoline. Just as in any market, if you flood it with more electricians and plumbers, the actual salary will be lower because there will be more competition.

Gerald Lyons is in charge of public schools. He covers up through high school, not beyond. What he should be doing is working on getting those kids as educated in the widest array of topics so that they can find their own future for themselves.

The available jobs for non-college graduates are low. The demand just isn?t there. College debt is definitely a problem, but telling people to not bother with college might be about the dumbest thing I?ve ever heard ever dictated from a person in that type of position.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 20:55
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad Mr. Richardson now agrees that lead in the water is a problem. When Ellen Simon, then head of Parents for Progress, raised this issue, told the board that it was a red herring.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/7 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
But you left out how his former student is now working at a retail store because he needs to pay off the college loan. We need people like Gerald Lyons to speak the truth. Today, an electrician or plumber has a more secured future than a college graduate who studied liberal arts. Gerald wants more programs that will train students for real jobs and the real jobs today does not necessarily mean a college degree.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This is a classic example of distorting what a person says. Lyons said and I agree, students are graduating from college with $100,000 debt and cannot find jobs in those fields. He is being honest but he also said, he believes students should have some sort of advanced education. Sadly, I know a lawyer who was downsized in 2008 and worked as salesclerk. He is now doing part time work in the field but those jobs are not coming back. We need to train students in fields where they can find jobs, not load them with college debt. It is amazing how people here distort what someone says.

That is not a distortion of what he said. It is exactly what he said. He gave a parable about how he told his friend that it would be a bad idea to get a degree in something that the friend clearly has an interest in.

I'm sorry, but you don't guide people to make decisions purely based on finance alone. All you end up with is people working jobs that they hate.

Additionally, high schools are not career centers. They are there to provided a well rounded education in a variety of topics.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 17:12
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is a classic example of distorting what a person says. Lyons said and I agree, students are graduating from college with $100,000 debt and cannot find jobs in those fields. He is being honest but he also said, he believes students should have some sort of advanced education. Sadly, I know a lawyer who was downsized in 2008 and worked as salesclerk. He is now doing part time work in the field but those jobs are not coming back. We need to train students in fields where they can find jobs, not load them with college debt. It is amazing how people here distort what someone says.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Pebble, I totally disagree, we have a city council which are filled with good people, I will grant them that, but are clueless on what happened before. When people have no history of what happen they you have a "rubber stamp" council.

No. This is not accurate. Not knowing what the previous council meeting talked about does not mean you are a rubber stamp for what others are pushing forward. They might not be aware of a failed idea that was attempted, but that has absolutely nothing to do with rubber stamping ideas.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The same is true with the school board. Why are we giving out contracts but teachers come to the board to complain about the lack of supplies?

I have no idea how you have contrived a sentence with those words. What contracts are you complaining about that are preventing supplies?

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Or they complain that the water in the building is not working or there is no heat?

Yes, these are complaints that occur because, like with home ownership, things break. Maintenance must be performed. Repairs cost money and that means the board must approve it. Where are people supposed to go in order to state that they have no heat?

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I wish all the of board of ed candidates had Richardson's knowledge.

Again, I?ve met the man. I do not see ?knowledge.? I believe the man has passion and a desire to see the schools improve. However, I also see that he?s a guy that loves hearing his own voice. He?ll rant on and on and the end will have zero focus and reference to what he started with nor will it have a point of problem followed by a conclusive theory of resolution.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
They don't and at this moment the school board during election time do not even video tape the meetings, not including the issue of public comments. They believe it gives unfair advantage to other candidates, which is silly. The council meetings are taped during municipal elections, they just don't want the public to see what is going on

In summation to all that you?ve written, you really don?t have an argument as to why someone absolutely must be at meetings in order to be elected. Your best argument is that you believe not attending meetings makes you a rubber stamp for? somebody, but you don?t even say who.

The entire meme that you put forward is very much like the rants that Richardson makes. It is devoid of cohesive ideas. It lacks a concise description of a specific explanation on why you believe attending meetings is the only qualifier.

Quote:
He?s advocating that kids don?t go to college. Unreal?

After hearing that interview, I can?t see a reason that this guy should continue with his position on the Board.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 16:27
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
I like Monica Kress. Professional educator, hands-on experience in administration and as a teacher, both in inner-city environments. Local business-owner. And a nice, seemingly sane and intelligent person. Young, vibrant, willing to serve, with the credentials to back it up. What's not to like?

Posted on: 2014/10/7 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So you cannot excuse Richardson, but ignore the board for not filing a police report? It is obvious they know it was not a threat but a person who hides his face and name wants to take his comment to the next level.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It all depends on your definition of a low-life. I find both Lorenzo Richardson and Gerald Lyons to be gentlemen and to the point. They don't hide behind phony names and masks.

To quote a line from a movie "anonymity is like a warm blanket".

Yes, I consider any person that would suggest the death of others would be a preferable outcome to be a lowlife scum.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It all depends on your definition of a low-life. I find both Lorenzo Richardson and Gerald Lyons to be gentlemen and to the point. They don't hide behind phony names and masks.

Posted on: 2014/10/7 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
It's very disappointing that Gerry Lyons allied himself with a no account lowlife like Lorenzo Richardson. I hope the Fulop team does all they can to keep them both out of office.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/6 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The meetings I have attended did not go that way. Parents and teachers are concerned about facilities. It is nice to know Richardson gets under your skin. The three members, Gina who is concerned about facilities and the lack of nurses in schools, Gerald, a teacher who works as a county teacher, understands curriculum and Lorenzo, with his background with budgets bring a balance as new board members.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/4 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/3 23:46

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017