Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City Board of Education Election- The Children First Team
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, that's known as the vig (a/k/a "juice," "cut," "take.")

Posted on: 2014/10/29 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Joshua, if you privatized a contract then part of the money goes to the teacher not the total amount, that means teachers are working another job and are stress out. Stress out teachers should not be in a classroom especially working in urban environment.

Posted on: 2014/10/29 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I actually agree with Mr. Lyons on Source for Teachers up to a point. Though it's important to realize what that's really about. The Source for Teachers contract is more about replacing functions in central office than replacing our substitute teachers. At the debate one year ago, Gerald pointed this out himself, noting that the district was basically paying S4T to give the subs we were already using back to us.

Central Office just wasn't effectively assigning subs out. I believe the coverage rate was in the 75-80% range. With S4T the coverage rate was closer to 95%.

Personally I think that the district should be able to develop these capabilities in house. Right now we are essentially paying a vig to S4T for each teacher they assign. It is my understanding that the software used by S4T to make the assignments is off the shelf software that a district can purchase. And for the amount we pay S4T under the contract we could either hire someone to oversee the work or just train up whoever was doing the work in central office.

As I recall, when the contract was renewed this year, some of the board members agreed to renew it but explicitly said that they saw it as a temporary measure and that they expected the superintendent to develop this capacity in house.

As for the quality of the subs, its basically the same pool of workers that is looking to substitute teach in the various districts in this region. The idea that we had "local" subs and now were getting "out of towners" seems fanciful. I have no idea of the sub who slapped the student had previously worked in the district, but it's a real stretch to blame that on Source 4 Teachers.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/18 4:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

Wow. Is that it? Does this video list all the reasons to vote for "The Children First Team"? There is basically nothing in it...

So you don't care about saving taxpayers' money? Perhaps you live in a tax abated building and don't pay board of ed taxes so you don't care.

Oh. I do care. But if your strongest example is the addition of a staff member at $35k a year then i think your argument is quite weak.
Stronger than the "gate story" though but I don't think that says much as I am still wondering why this is even in the video.

Are these really the only contributions of the 3 people on the Children First list worth mentioning? nothing else, really? And that should convince me to vote for them????

Finally, not sure how this is relevant but i don't live in a tax abated building.

1. Lorenzo's comments about hiring someone when then layoffs happened is valid.
2. Gina's comments about the snow/ice around the school and the building being closed is valid. Children/adults should not have to walk on snow to get to school.
3. Gerald's comments about giving a contract to hire substitute teachers for $10,000 a day. First, this contractor must make money before any teacher is hired so who is being hired? It is better to hire locally. The teacher who slapped the student came from that contract.
4. These are serious issues, I am sure if they do not get elected, the board of ed will give a contract to Cerf for while some students in certain schools still have no books.

I am not saying they are invalid, I am saying they are weak and that you are not doing these candidates any favor with your video.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

Wow. Is that it? Does this video list all the reasons to vote for "The Children First Team"? There is basically nothing in it...

So you don't care about saving taxpayers' money? Perhaps you live in a tax abated building and don't pay board of ed taxes so you don't care.

Oh. I do care. But if your strongest example is the addition of a staff member at $35k a year then i think your argument is quite weak.
Stronger than the "gate story" though but I don't think that says much as I am still wondering why this is even in the video.

Are these really the only contributions of the 3 people on the Children First list worth mentioning? nothing else, really? And that should convince me to vote for them????

Finally, not sure how this is relevant but i don't live in a tax abated building.

1. Lorenzo's comments about hiring someone when then layoffs happened is valid.
2. Gina's comments about the snow/ice around the school and the building being closed is valid. Children/adults should not have to walk on snow to get to school.
3. Gerald's comments about giving a contract to hire substitute teachers for $10,000 a day. First, this contractor must make money before any teacher is hired so who is being hired? It is better to hire locally. The teacher who slapped the student came from that contract.
4. These are serious issues, I am sure if they do not get elected, the board of ed will give a contract to Cerf for while some students in certain schools still have no books.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/10/28 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

manu wrote:
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/10/28 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/10/28 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/28 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think Ellen's "claim to fame" was that she reported lead in the water before anyone else. The EPA had notified the district of that back in 2006. Many groups have raised the issue.

Which is what makes Mr. Richardson's comments at the BOE meeting all the more appalling. It is an issue that he previously recognized as important, yet told the board to ignore it once P4P raised it as an issue.

Posted on: 2014/10/28 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:And please god- we already got one richardson out of office, must be bring in another?!?!

+1000

Posted on: 2014/10/28 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/11 10:27
Group:
Registered Users
Ellen Simon's claim to fame about bringing to light the lead In the water in our public schools is false.

The JC chapter of Statewide Education Organizing Committee (SEOC) along with Lorenzo Richardson can take credit for that. You can check BOE docs and Video.

http://pcueforhealthyschools.blogspot ... mmunities-united-for.html

Posted on: 2014/10/28 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
For all my criticism of the Children's First Team, it is not correct to say that they are a puppet of the union. JCEA in fact only endorsed two of their members (Richardson, Lyons) and also endorsed independent candidate Joel Torres.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
the "Children's First' team are the latest puppets of the JC Teacher's Union, so if you feel the JC teacher's union has a knack for change and are willing to make tough, progressive decisions to change the culture in the schools of JC, they are the team to vote for. Of course, anyone who is half literate and has a tiny amount of knowledge of these things knows- the puppets of the JC Teacher's union will not enact anything other than what their union bosses instruct them. And please god- we already got one richardson out of office, must be bring in another?!?!

Posted on: 2014/10/27 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
As far as I can see.

"Children's First" advocates against universal breakfast for all students.

"Children's First" is seeking to wreck one of the most successful programs in the school system that has parents seeking to place their kids in an ethnically diverse classroom with students from all backgrounds.

"Children's First" advised the board to ignore parent complaints about lead in school water.

"Children's First" is working with lawyers who oppose public education in its entirety.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We live in Jersey City and stand up for Jersey City Public School CHILDREN FIRST.

We are not politicians but mothers, fathers, education activists, teaching staff and community members who have a commitment to ensuring a quality education for ALL Jersey City Public School children.

This past year:

We've met with hundreds of parents, teachers and community members across Jersey City about the issues in our schools.

We partnered with the ACLU of NJ to defend the public's right to free speech and transparency when the Jersey City Board of Education restricted these rights.

We have filed lawsuits to challenge questionable policies and practices within the Jersey City Board of Education.

We advocated IN FAVOR of teacher and union contracts, improved school facilities, transparency and accountability.

We advocated AGAINST the outsourcing of substitute teachers to a private firm, the restriction of the public's rights to open meetings and free speech, excessive expenditures on administrator contracts and outside consultants, student over-testing and economic and racial disparities in our schools.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
JPhurst hit the nail on the head.

This lawsuit will be dropped after the election. It is without merit, but it sure is good hype for the Children First slate...

I suspect it will be seen through, since it is at this stage just a request over an OPRA lawsuit and the attorney will want to get a victory and collect his fees from the district.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Are these paid positions? I can't shake the feeling that the BOE is run by a bunch of well-intentioned but frankly amateur parents - owning a $600 million budget - bigger than the city's budget.

Perhaps a decent salary might attract candidates who can think beyond their kid's peanut allergy.

The real problem is elected school boards. Things were much more accountable back when the mayor appointed school board members. The mayor would be held responsible for the school board's performance. Now, no one is held responsible because no one really knows what the essentially anonymous school board candidates really support--or, for that matter, whether they will adhere to their stated positions once in office.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
JPhurst hit the nail on the head.

This lawsuit will be dropped after the election. It is without merit, but it sure is good hype for the Children First slate...

Posted on: 2014/10/27 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
So much misinformation in this article. To recap.

1. The dual language program is a citywide program that selects its applicants at random.

2. For two of the three years, in question, however, it selected parents through an "interview" process. The plaintiff in the lawsuit was head of the PTA at the time. I don't know what her role was in all the interviews, but I know she sat in on the interview for my daughter.

3. P.S. 3 originally started its dual language program in Pre-K 3. Because P.S. 3 was one of the only downtown schools to have space for pre-K 3, this led lots of parents in the downtown area to apply for the program simply to have a pre-K class.

4. The current superintendent abolished the interview process to ensure random selection.

5. The current superintendent ended the DL program for Pre-K 3 to ensure that there was a uniform point of entry for the DL program (Pre-K 4).

6. The current superintendent also cut back on the number of DL sections to try to get an appropriate 50-50 balance of English and Spanish speakers in the program.

7. The lawsuit requests only 3 years of the program for one grade, Pre-K 4. 2 of these years reflect the program before the reforms made by the current superintendent. They also show only limited data for any year, because Pre-K classes are limited to 15 students. The class composition changed once the kids reached Kindergarten.

8. The Children's First Team, in an attempt to smear their opponents, has brought this lawsuit on the eve of the elections to stir up toxic accusations of racism and discrimination. In doing so, they are attacking one of the most successful programs in the city schools that has encouraged families to put their kids in the public schools precisely because they want an ethnically integrated class environment with the opportunity to learn a second language.

9. And for good measure, they have hired a lawyer who is a featured member of the Libertarian Party of New Jersey, whose platform explicitly calls for the abolition of public education, as well as a repeal of laws that prohibit discrimination in employment and housing.

If there is anything that can demonstrate that this slate is unqualified to serve as board of ed members, this is it.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Lawsuit accuses Jersey City school of grouping pre-Kers by race

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
October 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM

The Jersey City school board race just rumbled into court, with an insurgent slate of candidates trying to prove that pre-K 4-year-olds at School 3 in Downtown are being grouped in classrooms by race.

The lawsuit, filed by The Children First team earlier this month in Hudson County Superior Court, seeks data from the school district to back up its belief that the dual-language pre-K4 classes at the school is filled mostly with white students, while blacks and Hispanics are underrepresented.

"It's a great program, the only problem is if you are attracting a certain group to the program, it becomes discriminatory," Felicia Palmer, a former PTA president at the school and the lead plaintiff in the suit, told The Jersey Journal. "It has really, apparently become very segregated."

Jersey City Public Schools spokeswoman Maryann Dickar said the district takes a color-blind approach to all of its programs.

Read More:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rict_for_information.html

Posted on: 2014/10/27 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Borsip,

1. No, they haven't and that was basically my point because the thread was bitching about raises and the teachers aren't really making more than they ever were.

If so why did you even mention Baumol? The only thing it can explain is the growth in salaries. If there is none, it means Baumol is irrelevant.

Quote:

moobycow wrote:
2. Your second and third points are pretty much the same (yes we have more staff, and no we probably don't need all of it it as I alluded to when I acknowledged waste in the system)

They are not the same. Different arguments were used. When they doubled the number of teachers per student they promised it would produce better education. We know that it didn't.

Quote:

moobycow wrote:

Schools are also asked to do a hell of a lot more than they were in the past. If we ask them to go back to doing just what they did in 1970 maybe we save a ton of money, but then we also have to figure out how to have primarily single earner families and all sorts of other societal changes to pick up the slack.

That is part of the problem. The whole "schools are also asked to do a hell more". This is called "mission creep". They fail to do their primary task so they start inventing new ones to stay relevant.

You'd be hard pressed to clearly state what exactly does the school add right now. And i don't mean "name some of the programs" - that you would do easily. No, I mean, name the actual benefits. Explain how the lives of kids and/or parents now are better than the lives of kids in the 70-s due to those school activities. What's your measure?

Tell me how are they better off than how I was in the 70-s without all those "hell lot more"?

Posted on: 2014/10/21 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I still stand by my original question. What does the Children First team bring to JC BOE? Top 5 issues and how you will address them. Please list them here - I don't want to waste my time deciphering your videos and interviews with Yvonne. Go.

Posted on: 2014/10/21 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Borsip,

1. No, they haven't and that was basically my point because the thread was bitching about raises and the teachers aren't really making more than they ever were.

2. Your second and third points are pretty much the same (yes we have more staff, and no we probably don't need all of it it as I alluded to when I acknowledged waste in the system)

I would say administrators are likely a large portion of the problem (as is aging infrastructure as schools are infrastructure intensive and the costs of all infrastructure have gone up by a frightening amount across the US).

Schools are also asked to do a hell of a lot more than they were in the past. If we ask them to go back to doing just what they did in 1970 maybe we save a ton of money, but then we also have to figure out how to have primarily single earner families and all sorts of other societal changes to pick up the slack.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baumol's_cost_disease

It's a real problem of rising costs that impacts a lot of areas of the economy that have not been able to be automated to the same degree as other sectors. It has little do do with gready teachers (it's hard to argue to easier to live on a teacher's salary today than in 1970).

Sorry, but "Baumol cost disease" can only explain the raise in salaries to the same degree as they rose for the other people with similar qualifications. So, your explanation is nowhere near to be sufficient to explain this.

1. First, salaries. Do you really believe that inflation adjusted salaries of ALL college grads TRIPLED since the 70-s? Really?

2. Second, Baumol can't explain why we need more teachers. Remember "smaller class sizes"? It was sold to us as a way to make education better. It didn't. So, there is your first budget cuts opportunity -take classes back to the size where they were in the 70-s, then we'd need only 50% of the teachers and we will keep the best of them. I know that would be bad news for the other 50% for the teachers but I am wearing my "children first" thinking hat now.

3. Third, Baumol can't explain why we need more non-teaching personnel than in the 70-s. You can't say "oh, but they are useful because they provide..." Whatever they provide ain't education. I know of no measurable indicator that would be interesting to the "children first" team.

It is no secret that we're overpaying for the education for our kids. Overpaying to an astonishing degree that we'd not tolerate if that was about prices for anything else. However the prevailing demagoguery is "if you care about education you must want to pay more for it". The first thing we should do is to stop it.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Upcoming debates:

Historic Paulus Hook Association, Inc.
PS # 16
96 Sussex Street
10/23/2014
6:00Pm-9:00pm

NAACP Political Action Committee
Lincoln High School
60 Crescent Avenue JC, NJ 07304
10/31/2014
6:00pm-8:30pm

Posted on: 2014/10/20 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Are these paid positions? I can't shake the feeling that the BOE is run by a bunch of well-intentioned but frankly amateur parents - owning a $600 million budget - bigger than the city's budget.

Perhaps a decent salary might attract candidates who can think beyond their kid's peanut allergy.

Knowing what a ration of sh!t anyone is these positions has to deal with on a daily basis it amazes me that anyone will do it. Hell, even being involved in a neighborhood association is a recipe for taking more abuse that I am willing to stomach.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Board members are not paid.

The biggest question in my mind is why don't the most vocal of the activists run for the positions that are so important to everyone's well being? Seems that would be a win-win to me.

Posted on: 2014/10/20 11:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ok. Children First team. Most of us don't have the time to watch your youtube vids. Can you tell us on JCList what you propose to turn around the issues in JC schools? Top 5 issues if you like.

(I'm going to ask the other mob the same question).

Posted on: 2014/10/20 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/20 0:20

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017