Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »

Re: Downtown Jersey City businesses take on local farmers market
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
The farmer's market, Groove on Grove and all the food events that take place periodically have been a welcome change for the community. It's amazing to see how the whole community gets together at these events creating a much needed communal vibe.

Now, as for the businesses, I sympathize with them to an extent. Grove Bistro is ALWAYS full around the time I get home and pass the markets (around 6-6:30). The food and service there are terrible however, the location and drinks and people watching are great. So I am not sure how there is a "steep" decline in sales that day. Relax dude, not everyone eats at a restaurant every single night. If you don't like it, then move. Don't ask everyone else around you to move. It's that simple.

There are several storefronts on Newark Ave that need to be filled. Maybe we can have an indoor farmers market where people are actually in brick and mortar. Or move it to Van Vorst Park or the location where the 6th Borough Market is. But please, don't take this positive thing away from the community.

I love the idea of a food "festival" and/or a flea market at LSP. That should be something independent of these farmers markets and maybe channel something along the lines of the Brooklyn Flea or Smogasborg. God knows without the PATH running to WTC on weekends its super hard to get to BK. There are a lot of considerations for the market to be in this location; how do people get there? A diff discussion would be to talk about implementing the tram within LSP at Audrey Zapp Drive that they have been contemplating for years. Maybe and only maybe then, will something like this work.

Posted on: 2014/10/9 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
if your goal is to fill empty storefronts and replace discount/dollar stores, then the city's use of public spaces (the plaza) should support that effort, not hurt it.

Posted on: 2014/10/9 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
I do think that it has gotten a bit crazy lately with all the restaurants doing stands down at the market. Personally I prefer and would rather more actual veggie farmers (though the 3 we have are very good) and more special artisan goods (like jams, cheese, maple syrup & honey, breads, baked goods etc) vs pre-made takeout from local places that I already order from

Totally agree - however, this season I've twice seen butchers/poulterers set up stalls once or twice and then disappear. Maybe there isn't the demand.
And yes, my goal for the day was to use the word poulterer in a written sentence.

Posted on: 2014/10/9 11:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
I do think that it has gotten a bit crazy lately with all the restaurants doing stands down at the market. Personally I prefer and would rather more actual veggie farmers (though the 3 we have are very good) and more special artisan goods (like jams, cheese, maple syrup & honey, breads, baked goods etc) vs pre-made takeout from local places that I already order from

Posted on: 2014/10/9 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
A solution to this problem is allocating an exclusive area void of bricks and mortar restaurants and bars.

We have empty railway platforms at Liberty State Park that would be an idea place for a farmers market, flea market and even those food vans to exist - If they are able to market and establish it as a 'mecca' for such services, more power to them and no-one should complain on their success - It could be marketed as a tourist destination as well!

Resized Image

Kinda silly to put a farmer market on a place where getting to it is hard. The success of farmers markets is predicated on easy access and readily available foot traffic. Neither of those exists for the historic CRRNJ Terminal at LSP, besides the occasional tourist coach herding people to the ferry boats. No one is going to ride the light rail, then walk over a mile, to reach a farmer market at that location.

Posted on: 2014/10/9 11:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
A solution to this problem is allocating an exclusive area void of bricks and mortar restaurants and bars.

We have empty railway platforms at Liberty State Park that would be an idea place for a farmers market, flea market and even those food vans to exist - If they are able to market and establish it as a 'mecca' for such services, more power to them and no-one should complain on their success - It could be marketed as a tourist destination as well!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/10/9 10:59
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
People who are confident in their product don't complain about competition. That being said, Two Boots should take their crappy, overly spiced tomato sauce back to NYC and Bistro should take a community college class in business 101.

How do you know they don't complain? Do you own such a business ?

Posted on: 2014/10/9 10:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
I go out to a restaurant not just for the food, but for the service and experience. I also go for food that I cannot make at home.

I go to the bar to drink and be social with others.

If I pick up food at the farmers market that is prepared it is because I want to eat that at that moment or go straight home with it because I have 0 desire to cook that night.

Service at restaurants in Jersey city is abysmal. I eat at very few restaurants in town because of this.

If you want people to come have an inspired menu, that is executed well, and normal service.

Two Boots I have no idea why their business drops they have pretty good pizza.

Posted on: 2014/10/9 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Things I don't see happening: the 40/40 club bitching about this. Shake Shack bitching about this. Eataly bitching about this. The hot dog vendors bitching about this. The subways, mcdonalds, 7-11, delis, and countless other eateries bitching about this.

http://urbanspacenyc.com/mad-sq-eats/

and it's every day for weeks on end, multiple times of the year.

Posted on: 2014/10/9 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Aaron Morrill, who owns Two Boots Pizza just up the block on Newark Avenue, said he sees a "pretty stark" drop in business those afternoons, too. Morrill said he "embraces competition," but thinks there should be a limit to the amount of prepared food for sale at the market. "Farmers markets are for farmers, or items made with local ingredients," he said, adding that many of the farmers market vendors aren't even based in Jersey City.

He's complaining about a farmer's market that's open two days a week. Is there a pizza vendor at the farmer's market?

Wonder what he'll be complaining about when Porta pizza opens up!

Resized Image

This is clearly not a farmer. Why call it a farmers market? why not call it a festival.
I do agree that having restaurants and food vendors setting up every week turns the Farmer's Market into more of a food festival that competes with local restaurants. There needs to be some limit on who is allowed to sell.

That being said, Jeff Fabia, the owner of Grove Square, is a known racist, anti-semite, general all-around bad guy. I have personally witnessed him screaming at people at the farmer's market about how "I'm a business owner, I know the chief of police, I'm important, this and that, I'll call the police and get you all arrested for being too close to my business."

And this was at Zipcar people, who definitely were not taking business away from him. He's terrible to his employees, a dick to customers, and harasses the farmer's market, Groove on Grove, everybody. He's just an awful person who has had a grudge against the Farmer's Market ever since he opened his dumb restaurant. So if I'm going to listen to anybody about this, it's not him.

Posted on: 2014/10/9 0:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
People who are confident in their product don't complain about competition. That being said, Two Boots should take their crappy, overly spiced tomato sauce back to NYC and Bistro should take a community college class in business 101.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
interestly, food courts in nyc don't sell prepared foods so perhaps prepared foods should be limited?

They don't? You could have fooled me on that one. Perhaps we have different definitions of prepared.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
interestly, food courts in nyc don't sell prepared foods so perhaps prepared foods should be limited?

Posted on: 2014/10/8 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
as a customer, I wish the Grove Street farmers market was a bit more farmers markety, and less like a food court.

yeah well, people in hell want ice water too.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
as a customer, I wish the Grove Street farmers market was a bit more farmers markety, and less like a food court.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:

3. If the farmer's market is such a great place to sell food, why not open up a stand of your own at the market and sell some your restaurant's great food that way? I have seen a couple of brick-and-mortar restaurants opening up
"auxiliary stands" at festivals. Seems like they could do the same at a farmer's market.

+1

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Aaron Morrill, who owns Two Boots Pizza just up the block on Newark Avenue, said he sees a "pretty stark" drop in business those afternoons, too. Morrill said he "embraces competition," but thinks there should be a limit to the amount of prepared food for sale at the market. "Farmers markets are for farmers, or items made with local ingredients," he said, adding that many of the farmers market vendors aren't even based in Jersey City.

He's complaining about a farmer's market that's open two days a week. Is there a pizza vendor at the farmer's market?

Resized Image

This is clearly not a farmer. Why call it a farmers market? why not call it a festival.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Aaron Morrill, who owns Two Boots Pizza just up the block on Newark Avenue, said he sees a "pretty stark" drop in business those afternoons, too. Morrill said he "embraces competition," but thinks there should be a limit to the amount of prepared food for sale at the market.

I would be more concerned with the behemoth of a competitor in Porta Pizza moving in directly next door than the cheap eats at bi-weekly market, but hey every dollar counts I guess.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Boo f'n hoo....if your brick and mortar establishment can't compete with an empanada stand then you might as well pack your mediocre business up and leave. Mediocrity is no longer being accepted in Jersey City.

you here that Two Boots! these ____ aint loyal!

Two Boots are the ones that are complaining? Really?

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Boo f'n hoo....if your brick and mortar establishment can't compete with an empanada stand then you might as well pack your mediocre business up and leave. Mediocrity is no longer being accepted in Jersey City.

you here that Two Boots! these ____ aint loyal!

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

kencares wrote:
I think it's time to boycott Jeff Fabia's business. I for one will never step foot in his complex on grove square again. He's been trying to get in the way of the farmer's market ever since he opened up.

I say he is right ! Food Market is one thing, Food Court is another.
If you had a Florist, and right down the corner there selling flowers from buckets, for no where near the cost it takes to be in business. What would you do ? No offense but I can't stand
opinions from people who have no idea on what it takes to run a business. You should boycott Jeff's place, and every other store that agrees with him. Better yet post your photo so that they can throw you out.

I do not care about the success of the farmer's market OR any of the neighboring businesses, but it's hard to have any sympathy for any of the businesses that complain here. This is similar to the restaurants that complained about the food trucks as well. I have similar arguments:

1. If your sit-down restaurant is losing customers to a "food court" that sells take-out food or ready-to-eat meals, your sit-down restaurant has much bigger problems and needs to re-evaluate its menu and business strategy.

2. This farmers market has been around longer than some (but not all) of the nearby brick-and-mortar restaurants. If you thought the farmers market was going to be a problem for you, why did you choose your location?

3. If the farmer's market is such a great place to sell food, why not open up a stand of your own at the market and sell some your restaurant's great food that way? I have seen a couple of brick-and-mortar restaurants opening up
"auxiliary stands" at festivals. Seems like they could do the same at a farmer's market.

I may know nothing about running the restaurant business, but I do know common sense. I also know that any business in a capitalist society has to learn to adapt to the constantly changing marketplace to be successful, or close up shop so someone
else can.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Kind of ironic when you consider many of the food vendors at the farmers market also own brick-and-mortar establishments in JC. If the owner of Grove Square Bistro can't draw customers in spite of his hot location, I'd say his problems go well beyond someone selling BBQ sandwiches a few feet from his restaurant. What makes him think I'm going to dine at his eat-in restaurant and pay over $20 for a meal if I can't get $5 worth of empanadas on my way home from the PATH? I have been to Grove Square and am not inclined to return for reasons that have nothing to do with the vendors at the market. On the flip side, I keep going back to Roman Nose, even on days when the farmers market is there.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

kencares wrote:
I think it's time to boycott Jeff Fabia's business. I for one will never step foot in his complex on grove square again. He's been trying to get in the way of the farmer's market ever since he opened up.

If you had a Florist, and right down the corner there selling flowers from buckets, for no where near the cost it takes to be in business. What would you do ? No offense but I can't stand
opinions from people who have no idea on what it takes to run a business. You should boycott Jeff's place, and every other store that agrees with him. Better yet post your photo so that they can throw you out.

so because this guy bought some property, everyone else is a second class citizen that isn't allowed to participate in the free market? I will gladly keep enjoying my beer and tacos and empanadas at the farmers market while that place sits empty.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
well, the farmers market and food vendors have been there for ages and i don't see how they are drawing cusomers away from sit-down establishments...but perhaps they should put the farmers market on newark avenue proper?

Posted on: 2014/10/8 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/8 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
There is an easy win-win solution to this. Send the prepared food vendors uptown to the JSQ Farmers Market where we have no restaurant scene to compete with. Easy.

Posted on: 2014/10/8 19:37

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017