Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 24 »

Re: What's going there?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
This bakery will be a great addition to the neighborhood! So looking forward to it!!!

Posted on: 2014/10/14 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Oh, wow. I used to love their place in the West Village. I am super excited for this place. I have been seeing that spot under development for the longest time. At least a year, maybe longer.

their Nutella bread is a thing of rare beauty. I will be first in line on opening day.

I will tap you on the shoulder and say hello as I queue up right behind you.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Oh, wow. I used to love their place in the West Village. I am super excited for this place. I have been seeing that spot under development for the longest time. At least a year, maybe longer.

their Nutella bread is a thing of rare beauty. I will be first in line on opening day.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/13 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I answered my own question:

http://ilcantuccionyc.com/en

Posted on: 2014/10/13 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Is this the place on the left side (as you go away from Newark) with black trim that's been in the works for a while now? Please post if you know anything more about the type of bakery it's going to be. Looking forward to trying it!

Posted on: 2014/10/13 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUrahrah wrote:
on Erie between 3rd and 4th, the shop has a sign now.

Prato Bakery.

I am so psyched for this place.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 15:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
on Erie between 3rd and 4th, the shop has a sign now.

Prato Bakery.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Any more news on the l'atelier du chocolat on Marin? It's been in the works for a while. Another "Building Dept" situation?

Posted on: 2014/10/12 21:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/14 4:02
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown JC might be one of the most diverse places in the country. I don't understand how you can argue otherwise.

My building alone is extremely diverse, and it only has 8 units. One Asian, one Arab, one Indian, one black, four white. Two are Jewish, two are gay, one unit has a couple with a baby.

Posted on: 2014/10/12 18:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody know what's going on at the former Fine Fare market on West Side, near Duncan?

It's getting fixed up... I've been by a few times recently & one of the roll-up doors was open... new sheetrock & freezer cases, tradesmen at work inside.

My hunch is: Trader Joe's, Wegman's, Fairway, or my favorite, Cornholio Foods. Or not. Maybe something else. Whatever it is, it will almost certainly be welcomed in the neighborhood.

Anybody know?

Looks like the owner got a tax break this year...

http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin ... 616102____00010_________M

Posted on: 2014/10/12 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
what's being built on the lot at 251 newark avenue,next to the vietnamese restaurant/jordan's

Apartments/Condos last I heard. I'm sure there will be a ground floor retail component but I don't know that they had a tenant in mind.

Does anyone know if this project includes the restaurant building and the parking lot?

Posted on: 2014/10/2 10:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I think those are owned by LeFrak and he just hasn't gotten around to them yet.

I don't know that there is a scheduled date for the building to begin but there were rumors about them starting up that I heard last year.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know what's happening/whatever happened to the two condo buildings that are approved for construction above the 10th Street embankment between Monmouth and Coles?

The two buildings are 270 Tenth and 310 Tenth. They were voted upon way back in 2006 and they are listed as still approved for development on the JCRA development map, but it seems that absolutely no work has been undertaken from the looks of things. Just curious as to whether this got canned...?

Here is the last mention on JCList from 2006: http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7154

Posted on: 2014/10/1 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
what's being built on the lot at 251 newark avenue,next to the vietnamese restaurant/jordan's

Apartments/Condos last I heard. I'm sure there will be a ground floor retail component but I don't know that they had a tenant in mind.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Your view of "diversity" is remarkably narrow. Essentially, you are saying the only kind of diversity that "counts" is income diversity. You also apply many assumptions and generalizations to a broad group of incoming people solely due to the high cost of living here.

There?s no question that Jersey City as a whole is an exceptionally diverse city, but downtown?the changing nature of establishments hardly reflects anything of the sort. I?m not arguing whether that?s good or bad, but that?s certainly the trend.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/1 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I am concerned because my investment could be an even better one. Somewhere a WF employee is scouting locations and visited our "acclaimed" restaurant row and told his superiors back in the WF office that DTJC is full of dollar/discount stores and stores which advertise how cheap their products are - Sleep CHEAP, PayLESS, etc.

I am torn over whether I prefer an ISIS recruitment center versus a dollar store since both are detrimental to their neighborhoods...

Agreed. We need to clean up Grove Street and Newark Ave. Not that I have a problem with the "cheap" stores, I feel like it's time for a change to accommodate the new and diverse demographics.

Moreover, I am baffled that these stores still exist, given the rents in the neighborhood have skyrocketed. There's a national discount store at 162 Newark (or 161 Newark Ave) that looks like a head shop but sells the most random stuff. Stores like that need to go. It brings down the entire neighborhood. Especially when the crack addicts hang out in front of it in abandoned shopping carts. In any case, I would rather not have an Old Navy or a J Crew but much rather see more local businesses like Tia's or Morelees or Word succeed.

This "We need to clean this up" attitude drives me nuts. Who's "we"?? Those store owners are running a business. Presumably, they pay their rent or own their building. Who are "we" to tell them they can't do it? Here's an idea: If "we" are so offended by a dollar store, "we" should pony up the money to buy them out. Then "we" can open an artisanal pizza place, TV-filled bar or high-end dog groomer. God knows "we" need more of those.

"we" being non crack/meth addicts that live in houses, apts etc and not abandoned shopping carts that have families and pay taxes and are generally decent people and don't want to live with this sort of "filth".

If you think differently, there's something wrong with you.

JC still has remnants of it's drug/gang obsessed past that can be seen on Newark Ave. That's what needs to get cleaned up. Half the places on Newark don't even look like they make a sale a day; are they fronts for something?

Anyways, as Seagull mentioned, let's keep thread to it's original purpose.

I'm not sure how you tie JC Martin to a "gang-obsessed past", but whatever. As I said, you're welcome to open a generally decent store of your own in its place.

Fine, let's re-route this thread to its intent.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 15:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I am concerned because my investment could be an even better one. Somewhere a WF employee is scouting locations and visited our "acclaimed" restaurant row and told his superiors back in the WF office that DTJC is full of dollar/discount stores and stores which advertise how cheap their products are - Sleep CHEAP, PayLESS, etc.

I am torn over whether I prefer an ISIS recruitment center versus a dollar store since both are detrimental to their neighborhoods...

Agreed. We need to clean up Grove Street and Newark Ave. Not that I have a problem with the "cheap" stores, I feel like it's time for a change to accommodate the new and diverse demographics.

Moreover, I am baffled that these stores still exist, given the rents in the neighborhood have skyrocketed. There's a national discount store at 162 Newark (or 161 Newark Ave) that looks like a head shop but sells the most random stuff. Stores like that need to go. It brings down the entire neighborhood. Especially when the crack addicts hang out in front of it in abandoned shopping carts. In any case, I would rather not have an Old Navy or a J Crew but much rather see more local businesses like Tia's or Morelees or Word succeed.

This "We need to clean this up" attitude drives me nuts. Who's "we"?? Those store owners are running a business. Presumably, they pay their rent or own their building. Who are "we" to tell them they can't do it? Here's an idea: If "we" are so offended by a dollar store, "we" should pony up the money to buy them out. Then "we" can open an artisanal pizza place, TV-filled bar or high-end dog groomer. God knows "we" need more of those.

"we" being non crack/meth addicts that live in houses, apts etc and not abandoned shopping carts that have families and pay taxes and are generally decent people and don't want to live with this sort of "filth".

If you think differently, there's something wrong with you.

JC still has remnants of it's drug/gang obsessed past that can be seen on Newark Ave. That's what needs to get cleaned up. Half the places on Newark don't even look like they make a sale a day; are they fronts for something?

Anyways, as Seagull mentioned, let's keep thread to it's original purpose.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Well, he [Frank] seriously is claiming that DTJC isn't diverse. Makes him pretty ignorant, no?

Explain the ?new diverse demographics? in deference to the increasing number of people who share nearly indistinguishable value systems. Thanks to the very high cost of living among other factors, it?s more common that the best plan for success among people moving to downtown Jersey City lies in ?going with the program.? Unfortunately, that behavior also tends to inhibit the process of self-individuation, which doesn?t make for a very diverse group of people at all.

Diversity certainly does exist in this part of town, but it?s a receding phenomenon.

Your view of "diversity" is remarkably narrow. Essentially, you are saying the only kind of diversity that "counts" is income diversity. You also apply many assumptions and generalizations to a broad group of incoming people solely due to the high cost of living here.

When I look around downtown, I see diversity of age, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, and (likely) religion. It's probably one of the more diverse areas around. And yes, this diversity is continuing.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:

The growing demographic of downtown Jersey City is as diverse as Wonder Bread is hearty, regardless of ancestry.

If you want more of your narrow conception of "diversity," feel free to move to Newark.

Ah, the "love it or leave it" argument. People still use this, I guess.

Well, he seriously is claiming that DTJC isn't diverse. Makes him pretty ignorant, no?

I suggested a practical, feasible solution to his "problem."

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/False_dilemma

Posted on: 2014/10/1 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Well, he [Frank] seriously is claiming that DTJC isn't diverse. Makes him pretty ignorant, no?

Explain the ?new diverse demographics? in deference to the increasing number of people who share nearly indistinguishable value systems. Thanks to the very high cost of living among other factors, it?s more common that the best plan for success among people moving to downtown Jersey City lies in ?going with the program.? Unfortunately, that behavior also tends to inhibit the process of self-individuation, which doesn?t make for a very diverse group of people at all.

Diversity certainly does exist in this part of town, but it?s a receding phenomenon.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Let's keep this thread on track and not derail it. Please keep it contained to inquiries about new businesses.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
I got a practical, feasible solution for you.
It involves a shallow grave.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:

The growing demographic of downtown Jersey City is as diverse as Wonder Bread is hearty, regardless of ancestry.

If you want more of your narrow conception of "diversity," feel free to move to Newark.

Well, he seriously is claiming that DTJC isn't diverse. Makes him pretty ignorant, no?

I suggested a practical, feasible solution to his "problem."

Posted on: 2014/10/1 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/1 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:

Don't let anyone's hate, negativity, ignorance or drama stop you from being the asshole you strive to be.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/1 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

I'm a homeowner and I understand that point. To be fair, I hope you have the same disdain for mothers who fight against strip clubs opening up close to residential neighborhoods. In fact, my friend who lives in Gulls Cove told me about how silly the tenants were when they were fighting against the tilted kilt from opening so I hope you have the same disdain for those homeowners. Something tells me you do not apply this same logic to every business...

Posted on: 2014/10/1 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/1 13:50

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 24 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017