Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

PATH alternative
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
For your consideration....
Instead of always wishing for Whole Foods, Finest, or Trader Joe's to come to Jersey City, I think a foot bridge from Jersey City to Manhattan is better idea.
http://www.thrillist.com/travel/natio ... rope-bridges-in-the-world

Posted on: 2015/7/28 17:12

Re: Pedestrian and bicycle bridge from Jersey City to Manhattan?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

12345 wrote:
Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park is a linear walkway spanning the Hudson River. At 212 feet tall and 1.28 miles long, it is the longest, elevated pedestrian bridge in the world. The park is managed and maintained by NYS Parks ? Taconic Region. Walkway State Park officially opened to the public on Saturday, October 3, 2009.

Resized Image

http://nysparks.com/parks/178/details.aspx

This was a "found" object, a decommissioned railroad bridge. It was not built for this purpose, and never would have been. Utterly irrelevant to the discussion.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
dreamin' ain't never hurt no one

Utterly untrue. Haven't you ever heard of "opportunity cost"? It's the time wasted doing or thinking about something impractical when it could have been spent better. Classic example familiar to us all in the NYC area is the middle aged actor still waiting tables because "the dream" interfered with actually acquiring some more salable skills. The odds were always small, a tiny fraction of Equity actors make a living at it. I know plenty of people told as kids to "follow your dream" that wonder what the hell those adults were thinking.

Don't be a cynic. Kids should follow their dreams!

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/149665/follow-your-dreams

Posted on: 2014/10/2 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park is a linear walkway spanning the Hudson River. At 212 feet tall and 1.28 miles long, it is the longest, elevated pedestrian bridge in the world. The park is managed and maintained by NYS Parks ? Taconic Region. Walkway State Park officially opened to the public on Saturday, October 3, 2009.

Resized Image

http://nysparks.com/parks/178/details.aspx

Posted on: 2014/10/2 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Utterly untrue. Haven't you ever heard of "opportunity cost"? It's the time wasted doing or thinking about something impractical when it could have been spent better. Classic example familiar to us all in the NYC area is the middle aged actor still waiting tables because "the dream" interfered with actually acquiring some more salable skills. The odds were always small, a tiny fraction of Equity actors make a living at it. I know plenty of people told as kids to "follow your dream" that wonder what the hell those adults were thinking.

The idea that there are opportunity costs is very legitimate. It wouldn't seem to apply here unless you can think of an actual transportation project that is being given less attention because the pedestrian bridge is taking away time, money and effort.

The only opportunity cost I see with this project is that people lose the opportunity to spend the time bitching about dollar stores or parking on other threads.

I suppose, if it's just limited to this thread. But you never know about the stupid ideas that some people push to the top. I'd rather see public discourse about real things that could be done in this direction, like a paradigm shift in the way we do ferries to make them a real viable economic option. I paddled past the St George ferry terminal on Sunday, those ferries are HUGE, run regularly, and are free. Think on that...

Posted on: 2014/10/1 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

The idea that there are opportunity costs is very legitimate. It wouldn't seem to apply here unless you can think of an actual transportation project that is being given less attention because the pedestrian bridge is taking away time, money and effort.

The only opportunity cost I see with this project is that people lose the opportunity to spend the time bitching about dollar stores or parking on other threads.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 11:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i speak from personal experiences. i agree that many/most like working from home all the time, but there are some that actually like going into the office. it makes the day less monotonous imo

anecdotal evidence then.

anyways, anyone who doesn't mind their commute can still commute anyway. so your point is moot.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i speak from personal experiences. i agree that many/most like working from home all the time, but there are some that actually like going into the office. it makes the day less monotonous imo

I agree but only for those with easy commutes. If you are commuting 45 min or more daily, especially on the ridiculously overcrowded 33rd PATH line, most people will take working from home any day.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/1 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
working from home gets tired real soon for many!

link?

Posted on: 2014/10/1 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
working from home gets tired real soon for many!

Posted on: 2014/10/1 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Wouldn't the least expensive solutions be incentivizing working from home and walking/biking to work? No construction necessary, only maybe better bike lanes.

Also more staggered work days. For example I take the PATH to WTC at about 9:45am - it's pretty empty. Maybe it's time to rethink working hours - how much is the old 9 to 5 based on 50 year old assumptions of hubby wanting dinner on the table at 6, and June, Wally and the Beaver being there to welcome him.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
dorothy got home, didn't she? don't tell me dreaming ain't good!

Spoiler alert!

She was unconscious on her bed the whole time. At least in the MGM version, I don't recall the Baum details.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
dorothy got home, didn't she? don't tell me dreaming ain't good!

Posted on: 2014/9/30 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Being touted as the most power and wealthy nation in the world, we are useless at looking after ourselves and providing infrastructure and services needed for a modern city !

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/news/arti ... ing-tunnel-to-open-36832/

Posted on: 2014/9/30 21:39
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/30 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I recall that an architect did propose such a bridge sometime during the Cunningham administration. It was billed not just as a crossing but a potential destination with shopping and restaurants over the river. Mayor Cunningham politely pointed out that with the ship traffic on the Hudson it wasn't really feasible.

If we are serious about expanding commuter capacity the most feasible option in the short and medium term is to increase and subsidize ferry service. Our Ward E councilwoman was able to get the PANYNJ to offer the weekend ferry at PATH prices during construction. So while we may not have the ability to get free service a la Staten Island, we have shown some ability to get more ferry service. NY Waterway routes have, at times, been subsidized.

The irony in this is that the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad was originally billed as the civilized alternative to those slow, crowded, unreliable ferries!

In terms of grander infrastructure, a tram service seems more feasible than a bike/ped tunnel which in turn seems more feasible than a bike/ped bridge. But any of those appear to be prohibitively expensive at this time. If someone can show me otherwise, I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/30 21:22

Re: Could a Walking Bridge to NYC Be Jersey City’s Golden Ticket?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
We should go for something like this: http://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/62578/62578,1228056050,4/stock-photo-underwater-tunnel-21300307.jpg

Dude, that's an aquarium tunnel. Any tunnel built to cross the Hudson would have to be able to sustain the pressure you encounter at 90+ feet of water. At a depth of ~30 meters, the pressure is about 3 atmospheres. That's not a crazy number (average people regularly dive to that depth without special equipment, other than fins, mask and tanks) but it would definitely require a thick shell, plus this being the USA it will likely be required to be able to withstand pressures in excess of twice the depth and god knows what other new requirements we have due to security. A few years ago, some hush hush work was done along the Holland tunnel tubes to safeguard against terrorism. I wonder what was actually done.

In any case, an underwater glass tunnel would be AWESOME. The Hudson is too murky for one to be able to see much, or anything, but it would be cool nonetheless. Oh well.

Oh if we wanted to be REALLY snazzy we could actually build an aquarium layer above it, put some lamps there and it would be a huge tourist attraction. But yeah, while 30 meters isn't inconsequential, it isn't fatal either.

They could even allow for vendors on the walkway and even small stores that would help support it the costs. Anyone that has been to the skyway in Minneapolis knows that it is incredibly cool and has a ton of shops connected to it. No matter the weather it is a great place to go.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
A bridge for cyclists and pedestrians isn't doable - The ships that enter the Hudson are very tall. A submersed tunnel into Battery Park would be ideal !

Posted on: 2014/9/30 20:55
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/30 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I think I've got it! How about 'CitiDory", where there's a fleet of 20 seat rowboats and when enough people board you all row across! It's super green! I'll bet you can even start a craftsmanship program at a high school to make the boats! Cmon, where the can-do spirit! Who wants to walk or be wafted over the water on billions of dollars of infrastructure when you can row! If it was good enough transport for the first 300 years of JC's history, surely it's good enough for now!

Posted on: 2014/9/30 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
We should go for something like this: http://thumb1.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/62578/62578,1228056050,4/stock-photo-underwater-tunnel-21300307.jpg

Dude, that's an aquarium tunnel. Any tunnel built to cross the Hudson would have to be able to sustain the pressure you encounter at 90+ feet of water. At a depth of ~30 meters, the pressure is about 3 atmospheres. That's not a crazy number (average people regularly dive to that depth without special equipment, other than fins, mask and tanks) but it would definitely require a thick shell, plus this being the USA it will likely be required to be able to withstand pressures in excess of twice the depth and god knows what other new requirements we have due to security. A few years ago, some hush hush work was done along the Holland tunnel tubes to safeguard against terrorism. I wonder what was actually done.

In any case, an underwater glass tunnel would be AWESOME. The Hudson is too murky for one to be able to see much, or anything, but it would be cool nonetheless. Oh well.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
A tram like the one to Roosevelt Island seems doable. In the 19th century many people believed tunnels and bridges could never be constructed but they were and now with all the latest technology at hand we have an opportunity to create another way of reaching Manhattan.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/ ... m-Dan-Levy-275323911.html

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
A tram like the one to Roosevelt Island seems doable. In the 19th century many people believed tunnels and bridges could never be constructed but they were and now with all the latest technology at hand we have an opportunity to create another way of reaching Manhattan.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:

Perhaps they need to run a ferry back and forth like they do on weekends. That would at least provide a cost effective alternative to the PATH

Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:
Sometimes you wonder how anything ever gets done in this country.

They already have ferries. They aren't subsidized like they are on the weekends but that's only because the WTC path is shut down so the PA pays to make up for it.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

Perhaps they need to run a ferry back and forth like they do on weekends. That would at least provide a cost effective alternative to the PATH

Quote:

Old-Skool-JC wrote:

Posted on: 2014/9/30 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/9/30 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
As brewster pointed out, this "novel idea" pops up every year, or two. It is NOT possible.

For starters, no one is going to pony up the money necessary to build a FREE tunnel. Who, in their right mind, would do such a thing? At a more practical level, let's be honest: who is going to walk such a tunnel?? The Holland Tunnel is about 1.7 miles in length. Most people are winded after walking half that distance. As a point of reference, 1.7 miles is the equivalent of 34 NYC blocks. No one is going to walk that distance. Biking it should be easy, but many people would not do it.

A bridge, on the other hand, is an impossibility for all kinds of reason: it would have to be incredibly high to allow for commercial traffic to go under it. The GWB is just over 212 feet above the sea. From somewhere like JC, at sea level, that means anyone wanting to walk across (and, again, that means a 1+ mile walk, or 20 NYC blocks) they first have to walk up 20 stories. Or, if an elevator is available, they would have to wait in line to go up, and then do the 1+ mile walk, and then stand in line again to ride the elevator down (or, walk down 20 flights of stairs). The idea of a drawbridge is interesting, until you realize that a drawbridge that keeps going up will prevent pedestrians from being able to use it.

Add to all the issues above the biggest issue: money. Honestly, and seriously, this is a pipe dream. It will NEVER happen. It is impractical at every level.

And, of course, every time all of these things are pointed out, someone will respond with the useless "we have to be positive and think big".

Posted on: 2014/9/30 16:27

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017