Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 14 »

Re: Bike Share System
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And as far as net 'greeness', don't those bikes have to be thrown on trucks to rebalance their availability?

The bikes were delivered by truck, but are mostly redistributed by a single bike rider who has a hitch and a four or six bike carrier.

I have actually seen some of those guys redistributing bikes. I believe (but I am not entirely sure) that this method is used for redistributing to areas close by, but not if lots of bikes are needed in far spot. Again, I am not entirely sure, but I sort of remember reading that they do use small trucks to re distribute bikes at some times. It makes sense, as getting to some areas can be tricky/cumbersome.

For JC, without a question, they will need to have stations close to the JSQ and Grove PATH stations. That's the only way to give the system a fair chance at success.

As for those claiming that CitiBike hasn't gotten any subsidies, please explain what you consider free space ALL OVER MANHATTAN to deploy all those stations. Surface street space in Manhattan is INSANELY, ridiculously valuable. If that's not a subsidy, I don't know what is. And, there is a little contract provision that states Alta must re-imburse the city for lost parking revenue, but that's being (or, was being) negotiated.

Posted on: 2014/12/18 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
And as far as net 'greeness', don't those bikes have to be thrown on trucks to rebalance their availability?

The bikes were delivered by truck, but are mostly redistributed by a single bike rider who has a hitch and a four or six bike carrier.

Posted on: 2014/12/18 11:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/18 11:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Time will tell, but do note that both bodipooh and myself are active bike riders-he's much more of an athlete than I, but I did almost 1,000 miles on my bike this year, almost all of it in Hudson County. And as far as net 'greeness', don't those bikes have to be thrown on trucks to rebalance their availability?

Posted on: 2014/12/18 11:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
At any given moment, close to a quarter of all bikes (reports vary from 15 to 25 percent) are unusable because they are broken down, or something basic is not in working order.

The first "engineering failure" was the software used to operate the system -- because the Citibike operators wanted to use cheaper software rather than license software that was already operational in other cities.

The second "engineering failure" -- the equipment being stored in an area that was flooded by Sandy -- was a direct result of delays from waiting for the cheaper software to be finished.

The ongoing "engineering failure" -- the 15 to 25 percent of bikes that aren't working -- are due to the fact that Alta Bicycle Share, the operator of the system, laid off workers because of financial reasons.

Citi Bike is the only bike share system in the country -- and probably the world -- that is expected to operate without public subsidy. And before you say this is because its not popular -- thats actually part of the problem -- its proven so popular that too many people are subscribing to the service rather than paying day rates to use the bikes.

Also to say there is little support for public bike share simply a lie. 3/4 of New Yorkers support bike share programs -- rising from 72% to 74% support between 2011 and 2012.
http://www.streetsblog.org/2013/08/16 ... es-bike-share-and-plazas/
And even after totally fucking up the system -- again, because it didn't have enough money to operate correctly -- half of New Yorkers still supported bike share.
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/ ... ike-share-composting-plan

So regardless of the personal poll you took of yourself, Bike share systems are extremely popular, and to say they don't deserve public funding because they are meant to appease "deep pocketed liberal donors" only betrays your ignorance.

Posted on: 2014/12/18 6:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
elsquid, it was sold to the public as needing zero subsidies. Yes, green commuting is a wonderful idea. It hasn't worked in NYC, and will likely work less well in less densely populated JC. If there had been such a great demand for it we'd have seen private industry provide it.

You may try the argument that it deserves public funding like other transit methods receive, but the taxpayers (except for the very vocal minority) disagree. Who's going to use those bikes with 6" of snow on the ground, or in dry, 20 degree weather? I'd be shocked if the ridership/membership signups in JC are a fraction of what Fulop projects.

Posted on: 2014/12/18 4:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Exactly. The comparison to highways or other public mass transit systems is inadequate. CitiBike is NOT a public venture. Claiming CitiBike is not really a financial failure because it doesnt get subsidies is like claiming that any private company that goes bankrupt is not a financial failure because it didn't get an incentive. Private companies are SUPPOSED to succeed, or fail, on their own business acumen. The fact of the matter is that CitiBike is a financial failure because they FAILED MISERABLY at accurately projecting who would buy into the system. It was (is?) too expensive for the casual user, but too cheap for the regular users.

The comparison to other public mass transit systems is only inadequate because the initial expectations of self-sustainability laid on Citi Bike were unfair compared with expectations of other mass transit systems (and most other bikeshare systems in the U.S.).

Yes, the idea was for Citi Bike to be self-sustaining, without public subsidy, and that was a politically popular idea when it seemed feasible. The current JC administration (and Hoboken and Weehawken) followed our larger neighbor's example at the time. JC has backed off that since, with Fulop saying subsidy would be available if needed.

The more important point is, this isn't an ice cream shop, it's a mass transportation system that aims to provide the same kind of broad societal benefit that other mass transit provides, and more, from increasing travel options to easing demands on other transit modes to reducing pollution to spurring local economic growth to attracting young people ...

Let NYC fund Citi Bike properly, then let's judge it. Let's do the same with our own.

EDIT: And look, I get that people at Citi Bike had a challenge and didn't meet it. That's a point against them. But the challenge was stupid and politically expedient. Let's give our system and NYC's what they need to be public mass transit. Let's charge annual users more, since it turns out they (myself included) are the ones really using the bikes. NYC has begun doing that.

Let's work on the engineering problems. Money will help with that. Personally, having used Citi Bike at least twice a day as a regular commuter for months, and then as a sporadic all-hours rider all over the coverage area since then, I can't say the engineering problems have frustrated me all that much. Subways have screwups too, and Citi Bike is more fun, more environmentally friendly, and cheaper.

Posted on: 2014/12/18 3:48

Edited by elsquid on 2014/12/18 4:06:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I will be the biggest cheerleader for a bike share in Jersey City but I can see some hurdles.
Auto drivers in town are not up to speed on modern notions of road sharing. Also our city sprawls so could there be a citiwide system? This would take a LOT of bikes to ensure availability in all the districts.
What I fear is that the stations would only be around Grove St and East to the river.
It would be nice to have it encompass Journal Square but the problem there is the escarpment: I suspect casual users would be happy enough to glide down this challenging hill but how many of them will want to ride back up? Its a difficult slog even for regular cyclists. I imagine all the bikes would wind up at Grove and never return to the Square.

Posted on: 2014/12/18 3:27

Re: Citi Bike Looks Across River to Jersey City
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
This is great news - I think a program in JC would have a much better chance at success by linking with the NYC system, rather than going it along, or joining up with Hoboken/Weehawken.

Hopefully a sponsor will step up, and they'll spread the stations around a little bit - not have them all within a 1-mile radius of Grove St PATH.

Posted on: 2014/12/18 1:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/26 14:00
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
can someone copy/paste that article into this thread? i guess i like the concept of unifying one system for NYC and Hudson county, especially since you cant bring bikes on the PATH during rush hour. This makes perfect sense to lock up outside all PATH stations in JC (not sure where that parking would be) and then having stations within walking distance of all PATH stations in NYC.

But I dont know why Hoboken didnt hop on board so that people can bike there from JC and vice versa. But Ill take JC>NYC over JC>Hobro any day.

WSJ Pro Tip: If you paste the name of any WSJ article into Google, the first hit is almost always the full article, without the paywall.

Posted on: 2014/12/17 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Without a doubt, a great idea hitching our wagon to Citi Bike rather than the Hoboken program. Hoboken should hop on board, I could be missing something but having a bikeshare program between only Hoboken and Weehawken just doesn't seem that robust...

Posted on: 2014/12/17 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
can someone copy/paste that article into this thread? i guess i like the concept of unifying one system for NYC and Hudson county, especially since you cant bring bikes on the PATH during rush hour. This makes perfect sense to lock up outside all PATH stations in JC (not sure where that parking would be) and then having stations within walking distance of all PATH stations in NYC.

But I dont know why Hoboken didnt hop on board so that people can bike there from JC and vice versa. But Ill take JC>NYC over JC>Hobro any day.

Posted on: 2014/12/17 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
yay! i need my citibike in jc. this will further cement jc to the fabric of nyc! but please keep those solar powered stations that need to have the batteries changed everyday or so.

Posted on: 2014/12/17 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Merry Christmas, Yvonne! I feel so sorry for you. I hope you can find even a little joy in this world. Perhaps your new year's resolution for 2015 ought to be to try not to fret over every bit of progress in JC and what it might mean for street parking. Then again, I wouldn't want you to lose your raison d'?tre.

Posted on: 2014/12/17 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
"Brownie, You're doing a heckuva job !" Now lets go to Jersey City & screw it up over there !!!

Posted on: 2014/12/17 15:13

Citi Bike Looks Across River to Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/12/17 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
And for the person who claimed it hasn't been an engineering failure, you should really read up on CitiBike. You are clueless. At any given moment, close to a quarter of all bikes (reports vary from 15 to 25 percent) are unusable because they are broken down, or something basic is not in working order. For those familiar with the system, there is even a "coded language" of sorts. If you ever see a bike with the seat flipped backwards, do not try to use it. That's how we tell other people that the bike in question is not good for using. I never not come across a docking station bank that doesn't have one or two or more stations broken and unable to accept bikes. Pray you are not cutting it close in time when you run into that situation!

That was my problem with it. Any time I saved by using Citibike instead of walking down into the subway stations and waiting for a subway was eaten by having to visit numerous docking stations during rush hour before I could even find a bike that was available (the app wasn't entirely accurate either). There were also a number of stations that had bikes that seemed to be in working condition but I couldn't unlock them from the rack because of some computer error. The added exercise was a nice side benefit, but otherwise, it didn't save any time for me. Maybe if they re-engineer Citibike and work out the kinks I'll give it another chance in the spring, but the problem of there not being enough bikes at stations for people to use during rush hours seems to be a problem in other cities with bike share programs too, like Washington, DC. I applaud them for the effort though.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly. The comparison to highways or other public mass transit systems is inadequate. CitiBike is NOT a public venture. Claiming CitiBike is not really a financial failure because it doesnt get subsidies is like claiming that any private company that goes bankrupt is not a financial failure because it didn't get an incentive. Private companies are SUPPOSED to succeed, or fail, on their own business acumen. The fact of the matter is that CitiBike is a financial failure because they FAILED MISERABLY at accurately projecting who would buy into the system. It was (is?) too expensive for the casual user, but too cheap for the regular users.

And, for the person who claimed it hasn't been an engineering failure, you should really read up on CitiBike. You are clueless. At any given moment, close to a quarter of all bikes (reports vary from 15 to 25 percent) are unusable because they are broken down, or something basic is not in working order. For those familiar with the system, there is even a "coded language" of sorts. If you ever see a bike with the seat flipped backwards, do not try to use it. That's how we tell other people that the bike in question is not good for using. I never not come across a docking station bank that doesn't have one or two or more stations broken and unable to accept bikes. Pray you are not cutting it close in time when you run into that situation!

Posted on: 2014/12/15 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There is very little support for publicly funded bike systems, which is why a comparison with highways and mass transit is silly. It's certainly a nice 'green' item to have on your resume to keep the money coming from deep pocketed liberal donors.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

You are clearly in the minority. Citibike is, and has been, a financial and engineering failure.

CitiBike is a financial failure in the same way the interstate highway system is a failure. Or NJTransit. Or the PATH. Or The MTA. Or NYWaterway. Its not profitable to move people. But highways, buses and trains all receive subsidies, something CitiBike hasn't been allowed to receive, which is the main failure of the financial system that was set up.

As for the engineering failures, this is linked to the funding issue. The main engineering problems are: flooded equipment before it was installed; failure to maintain equipment; failure to inspect equipment. These failures are all linked to the main problem: not getting public subsidies in the same way that highways, roadways, ferries, buses, and trains.

You can't be upset that a system is breaking when you aren't paying to maintain it.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
But Fulop also said earlier this year that he was concerned about areas of Jersey City that do not have easy access to the PATH, such as the Greenville and Jersey City Heights, two neighborhoods that are showing an increase in commuter travel to New York.

CitiBike also has name recognition. Jersey City officials hope that using a similar system will make New Yorkers will see Jersey City as a viable destination for social activities, and encourage tourists and others to cross the Hudson River and use bicycles to visit destinations here such as Liberty State Park.

Jersey City hopes to launch the program with as many as 600 bicycles.

Read more: Hudson Reporter - City anticipates bike share bids Jersey City hopes to hook up with New York City program

[

Posted on: 2014/12/15 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
They have all that advertising space on the rear wheel guard that they could generate some income from - I'm sure local businesses would love to advertise on it - makes for a great mobile advertising billboard !

Posted on: 2014/12/14 9:12
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

Financial, yes, for a number of reasons.

Engineering? As in, the bikes? The docking stations? "Engineering failure" is a bit of a stretch.

Yes, it is a colossal engineering failure as well as a financial failure.

The NYC Comptroller performed an audit and found that barely any of the bikes or docking stations were being inspected, in major violation of Citibike's contract with NYC which called for 100% of the bikes to undergo a complete maintenance check every month.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/ ... lams-citi-bikes-oversight

Posted on: 2014/12/14 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
bloomberg's management skills were so overhyped. i'm all in favor of solar power, but those solar-powered battery operated docking stations make no sense. the systems in london, paris, operate wonderfully.

Posted on: 2014/12/14 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
You are clearly in the minority. Citibike is, and has been, a financial and engineering failure.

Financial, yes, for a number of reasons.

Engineering? As in, the bikes? The docking stations? "Engineering failure" is a bit of a stretch.

.... and of COURSE subscription fell. The excitement of a new system and yearly access to transit cheaper than a single month's unlimited metrocard resulted in high subscription rates. Last year's terrible winter and the bicycle = exercise factor resulted in a dropoff.

Anyone who wanted to try Citibike did it in the beginning. What new wave of people can Citibike possibly tap in to the next year without actually expanding to new neighborhoods (which they did very little of)?

Expanding Citibike to NJ is a step in the right direction and will result in more subscriptions...

Posted on: 2014/12/13 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
More bad news for Fulop and his Citibike deal.
http://nypost.com/2014/12/12/piti-bike/

Posted on: 2014/12/13 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
imo, it just makes more sense to link up with whatever system they are using in manhattan, even if it is more expensive. most people in jc commute to manhattan, not hoboken. the convvenience, imo, is worth the added cost

Posted on: 2014/9/30 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
citibikes is not perfect and can be frustrating at times, but its better than nothing. i would gladly be a lot more if necessary

There WAS an alternative, at 1/4 the price. Hoboken Mayor Zimmer is pretty pissed at Fulop now.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
citibikes is not perfect and can be frustrating at times, but its better than nothing. i would gladly be a lot more if necessary

The numbers don't lie: only about 40% of annual subscribers have renewed their memberships. Read more here. Key metric: out of 52,000+ subscriber the first year, only 22,000 have renewed. It doesn't bode well for their long term survival. Simply put, they will need government assistance. A program like this will not survive without it.

But, DiBlasio is playing hardball and has gone on record saying he will not come to the rescue. Despite his liberal credentials, he will rather go against a populist move (subsidies for a bike share program is as populist as you can get, really) than to follow a policy stance from Bloomberg, the fake Republican with liberal leanings. The old adage is so true: politics makes strange bedfellows.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/30 17:32

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017