Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   3 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
And the average HHI in Manhattan is $66k, and average HHI in Brooklyn is $46k.

I don't care if what we get is a Whole Foods. It could be a Trader Joe's, Wegmans, Fairway, whatever ... but a proper market, in a good walkable location, is absolutely necessary in modern day Downtown Jersey City.

Whatever the HHI maybe in JC, it's a fact that most parts of Manhattan and BK look "prettier" than JC. If you see the areas that WF is in, are definitely the "prettier" areas where there are less grungy looking stores and more "trendy" stores. Unfortunately, we lack that in our city (and area that's pretty and is close to transit and is close to some sort of parking facility). Our book has been judged by it's cover!

I don't think Harlem, the Gowanus Canal, or Newark are any better.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:

I would drive a little farther to avoid Newark.

Whole Foods in Newark is not the Whole Foods Jersey City needs, but it is apparently the Whole Foods you deserve.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I don't care if what we get is a Whole Foods. It could be a Trader Joe's, Wegmans, Fairway, whatever ... but a proper market, in a good walkable location, is absolutely necessary in modern day Downtown Jersey City.

Whatever the HHI maybe in JC, it's a fact that most parts of Manhattan and BK look "prettier" than JC. If you see the areas that WF is in, are definitely the "prettier" areas where there are less grungy looking stores and more "trendy" stores. Unfortunately, we lack that in our city (and area that's pretty and is close to transit and is close to some sort of parking facility). Our book has been judged by it's cover!

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
WF delivers to JC? I just tried using that on the site, and it says they don't. Has anyone used that service?

Unless something has changed, the Tribeca WF delivers to JC. I believe it is a $20 or $25 fee. It is posted inside the store as such. Perhaps the online ordering system is not set up for the service. You may want to call the store. Here is the pertinent information.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
CdeCoincy, I'm just as excited as anybody about Carino Provisions at 8 Erie Street; however, this is going to be an Italian specialty market/cafe. Think cheeses, breads, salumeria, maybe some wines, espresso. Almost like a super-mini version of Eataly. It's not going to be a full functioning market that you can go to on a regular basis, unless of course you want to become extremely overweight!

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
WF delivers to JC? I just tried using that on the site, and it says they don't. Has anyone used that service?

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

They are working hammer and tong at 8 Erie Street, we might have a decent market by Thanksgiving. Eager to see what they will carry. I think fish and cheese are the big lacunae in the DTJC market basket.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I don't think anyone will move to Newark for Whole Foods, but plenty of people drive past or through Newark during their commute, or live close enough to head to Whole Foods. If it becomes a bit of a destination, then that will help improve the neighborhood, which brings more business, and eventually people might want to move there.

I would drive a little farther to avoid Newark.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/30 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
As per the census, average income in 07302, 07310 and 07030 all floats around 100k.

It's not Millburn but it's way wealthier than Newark.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I don't think anyone will move to Newark for Whole Foods, but plenty of people drive past or through Newark during their commute, or live close enough to head to Whole Foods. If it becomes a bit of a destination, then that will help improve the neighborhood, which brings more business, and eventually people might want to move there.

Who are these people you speak of?? Let's take ANY location in JC: Newark's WF may be closer (as the crow flies) but getting to it (raymond blvd, traffic, lights, etc) is definitely longer than simply going to Millburn (< 15 minutes on I-78). Heck, even for someone in Bayonne, you would get to Millburn faster than to Newark. And, once in Millburn, you have OTHER places you can visit (TJs, half mile from WF, Short Hills Mall, as well as the usual suspects: Target, Home Depot, etc) all within 5 or 10 minutes. Easy parking, little to no concern for your person or property. If you live north of Newark, you have two WFs in Montclair, as well as the on in Millburn. If you live South of Newark, you can visit other WFs or, even better, Wegman's in Woodbridge. Seriously, I do not understand who will visit this WF other than local residents, which dont quite fit the demographic.

At the end of the day, this was a politically-motivated development. Who knows what deal was struck between the Booker administration and WF, but both obviously benefited from this (WF gets to drum up their forward thinking, community-focused policies, while Booker got the positive press of attracting a company like WF to invest in Newark.)

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the petition, please sign. Wholefood actually responded to this a year ago. Yet still no action, this is ridiculous.

https://www.change.org/p/liz-burkhart- ... ey-city-for-our-residents

Quote:

Michael Sinatra responds:
Michael Sinatra
Hi all,
On behalf of the entire team at Whole Foods Market, thank you for reaching out to us with your interest in bringing our store to Jersey City. As a resident of Hudson County myself, I certainly understand your desire. Our real estate teams are consistently out and about looking at potential opportunities to serve more shoppers in the area and we've long heard loud and clear from Jersey City residents that they want a Whole Foods. Should you ever have a suggested location, please feel free to let us know in our "Suggest a Store" forum of our website.
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/forum ... 36-4fab-9cec-ae561906a267
In the meantime, we appreciate your continued patronage in Vauxhall and Edgewater... also, please know that our store in Tribeca, located on Greenwich St, 2 blocks north of the path at WTC, does in fact deliver to Jersey City and offers personal shopping and concierge services. For more information about those services, call our store at (212) 349-6555.
Thanks so much,
Michael Sinatra
Public Relations & Public Affairs
Whole Foods Market, Northeast Region

Posted on: 2014/9/30 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/30 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Good for Newark, stuff like that can only help the city grow. Personally, I really hope we never get a Whole Foods here, my rent is high enough as it is.

1. No one is moving to Newark because it has a WF. It is just too ghetto and dangerous to seriously consider. Might work in a borderline neighborhood like JSQ or the heights but not something like Greenville or Newark.

2. This is my problem with the huge boom in rental units. Too many people don't want the area to improve because their rents would go up.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City has a lot of foreign nationals, who dont fill out the census. Until the census accurately reflects how wealthy JC is, Whole Foods will continue to overlook us.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think this is a scenario of "deserve" versus not. It is plain and simple economics; there is a demand for a grocer like this in Jersey City and Hoboken. I am not sure Newark has the same kind of demand.

The petition that someone started on change.org is still short of 700 signatures; maybe we could continue with that route and hope that once we reach the total number of required signatures, we can convince a WF or TJs to come in. Or Wegmen's. We definitely need better grocers in the area. A&P, Shop Wrong and Pathmark are abysmal. Keyfoods is decent but is far for certain people.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Good for Newark, stuff like that can only help the city grow. Personally, I really hope we never get a Whole Foods here, my rent is high enough as it is.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
The people of Newark and its surrounding area deserve access to quality groceries as equally as everyone else does.

What does "deserve" mean in this context? They don't have the money to shop at WF, nor do they care about $16/lb goat milk cheeses or organic anything. People in JC and Hoboken do, which is why it should have been in this area instead.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 14:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
The people of Newark and its surrounding area deserve access to quality groceries as equally as everyone else does.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Seriously, Newark gets a store before JC? Somebody has no idea about the relative demographics, especially if the store was Downtown to include Hoboken in it's market.

It doesn't make sense to me either. The only thing I can think of is Newark's mayor/council bent over backwards for WF, while Jersey City metaphorically gave them the finger.

Granted I'd much rather have a Trader Joes, but I think the idea is the same.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i'd take a wegman's over wf any day of theweek

Posted on: 2014/9/30 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Seriously, Newark gets a store before JC? Somebody has no idea about the relative demographics, especially if the store was Downtown to include Hoboken in it's market.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 2:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/14 1:47
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Stores under development can be found here:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/company-info/stores-development

Posted on: 2014/9/30 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I own quite a few shares of WF stocks and they are not doing well, and I doubt they would open a store here in shifty city... when the stock is plummeting.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
how about an aldi market for jersey city

I've never been to one in the US, but lived down the street from one in Lyon. It was one step above a 99 cent store. Are they better here?

Aldi is the parent company of Trader Joe's. I assume they would carry a few similar items but not branded with the Trader Joe's logo.

Actually, it is not quite that simple. In fact, the Aldi supermarkets in the US are NOT AT ALL related to Trader Joe's. The Aldi supermarkets in the US are owned/operated by Aldi Sud, while the Trader Joe's supermarkets are owned by Aldi Nord. The two companies are completely separate and the result of a feud between the two founding brothers over selling cigarettes in the original Aldi stores, which they jointly owned/operated. After the rift, they split up operations. My understanding is the feud continues to this day, with cousins on opposite sides continuing the family rivalry.

In any case, both TJs and Aldi score highly in consumer surveys. I believe TJs takes the top spot, and Aldi is like #5. So, they are both obviously doing something right. In case you are wondering, the other spots in top 5 go to Whole Foods, Publix and Wegmans.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

I've never been to one in the US, but lived down the street from one in Lyon. It was one step above a 99 cent store. Are they better here?

Aldi is the parent company of Trader Joe's. I assume they would carry a few similar items but not branded with the Trader Joe's logo.

Very different from Trader Joe's. I went to Aldi a couple of times when I lived in Germany and never went back again (odd that there are no TJs in Germany). There's one in Hazlet on Rt. 35, and it's the same as the German stores - all canned and frozen food. They don't carry any perishable items at all, and the frozen food is nowhere near as good as the stuff at TJ.

Posted on: 2014/8/18 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/18 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/18 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
This sign has been there since April 1st. Not really news anymore.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Another FAKE sign. I wonder who is behind these signs in town, and what company/building they are trying to pump with these false announcements.

Official List of Whole Foods Stores in Development

JC is not mentioned at all, but there are several new stores slated for NJ. And, there is one going in at Bryant Park.

Quote:

Falcon wrote:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/8/18 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users