Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

Re: Bike Share System
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The answer lies in the astronomical costs associated with initial deployment and required on-going maintenance. I read somewhere recently that, at any given time, over 15% of bikes are off the road undergoing repairs and/or maintenance. Docks are incredibly susceptible to damage and malfunctions. It is actually quite comical to hang out at a dock and watch an endless stream of people get flustered trying to dock a bike (under the pressure of time to avoid the additional fees) and try three or four docks within the same row and NONE are working.

Not sure what the issue is, but I get the sense that this system needs a re-engineering for longer, sustained usage and abuse.

The other HUGE issue is that the revenue stream is nowhere near the necessary levels for the system to survive. The people in charge overestimated the amount of tourists or casual users that would rent the bikes (they were too expensive, but I believe pricing has been adjusted) and the amount of annual subscriptions exceeded expectations (it is priced way too low).

Citibike is not likely to survive without a serious cash injection from someone, and NYC has already said they are not coming to the rescue. I wonder if JC government has factored all of this into the decision. Are we hitching our cart to the wrong horse?

JC tax money better not be used to help out NYC in any way (through the newly shared bike system) just so Fulop can add another "progressive" credential for his governor run.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
if jc gets citibike, i'll have to tell my friend who moved to brooklyn (almost $1 million for a not so grand 1 bedroom; no doorman - REALLY insane imo!) after dismissing jersey city- his nearest citibike station is far, far, far away. had dinner with that same friend in dtjc the other night and he was surprised that part of newark ave is pedestrian andcan't wait to come back when the restaurants/bars open

Posted on: 2014/9/30 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
The answer lies in the astronomical costs associated with initial deployment and required on-going maintenance. I read somewhere recently that, at any given time, over 15% of bikes are off the road undergoing repairs and/or maintenance. Docks are incredibly susceptible to damage and malfunctions. It is actually quite comical to hang out at a dock and watch an endless stream of people get flustered trying to dock a bike (under the pressure of time to avoid the additional fees) and try three or four docks within the same row and NONE are working.

Not sure what the issue is, but I get the sense that this system needs a re-engineering for longer, sustained usage and abuse.

The other HUGE issue is that the revenue stream is nowhere near the necessary levels for the system to survive. The people in charge overestimated the amount of tourists or casual users that would rent the bikes (they were too expensive, but I believe pricing has been adjusted) and the amount of annual subscriptions exceeded expectations (it is priced way too low).

Citibike is not likely to survive without a serious cash injection from someone, and NYC has already said they are not coming to the rescue. I wonder if JC government has factored all of this into the decision. Are we hitching our cart to the wrong horse?

Posted on: 2014/9/30 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
linking to citi-bike is so much smarter than having a different system.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Great idea Steve! Citi-bike is definitely the way to go! Now I can ride my bike from lower manhattan to Jer...wait never mind.

That's exactly right! You can ride your bike in NYC to the PATH, hop off the train in JC, hop on another bike and continue your trip.
Without having to take your own bike on the PATH or leave it locked up outside the station.

Exactly. Same goes for the ferry.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
What I don't understand is how the docking can cost $3800 per slot? That's insane. I'm also not sure how the docks are going to be equitably distributed throughout JC to fulfil Fulop's promise. Walking 20 minutes to get to the bike doesn't sound like a life changing experience.

And I read that NY spends a LOT of money putting bikes on trucks and schlepping them from docks with too many to docks with none, because getting to the PATH and finding you can't dock the bike would be a problem.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Great idea Steve! Citi-bike is definitely the way to go! Now I can ride my bike from lower manhattan to Jer...wait never mind.

That's exactly right! You can ride your bike in NYC to the PATH, hop off the train in JC, hop on another bike and continue your trip.
Without having to take your own bike on the PATH or leave it locked up outside the station.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/30 5:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop ditches bike partnership with NJ neighhbors to link to Big Apple

By The Jersey Journal
September 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop first looked north, but then gazed east across the Hudson and decided that Jersey City would be better served by linking to a bike-sharing system in the Big Apple than starting a new one with Hoboken and Weehawken, according to yesterday's New York Times.

The sentiments of Tony Borelli, a board member of the advocacy group Bike JC, obviously resonates with Fulop.

"Personally, I spend a lot more time biking in New York than in Hoboken," Borelli told The Times.

For his part, Fulop told the newspaper he sees joining New York City's Citi Bike system as a way of attracting New Yorkers to jobs, restaurants and cultural offerings in Jersey City. "With Citi Bike," he said, "the benefits go both ways."

"What's most important for me is that folks in the Heights or Greenville, where's there not great access to the PATH, can get to the train, get out on the other side, and then get on a bike," Fulop added.

In February, Hoboken, Jersey City, and Weehawken, announced they planned to introduce New Jersey's first bike-share network.

Last year, Hoboken launched a pilot project with 25 bikes.

Some time between February and now, Fulop changed his mind about working with Hoboken and Weehawken.

Weehawken is still rolling with Hoboken.

"We're neighbors, so it's a great way for people to go out to restaurants or shops in either place, as well as an alternative means to get to the ferry," Weehawken Mayor Richard Turner told The Times.

The cost of the two systems is dramatically different.

Because the New York system involves a docking system, each bike costs about $5,000, which means Jersey City might have to offer subsidies if it cannot find enough sponsors to make its program viable, according to The Times.

The Hoboken bikes only cost $1,200 apiece because they can be locked to standard bike racks.

Hoboken and Weehawken are planning to roll out 300 bikes between them by the end of November and Jersey City is hoping to bring 500 to 600 Citi Bikes to its streets by next year, The Times states.

Through a crowd-sourcing initiative, Jersey City and some local organizations recently raised $37,000 to create bike racks around the city. Not clear if that money will be used to for the Citi Bike system.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... to_link_to_big_apple.html

Posted on: 2014/9/30 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I'm all for the concept and idea, providing it doesn't interfere with sidewalks and pedestrian safety or access to shops and cafe outdoor furniture.

The Share System can be done on the road by converting a car street parking bay.

Lets keep any type of vehicle segregated from pedestrian sidewalks!

Resized Image

As I've said elsewhere, generally I'm with ya. Street corrals for bike share, street corrals for public bike racks, all good.

Bike parking should never block people from walking down the sidewalk or crossing at crosswalks.

But there are surely some places where sidewalks are wide enough to put in a couple of 2-bike racks next to the curb. In a business district, those aren't any more intrusive than the million-and-one pole signs and trees and meters and mailboxes and whatnot that the bikes are currently locked to.

Oh, look, you can donate to help put in 275 of those little racks right here: Bike rack crowdfunding drive page

Posted on: 2014/7/4 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all for the concept and idea, providing it doesn't interfere with sidewalks and pedestrian safety or access to shops and cafe outdoor furniture.

The Share System can be done on the road by converting a car street parking bay.

Lets keep any type of vehicle segregated from pedestrian sidewalks!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/4 1:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elsquid wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
NYC Citibike program continues to have problems

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/c ... program-article-1.1853120

But note that article reports a possible deal in the works to help Citi Bike continue and even expand, as does this one.

Yes, the deal involves raising the cost of a subscription by 100%.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

But note that article reports a possible deal in the works to help Citi Bike continue and even expand, as does this one.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/3 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
the jersey city based bike share (with Hoboken and Weehawken) has seemingly stalled before getting off the ground, but there was a hudson county / countywide program previously in the works and still moving forward - http://hudcobikeshare.com/.

the approach is a little different and still in study phase, but taking a more measured approach.

Posted on: 2014/6/23 1:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 23:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a big supporter of bike shares in general, but I am a bit skeptical about how successful it will be on this side of the river. I just wish we thought more regionally about transportation. I think it'd be much better if the bike share membership in JC were compatible with Citibike. Even though I live in JC, I have a Citibike membership (and love it!), but I honestly can't say I'd join the bike share here if it costs the same amount. For one thing, I have a bike here, and as a previous poster mentioned, part of the appeal of Citibike is not having to schlep a bike on the PATH or ferry. That said, I hope the best for the program and am excited to see JC adopt better bicycling infrastructure.

Posted on: 2014/6/23 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Bike share programs are fine in theory, but likely doomed if anyone thinks they can be profitable. We'd be better off getting private sponsorship, give every 16-21 year-old kid a free bike and helmet, and give property or state tax payers a one-time deductible for a bike purchase. Who cares if people craigslist the bikes - most will stay in City/State and build a critical mass of cyclists in JC overnight.

Posted on: 2014/6/22 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Bike share !

NOT my idea of bike sharing

Resized Image

YES, My idea of bike sharing

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/6/22 5:13
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
they should raise the annual membership on citibike and be done with it. de blasio is nauseating on this. whats the point of lowannual membership if lf 15% of bikes are not readily usable

or, they could have better quality control at their stations. is money the real reason why these stations are malfunctioning?

Posted on: 2014/6/22 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
they should raise the annual membership on citibike and be done with it. de blasio is nauseating on this. whats the point of lowannual membership if lf 15% of bikes are not readily usable

Posted on: 2014/6/22 3:31

Re: Hudson County Bike Share program delayed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Citibank put up over $40 MILLION DOLLARS to get the NYC program underway. While the Hudson County bike program will be smaller, a lot of the startup costs will be the same. Let's be real generous and say it'll be 1/4 of the NYC cost. Now add that the main sustainability problem of the NY program is that too few users are short time, touristy types rather than frequent locals.

Hudson County would suffer worse with that kind of demographic.

So who's going to pony up the $10 million to light this candle, or will the taxpayers be asked to provide the funds for a vanity, green program for some local politicians resumes?

Posted on: 2014/6/22 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Problem with NYC bikeshare was (i) spending way more money than necessary on the bikes themselves and the stations (ii) assuming that casual users and tourists paying through the nose would be the main demographic, rather than annual members. The ridership numbers far exceed projections, but most riders have annual memberships rather than buying the much more expensive hourly, daily or weekly passes, as was assumed would happen.

I think at least the second problem should be easily avoided for Hudson County, since there are relatively fewer tourists here anyway. As long as the bike stations and bikes aren't the overpriced stuff Citibike stuck itself with, the system should be fine.

Posted on: 2014/6/22 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
well, i believe that the nyc bikeshare was too agresive in using solar/batteries. it works well in most cities including london and paris

Posted on: 2014/6/22 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Citibike is an utter financial failure. If a bike share can't work in NYC, it has no chance of working in Hudson County.

Posted on: 2014/6/22 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
well, i think they could double the citibike annual memberships and few would cancel...it is just too convenient. i wish they would raise the fare and use some of the money to improve the docking system - sometimes i have to try five times before i can take a bike

Posted on: 2014/6/21 22:39

Hudson County Bike Share program delayed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently donors are skittish after the tens of millions that Citibank poured into the NYC program haven't turned out as promised.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/north- ... =WSJ_hpp_sections_newyork

Posted on: 2014/6/21 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Sully, I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I just can't see this working. I'm imagining how many people in, say, Greenville are going to put a $100 charge on their credit cards to sign up, and what the over/under is before someone sues JC the first time a bike rider gets clipped by the Light Rail (like what happened yesterday).

As far as a secondary benefit by making more drivers/pedestrians aware of cyclists I feel it's almost as likely to make them more hostile, as inexperienced bikers start to use the roads (and sidewalks), and business owners and residents have to deal with the bike stand/kiosks-which is a major annoyance for many in Manhattan.

Maybe the question should be how much should JC be doing to make this work? Yes, this would be a feather in Fulop's cap, but is that so bad? Bike-shares are catching on nationwide, so why not take a chance on it in JC, which lacks so many amenities that other "liveable/revitalized/etc." cities have? Here is a link to a good article that explains what works, and doesn't, other places - http://www.theguardian.com/sustainabl ... us-cities-green-transport

Posted on: 2014/3/28 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sully, I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I just can't see this working. I'm imagining how many people in, say, Greenville are going to put a $100 charge on their credit cards to sign up, and what the over/under is before someone sues JC the first time a bike rider gets clipped by the Light Rail (like what happened yesterday).

As far as a secondary benefit by making more drivers/pedestrians aware of cyclists I feel it's almost as likely to make them more hostile, as inexperienced bikers start to use the roads (and sidewalks), and business owners and residents have to deal with the bike stand/kiosks-which is a major annoyance for many in Manhattan.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 11:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
I have a beater bike I ride around JC all the time... but the beauty of a bike share system is that you can use it for one-way trips. Of course this means the operator has to do some re-balancing - that's always going to be part of the deal with any of these systems.

For example... I live near Lincoln Park. If there's a bike station nearby, I can see myself using it on the weekend to get downtown to meet friends for dinner - then either catch a lift or take a cab home.

Quote:

tern wrote:
I don't understand who would be hiring these bikes in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 7:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand who would be hiring these bikes in Jersey City.

In Manhattan it makes sense, you have folks from NJ and outer boroughs coming into the city on trains and subways where it is difficult if not impossible to bring their own bike. Plus you have tourists.
These are obvious user bases.

In Jersey City, those who live here and want to ride a bike to work will have a bike of their own, how many people from outside Jersey City will be coming here and want to hire a bike?
And how many tourists will Jersey City have wanting to hire bikes.

I wish the scheme well, I commute to work daily on my bike, but I can't see the market for this in Jersey City.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 5:39

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017