Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: PATH is down again today!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Do you just lift Christie quotes and regurtitate them here?

Seriously, who in your admin are you? You'll be outed soon enough by the federal probe.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mastablasta wrote:
Just FYI...the fares for PATH increase to $2.75 on Wednesday. So, if you have a smartlink card, you should really max it now before the fares go up. I believe the maximum you can put on the card is 140 trips.

Also, be aware that, believe it or not, the 140-trip maximum can not be loaded in any way you want. I happen to discover this the hard way. You can only load up two "product types" per card, at a time. So, you can load up two (2) 40-trips, two (2) 20-trips and two (2) 10-trips. It is the most asinine thing ever. And, there is no way for you to know what product type you are currently using (you can call customer support and ask, though). So, if you have a 2 trips left in a 40-trip product, you can not load two additional ones. You will have to load one 40-trip and max out on the other ones.

I really, really despise the way PATH is managed.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 16:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users
Just FYI...the fares for PATH increase to $2.75 on Wednesday. So, if you have a smartlink card, you should really max it now before the fares go up. I believe the maximum you can put on the card is 140 trips.

Posted on: 2014/9/29 12:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/14 1:47
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Looking forward to the day when the [7] train make its across over Hudson and we have an alternative.
That day will be around 2030 my humble guess.

Posted on: 2014/9/28 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
PATH should be given to the MTA

There really isn't any incentive in the world to make this acceptable to the MTA.

Posted on: 2014/9/28 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
PATH should be given to the MTA

Posted on: 2014/9/28 16:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Sigh ! Unfortunately you are dealing with one of the most powerful monster quasi-government agency in the country that only Congress can fix. Even the Governor of NJ had to flirt with it for political support as has been shown with the GW Bridgegate scandal.
As far as the PA is concerned, JC is no threat to them as far they are concerned. They could defend their status quo and saddle JC with legal bills that tax payers must account for . Yes I agree, the PATH must be removed from their control and be an independent entity. It can never be managed profitably it will always be in debt and fares may have to be raised to support its operation. Perhaps more advertising revenues from the trains and stations may be one method of raising revenue.

Posted on: 2014/9/28 15:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/17 20:47
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
When I saw this PathAlert yesterday [ Current PATH Service: JSQ-33 (Direct service. Not stopping at HOB.), Newport-HOB (Shuttle), NWK-WTC (WTC & Ex Pl stations open.) ], I got a little verklempt. It seemed like they maybe had it together a little bit after some issue at HOB.
I should've known, though - still no agents or clear announcements at the stations to disseminate info.

I had something come up where I had to run into the city yesterday, and I was super lucky WTC was running.
By time I was finished and heading home, I had received a PathAlert saying the JSQ / 33rd via HOB was resuming normal service, but I had no idea whether that meant WTC was still running. I chanced it and went down to the station and it was still running. No idea if it's still running today, or how late it ran yesterday, or what...

Posted on: 2014/9/28 15:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/16 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
Is the train running to wtc today or is that done?

Posted on: 2014/9/28 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday 11AM was on the 33rd line. Got to Newport and there was an announcement that if you wanted to go to Hoboken you had to change to a shuttle on the opposite track. Confusion by some especially the day trippers who don't take PATH every day. After two minutes the train took off for Christopher. No agents on the platform. Later heard of a derailment. What is it with the train to WTC? Why are there no red jackets on the platforms at these times & the response that nobody knows anything is totally unacceptable. To the barricades.

Posted on: 2014/9/28 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Bringing the conversation back to PATH service, at least one train left Journal Square for World Trade Center on Saturday the 27th at around 9:30 A.M. and I got on it. As usual a 33rd bound train was waiting in the station and the usual inbound train from Newark stopped and everyone got off and ran across to the 33rd St train. Except this time not EVERYONE got off and there was no "this is the last stop on this train" message and the lighted sign on the outside of the train remained illuminated with the words: "World Trade Center" so I took a gamble and got on. Nobody aboard knew if the train was going to reach WTC or go dormant. We DID go to WTC and in that station I asked a few uniformed people and they knew nothing then I asked some train guys and they were perplexed too. I have no idea how long the service was in effect.

Posted on: 2014/9/28 12:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Actually the original estimate in 08 was 2 billion.

The PA itself has said the building will not be profitable in the short and midterm.

The tower is a financial disaster at all levels abd we are paying for it in underinvestments in transportation and rising ticket fares. Anyone who thinks The freedom tower is a good investment probably can't even bathe themselves

Watch out for raining pig manure, V15 and I are in agreement!

Quote:
Last time I checked, plural means anything more than one.
Since couple refers to integers, I'm perfectly comfortable gently rounding 1.8 calling it a couple.

Your preference is duly noted. Still, more than one billion can be referred to as billions.

Um, Dubya, check the score, I was the one who originally said "billions" in post #54.

Posted on: 2014/9/28 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
brewster wrote: Quote:
vindication15 wrote: Actually the original estimate in 08 was 2 billion. The PA itself has said the building will not be profitable in the short and midterm. The tower is a financial disaster at all levels abd we are paying for it in underinvestments in transportation and rising ticket fares. Anyone who thinks The freedom tower is a good investment probably can't even bathe themselves
Watch out for raining pig manure, V15 and I are in agreement! Quote:
Since couple refers to integers, I'm perfectly comfortable gently rounding 1.8 calling it a couple.
Your preference is duly noted. Still, more than one billion can be referred to as billions.

Posted on: 2014/9/27 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
We need to get serious with rail travel !

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/9/27 3:28
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

The PA itself has said the building will not be profitable in the short and midterm.

The tower is a financial disaster at all levels abd we are paying for it in underinvestments in transportation and rising ticket fares. Anyone who thinks The freedom tower is a good investment probably can't even bathe themselves

Watch out for raining pig manure, V15 and I are in agreement!

Quote:

Posted on: 2014/9/26 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

oJcanuC wrote:
Only a fool would excuse Cuomo on the premise that "no one expects Cuomo to give a crap". NY is just as much affected by the PATH as NJ is. Similarly Newark airport is as affected as what goes on (or doesn't go on) at JFK. And it wasn't "billions" that went to the Skyway. It was $1.8 billion. And it wasn't inappropriately diverted. It was perfectly well diverted through appropriate channels. Stop with the hyperbole and stick with the facts.

Tee hee, "$1.8 billion is not "billions". Rationalize much? As for Cuomo it's simple really, Cuomo doesn't have voters who ride the PATH. So, no NY is not as affected. The economic effect of NJ workers is far too abstract for election politics.

Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
PA obviously didn't have the option to just bow out of building the memorial and a new transit station.

Not obvious to me at all. They were simply the landlord of a site leased for 100 years. They could have sat back and let NYC and whoever else wanted to be part of it do it. The Calatrava Mall is a particular travesty and waste of money, aside from the inevitable big phallus we needed to wave at the world. A new PATH station could have been build for a fraction of that white elephant. None of this was assets that served the PA's stakeholders. The tower will NEVER be a cashflowing asset. The cost of security alone insures this. The whole "Ground Zero" venture was pure pillage.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/26 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Ultimately the difference between investing in the World Trade Center and the Pulaski skyway is that the World Trade Center will generate money for the Port Authority.

Real estate investments and transportation have long been a mutual beneficial method of generating money. The federal government incentivized building a national rail network by offering land grants for railroads. They built the system and then profited from the land either by developing it or selling once it was connected to the network. Trolly companies would buy up land and develop a network, profiting not from the transportation but the real estate development that gain value from transportation that loses money.

The original WTC complex also generated passengers for the then near bankrupt Hudson Tubes that the Authority had become responsible for maintaining. That was during a time when nobody worried about crowding on the train.

There are plenty of things to be critical of the Port Authority for, but developing the WTC and the underground mall is not one of them. These are capital investments that will pay dividends, and help fund the agency in the future. The whole point of the agency is to act as a regional economic investor, collecting profits that are reinvested in the region (rather than collected as shareholder profits as in a private corporation). The problem has been in recent years, that governors on both sides of the river, of both parties, have funneled money into projects that are not capital investments -- items like the Pulaski Skyway are big ones, but there are plenty of smaller things as well.

The freedom tower was estimated to cost 3 billion to build but actually cost 3.9, a cool 1 billion more, making it the most expensive building in the world to build. It took 13 years to build also. There is plenty of criticism about the WTC...

By the time this building becomes profitable for the PA, flying cars will already exist.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Ultimately the difference between investing in the World Trade Center and the Pulaski skyway is that the World Trade Center will generate money for the Port Authority.

Real estate investments and transportation have long been a mutual beneficial method of generating money. The federal government incentivized building a national rail network by offering land grants for railroads. They built the system and then profited from the land either by developing it or selling once it was connected to the network. Trolly companies would buy up land and develop a network, profiting not from the transportation but the real estate development that gain value from transportation that loses money.

The original WTC complex also generated passengers for the then near bankrupt Hudson Tubes that the Authority had become responsible for maintaining. That was during a time when nobody worried about crowding on the train.

There are plenty of things to be critical of the Port Authority for, but developing the WTC and the underground mall is not one of them. These are capital investments that will pay dividends, and help fund the agency in the future. The whole point of the agency is to act as a regional economic investor, collecting profits that are reinvested in the region (rather than collected as shareholder profits as in a private corporation). The problem has been in recent years, that governors on both sides of the river, of both parties, have funneled money into projects that are not capital investments -- items like the Pulaski Skyway are big ones, but there are plenty of smaller things as well.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

oJcanuC wrote:
Only a fool would excuse Cuomo on the premise that "no one expects Cuomo to give a crap". NY is just as much affected by the PATH as NJ is. Similarly Newark airport is as affected as what goes on (or doesn't go on) at JFK. And it wasn't "billions" that went to the Skyway. It was $1.8 billion. And it wasn't inappropriately diverted. It was perfectly well diverted through appropriate channels. Stop with the hyperbole and stick with the facts.

Tee hee, "$1.8 billion is not "billions". Rationalize much? As for Cuomo it's simple really, Cuomo doesn't have voters who ride the PATH. So, no NY is not as affected. The economic effect of NJ workers is far too abstract for election politics.

Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
PA obviously didn't have the option to just bow out of building the memorial and a new transit station.

Not obvious to me at all. They were simply the landlord of a site leased for 100 years. They could have sat back and let NYC and whoever else wanted to be part of it do it. The Calatrava Mall is a particular travesty and waste of money, aside from the inevitable big phallus we needed to wave at the world. A new PATH station could have been build for a fraction of that white elephant. None of this was assets that served the PA's stakeholders. The tower will NEVER be a cashflowing asset. The cost of security alone insures this. The whole "Ground Zero" venture was pure pillage.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 5:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

oJcanuC wrote:

More than $1 billion is "billions". If the diversion of funds wasn't inappropriate, why are the SEC and Manhattan DA's office investigating it? (facts)

Posted on: 2014/9/26 4:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:
The problem with the Port Authority, it's been a political patronage cesspool for decades. There is absolutely no accountability because the political leaders who appoint their cronies will not punish them.

I truly believe that Cuomo doesn't care because the system serves NJ and Christie doesn't care because he's a suburban Republican from West NJ.

Definitely this. I'll add that Christie is busy raising donations for national office. This is probably the last thing on his mind. The only way he'd care is if there were news articles discussing the abysmal failure of the PA on his watch, and I doubt that will happen.

Cuomo is out trying to score half a billion dollars from the NY State EPA by diverting 'clean water' money to fund the Tappan Zee Bridge-is that screwing up the PATH as well?

Putting the blame on Christie for PATH failures is stupid, unless you also want to have Cuomo share the blame equally, and both would be wrong anyway.

Difference is no one expects Cuomo to give a crap, but given how many citizens of his state commute using PATH and other transit, Christie should care about trans Hudson mass transit. But he's made clear he doesn't by diverting funds from transit to roads. Had the billions in PA cash diverted inappropriately to the Skyway been spent (as they should have) on the PATH upgrades, things would be different. The Skyway sure needed help, but not from the PA.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The Port Authority needs to get out of the real estate game and concentrate on transportation.

That was actually the plan, and why they leased the WTC site to Silverstein for 99 years (and $3.2 billion). If 9/11 hadn't happened, they wouldn't be spending much time or money on the WTC site.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The Port Authority needs to get out of the real estate game and concentrate on transportation.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I'm all for PA reform. It needs to be reined in. But don't forget Christie is dealing with an opposition party controlling the NJ Legislature, and he's had to deal with pension reform (not done), tenure reform, municipal tax caps, school funding (lucky JC tax payers get Christmas delivered 52 weeks a year to the tune of about 10 million a week from other NJ taxpayers), and the Obama economy. Plus prevailing wage laws enacted by Democrats that have depleted our Transportation Trust fund because it costs 8X the national average to pave a mile of highway. Not to mention funding school construction after the Democrats looted and wasted the 6 billion set aside for that with little results.

What a Christie suck-up you are. According to his reelection ads he's already accomplished most of the things you say are not done. Would you like to import workers from 3rd world countries who will be paid 25 cents an hour to pave the roads ? And as for the Obama economy, unemployment down, new housing starts up, DOW at record levels, etc.

You are pathetic !

Posted on: 2014/9/26 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
just because past governors were neglioglent in dealing with the Port Authority is no reason for christie to continue the trend.

You mean 'just because . . . . . is no reason for Christie and Cuomo to continue the trend'.

I'm all for PA reform. It needs to be reined in. But don't forget Christie is dealing with an opposition party controlling the NJ Legislature, and he's had to deal with pension reform (not done), tenure reform, municipal tax caps, school funding (lucky JC tax payers get Christmas delivered 52 weeks a year to the tune of about 10 million a week from other NJ taxpayers), and the Obama economy. Plus prevailing wage laws enacted by Democrats that have depleted our Transportation Trust fund because it costs 8X the national average to pave a mile of highway. Not to mention funding school construction after the Democrats looted and wasted the 6 billion set aside for that with little results.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
just because past governors were neglioglent in dealing with the Port Authority is no reason for christie to continue the trend.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Underinvestment in public transportation and infrastructure did not start with Christie, and will likely not end with Christie. But he is one of the worst. Cancelling the Trans Hudson Express tunnel was a colossal blunder. The diversion of PA money for Pulaski repairs is pretty bad. There's also allowing PATH fares to finally surpass those of the subway and cutting back Hudson Bergen Light Rail Service.

These are not amenities that his constituency uses very much. And smart development of cities and more commute friendly suburbs/transit villages is not a vision that benefits him or his political ideology.

Yes, McGreevey, Corzine, Whitman all should have raised the gas tax and been more aggressive in building and repairing infrastructure. But while we can debate whether Christie is qualitatively or merely quantitatively worse, there's no doubt he's worse.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Silly children. You post in a Jersey City forum, and have no understanding how politics work in Hudson County and NYC and the Port Authority? The PA had agreed, pre Christie, to build the Freedom Tower-he was smart enough to ask for a quid pro quo. Where the F do you think the Pulaski Skyway leads to, anyway? Be happy it's only costing us half it would without the PA money. Otherwise, you're just another self hating NJ taxpayer who likes getting screwed by NY.

What did Corzine, McGreevey, Florio due to repair/upgrade mass transit infrastructure-but a once in a million year perfect storm hits NJ, and it's Christie's fault?

How much mouthwash do you go through?

Witty retort. What did Corzine, McGreevey, and Florio do to make the infrastructure better?

It was a freaking fire in NYC that caused the outage this week. Every time there is a subway disruption is it Cuomo's fault? The 7 train was shut down for how long, was that Cuomo's fault?

You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Silly children. You post in a Jersey City forum, and have no understanding how politics work in Hudson County and NYC and the Port Authority? The PA had agreed, pre Christie, to build the Freedom Tower-he was smart enough to ask for a quid pro quo. Where the F do you think the Pulaski Skyway leads to, anyway? Be happy it's only costing us half it would without the PA money. Otherwise, you're just another self hating NJ taxpayer who likes getting screwed by NY.

What did Corzine, McGreevey, Florio due to repair/upgrade mass transit infrastructure-but a once in a million year perfect storm hits NJ, and it's Christie's fault?

How much mouthwash do you go through?

Posted on: 2014/9/26 0:12

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017