Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Staten Island's famous Groundhog Chuck calls for an early spring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I think these poor zoo groundhogs hate these political photo ops -- remember Staten Island Chuck did bite Bloomberg in 2009 -- here he is in 2010 with leather welding gloves.

Resized Image

Quote:

Staten Island Advance
February 02, 2010

Groundhog Staten Island Chuck did not bite Mayor Bloomberg this year...

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... ands_famous_groundho.html

Posted on: 2014/9/25 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Call me paranoid, but I strongly feel that the death is very suspicious, especially after the fact that Chuck showed his distaste and distrust for de Blasio in such a public manner.

Even if he did not suffer internal injuries, I bet the mayor's "assistants" helped bring along this tragedy. I don't think de Blasio can handle such a betrayal in public, without "getting even".

So sad....

Posted on: 2014/9/25 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Staten Island Chuck died a week after being dropped by de Blasio on Groundhog Day

Chuck ? actually Charlotte, a female groundhog that?s one of a the many the Staten Island Zoo rotates in for the task of predicting the arrival of spring ? died of internal injuries shortly after the drop, but it is not known if the fall from the 6-foot-5 mayor?s hands caused the injuries.

BY JENNIFER FERMINO
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, September 25, 2014

Staten Island Chuck ? or Charlotte ? leaped from Mayor de Blasio?s hands during Groundhog Day on Feb. 2.

Ooops.

A week after Mayor de Blasio dropped Staten Island Chuck on Groundhog Day, the critter was found dead of internal injuries.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/s ... hog-day-article-1.1952353

Posted on: 2014/9/25 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Staten Island Chuck has been right far more often then Phil ... There are now many other groundhogs around the country that also do this... There is even another Chuck in Ohio!

Pennsylvania has taken a lot of gambling away from Jersey so sh!t happens...

===============================
Resized Image
Groundhog Day Predictions: Phil & Chuck Disagree

Today is February 2nd, which means its groundhog day. Earlier this morning, two of the country's most famous groundhogs crawled out of their holes to let us know whether spring is just around the corner, or if we'll have another 6 more weeks of winter to endure. Punxsutawney Phil from Pennsylvania saw his shadow today, which according to tradition means it'll be a long winter. However, Buckeye Chuck from Ohio failed to see his shadow and predicts an early spring.

Phil and Chuck agreed in 2009, and in 2008 they disagreed. Perhaps their predictions can be interpreted by state - that Ohio will see an early spring, and Pennsylvania will continue to experience cold and snow. It's entirely possible seeing as how the eastern seaboard continues to get dumped on by the snow, while Ohio has fared a bit better.

The Old Farmers Almanac, another old tradition of determining how long and brutal the winter will be, is on Phil's side and has predicted a long, cold winter for much of the United States.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Has Punxsutawney Phil been replaced by a Staten Island upstart? Phil did see his shadow this morning.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:14

Staten Island's famous Groundhog Chuck calls for an early spring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Staten Island's famous Groundhog Chuck calls for an early spring

By Maura Yates
Staten Island Advance
February 02, 2010

Resized Image
Groundhog Chuck made his prediction at the Staten Island Zoo at 7:30 a.m. He did not bite Mayor Bloomberg this year.

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- It's official -- or as official as groundhogs can make a prediction: We'll see an early spring this year.

Lured out of his house, Charles G. Hogg, better known as Staten Island Chuck, did not see his shadow and declared that winter will be over in two weeks.

"No shadow," said Mayor Michael Bloomberg. "Spring is coming."

Pennsylvania's Punxsutawney Phil, meanwhile -- called for six more weeks of winter.

With all eyes on the pair with a rich history, Chuck did not bite Hizzoner today, instead acting as a sophisticated rodent.

"I think I have to be magnanimous and say that he put up a good fight," Bloomberg quipped after it took a few minutes to coax -- more like drag -- Chuck out of his winter home

"I think it's clear who the champion really was. Last year, I was willing to put that finger, right here, in the way to protect the people of this great borough. The only thing that stood between Chuck and you getting bitten was my finger and I have a scar to prove exactly how much I love one of the five best boroughs we have."

The mayor donned heavy work animal-handling gloves this year after last year's leather proved no match for the groundhog.

It didn't seem like spring -- it was cold at the Zoo with temperatures in the mid-20s this morning. Chuck's prediction will get an early test with about an inch of snow forecast for tonight and another storm possible Friday night.

Children, their parents and curious onlookers started gathering early as the gates opened at about 6:45 a.m.

"I want him to say spring -- it's freezing," Michelle Sulkin, 9, of Grasmere said before the ceremony began.

Her friend Jessica Maizer, 10, of Dongan Hills, disagreed.

"I like winter," she said, adding that she had just been ice skating over the weekend.

In the moments leading up to the ceremony, children began chanting 'We want Chuck' as Bloomberg took his place on the podium. Advance Editor Brian Laline presided over the ceremony and a number of other elected officials and community leaders were on hand.

Albert Cardone, 8, of West Brighton, brought a First Aid kit in case Bloomberg needed medical attention.

"I'm pretty much ready for the sun," he said, revealing his desire for winter to end.

Groundhog Day stems from the ancient belief that hibernating creatures were able to predict the arrival of springtime by their emergence. The German immigrants known as the Pennsylvania Dutch brought the tradition to the United States in the 18th century.

Had Chuck seen his shadow, it would have signified six more weeks of winter.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... ands_famous_groundho.html

Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017