Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Proposed development on Van Vorst between Sussex & Morris
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i really don't see the problem with going to 15 stories as long as there are givebacks..more public park space al la the developments in williamsburg.

any renderings?

Posted on: 2014/9/22 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
My understanding is that the Paulus Hook Neighborhood Association blessed this. My complaint is that if you don't live in Paulus Hook, you wouldn't have had any way of knowing about this until now - after it has been introduced to the council and only a couple of days before the vote for final adoption occurs.

I live in Gull's Cove (which is closer to the proposed building than at least half of Paulus Hook), on the 10th floor. I bought my home based on the previously approved zoning and the views it accorded. With a capricious wave of a wand (and a developer's check book for something called the "Four Corners Park" - how you can have a park with two major streets comprising at least half the space is beyond me), that is gone. I can live without seeing the Freedom Tower, but it certainly has a potential impact on my resale value.

I accompanied my friend on the tour when he bought in GC and the realtor emphasized to him that the views are not promised, even on the PH levels. Since owners in a newport building won their lawsuit against the developer, I know for sure that realtors are not promising any views of any kind. If you were promised a view, then you have precedent to sue and win that case.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 17:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Atrocious. *15* stories? This is practically as tall as one of the Portside Towers at the end of Warren St. That is *huge*. This has the potential to change the character of the entire neighborhood. That neighborhood is already becoming overcrowded. Now they're trying to turn it into Newport.

Amazing what writing a big enough check for the proposed park will do for a developer. A lousy $150k contribution to the park? Who knew Paulus Hook could be bought off so cheaply?

Atrocious?? Strong comments for someone who probably has not seen renderings and likely does not even live in the neighborhood.
I'm assuming you prefer the vacant lot? Or better yet, you preferred the burnt out factory and desolate side street that used to be there. The one you couldn't park on because every night the cars would be broken into?
This lot backs up to the football field and will not affect the neighborhood any different than a 7 story tower would. It will add retail and parking and change the street scape for the better.
As for Gulls Cove, there is new construction everywhere. The views that didn't get lost from 18 park will now have to worry about the new hotel on Marin that will be 16 stories, and the vacant pest control lot that will be developed. There will also be high rises going up between sussex and morris on the water that will be much higher than 15 stories so any west facing views in Gulls Cove are on borrowed time anyway.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
My understanding is that the Paulus Hook Neighborhood Association blessed this.

That is 100% false. I am on the HPHA and they did not give their consent whatsoever. I will defer to the actual board members (I'm a voting member, but not a board member) on the meetings that took place discussing this development. The long and short of it is that they don't have any legitimate power to stop the city's development office from approving it. That is, unless someone organized ALL of the residents of those streets to petition against it and present it to city hall.

As a result, they're negotiating concessions from the builders to benefit the community (money for the new parks to be built, XYZ number of retail spaces of a certain type, etc.).

Again, I can't speak to all of the specifics, but HPHA did not bless this one. Whomever told you that is ill informed.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
You don't have to live in PH to speak out against it, ya know...

Posted on: 2014/9/22 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Atrocious. *15* stories? This is practically as tall as one of the Portside Towers at the end of Warren St. That is *huge*. This has the potential to change the character of the entire neighborhood. That neighborhood is already becoming overcrowded. Now they're trying to turn it into Newport.

Amazing what writing a big enough check for the proposed park will do for a developer. A lousy $150k contribution to the park? Who knew Paulus Hook could be bought off so cheaply?

Posted on: 2014/9/22 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
It sounds like you should really get your Gulls Cove neighbors together and speak out against this at the city meetings stat. We were successful in doing this via the Council for the McGinely Sq. Redevelopment Plan. Its worth it.

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
My understanding is that the Paulus Hook Neighborhood Association blessed this. My complaint is that if you don't live in Paulus Hook, you wouldn't have had any way of knowing about this until now - after it has been introduced to the council and only a couple of days before the vote for final adoption occurs.

I live in Gull's Cove (which is closer to the proposed building than at least half of Paulus Hook), on the 10th floor. I bought my home based on the previously approved zoning and the views it accorded. With a capricious wave of a wand (and a developer's check book for something called the "Four Corners Park" - how you can have a park with two major streets comprising at least half the space is beyond me), that is gone. I can live without seeing the Freedom Tower, but it certainly has a potential impact on my resale value.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
They want to increase the height from 6 stories to 15 stores????

The developers have more to lose if it is not approved. They are "donating" their services to improve the amenities for their own tenants.

Would suggest asking for more incentives and making sure they pay for it all.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/22 16:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/6 1:21
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
Just saw the changes the developer wants on Candice Osborne's website. We really have to stop giving into these developers. They want to change the zoning regulations to add more stories. The area is zoned for 6 story buildings and they want 15 stories. Here is the link which has a survey too.

http://candiceosborne.com/updates/wee ... n-marin-between-8th-9th-2

Posted on: 2014/9/22 16:09

Proposed development on Van Vorst between Sussex & Morris
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/20 16:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
A major change is happening on this section of downtown jersey city. This calls for an amendment to a redevelopment plan known as "Tidewater Basin Redevelopment plan" proposed on 8/11/14. It says the developer has met with impacted residents on nearby streets as well as multiple times with the "neighborhood association". I just found out about it through someone in the neighbourhood two days ago. The final reading will be on 9-23-14 tuesday at 5.30 pm before the city counci , two days from now.. Since this is the first item on the agenda be there early if you have comments about the project or how you could be impacted. This is your opportunity to voice your views.

Posted on: 2014/9/21 20:30

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017