Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: STUYVESANT STATUE ON THE MOVE!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Just received a call from someone who said the Stuyvesant statue will not remain on Newkirk & Sip permanently. Apparently the city is still trying to raise the $100 thousand for a permanent base and then the statue will be put back in its original home in front of MLK school.

Posted on: 2014/9/9 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Just passed the Peter Stuyvesant statue in the HCCC Culinary School Park on Sip Avenue and I must say it looks splendid in its new home.

Posted on: 2014/9/8 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Peter Stuyvesant monument will return to Jersey City

By Yarleen Hernandez/The Jersey Journal
July 09, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Peter Stuyvesant is going ?home? again.
Not to the Netherlands, but to a cozy spot he?s grown accustomed to ? at School 11 in Jersey City.

Removed from outside the Bergen Avenue school in February 2010, the one-ton bronze statue is now sitting at the city?s Department Public Works garage on Route 440.

Construction began last week on Bergen Avenue and Academy Street for a foundation for the statue, a concrete pad that will hold the statue?s base, pedestal, and the statue of the former Dutch Director-General of New Netherlands (now called New York) and the governor who authorized the Village of Bergen (the area surrounding Journal Square) to be built in 1660.

A $25,000 grant from the Hudson County Open Space and Historic Preservation Trust Fund paid for the restoration of the bronze ?Bergen Monument? and the foundation that is under construction.

But the cost to restore the statue?s base and pedestal, complete with original inscriptions and images of sailing ships, will cost at least another $100,000, according to John Hallanan, president of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy.
Hallanan said the city will be applying next month for more county trust fund grants to get the job done.

?The material to use is granite, because it is durable,? Hallanan said. ?That?s what was built on it originally. It?s not a cheap material.?

Hallanan could not say when the project would be finished.

The city briefly lost custody of the statue in 2010.

Under the impression it was theirs to give away, the Jersey City Board of Education donated the statue to Hudson County Community College to be used as the centerpiece for the pocket park opposite the college?s Culinary Arts Center on Newkirk Street.

During that episode, workers removed the statue and its base and pedestal were destroyed, Hallanan said.

?There was public outcry,? said Hallanan. ?There were legal questions for the school board to give the statue away and whether the community college was rightfully in possession.?

The issue of ownership has since been resolved in the city?s favor. When the monument is put back at the school, it will be on the sidewalk instead of behind the school?s iron fence.

The statue was restored by Jersey City-based Zakalak Restoration Arts.

The monument is 20 to 21 feet tall and 19 feet wide,

The well-known sculptor John Massey Rhind made the statue for $15,000 and donated it to the village in October 1913.

This October will mark its 100-year anniversary.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _square.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/7/9 23:57

Re: Who should pay to restore the Peter Stuyvesant sculpture to its home?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
JerseyCityFrankie I was just going to post the below thread?you beat me. I will post it anyway under yours. I totally agree with what you are saying?.

Jersey City and Hudson County contribute toward pedestal for restored Peter Stuyvesant statue

Published: Saturday, July 14, 2012, 3:00 AM
By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City and Hudson County have agreed to donate $65,000 for a new pedestal for the Peter Stuyvesant statue that commemorates the location of the village that grew to become Jersey City.

A $9,000 restoration of the 98-year-old statue of the governor of New Netherlands who authorized the Village of Bergen to be built in 1660 is complete.

But before the gleaming 9-foot bronze statue can return to its original location in front of School 11 on Bergen Avenue, a new foundation and pedestal must be built, said John Hallanan, president of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, which is managing the project.

The estimated cost of building a replica of the original granite-clad pedestal with wings, benches and carved sailing ships, is $75,000.

Full JJ piece?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ty_and_hudson_county.html

Great news!

There is a great picture of the base and the old PS #11 school which burned down in the 60?s in the print JJ with no link. I did find the below picture of the original base that they are going to recreate on the www.appletreehouse.org website. (I remember playing on that base as a kid)

Much cooler than the one the HC as*hole hacks ripped apart. (Funny how there was never any comment from the head HC hack in all of this. ) They also should also move the statue back to where it originally was more towards the center of the property. Get it away from the ugly brick wall. And as amends to Peter rename PS #11 the Peter Stuyvesant school!!!

http://appletreehouse.org/wp-content/ ... 2/stuyvesant_postcard.jpg

The above picture is from The Apple Tree Site?

http://appletreehouse.org/the-stolen-statue/

I think I read it on JCList in a post from Yvonne where she said it is disgusting that JC/HC doesn?t recognize or celebrate it?s rich history. I agree.

Posted on: 2012/7/14 13:16

Who should pay to restore the Peter Stuyvesant sculpture to its home?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ty_and_hudson_county.html

The saga of the Stuyvesant sculpture is one of my favorite potential scandals so I always take note when it pops up in the news again. Like all the reporting I have seen on the issue, this Jersey Journal article appears to be pulling some punches. But this latest one hints at the real issues in the final third and it makes me wish they had dug deeper. My take on the story has always been like this but with gaps in my understanding: Hudson County Community College had a new plaza planed for the area in front of their culinary arts building and decided they needed a nice monument to be a centerpiece. At some point they decided the best solution would be to pull strings and get the city to allow them to move the existing Stuyvesant sculpture from its home to the new plaza. To prevent criticism they promised to fund a new monument to take the place of the old one, this one dedicated to martin Luther King. And somehow the city allowed them to remove the monument from its longtime home but it never materialized at the new location and has been in limbo for a couple of year now. No Martin Luther King monument ever materialized and now we learn from this news item it was deemed too expensive. Some of the gaps in my understanding are: If they had the funding to make a Martin Luther King monument why didn?t they just buy a new monument for their plaza instead of looting the Stuyvesant one? What city agency would allow this blatant misuse of the cities cultural resources? Aren?t those agencies in place to PREVENT this sort of thing from happening? And then what went wrong with the scheme? We now know it was thwarted but there is no explanation of how the College changed its mind and abandoned the Stuyvesant sculpture to limbo in a warehouse. Who do we have to thank for putting the brakes on this project? THATS the real story.
So that?s how I saw this unfolding and it takes us to where we are now, with the city trying to put the monument back to where it was and trying to raise a considerable sum to do so, but with the Board of Ed and Hudson Community College refusing to kick in. As I said, my grasp of the situation is a bit vague but shouldn?t the college pay the entire bill since they set the ball in motion and caused this to happen? If I?m not being fair or I am missing important facts I would LOVE to have someone in the know set me straight.
I take the Jersey Journal to task for not delving into the real issues in this story, what they present in the article is a bit of a whitewash in my opinion.

Posted on: 2012/7/14 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
On a side note: Any shadowy city agency that wants to steal a statue? Why not take that horrible Christopher Columbus statue at Journal Square? You could just come in the middle of the night and switch the statues. As much as I want to defend good art in this town, I would be glad to put on an all black ninja suit and meet you guys at 3:00 A.M. to help you make the switch! Peter Stuyvesant needs a plinth to sit on and the Columbus statue is just a big piece of junk so you could kill two birds with one stone! You could either melt down Columbus as scrap or maybe just use it as an anchor on a ship?

Posted on: 2011/8/13 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I want to apologize to the good people of the Landmarks Conservancy. In my earlier post I suggested erroneously that they may have played some roll in the original decision to move the artwork when in fact they are working to return the sculpture. Also in my last post I called the subject of the sculpture Peter Cooper when in fact Peter Stuyvesant is the subject of this well executed bronze statue.
I would still like to have the entire issue explained from the beginning. All the accounts I have read tiptoe lightly around the issue of who put the wheel in motion to move the sculpture. I want to know who they are since in my mind those are the people who should pay the entire cost for the return of the sculpture. The press release that is at the start of this thread glosses over that part, as do all the news items I have read. Once again I?m calling out for clarity, I would like people who understand what is going on here to write in and shed light on the names of all the players and their rolls in this fiasco. My memory is hazy but I recall an issue with the sculpture being located on land owned by the Board Of Education and some confusion about who had jurisdiction. But clearly SOME person persons or agency pulled strings to take the sculpture. And subsequently it was recognized that they had no right to take it and now it?s going to cost at least $75,000 to put things back the way they were. Shouldn?t the responsible parties bear the cost of returning the sculpture to where it belongs?
I guess the person I would most want to hear form is Maryanne Kelleher, Director of Cultural Affairs, since her office would be the logical one to explain what is going on and why it falls to an agency like the Landmark Conservancy to pick up the pieces and cover the cost. But I would be glad to hear from anyone with insight into how this thing happened. I wouldn?t even mind hearing from the people that tried to take the sculpture in the first place since they owe us all an explanation for why they thought they could take it and why they aren?t stepping foreword to pay for the damage they have done.

Posted on: 2011/8/13 14:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/26 3:22
From Jersey City/New York City
Group:
Registered Users
PHOTO GALLERY: Peter Stuyvesant Delivered to The Beacon for Restoration

To view photos of the Stuyvesant statue's delivery (Friday, August 12, 2011) to The Beacon residential complex, go to:

http://photos.nj.com/4505/gallery/pet ... or_restoration/index.html

These images are all by Reena Rose Sibayan for The Jersey Journal.

- PTV

Posted on: 2011/8/13 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I would hate to think anyone from an organization called ?Landmarks Conservancy? would ever allow a blatant transfer like this to transpire, but who knows?

I know.

The Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy had no role in approving the removal of the statue and in fact opposed it from day one.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 19:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
PETER STUYVESANT STATUE HEADS TO THE BEACON FOR RESTORATION

Published: Friday, August 12, 2011, 1:10 PM
Updated: Friday, August 12, 2011, 1:25 PM

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

The nearly 100-year-old statue of Peter Stuyvesant, removed last year from in front of School 11, was taken out of storage today and sent to The Beacon in Jersey City for its upcoming restoration.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy said the statue is now in a better place, out of the elements as restorers begin their work. The Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy has raised $9,000 for the restoration, but creating a new pedestal for the statue will cost around $75,000.

"We're going to call on the Board of Education and the county to help fund this," Healy said today.

Stuyvesant was the last governor-general of Bergen Village, which eventually became Jersey City. The statue was dedicated in 1913, and stood in front of School 11 in Bergen Square until is was moved last February to make room for a monument to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the school's namesake.

But that monument never materialized, and the Stuyvesant statue, once restored and given a new pedestal, will return to its home in front of the school.

John Hallanan, president of the landmarks conservancy, is hopeful the restoration will begin soon. There is not much work to do, considering the statue's age, he said.

"The statue represents the very founding of the community we know today as Jersey City," Hallanan said. "It really gets to the heart of this community's history."

? 2011 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have been following the theft of the sculpture with much interest. As far as I can tell, this is what happened. Some of my facts may be off but this is how I remember it: A few years ago Hudson County Community College built itself a little park and wouldn?t it be nice to have a sculpture or something as a focal point? Why not get the existing sculpture of Peter Cooper and remove it from the public land its always been situated on and move it to our privately owned park? O.K. somehow this happened. Presumably some of our elected officials signed off on it, I whish I knew which ones. I would hate to think anyone from an organization called ?Landmarks Conservancy? would ever allow a blatant transfer like this to transpire, but who knows? I never noticed anything wrong with the condition of the sculpture while it was in its proper place. Any damage or ?need of restoration? would have to be the result of its removal or improper handling. So in my opinion there was a crime that occurred. The school attempted to steal the artwork and was unable to pull it off and perhaps in the process damaged the sculpture. I say the school should pay the entire cost of restoration and a new plinth for the sculpture to sit on. No public money of any sort should be used. Like I said, this is the sequence of events as I remember them and I would be grateful to anyone that could elaborate or correct me if I?m wrong.

Posted on: 2011/8/12 1:59

STUYVESANT STATUE ON THE MOVE!

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
PRESS RELEASE, THE CITY OF JERSEY CITY, THURSDAY, AUGUST 11, 2011

Stuyvesant Statue Begins Latest Leg of the Journey Home

Statue Will Be Stored at The Beacon for Restoration Before Returning to Bergen Square

At 11:00 a.m. on Friday August 12, 2011 the statute of Peter Stuyvesant by famed sculptor J. Massey Rhind will begin the next leg of its journey home to Bergen Square.

Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, John Hallanan of the Landmarks Conservancy, George Filopolous of The Beacon, Bob Leach Director of the Jersey City Historical Project, and Maryanne Kelleher, Director of Cultural Affairs and Cliff Perkins, Special Events Coordinator of Cultural Affairs will be on site to witness delivery and sign the Bill of Lading, acknowledging safe arrival.

The Peter Stuyvesant statue will be moved from Burns Brothers on Tonnelle Avenue and will be stored in an old ambulance garage at the former Jersey City Medical Center, now called The Beacon. Generously offered by George Filopolous, this space will be the temporary home for the statue during restoration and until a new base can be constructed to accommodate the nearly ten-foot likeness of the last Governor-General of Bergen Village which eventually became Jersey City.

In January 2010, the statue was removed from its original location, on Bergen Avenue in front of School No. 11 in Jersey City, to become the centerpiece of a new park outside the original village walls of Bergen, however, in response to the massive public outcry blasting the move, Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy vowed to return the statue to its rightful place in Jersey City, the original location within Bergen Square.

?The statue of Peter Stuyvesant is an important part of Jersey City?s history and pride,? said Mayor Healy. ?Restoring the statue and returning it to its original location is vital to preserving our history. It is also my hope that, together with the efforts of my administration, the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, the Jersey City Board of Education and Hudson County Community College, we can accomplish this.?

Mayor Healy assigned the Jersey City Division of Cultural Affairs and the Jersey City Historical Project to the task of bringing this beloved historically significant public sculpture home to its significant location. These agencies are working in concert with the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, Burns Brothers and the Beacon to coordinate the move, restoration and re-placement.

On January 12, 2011, the Jersey City Municipal Council adopted Resolution 11-009, Authorizing a Bailment Agreement with Beacon Commerce Urban Renewal Company LLC, to store and Preserve the State of Peter Stuyvesant. Among other insurance and delivery incidentals, the resolution recaps the significant dedication of the Stuyvesant monument to the City of Jersey City and states ?Whereas, in February of 2010 the statue of Peter Stuyvesant was ordered to be removed from the site by the Jersey City Board of Education and/or the Hudson County Community College without the knowledge or consent of the City of Jersey City.? The Resolution was passed unanimously by the Council.

Fundraising to restore the statue and base are already underway and will continue. The Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy has already raised in excess of $9,000 towards this restoration effort.

Mayor Healy and Councilwoman Nydia Lopez solicited financial support from Hudson County Community College and the Jersey City Board of Education to fund this proper re-location and needed restoration.

?The statute of Peter Stuyvesant belongs in Bergen Square? said John Hallanan, President of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy. ?Bergen Square was the very heart of the Dutch community of Bergen, the first permanent settlement in New Jersey. That is why the statue was placed in Bergen Square in 1913 and why it should be returned there. I want to thank Mayor Healy for keeping his promise, and for all the members of his administration who worked so hard to make that promise a reality.?

All media inquiries should be directed to Jennifer Morrill, Press Secretary to Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy at 201-547-4836 or 201-376-0699.

To learn more about the Peter Stuyvesant Monument, its famed sculptor J. Massey Rhind, and the present preservation campaign to restore it, go to:

www.jclandmarks.org

Posted on: 2011/8/11 21:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017