Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Nail Salons of Jersey City!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/20 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Wow. Spoken like a true apathetic person... I guess people who like to hire underage prostitutes could posit the same argument: it's the job of government (or, someone else) to look after their welfare. Your argument is weak and, really, only proves what I stated before: people LOVE to play dumb and avoid taking or accepting responsibility for how their actions and demands impact humans, animals, or the environment.

Watch those panties, bodhipooh.

I was speaking strictly of occupational health and safety, which in the case of nail salons is obviously related to the prolonged exposure to solvents and other potentially toxic chemicals. We are not experts, nor do we possess the time, resources, authority, or inclination to investigate, assess, or enforce remedies for workplace safety concerns. That?s precisely why there are government agencies tasked with those responsibilities.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Pretty funny to see people getting their panties in a bunch over this story. I guess people rather go through life playing dumb, or with their heads stuck in the sand, than face the reality of their surroundings. How could ANYONE think that any of these nail places can stay afloat and turn a profit by charging $10 for a manicure when rents are so high, and while "employing" so many individuals, unless they are cutting corners somewhere, or shafting their employees??

All of these services and conveniences of which people avail themselves at incredibly low prices are obviously coming at somebody's expense, or by cutting corners somewhere. Stop playing dumb, acknowledge it and make peace with that. Or, choose to patronize services and businesses that you know are doing the right thing, but which will cost you much more.

It?s still the job of the government to mandate and enforce occupational health and safety regulations. It?s certainly admirable and wise to care about others, but it?s not our place to insure that all people whose work we benefit from are afforded the protections to which they?re entitled. There?s already a mechanism in place for that.

Wow. Spoken like a true apathetic person... I guess people who like to hire underage prostitutes could posit the same argument: it's the job of government (or, someone else) to look after their welfare. Your argument is weak and, really, only proves what I stated before: people LOVE to play dumb and avoid taking or accepting responsibility for how their actions and demands impact humans, animals, or the environment.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Pretty funny to see people getting their panties in a bunch over this story. I guess people rather go through life playing dumb, or with their heads stuck in the sand, than face the reality of their surroundings. How could ANYONE think that any of these nail places can stay afloat and turn a profit by charging $10 for a manicure when rents are so high, and while "employing" so many individuals, unless they are cutting corners somewhere, or shafting their employees??

All of these services and conveniences of which people avail themselves at incredibly low prices are obviously coming at somebody's expense, or by cutting corners somewhere. Stop playing dumb, acknowledge it and make peace with that. Or, choose to patronize services and businesses that you know are doing the right thing, but which will cost you much more.

It?s still the job of the government to mandate and enforce occupational health and safety regulations. It?s certainly admirable and wise to care about others, but it?s not our place to insure that all people whose work we benefit from are afforded the protections to which they?re entitled. There?s already a mechanism in place for that.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
It's the same story with a lot of businesses around here, minus the nail chemicals, "Asian Food" on 440, the back half of most of the restaurants in town, most contractors, particularly Dixon Leasing. The state just turns a blind eye towards most of it.
someone should send them a warning letter and tell these errant businesses to improve their ways or shut down if they can't or won't abide by the law.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
It's the same story with a lot of businesses around here, minus the nail chemicals, "Asian Food" on 440, the back half of most of the restaurants in town, most contractors, particularly Dixon Leasing. The state just turns a blind eye towards most of it.

Exactly... Pretty funny to see people getting their panties in a bunch over this story. I guess people rather go through life playing dumb, or with their heads stuck in the sand, than face the reality of their surroundings. How could ANYONE think that any of these nail places can stay afloat and turn a profit by charging $10 for a manicure when rents are so high, and while "employing" so many individuals, unless they are cutting corners somewhere, or shafting their employees??

This is just like people who LOVE to profess their aversion to animal cruelty and demand that all animals should be treated humanely, but then turn around and bitch and moan about the cost of chicken when it goes over $2/lb. You can't have it both ways. You can't possibly expect everything to be absurdly cheap, and then act flabbergasted when someone points out that to bring you cheap food (and services) someone is cutting corners somewhere.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/11 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo ordered emergency measures on Sunday to combat the wage theft and health hazards faced by the thousands of people who work in New York State?s nail salon industry.

Effective immediately, he said in a statement, a new, multiagency task force will conduct salon-by-salon investigations, institute new rules that salons must follow to protect manicurists from the potentially dangerous chemicals found in nail products, and begin a six-language education campaign to inform them of their rights.

Nail salons that do not comply with orders to pay workers back wages, or are unlicensed, will be shut down. The new rules come in response to a New York Times investigation of nail salons ? first published online last week ? that detailed the widespread exploitation of manicurists, many of whom have illnesses that some scientists and health advocates say are caused by the chemicals with which they work.

Story
that was very quick...great job, mr. cuomo. i'm sure the same bs is going over on this side of the hudson.

Indeed, Jersey City, is infested with these types of establishments, but they always seem to be packed with the typical, oblivious clientele.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo ordered emergency measures on Sunday to combat the wage theft and health hazards faced by the thousands of people who work in New York State?s nail salon industry.

Effective immediately, he said in a statement, a new, multiagency task force will conduct salon-by-salon investigations, institute new rules that salons must follow to protect manicurists from the potentially dangerous chemicals found in nail products, and begin a six-language education campaign to inform them of their rights.

Nail salons that do not comply with orders to pay workers back wages, or are unlicensed, will be shut down. The new rules come in response to a New York Times investigation of nail salons ? first published online last week ? that detailed the widespread exploitation of manicurists, many of whom have illnesses that some scientists and health advocates say are caused by the chemicals with which they work.

Story
that was very quick...great job, mr. cuomo. i'm sure the same bs is going over on this side of the hudson.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 11:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Story

Posted on: 2015/5/11 10:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i read a very disturbing article on nail salons and abuse of immigrant workers in today's ny times. i would urge to not patronize salons that are charging ultra-low rates because that likely means that the workers are being very little, if even that. i hope nj/jersey city starts to investigate these businesses and shut down the errant operators,

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/nyr ... otected.html?ref=nyregion

Posted on: 2015/5/10 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Another industry exploiting workers and their health for people who suffer from vanity - I've never been past a place that didn't have foreign workers with masks on their faces to help mitigate some of the harmful / cheap chemicals in use ... by the way your finger nails look good!

Posted on: 2015/5/8 22:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Similar stories of illness and tragedy abound at nail salons across the country, of children born slow or ?special,? of miscarriages and cancers, of coughs that will not go away and painful skin afflictions. The stories have become so common that older manicurists warn women of child-bearing age away from the business, with its potent brew of polishes, solvents, hardeners and glues that nail workers handle daily.

A growing body of medical research shows a link between the chemicals that make nail and beauty products useful ? the ingredients that make them chip-resistant and pliable, quick to dry and brightly colored, for example ? and serious health problems.

Part II Nice Nails!

Posted on: 2015/5/8 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Price of Nice Nails
Manicurists are routinely underpaid and exploited, and endure ethnic bias and other abuse, The New York Times has found.

Story

Why does this not surprise me?

Posted on: 2015/5/7 19:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/14 2:06
From 2nd Floor on Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I always go to Ultimate Nail Care at 299 Grove Street- it's small, no-frills, affordable, been around a long time, and their pedicures last me a long time. Helen and the ladies who work there are great!

Posted on: 2014/9/3 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Not sure what kicked this thread off, but can anyone recomment a place for a pedicure downtown? Nothing fancy just clean, competent and preferably not with giant windows.

Posted on: 2014/9/2 11:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Did it ever occur to you that people operate cash businesses for reasons other than just profits?

Posted on: 2014/9/1 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
I think a Polish Festival would be fitting.

Posted on: 2014/9/1 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I heard there's going to be a nail salon/pizza fusion coming soon.

Posted on: 2014/9/1 19:15

Nail Salons of Jersey City!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users
You are the WORST!! All of you!

Jesus. i would pay TOP DOLLAR for a decent pedicure and decent customer service. If only I could do this downtown. Sadly all of these salons are terrible and run by people who somehow know NOTHING about service.

Here's a tip - If someone is trying to GIVE YOU MONEY and is standing right in front of you, maybe for five seconds you should pretend to appreciate their business and not ignore them while carrying on a conversation with the person working next to you.

I was in the service industry myself for years, and if I can do it, anyone can.

Posted on: 2014/9/1 19:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017